December solo shows!

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: December solo shows!

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

PieceByPiece wrote:Patterson Hood and Chris Funk, Sunset Tavern, Seattle, 12/3/16

Setlist:
Grand Canyon
Sun Don't Shine
The Fourth Night of My Drinking
Granddaddy
Sinkhole
HeAthens
Ever South
Hanging On
Daddy Needs a Drink
Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife
Guns of Umpqua
This Fucking Job
My Sweet Annette
The Opening Act
Pay No Attention To Alice
Uncle Disney
One Day (When I'm a Granddaddy)
Sands of Iwo Jima
What It Means
E:
You're So Vain
Star Spangled banner
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Did Chris Funk play with Patterson, or was he the opener? huge Decemberists fan here, Chris is awesome
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Patterson Hood solo Felton CA 12/09/2016

Airplane Screams
Heathens
Uncle Disney
Sinkhole
Why Henry Drinks
Used to be a Cop
Ever South
Hang On
Daddy Needs a Drink
2 Daughters
The Deeper In
12:01
Better Than the Truth
Guns of Umpqua
Oldtimers Disease
Granddaddy
What It Means
DD&N
I Believe In Father Christmas
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

LBRod wrote:Patterson Hood solo Felton CA 12/09/2016
Used to be a Cop
Ever South
You'd be surprised, if you haven't heard it, how well Used To Be A Cop works solo.

On Ever South, something really interesting happened. You know how at the Rock Show people sing along and get rowdy and that doesn't always work in a solo acoustic show? So on Ever South, at the end of verses, Patterson would sing the repeat line the first time, then people sang along, very quietly, on the second time. The light touch worked; these ain't clap-along songs. It was a little eerie and very moving, especially two thousand miles from home as I was. And missing it a little.

And a big thanks to LBRod for hanging with me and figuring out how to get those keys out of my car!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Used to be a Cop
Ever South
You'd be surprised, if you haven't heard it, how well Used To Be A Cop works solo.

On Ever South, something really interesting happened. You know how at the Rock Show people sing along and get rowdy and that doesn't always work in a solo acoustic show? So on Ever South, at the end of verses, Patterson would sing the repeat line the first time, then people sang along, very quietly, on the second time. The light touch worked; these ain't clap-along songs. It was a little eerie and very moving, especially two thousand miles from home as I was. And missing it a little.

And a big thanks to LBRod for hanging with me and figuring out how to get those keys out of my car!
It was good to see you John. I did not know that you had key/car issues. Which may be a good thing, as my car opening skills are confined to wrecking the window seals with coathangers/knives/golf clubs and such.
Wasn't that a great show? The wife commented on the gentle way PH shut down the dude that was clapping... that was a master stroke.
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Who's going to be at The Sweetwater on Sunday?
Keep calm and have a cigar

John A Arkansawyer

sactochris wrote:Who's going to be at The Sweetwater on Sunday?
I heard some hipster dude from Portland is playing. Anyone have a better show to go to? That's a long-ass drive just for hippie shit.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

drommel56 wrote:Wasn't that a great show? The wife commented on the gentle way PH shut down the dude that was clapping... that was a master stroke.
He didn't totally stop the guy, but he got him to want to stop. When he'd start again--just getting into the show, I'm sure, not being an ass--two or three handclaps and he'd stop. It was really gentle and yet completely effective.

I do have a question: Which song did someone yell for that made Patterson laugh and say, "You're trying to get me killed"? I couldn't hear, but I'm guessing The President's Penis Is Missing.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Used to be a Cop
Ever South

Rod and John A hanging out together? More goodness concentrated in that duo than the law out to allow.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

UnclePoopelo

Post by UnclePoopelo »

Went to both Santa Monica shows- so much fun!

8:00 show

Grand Canyon
When Walter Went Crazy
Old Timer's Disease
Guns of Umpqua
Heathens
The Deeper In
Why Henry Drinks
Two Daughters and A Beautiful Wife
Daddy Needs A Drink
The Righteous Path
Ever South
Uncle Disney
The Opening Act
One Day (When I'm A Granddaddy)
The Sands of Iwo Jima
What It Means

10:00 Show

Airplane Screams
The Living Bubba
Hanging On
Sinkhole
Better Than The Truth
Baggage
Ever South
Heathens
Used To Be A Cop
Tornadoes
What It Means
A World of Hurt

Clams

Post by Clams »

UnclePoopelo wrote:Went to both Santa Monica shows- so much fun!

8:00 show

Grand Canyon
When Walter Went Crazy
Old Timer's Disease
Guns of Umpqua
Heathens
The Deeper In
Why Henry Drinks
Daddy Needs A Drink
The Righteous Path
Ever South
Uncle Disney
The Opening Act
One Day (When I'm A Granddaddy)
The Sands of Iwo Jima
What It Means

10:00 Show

Airplane Screams
The Living Bubba
Hanging On
Sinkhole
Better Than The Truth
Baggage
Ever South
Heathens
Used To Be A Cop
Tornadoes
What It Means
A World of Hurt
That must have been a lot of fun. Did they clear the place out in between shows?
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

UnclePoopelo

Post by UnclePoopelo »

Yeah, they cleared it out. I didn't pay too much attention to faces but it seemed at first glance that the crowd for both shows was totally different aside from me and a few other people.

