European Tour 2017

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: European Tour 2017

Post by RolanK »

Flea wrote:
RolanK wrote:
Zip City wrote:awesome photo, but sucks that there's no "rail" (or more accurately, that the "rail" is fifteen feet from the band)
European thing, unfortunately.

Blame the football hooligans?
Blame Clams!!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Clams

Post by Clams »

RolanK wrote:
Flea wrote:
Blame the football hooligans?
Blame Clams!!
Two hours and 16 minutes for that?? In the old days yall would've been right on that. You're getting slow.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:You're getting slow.
I blame Clams for that.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Brighton 4 March

Umpqua
Ghost
Gooses field road
Ramon
Flags
Southern thing
Surrender
Gimme truth
First air of autumn
What it means
Love like this
Company I keep
Filthy
Ever south
Kinky
LTBR
Zip
Grand Canyon
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

dogstar wrote:Brighton 4 March

Umpqua
Ghost
Gooses field road
Ramon
Flags
Southern thing
Surrender
Gimme truth
First air of autumn
What it means
Love like this
Company I keep
Filthy
Ever south
Kinky
LTBR
Zip
Grand Canyon
That's a short but efficient setlist.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

dogstar wrote:Gimme truth
First air of autumn
I'll say.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Umpqua
Ghost
Gooses field road
Ramon
Flags
Southern thing
Surrender
Gimme truth
First air of autumn
What it means
Love like this
Company I keep
Filthy
Ever south
Kinky
LTBR
Zip
Grand Canyon
Damn, what's the deal with the short shows?

Bon Scott's AC/DC

Post by Bon Scott's AC/DC »

Roundhouse, Camden, London Show:
So I went to London to see my second Rock Show. I was in the Roundhouse in Camden, someone has already posted to 3DD a photo of the venue, band and crowd from the side, but when I get them off my phone I’ll post another photo or two of the massive high domed ceiling, because the venue itself looked very impressive. Its currently being restored as an arts center from donations, fund raisers and gigs. The info on the walls said it was originally build as a train repair depot in the 1860s and, but it’s a beautiful looking venue now with the Victorian pillars and really high domed ceiling.

It was very big crowd, and when I was listening to Eyelids Or from the back of the venue near the bar, I thought it was loud. However, when I took my place near the front I started talking to an Austrian guy and he reckoned the sound hadn’t been great for the support band. And to be fair when DBT started up, the vocals did seem to be somewhat lower than the instruments (by the break after the second song Austrian guy and some others were shouting for the sound to be turned up) but I thought the sound was ok overall.

So anyway… what about the band itself, unlike Dublin, all the band came on together and hit us with Surrender and Darkened Flags… then to my great joy they started into Ronnie and Neil…Yahhhhhh!!! fuckin’ great to hear that for the first time live… what a song, what a song… so after Ronnie & N. I noticed something about the crowd. The crowd gave huge cheers and applause when a song finished but they weren’t singing along to the songs (or the choruses)… Also, not that the Dublin crowd were moshing or anything like that, but they did move a bit in Dublin (nodding the old heads and singing along at least), but the London crowd were pretty stationary and didn’t get into singing any of the choruses… well I suppose its different horses for courses as they say. So I spotted two guys getting into it a few places up, so I moved up to them and they were really into it, moving and singing like mad. We all agreed that DBT were definitely the best band in the world at the moment and then my new found friends proceeded to offer me a toke of what they were having. And for legal purposes I’ll do as President Bill Clinton said and say I didn’t inhale… honestly I didn’t Your Honour!!

So all the great songs kept coming, Bubba, Sinkhole, Ever South, Righteous Path (well, as you all know, they’re all great songs). What’s so fuckin fantastic about this band is that they have the musical ability, song quality and confidence to constantly change the set list. Looking at the British and Irish gigs the sets have so many different songs, which is great for a fan who followed then to a few (or all) gigs. So the gig was proceeding great, the crowd gave huge cheers between songs and the sound quality seemed fine for me (anyways). My newfound English friends (who referred to me as Irish Lad!!) were also having a great time. Then the band played Lookout Mountain, and I just thought wow!, this band is now hitting me with a wall of sound, the guitars were crunching, drums pounding, and I thought this is the sound of the Apocalypse!!, so Lookout Mountain ended and the band decided it was time for the sound of the Post Apocalypse, so up started Where the Devil Don’t Stay… and they killed us with a second wall of sound, screeching guitars and pounding drums. After that they decided to take it down with What it Means and Once They Banned Imagine, before bringing it up again for the finale with LTBR, Zip, Hell No and a raucous Rockin’ in the Free World with two members of Eyelids Or.

