Charlotte 11/12/2016

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

uncle rickey

Charlotte 11/12/2016

Post by uncle rickey »

Baggage
Uncle Frank
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Surrender Under Protest
Sinkhole
Sounds Better in the Song
Plastic Flowers on the Highway
Ramon Casiano
Do It Yourself
Zip City
Ever South
Made Up English Oceans
The Righteous Path
A Ghost to Most
The Guns of Umpqua
One of These Days
The Southern Thing
Women Without Whiskey
The Company I Keep
Filthy and Fried
Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife
Primer Coat
Let There Be Rock
Kinky Hypocrite
Gimme Some Truth
Once They Banned Imagine
Hell No, I Ain't Happy-->
Rockin' in the Free World-->
Hell No, I Ain't Happy

Yeah, so... yeah.

marissa

Re: Charlotte 11/12/2016

Post by marissa »

Plastic Flowers on the Highway was one that I did not expect, but was very into. It's been a while since I recall hearing it live. (Same with Do It Yourself).

Killer set, overall. I was a little too far into my front-row one lady party tunnel vision, so I really never got a good look at the rest of the crowd, but that was the perfect cathartic rock show for me. Addressing the madness that this week has been, but rowdy enough to blow off some steam.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Rockin in the motherfuckin free world. Might have been the loudest I've heard people singing along
Always go to the show

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

This was one hell of a show!! Got to chat briefly with Jonicont, Cooleygirl, Uncle Rickey, Adam and Cole. Flea, it was great to get to know you a bit more and to benefit from your vinyl generosity. Plastic flowers, Uncle Frank, Company I keep, slower groovy and gritty Southern Thing, Gimme some truth, all the new gems with the thunder finish of Hell No/Rocking in the Free world/Hell No made this show special for me. Enjoying it with my beautiful wife and my oldest son while also randomly running into my cousin was icing on the cake!! Thank you to our favorite band for providing a lift when it was needed.
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Jonicont wrote:Rockin in the motherfuckin free world. Might have been the loudest I've heard people singing along
Fuck. Last time I'm too tired to go to another show. Fuck, fuck, fuck.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Flea

Post by Flea »

brett27295 wrote:
Jonicont wrote:Rockin in the motherfuckin free world. Might have been the loudest I've heard people singing along
Fuck. Last time I'm too tired to go to another show. Fuck, fuck, fuck.
What was that saying about always going to the show?
Now it's dark.

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

I think Charlotte is only 6 hours from Richmond, I should have gone to this one as well, I could have pulled it off, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. :lol:

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Flea wrote: What was that saying about always going to the show?
Yeah, yeah....I also remember someone telling me Friday night in Richmond to go to Charlotte too. It was good advice that I ignored.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Daddy_played_poker wrote:This was one hell of a show!! Got to chat briefly with Jonicont, Cooleygirl, Uncle Rickey, Adam and Cole. Flea, it was great to get to know you a bit more and to benefit from your vinyl generosity. Plastic flowers, Uncle Frank, Company I keep, slower groovy and gritty Southern Thing, Gimme some truth, all the new gems with the thunder finish of Hell No/Rocking in the Free world/Hell No made this show special for me. Enjoying it with my beautiful wife and my oldest son while also randomly running into my cousin was icing on the cake!! Thank you to our favorite band for providing a lift when it was needed.

I wanted to add one more tidbit to what I said about Saturday's show in Charlotte. We saw the band play a few years ago in Haw River, NC soon after Jay G. was forced into "guitar service" and while his skills were evident, there was an adjustment period with that change (pedals, guitars, amp tone, switching between keys, etc.). This is not a critique, just my view of the reality of the situation. The confidence and kick ass guitar contributions that Jay offered in Charlotte impressed me more than anything I can recall from the night. His style and increased presence in the mix have brought the overall sound to a level that is off the charts. Jay is indeed the swiss army knife of musicians and a powerhouse no matter what he is playing at the time!!
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

Flea

Post by Flea »

Daddy_played_poker wrote: The confidence and kick ass guitar contributions that Jay offered in Charlotte impressed me more than anything I can recall from the night. His style and increased presence in the mix have brought the overall sound to a level that is off the charts. Jay is indeed the swiss army knife of musicians and a powerhouse no matter what he is playing at the time!!
Seeing Jay at the keyboards with a guitar about his neck and switching between the 2 instruments is a thing of beauty.
Now it's dark.

Eem

Post by Eem »

After the Philly show, I told my buddies how much Jay improves every single time I see the band. He fits like a damn glove right now

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

Eem wrote:After the Philly show, I told my buddies how much Jay improves every single time I see the band. He fits like a damn glove right now
Definitely. Last time I saw them electric, was the same situation. A couple months after Neff bailed and left them hanging. (I really need to get to a show, last one was acoustic). At that point I kind of wondered what they were thinking honestly. Jay was great at keys and vocals, but seemed to be lost half the time on guitar. Now I love it. He fits perfectly, and has picked up and made each song his own and I really think he's probably the best they've had in the "lead guitar" role (aside from Isbell's songwriting obviously, but just on the guitar). He's got a unique style, and sound, as do Patterson and Cooley. You can always tell who's playing lead and the 3 guitars all have a uniqueness to them that makes it a good thing musically, instead of just "3 guitars" for the sake of it.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I found it interesting that Jay is actually first and foremost a guitarist and a keyboardist second.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Smitty wrote:I found it interesting that Jay is actually first and foremost a guitarist and a keyboardist second.
Dude reminds me of Geddy Lee in his variety of skills being used all at once.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Smitty wrote:I found it interesting that Jay is actually first and foremost a guitarist and a keyboardist second.
Agreed. i wouldn't have guessed that. Having seen him on guitar for the first time at the 930 Club show when he made his DBT guitar debut, I thought sound-wise, he was great, rocked it, shredded it, etc... Only thought his "guitar" mannerisms, poses, body language, weren't "guitar player like"... Needless to say, he seems to have gotten better at that, more comfortable. He just better make sure he keeps that Green Card at the ready... ;)

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Plastic Flowers On The Highway!!! FUCK!
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

gepman

Post by gepman »

Thank you kind Sir...

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

This Hell No>Rockin in The Free World combo needs to stick around for awhile, me thinks.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Listening now, through track 10.

Nice recording, great "bass" sound, really thumps... Makes it better to crank in my Mancave and drive the wife and daughter nuts upstairs... :D

Thanks again, John, and also a big thanks to all of the other tapers that have lugged gear, bs'd bouncers/security, recorded shows, put up with drinks spilled on gear worth thousands (hi Alex), and most importantly, shared the shows with us peons.