Patterson seemed to be in a great mood, and the crowd was super respectful. McCabe's is such a great, professional quality venue so it just set up for a great night.

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

They're streaming tonight's show over on Patterson's FB page. And whaddya know, it's Sunday night and I've got shit else to do. Hopefully I can watch it despite not having a facebook account.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

So Stoked that Patterson allowed tonight's show to be streamed.
We couldn't make the weekend trip, so this is a very nice surprise.
Happy Holidays Everyone...Thanks Patterson
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Patterson Hood 12/11/2016 Sweetwater, Mill Valley

Why Henry Drinks
Uncle Disney
The Deeper In
Guns of Umpqua
Opening Act
Pay No Attention to Alice
Heathens
Sinkhole
Oldtimer's Disease
Hanging On
Daddy Needs a Drink
2 Daughters
My Sweet Annette
Ever South
Bulldozers and Dirt
George Jones
Granddaddy
I'm In Love With a Girl
Hell No
I Believe in Father Christmas

Great night, and great crowd.

edit - thanks for the reminder, Coney.
Last edited by LBRod on Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coney

Post by Coney »

I think The Deeper In was #3.
What a great venue/crowd to see my first PH solo show. Probably didn't need that last tequila shot though.
Beeesides, them's highway miles...

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Coney wrote:I think The Deeper In was #3.
What a great venue/crowd to see my first PH solo show. Probably didn't need that last tequila shot though.
Yes it was. Typing at 2:50 AM is probably a bad idea. Nice to meet you & John.

Coney

Post by Coney »

That was so much fun. I am sorry it's over with no shows on the horizon for us.
Beeesides, them's highway miles...

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Hey, I understand that the Cooley show is rumored to be streaming tonight on The Tangled Strings Studio fb page.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Looking forward to Florence. My father-in-law will be getting into town around showtime, but if anyone wants to grab dinner after, just find me!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

alquina wrote:Hey, I understand that the Cooley show is rumored to be streaming tonight on The Tangled Strings Studio fb page.
Hate to be that guy, but this is kind of awful
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
alquina wrote:Hey, I understand that the Cooley show is rumored to be streaming tonight on The Tangled Strings Studio fb page.
What's awful about it? I was home in Pennsylvania and watched Cooley sing Uncle Frank live from Alabama. How is that possibly awful?

And btw Zip, you are frequently that guy
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:
What's awful about it? I was home in Pennsylvania and watched Cooley sing Uncle Frank live from Alabama. How is that possibly awful?

And btw Zip, you are frequently that guy
I know I am :lol:

I watched about a half dozen songs, and Cooley basically just sort of talked his way through all of them while noodling on the guitar. He didn't actually sing the melody on any of them or play any of the riffs (or even chord sequences). I get it, it's a solo acoustic show, but I hated all of the arrangements.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

gepman

Post by gepman »

Zip City wrote:
I know I am :lol:

I watched about a half dozen songs, and Cooley basically just sort of talked his way through all of them while noodling on the guitar. He didn't actually sing the melody on any of them or play any of the riffs (or even chord sequences). I get it, it's a solo acoustic show, but I hated all of the arrangements.
Have to admit I'm in agreement with Zip on the arrangements / melodies. On a lot of the songs, I can't tell which one he is playing until he starts singing. A lot of it just all sounds generic and the same to me.

That is why I do like the Dirt Underneath stuff, they maintain the pace / riffs / melodies...

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I won't go as far as Zip but I definitely prefer full DBT shows to Cooley solo shows. On the other hand I really like Patterson's solo shows. To each their own I suppose.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

gepman

Post by gepman »

brett27295 wrote:I won't go as far as Zip but I definitely prefer full DBT shows to Cooley solo shows. On the other hand I really like Patterson's solo shows. To each their own I suppose.
Agreed, I really enjoy the solo Patterson shows too. He maintains the song structure / pace / chords etc... The banter is also a plus.

John A Arkansawyer

I just had a fairly terrible experience on the way into work, terrible enough that my boss offered me the day off. I said no, but I have to admit: If someone had a spare ticket for tonight's show to sell me in time for me to get there, I'd go for it. It seems like a shame to waste a good excuse for an unexpected day off. Especially since it was a really terrible experience.

ETA: I don't really expect to find a ticket. I just wanted to whine in a positive, constructive manner.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

In all seriousness I think we do have an extra.

My father-in-law purchased one for my brother-in-law who now can't go. Let me know if you're interested!

John A Arkansawyer

Beaverdam wrote:In all seriousness I think we do have an extra.

My father-in-law purchased one for my brother-in-law who now can't go. Let me know if you're interested!
Oh, dear god. I really want you to be lying to me. So now let me see if I can make it happen. Because I really want you to be telling me the truth.

John A Arkansawyer

Oh, dear god. I really want you to be lying to me. So now let me see if I can make it happen. Because I really want you to be telling me the truth.
I am doing yet another stupid ridiculous thing this month and I don't feel too bad at all...um, I mean, I feel fine, I feel fine.

John A Arkansawyer

I am doing yet another stupid ridiculous thing this month and I don't feel too bad at all...um, I mean, I feel fine, I feel fine.
It's really too silly a story to tell, isn't it?