Vancouver, 10/02/16

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

SouthernFriedCanuck

Vancouver, 10/02/16

Post by SouthernFriedCanuck »

Hi folks. Been a while...

Tonight's rawk show was at The Rickshaw Theatre. A "kung fu movie house turned live music venue". Patterson said so. It actually is. Band came on at 10:20pm. It's a pretty good venue. Not spectacular. Very hot inside, luckily, drink service is very quick. The sound wasn't great in the balcony but it was much better on the main floor. All the instruments were clear, as was Patterson's mic. Cooley's mic could have been better.

After about half an hour I noticed that some of the songs weren't getting their long glorious guitar endings. It was evident on several songs. Patterson states at 11:40 that they have a hard curfew of midnight, which makes it clear; they're shortening some songs so they can fit in more. I like that. Lots of energy from the band. The venue is really full. Good to see!

Unfortunately, my new vinyl and disc have not arrived yet. It takes longer to get to Canada, eh. So I do not know all of the songs yet. Please forgive me. I have written down a line I think is the song title, but probably isn't. for example, the first song:

Darkness in Me
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Darkened Flags
Surrender Under Protest
The Guns of Umpqua
Buttholeville (for Bill, a guy he had lunch with)
A Cooley Song mic was really bad, I couldn't get a single lyric
What it Means sounded great!!
Filthy and Fried
2 Daughters ans a Beautiful Wife
One of These Days
The Company I Keep
Sun Don't Shine
Bitch is Back
Women Without Whiskey always great!
Let There Be Rock Patterson gave a shout out to the Tragically Hip for the courage it took to do what they did and how rock and roll can save lives. As it did with him.
Marry Me
Hell No I Ain't Happy-
-Sign o the Times-
-Hell No I Ain't Happy

Off at 11:58. We didn't get as long of a teeth kicking in as Seattle did. But we still got our teeth kicked in. Felt great!! Looking forward to a Friday or Saturday show next time through.

Cheers! Thanks for reading.
"It's fucking great to be alive!"

chuckrh

Re: Vancouver, 10/02/16

Post by chuckrh »

I noticed Mike's mic was low in the mix a few songs in Seattle, too. It was corrected quickly.

badeconomist

Post by badeconomist »

Packed house at The Rickshaw, a smaller venue in Canada's poorest postal code. Sound could have been better. Lydia Loveless put on a decent opening set.

Seems like DBT played most of the new album. Thanks to NPR for streaming it last week so I had several listens and knew most of the songs. The new songs are growing on me, and nice to hear live versions, but none of them rates as high as classic material off SRO, DD or TDS. People I talked to in the audience didn't know any of the new material -- but they responded well.

I didn't recognize that slow, brooding first song (Darkness in Me?, says SFC) they played. But basically it was all new AO and then all old stuff, almost nothing in-between. No EO, TBTD, or GGB, with Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife the only song between TDS (2004) and AB (2016). So we got treated to a Buttholeville, The Company I Keep, One of These Days, Where the Devil Don't Stay, WWW, Marry Me and an epic Hell No I Ain't Happy closer. Cover of The Bitch was fun, too.

Shame about the curfew. Maybe the band could have come on earlier? 1 hour, 40 min seems too little for DBT show.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Your reference to Darkness in Me sounds like "Baggage", which is the closing track on the new album.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

badeconomist wrote: Shame about the curfew. Maybe the band could have come on earlier? 1 hour, 40 min seems too little for DBT show.
Yep, never understand this. If there's a hard curfew the opener should go on earlier.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

SouthernFriedCanuck

Post by SouthernFriedCanuck »

"Baggage". Thank you pearlbeer.
"It's fucking great to be alive!"

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

brett27295 wrote:
badeconomist wrote: Shame about the curfew. Maybe the band could have come on earlier? 1 hour, 40 min seems too little for DBT show.
Yep, never understand this. If there's a hard curfew the opener should go on earlier.
or no opener
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Flea

Post by Flea »

Did my Pickle make it to Vancouver, or did he misplace his passport?
Now it's dark.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Flea wrote:Did my Pickle make it to Vancouver, or did he misplace his passport?
Last I heard he was hitching down the coast from Portland.

Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Good on passport but I was holding and didn't want to risk customs.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Hey, Sir Pickle: the scuttlebutt is that you have cousins with a dbt flavor. I looked under merch on the website and could not find them- just a bunch of new tote-bags. What gives?

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

211poundsofpork wrote:Hey, Sir Pickle: the scuttlebutt is that you have cousins with a dbt flavor. I looked under merch on the website and could not find them- just a bunch of new tote-bags. What gives?
That DBT lighter was one of the brand-new merch items I saw last week (along with a new hoodie, a bluetooth speaker with Wes art on it, tote bags, etc.). I suspect those items are tour-only at the moment.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Pickle wrote:
that pickle, cool as a cucumber
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Flea

Post by Flea »

Pickle wrote:
That's my boy!
Now it's dark.

j5cents

Post by j5cents »

Any audio of thi show?