December solo shows!

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Beaverdam

Re: December solo shows!

Post by Beaverdam »

I got to meet the man, the myth, and the legend, John A last night!

Cooley was on point. I just saw them yesterday but Eyes like Glue made me miss my kids and get misty eyed.

We've checked into the Birmingham hotel and the father-in-law is napping while I enjoy a nice bourbon.

I'm ready for night #2!!!

Eating at Little Donkey (a Mexican fried chicken place...I know it sounds crazy but it was highly recommended)!

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

John A Arkansawyer wrote: It's really too silly a story to tell, isn't it?
Why stop now?
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Per facebook, Cooley made some comments about Trump last night in Birmingham that some in the audience took offense to. Would love to hear from anyone who was there...
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

LBRod wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote: It's really too silly a story to tell, isn't it?
Why stop now?
So here's the punchline: The class I came back to teach this morning? The commitment I couldn't shake? Canceled.
Clams wrote:Per facebook, Cooley made some comments about Trump last night in Birmingham that some in the audience took offense to. Would love to hear from anyone who was there...
It's all my fault.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Clams

Post by Clams »

Clams wrote:Per facebook, Cooley made some comments about Trump last night in Birmingham that some in the audience took offense to. Would love to hear from anyone who was there...
Nobody from this board saw Cooley last night in Birmingham???
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Sometime late at night in the Saturn...

After going on a tirade in which the President Elect was given several interesting names...

Audience Member #1-I voted for him I'm happy he was elected!

Cooley-Fuck you!

Audience Member #2-I voted for him too.

Cooley-Well fuck you too!

Neither a beat nor a breath was missed!

Both nights were a lot of fun!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Beaverdam wrote:Sometime late at night in the Saturn...

After going on a tirade in which the President Elect was given several interesting names...

Cooley-Fuck you!

How dramatic.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

If you were my theater professor would you give me an A on my first play?

It was hilarious last night.

Smitty, I had hoped to see you maybe..

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cooley-Fuck you!

How articulate and pointed.

You're Mike Cooley. Among many other masterworks, you've written and recorded "Ramon Casiano," "Surrender Under Protest" and "Once They Banned Imagine." And then you engage in this clever repartee? I just don't get it. Simply posting about it makes it into a bigger deal than it actually is, 'cause what it is, is a non-event, so I don't want to sound like I'm offended or wringing my hands or anything. It's more like I'm shrugging, like, why bother? If you've got something to say, go right ahead and say it. "Fuck you" is not having something to say.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

beantownbubba wrote:

Cooley-Fuck you!

You're Mike Cooley. Among many other masterworks, you've written and recorded "Ramon Casiano," "Surrender Under Protest" and "Once They Banned Imagine." And then you engage in this clever repartee? I just don't get it. Simply posting about it makes it into a bigger deal than it actually is, 'cause what it is, is a non-event, so I don't want to sound like I'm offended or wringing my hands or anything. It's more like I'm shrugging, like, why bother? If you've got something to say, go right ahead and say it. "Fuck you" is not having something to say.
Btb,
I didn't mean to step on any toes. It was rather funny from the my viewpoint in the audience. The delivery of the FU has become a running joke between my father-in-law and I since watching the show.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:

Cooley-Fuck you!

Quite honestly and without irony I think Cooley says a hell of a lot when he says "fuck you". It is at least in part that he says it rarely.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Or look at it like this...