And that was that… the end of my second Rock Show… nothing more to be said, except, What A Band, What A Band…

I talked to a few people on the way out and they all were in agreement that there wasn’t anyone quite like them, and that it was a great show.

PS Austrian Guy whom I was talking to said he flew in from Austria for the gig - was a fan of many years, and that they weren’t playing any shows in Germany, Austria, France, etc. - he presumed that economically it didn’t add up for the band to play those countries.

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

If anybody is in need, I think I have a spare for Antwerp tonight and possibly Amsterdam tomorrow.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:

Umpqua
Ghost
Gooses field road
Ramon
Flags
Southern thing
Surrender
Gimme truth
First air of autumn
What it means
Love like this
Company I keep
Filthy
Ever south
Kinky
LTBR
Zip
Grand Canyon
Damn, what's the deal with the short shows?
We have hard curfews in the UK plus a lot of the clubs stay in business by running club nights on Fridays and Saturdays so you get a 10pm curfew rather than the usual 11pm one. We've used to it over here.

The show on Saturday was still a great show - no stories and they basically went from one song straight into the next.

disgruntledgoat

disgruntledgoat wrote:If anybody is in need, I think I have a spare for Antwerp tonight and possibly Amsterdam tomorrow.
Ok, now confirmed. 1 spare for Antwerp tonight. Face value €20 is all I ask (price my drop as desperation increases).

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

Nah, they don't make you do anything, they just let you.
Ha ha, Exactly! :)
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

Courtesy of setlist.fm, last nights setlist in Antwerp.

Guns of Umpqua
Play Video
Ramon Casiano
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Surrender Under Protest
Santa Fe
Uncle Frank
Ever South
Sounds Better in the Song
Heathens
Women Without Whiskey
Why Henry Drinks
Filthy and Fried
Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife
A Ghost to Most
Sun Don't Shine
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Used to Be a Cop
Gravity's Gone
Ronnie and Neil
Made Up English Oceans
What It Means
Once They Banned Imagine
Let There Be Rock
3 Dimes Down
Hell No, I Ain't Happy / Sign O' The Times

disgruntledgoat

ilockyer wrote:Courtesy of setlist.fm, last nights setlist in Antwerp.

Guns of Umpqua
Play Video
Ramon Casiano
Surrender Under Protest
Santa Fe
Uncle Frank
Ever South
Heathens
Women Without Whiskey
Why Henry Drinks
Filthy and Fried
A Ghost to Most
Sun Don't Shine
Used to Be a Cop
Gravity's Gone
Ronnie and Neil
Made Up English Oceans
What It Means
Once They Banned Imagine
Let There Be Rock
3 Dimes Down

Everything got a bit fuzzy after Why Henry Drinks...

I promise I'll do better tonight. :oops:

Flea

Post by Flea »

Is Play Video a new song?
disgruntledgoat wrote:
ilockyer wrote:Courtesy of setlist.fm, last nights setlist in Antwerp.

Guns of Umpqua
Play Video
Ramon Casiano
Surrender Under Protest
Santa Fe
Uncle Frank
Ever South
Heathens
Women Without Whiskey
Why Henry Drinks
Filthy and Fried
A Ghost to Most
Sun Don't Shine
Used to Be a Cop
Gravity's Gone
Ronnie and Neil
Made Up English Oceans
What It Means
Once They Banned Imagine
Let There Be Rock
3 Dimes Down

Everything got a bit fuzzy after Why Henry Drinks...

I promise I'll do better tonight.
:oops:
Sounds to me like you're doing it just right.
Now it's dark.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Bon Scott thanks for the enthusiastic review of the Roundhouse show in London.

Felt like being there! :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Bon Scott's AC/DC

Rocky wrote:Bon Scott thanks for the enthusiastic review of the Roundhouse show in London.

Felt like being there! :mrgreen:
Thanks Rocky.

disgruntledgoat

So my first two Rock Shows, on consecutive nights, in two great cities and wildly differing venues.

Trix in Antwerp is a 450 capacity club up the stairs from a community music centre and recording studios, located in an uncharming industrial area of town. Missed Eyelids at this show as we were talking to a couple of guys in the bar downstairs until about 15 minutes before DBT came on.

Firstly, the sound from where we were stood just in front of the board was incredible. Everything clear and ringing out every line audible and every lick cutting through. Setlist was heavy on the new material but I was surprised to get Santa Fe dropped in near the start having not seen it crop up much in setlists on here.

The show really kicked up a gear with WWW and Why Henry Drinks, face meltingly loud and Cooley was throwing all sorts of crazy stuff at the songs in the second half of the set. There's a feeling at the best gigs that anything could happen, when the crowd, the band and the venue all work together and the music carries you all away. That feeling was definitely there at Trix with the low ceiling and I think any band knows that if you sell a place out on a Monday, people want to be there. The final trio of LTBR, 3 Dimes Down and Hell No, I Ain't Happy were as good as any band I've ever seen. On both nights Patterson said they weren't going to bother with an encore and just play through.

