9/30-10/1/16 Portland, OR

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

uncle rickey

9/30-10/1/16 Portland, OR

Post by uncle rickey »

A 2-night stand in Portland! Record release day! I've really been looking forward to these. Anyone else going to be there?

bnzz

Re: 9/30-10/1/16 Portland, OR

Post by bnzz »

I am hoping to be, going to Seattle for the 29th show and then a run down the road to Portland for at least the 30th!

northwest trucker

Post by northwest trucker »

will also be at the Seattle show and heading down for the Friday Portland show...can't wait!!!

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Ramon Casiano
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Filthy and Fried
Aftermath USA
3 Dimes Down
That Man I Shot
A Ghost to Most
Margo and Harold
Made Up English Oceans
The Righteous Path
Surrender Under Protest
Sinkhole
Gravity's Gone
Sun Don't Shine
First Air of Autumn
What It Means
Love Like This
Lookout Mountain
Women Without Whiskey
Ronnie and Neil
Kinky Hypocrite
The Bitch is Back
Marry Me
Let There Be Rock
Zip City
Hell No, I Ain't Happy-->
Sign O' the Times-->
Hell No, I Ain't Happy

Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Night 1 in Portland, met Uncle Rickey and Humboldt. Uncle Rickey in particular has a soft touch:

ElGordo

Post by ElGordo »

uncle rickey wrote:Ramon Casiano
Filthy and Fried
Aftermath USA
3 Dimes Down
That Man I Shot
A Ghost to Most
Margo and Harold
Made Up English Oceans
The Righteous Path
Surrender Under Protest
Sinkhole
Gravity's Gone
Sun Don't Shine
First Air of Autumn
What It Means
Love Like This
Lookout Mountain
Women Without Whiskey
Ronnie and Neil
Kinky Hypocrite
The Bitch is Back
Marry Me
Let There Be Rock
Zip City
Sign O' the Times-->
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Thanks for sharing! I'll be there tonight. A lot of my favorites came up last night; not sure I've heard Love Like This live in a very long time. I'm sure they've still got a lot of gas in the tank for tonight.

Also, an Elton John cover? Really?

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Great show last night. The guys were clearly having a blast. Margo & Harold was a surprise. Cooley was playing slide on the Flying V during Sun Don't Shine, which I wouldn't have guessed. Aftermath was fantastic. I think the reworked version, including new lyrics, has really started to work well. It's quite good in person, I don't think this version translates as well if you're not there, for some reason. There was no photographer's well so we were right up against the stage, which would be perfect for People Who Died, which I really hope we'll get tonight. They had a curfew. Last night, & on many nights on this run, they have skipped walking off stage & coming out for an encore. They have benn playing right through & it's been great. Loving Kinky Hypocrite, I would be thrilled if that's an every night song.
Looking forward to tonight!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Thanks for the review Cooleygirl! It should be noted that my initial take on Kinky Hypocrite is that it reminds me of Aftermath USA. Short but sweet- Patterson rocker: Cooley-style. Love it.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Did they have the AC running at the Wonder? We and Bovine Knievel saw them there in 2007 it was the hottest, sweatiest I've ever been at a venue, maybe with the exception of the Cat's Cradle (when it was still in Chapel Hill) & the Brewery in Raleigh. It was so bad at the Wonder that the band even commented on it. I sweated through my wallet, my shoes, everything. Good times :lol:

Saw Patterson open for the Gourds there several years back and it was much more comfortable
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

northwest trucker

Post by northwest trucker »

What a great show, traveled down from Seattle after seeing Thursday night. You could tell Patterson was excited to be playing in his "new" hometown and they were on all night. Out of the 27 songs 19 were repeats from the night before, a little surprised the number was that high. Absolutely love the rework of Aftermath and Cooley's playing on it. Great to hear Margo and I always wish for a Love Like This. All the new songs are sounding great live, really liking Sun Don't Shine, Darkened Flags, and Kinky Hypocrite. Seen about a dozen shows and they are sounding as good as I've ever seen them...get to a show! Too bad I had to come back to work or I'd be back for tonight.....till the Homecoming shows!!!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ElGordo wrote:Also, an Elton John cover? Really?
They've been playing it most nights since Aspen last month.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

brknarw

Post by brknarw »

They were pretty shit-hot last night. My voice is a wreck, and I'm headed back for more in an hour!

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

The Guns of Umpqua
One of These Days
Ramon Casiano
Ever South
Made Up English Oceans
The Righteous Path
Surrender Under Protest
Puttin' People on the Moon
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Goode's Field Road
Women Without Whiskey
The Living Bubba
First Air of Autumn
What It Means
Shit Shots Count
Tales Facing Up
Filthy and Fried
Baggage
Gravity's Gone
Sign O' the Times-->
Hell No, I Ain't Happy *
People Who Died *

*with David Barbe

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

We must've tired the band out in Seattle. They certainly left me spent. Setlist shrank both nights in Portland. This says nothing about the quality though! :)

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Did they have the AC running at the Wonder? We and Bovine Knievel saw them there in 2007 it was the hottest, sweatiest I've ever been at a venue, maybe with the exception of the Cat's Cradle (when it was still in Chapel Hill) & the Brewery in Raleigh. It was so bad at the Wonder that the band even commented on it. I sweated through my wallet, my shoes, everything. Good times :lol:

Saw Patterson open for the Gourds there several years back and it was much more comfortable
We went to Guided by Voices @ Neumos in Seattle in August. It was literally at least 110 in the club. No ventilation let alone AC. We gave up after 2 hours even though we were in the balcony. Can't even imagine what it was like on the floor. The fire department paramedics came in & walked through the crowd to make sure no one was dropping from heat exhaustion. Not a good sign, haha.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Patterson's a huge Elton fan and I'd be willing to wager Jay is too. I don't see the big deal?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Smitty wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Patterson's a huge Elton fan and I'd be willing to wager Jay is too. I don't see the big deal?
Bitch is Back was Cooley's idea
Always go to the show

ElGordo

Post by ElGordo »

Smitty wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Eh, not a big deal. I'm not a huge fan of Sir Elton, but his earlier stuff is alright. That particular song, though, seems to have been co-opted by the Hillary haters lately, so I guess that's why it came across as an odd choice.

ElGordo

Post by ElGordo »

Anybody got any insight into the fight last night? PH was PISSED someone was starting shit, but I was up in the balcony at the time and didn't see much. Just run of the mill jackassery, or something more?

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

ElGordo wrote:Anybody got any insight into the fight last night? PH was PISSED someone was starting shit, but I was up in the balcony at the time and didn't see much. Just run of the mill jackassery, or something more?
It was the usual stuff, a group of drunks pushing up on people (who were also probably drunk) from the back. Lots of fingers pointed and chests puffed out, but no blows actually thrown that I saw.

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

I was watching Patterson and you could see he was eyeballing that situation for a minute before he intervened. I told my buddy I was with to "watch this" LOL

Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned it but Peter Buck was standing off to stage left the whole show. We got a quick picture with him right before they went on,.

pdxapprox

Post by pdxapprox »

I was hanging out pre-show w/ the two that got booted. They were two good people and BIG DBT fans. That said, they were drunk and bouncing around too much...bumping into folks repeatedly. What prompted PH to go off was that the guy getting bumped shoved the lady about 3 rows back. She hit the deck. That's when PH got super pissed.

The right people got bounced and for good reason. I guess (per them) they had been ejected for the same thing at another show.

All part of the rock show, I guess?!!

BTW, WHAT A GREAT FUCKING SHOW and the new album is HOT! Am I right?!