You're Mike Cooley, author of "Ramon Casiano", " Surrender Under Protest", etc. You're on stage playing these masterworks for the crowd and someone calls that out; what do you do? You can't exactly engage in an articulate and nuanced conversation from the stage. As much of a silver tongued devil as he is, we can't expect him to have some eloquent retort to every single thing yelled at him from the audience. Besides, you're up hearing playing masterworks you wrote, it ain't like you have anything to prove, so you either ignore them (which may or may not shut them up) or you give 'em a good ole "fuck you". Then you play a fucking song.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Quite honestly and without irony I think Cooley says a hell of a lot when he says "fuck you". It is at least in part that he says it rarely.
Smitty wrote:You're on stage playing these masterworks for the crowd and someone calls that out; what do you do? You can't exactly engage in an articulate and nuanced conversation from the stage. As much of a silver tongued devil as he is, we can't expect him to have some eloquent retort to every single thing yelled at him from the audience.
You're both right. But I think I am too.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Quite honestly and without irony I think Cooley says a hell of a lot when he says "fuck you". It is at least in part that he says it rarely.
Smitty wrote:You're on stage playing these masterworks for the crowd and someone calls that out; what do you do? You can't exactly engage in an articulate and nuanced conversation from the stage. As much of a silver tongued devil as he is, we can't expect him to have some eloquent retort to every single thing yelled at him from the audience.
You're both right. But I think I am too.
According to other reports via Facebook, the hecklers also interrupted his stage banter with "shut up and sing a song"; it's beginning to sound like " fuck you" was the appropriate response.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

beantownbubba wrote: You're Mike Cooley. Among many other masterworks, you've written and recorded "Ramon Casiano," "Surrender Under Protest" and "Once They Banned Imagine." And then you engage in this clever repartee? I just don't get it. Simply posting about it makes it into a bigger deal than it actually is, 'cause what it is, is a non-event, so I don't want to sound like I'm offended or wringing my hands or anything. It's more like I'm shrugging, like, why bother? If you've got something to say, go right ahead and say it. "Fuck you" is not having something to say.
I think it's a perfect comeback to what now appears to be heckling from the audience. And it doesn't really stray very far from Cooley's interaction with audience members throughout the history of the band.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brett27295 wrote: And it doesn't really stray very far from Cooley's interaction with audience members throughout the history of the band.
The words are the same, the situation is not. Which is why...
Smitty wrote:According to other reports via Facebook, the hecklers also interrupted his stage banter with "shut up and sing a song"; it's beginning to sound like " fuck you" was the appropriate response.
"Fuck you" might well be, and often is, the appropriate response to heckling.

Look, I know as much as anybody that this is now sounding like an "issue" when it just isn't. But in the spirit of "just yacking," the reason i think it matters at all is that if you're going to take on a meaningful topic like, say, the trump presidency, communicating on the level of "fuck you" is just not helpful. The fact is that sure, Cooley's on stage responding to audience comments and he can't be expected to (a) have the perfect bon mot in response to every situation and (b) articulate a fully reasoned position paper while entertaining a crowd w/ his music (tho a guy who can write Uncle Frank and Once They Banned Imagine might come close). But to write provocative songs in an attempt to provoke thoughts and reactions and then reduce the "debate" to "fuck you" is worse than pointless because it just becomes part of the problem not the solution. And yes, I do recognize how naive I'm being.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

This reminded me of Cooley's "USA!" banter

"You're going to shut the fuck up, cuz I'm your boss from now until the time you walk out that fucking door"

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

I got the Facebook streams split into VBR MP3s for all that are interested. Currently I only have them hosted on my Google Drive in zip format (~100MB each).

Mods, I got approval from Jonicont to post these here.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8zJX ... kNDektfVVk

If you have any trouble downloading from Drive I suggest trying it from a PC browser or get the Drive app for your mobile device. If you still can't get them down, PM me and I will try to get them posted somewhere else.

The Tangled String Studios Cooley show has some choppy audio that starts in MUEO and continues to appear from time to time in certain songs throughout the rest of the set. Unfortunately that is how the FB stream plays back and there is nothing I can do about it.