Second night in Amsterdam was a different beast

Setlist:

Ramon Casiano
Uncle Frank
The Living Bubba
Sink Hole
Surrender Under Protest
Ever South
Gravity's Gone
Ronnie and Neil
Women Without Whiskey
Guns of Umpqua
A Ghost to Most
Goode's Field Road
Shit Shots Count
Gimme Some Truth
Once They Banned Imagine
What It Means
Filthy and Fried
The Righteous Path
Sun Don't Shine
Let There Be Rock
Kinky Hypocrite
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Rockin' in the Free World

Paradiso is a bigger venue, about 1500 on three levels. It's an old converted church with a huge high roof and stained glass windows ringing the back of the stage. However, whether it's the more reserved Dutch fans or whatever, I never really felt this show caught fire until The Righteous Path and then got immediately taken down a notch with Sun Don't Shine. The last three songs were, again, fantastic but it really took a while to get there. I think I'm right in saying we got the whole of the new album except Baggage. Now I'm not saying it was a bad show, it wasn't by any means and I enjoyed myself. But I think the crowd (in keeping with my experience of the Dutch) were quite quiet and reserved and the energy on the stage didn't quite make it into most of the rest of the room.

Few more observations: I experienced the gig through Cooley's monitor and have an even greater appreciation of the man's work for that. I was on my own for this show but got talking to a couple of guys notably 2 Spanish guys who barely spoke any English and 0 Dutch but danced their asses off "singing" along to everything and a Dutch/Arabic kid of about 18 who knew every word off the new album but none of the other songs at all. That DBT are still attracting kids of different cultures and experience with new material is awesome. Patterson sang "But I saw the Replacements about 7 times" and I asked the guy afterwards if he knew them "I saw them here in 2013!" he replied. Respect. Finally, Patterson had the words to Gimme Some Truth taped to his monitor :D

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

disgruntledgoat wrote: The Righteous Path
Sun Don't Shine
Let There Be Rock
Kinky Hypocrite
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
First of all, great reviews!

This part of the setlist really caught my eye...what the hell? I've never seen that many Patterson songs in a row. Only 1 of the last 6 songs was a Cooley song. Highly unusual compared to the shows I've been to where they generally trade off every other song.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:
disgruntledgoat wrote: The Righteous Path
Sun Don't Shine
Let There Be Rock
Kinky Hypocrite
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
First of all, great reviews!

This part of the setlist really caught my eye...what the hell? I've never seen that many Patterson songs in a row. Only 1 of the last 6 songs was a Cooley song. Highly unusual compared to the shows I've been to where they generally trade off every other song.
Per Patterson that part of the set list was incorrect and Sun Don't Shine wasn't played that night but rather the night before in Antwerp. Santa Fe wasn't played at all. As long as everyone is having a good time though it's all good.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Copenhagen

Surrender
Flags
Gravity
Ronnie
Shot shots
Sinkhole
Ramon
Baggage
Pauline Hawkins
Filthy
Ever south
Devil
Company I keep
Marry me
What it means
Imagine
LTBR
Zip
Gimme some truth
Three dimes
He'll no>sign of the times

RoyHandcuff

Post by RoyHandcuff »

Traveling to Gothenburg tonight..Stockholm on Sunday. Will report!
"Three guitars or a life of crime"

Bon Scott's AC/DC

disgruntledgoat wrote:So my first two Rock Shows, on consecutive nights, in two great cities and wildly differing venues.

Trix in Antwerp is a 450 capacity club up the stairs from a community music centre and recording studios, located in an uncharming industrial area of town. Missed Eyelids at this show as we were talking to a couple of guys in the bar downstairs until about 15 minutes before DBT came on.

Firstly, the sound from where we were stood just in front of the board was incredible. Everything clear and ringing out every line audible and every lick cutting through. Setlist was heavy on the new material but I was surprised to get Santa Fe dropped in near the start having not seen it crop up much in setlists on here.

The show really kicked up a gear with WWW and Why Henry Drinks, face meltingly loud and Cooley was throwing all sorts of crazy stuff at the songs in the second half of the set. There's a feeling at the best gigs that anything could happen, when the crowd, the band and the venue all work together and the music carries you all away. That feeling was definitely there at Trix with the low ceiling and I think any band knows that if you sell a place out on a Monday, people want to be there. The final trio of LTBR, 3 Dimes Down and Hell No, I Ain't Happy were as good as any band I've ever seen. On both nights Patterson said they weren't going to bother with an encore and just play through.

