The Highway Kind

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Will

The Highway Kind

Post by Will »

This is really cool. The DBT Facebook page posted that Patterson's got a short story featured in this collection of cars and crime. I was already planning on picking it up because of the stories from Joe Lansdale and Willy Vlautin.

http://www.mulhollandbooks.com/books/fa ... hway-kind/

BigTom
Site Admin

Re: The Highway Kind

Post by BigTom »

Patterson was telling me about this at Red Rocks. Been looking forward to it. Ordered it yesterday.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Will wrote:This is really cool. The DBT Facebook page posted that Patterson's got a short story featured in this collection of cars and crime. I was already planning on picking it up because of the stories from Joe Lansdale and Willy Vlautin.

http://www.mulhollandbooks.com/books/fa ... hway-kind/
Holy shit, that's some serious company!!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Ordered! And Kelly Braffet is a friend of mine, and a terrific writer. Looking forward to this.

redstains

Post by redstains »

even has a soundtrack. dbt makes it on there with zip city. i'd have picked the tough sell but i sure won't argue.

http://www.mulhollandbooks.com/2016/10/ ... hway-kind/

patterson's story is fun, rings very true just like his songwriting. with this one he's just having fun tho. nice break from the tough subjects and hard hitting of american band. love the eight track and the sagging headliner. really nice details, really happy to see he's writing other stuff and hopeful for some more.

after reading patterson's i started at the beginning. first one's pretty good and second one's off to a good start. this is right up my alley but i read slow as christmas. that's ok - it came out just at the right time to spend my aunt nan's birthday check, and i should be done by the same time next year. maybe patterson will have something else out by then?

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

I tried to discipline myself and not skip right ahead to Patterson and Kelly's stories, but couldn't resist.

I agree, Patterson's story is really good! I laughed out loud a few times (the part about the kid 'literally playing with fire,' etc). He's a strong writer (no surprise there, but then again not every great lyricist writes great prose), and I too hope he does more of this sort of thing. I'd love to read a whole book of Patterson short stories, based on how much I enjoyed this one.