Also, I noticed in the Sweetwater Music Hall Patterson show that there is a complete audio drop shortly after the 3:30 mark of My Sweet Annette. Again this is how the stream plays back from FB and there is nothing I can do to correct it.
Patterson Hood Track Listing wrote: 01 Intro Banter (Fuck You 2016)
02 Why Henry Drinks
03 Uncle Disney
04 The Deeper In
05 Guns Of Umpqua
06 Banter (The Chicken Wing Circuit)
07 The Opening Act
08 Pay No Attention To Alice
09 Heathens
10 Sinkhole
11 Old Timer's Disease
12 Hanging On
13 Banter (1913 Hoarder House)
14 Daddy Needs A Drink
15 Two Daughters And A Beautiful Wife
16 My Sweet Annette
17 Banter (Yea It's About Roll Tide Too)
18 Ever South
19 Banter (He Told Me So)
20 Bulldozers And Dirt
21 George Jones Talkin Cell Phone Blues
22 Banter (Grandaddy Intro)
23 Grandaddy
24 I'm In Love With A Girl
25 Hell No I Ain't Happy
26 Banter (Fuck You 2016, You Fuckin Mother Fucker Of A Year)
27 I Believe In Father Christmas
Mike Cooley Track List wrote: 1 Cooley Intro Banter
2 Space City
3 Self Destructive Zones
4 Perfect Timing
5 Gravity's Gone
6 Pulaski
7 Marry Me
8 Birthday Boy
9 First Air Of Autumn
10 72 (This Highway's Mean)
11 Women Without Whiskey
12 Uncle Frank
13 Zip City
14 Cottonseed
15 Everybody Needs Love
16 Banter (If You Can't Eat Or Fuck It, Steal It)
17 Made Up English Oceans
18 Surrender Under Protest
19 Sounds Better In The Song
20 A Ghost To Most
21 Banter (The Concept Of Looking Busy)
22 Shit Shots Count
23 Banter (I Know What Bullshit Smells Like And I Don't Spread It)
24 Love Like This
Enjoy!
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Patterson jumped into the fray on FB and added this post. Too good not to share here
Patterson Hood wrote:It is not the artist's job to make the customer happy. It is the artist's job to do what the artist does in the service of his (her) art. Picasso did not seek to make customers happy or else he would never have created Cubism which was quite controversial in its day. And yes, Picasso was often quite political. The Beatles would have kept their mop tops and suits and never created The White Album. Dylan would not have plugged in and DBT would not have risked what everyone told us was certain failure in self releasing a 2 disc manifesto about growing up punk in the age of Wallace.

Cooley's not always pleasant to be around but he's the greatest artist I've ever known. He can make "Fuck You" a high art.

We knew we stood to lose a sizable portion of our base in making this album and stand. It's what we feel called upon to do and we have no regrets.
We just had our most successful year ever but regardless we're proud to be considered among the vocal opposition to an administration that we consider counter to our every deep held belief.

Rock and Roll dies when it seeks to serve a customer.
Rock and Roll matters when it is willing to Fuck Shit Up.
Long Live Rock and Roll.

Merry Xmas and Stand United in 2017 to Fight the Powers that be.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Patterson Hood wrote:a 2 disc manifesto about growing up punk in the age of Wallace.
of course.

and

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

"Cooley's not always pleasant to be around but he's the greatest artist I've ever known. He can make "Fuck You" a high art. "

I've only had a few brief encounters w the man but this got a big chuckle out of me. Something honest and succinct that only a close friend could/ would say. And I'm sure Cooley would be the first one to agree (w the part about not always not always being pleasant) Can't wait for the Ogden shows next month. First Denver proper shows since the Fillmore on the EO tour
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

That shitstorm/clusterfuck of a thread on the DBT's FB fan page is a good example of why I mostly steer clear of the politics on social media. I can hold my own in those discussions but when you're dealing with those that are clearly batshit crazy, it can be difficult to have anything approaching a rational discussion.

Beaverdamsfinlaw

Post by Beaverdamsfinlaw »

If you say something to the guy on stage you opened yourself up to a response.
There are times when you want to have a interesting discussion of different opinions and ideas. Other times you go straight to the nut cutting, Fuck you is straight to the nut cutting. You could tell it wasn't his first time using the phrase and was said so well. I hope I live up to that standard the next time I use it to express an opinion.
Just my reflection in my mama's tears