Second night in Amsterdam was a different beast

Paradiso is a bigger venue, about 1500 on three levels. It's an old converted church with a huge high roof and stained glass windows ringing the back of the stage. However, whether it's the more reserved Dutch fans or whatever, I never really felt this show caught fire until The Righteous Path and then got immediately taken down a notch with Sun Don't Shine. The last three songs were, again, fantastic but it really took a while to get there. I think I'm right in saying we got the whole of the new album except Baggage. Now I'm not saying it was a bad show, it wasn't by any means and I enjoyed myself. But I think the crowd (in keeping with my experience of the Dutch) were quite quiet and reserved and the energy on the stage didn't quite make it into most of the rest of the room.

Few more observations: I experienced the gig through Cooley's monitor and have an even greater appreciation of the man's work for that. I was on my own for this show but got talking to a couple of guys notably 2 Spanish guys who barely spoke any English and 0 Dutch but danced their asses off "singing" along to everything and a Dutch/Arabic kid of about 18 who knew every word off the new album but none of the other songs at all. That DBT are still attracting kids of different cultures and experience with new material is awesome. Patterson sang "But I saw the Replacements about 7 times" and I asked the guy afterwards if he knew them "I saw them here in 2013!" he replied. Respect. Finally, Patterson had the words to Gimme Some Truth taped to his monitor :D
Hey disgruntledgoat. Nice detail on the venues, crowds and atmosphere. The shows sounded great, esp. the Antwerp one. Interesting that you thought the Dutch crowd were somewhat reserved because I thought that about the London audience (during the songs).

Thanks for the review.

PS Were these two your first ever DBT shows (like it was for me)?

disgruntledgoat

My first two shows yeah. Sorry for set list fuck ups... in the words of Rick James "I was having too much fun"

And I'm fucking sure I remember Santa Fe :lol:

I am the goat's drunken wishful thinking

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

Goteborg

Guns
Ghost
Goode
Surrender
Flags
Ramon
Heathens
Women
Feb 14
Birthday
Girls
Fried
South
Zip
Sink
Oceans
Path
Kinky
Company
Shots
What It Means
Imagine
LTBR
Plane
Angels

Flea

Post by Flea »

^^^ That's nice!
Now it's dark.

RoyHandcuff

Post by RoyHandcuff »

I'm just speechless over how good they sounded last night in Gothenburg. They were absolutely killing it. Hardly any talk between songs, just full on rock show for two hours+. Great setlist too and what an ending with Plane/Fuselage...man, I was tearing up!
And they have grown into the new songs so well. They sound so much better to me after they have played them on the road for a while.
Another that really struck me last night is what a great rhythm player Patterson really is. So dynamic, attentive and powerful.

Nothing short of amazing. What a band.

Stockholm tomorrow. Can't wait!
"Three guitars or a life of crime"

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

Oslo

Ramon
Flags
Protest
Ronnie
Gravity
Sink
Frank
Baggage
Devil
Guns
Air
What it means
Imagine
Truth
Kinky
Mountain
Women
South
Oceans
Path
Birthday
LTBR
Zip
Hell / Sign

23:39

Worldwide Bill got his first Cooley pick at show 262

Flea

Post by Flea »

ilockyer wrote:Oslo

Now it's dark.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

ilockyer wrote:Oslo

Ramon
Flags
Protest
Ronnie
Gravity
Sink
Frank
Baggage
Devil
Guns
Air
What it means
Imagine
Truth
Kinky
Mountain
Women
South
Oceans
Path
Birthday
LTBR
Zip
Hell / Sign

23:39

Wow! Just, Wow!

I admit it, I might be slightly biased, seing DBT in my hometown and all, but that was one of those "lets-just-kick-things-into-the-next-level" kind of shows.

I had tickets for my first ever DBT show in the same venue back in 2010 for the Big To Do tour, but that show got cancelled..., so this one was the first Oslo show in what must be close to ten years or so.

As the venue was filling up for during the opening act you could feel the anticipation in the audience, and I got the feeling the band picked up on that immediately as they entered the stage. They kicked straight into rock-show mode, and pretty much held that level of intensity all the way to the end. Even for the mid-part where they took it down a bit with Guns, First Air of Autumn, What it Means, and Imagine, the determination with which those songs were played it was clear there was no intentions of letting the crowd of the hook. Finishing with LTBR, Zip City and an absolutely monstrous version of Hell no/Sign of the times/Hell no where they finally blew the roof of the venue and must have caused permanent damage to the structure of the building, I think it would be appropriate to say that the record was set straight and that Oslo finally got what it had been craving for for a decade.

Hanging with WWB, dogstar, ilockyer, Micke from Gothenburg and his crew, off course just adds a sprinkle of good vibes to the whole experience.

Thank you!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa