9/23/16 Kansas City, MO

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

uncle rickey

9/23/16 Kansas City, MO

Post by uncle rickey »

Hey, so we're just a few days out on this so I figured I'd start a thread. CG says this show will be the 200th time we've seen our guys. Not bad! I'm psyched to see Son Volt is supporting with songs off of Trace; that'll be a nice treat.

Will anyone else from here be there?

beantownbubba

Re: 9/23/16 Kansas City, MO

Post by beantownbubba »

My son Jeremy will be there. I believe you've met him.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

beantownbubba wrote:My son Jeremy will be there. I believe you've met him.
Excellent! I look forward to seeing him again.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I'm almost certainly making this. There are just a few details--like finding a ride!--to work out. I don't suppose anyone would like to swing through beautiful downtown Little Rock on your way there? I'll chip in on gas. Or aviation fuel, if that's how you roll.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

jr29

Post by jr29 »

uncle rickey wrote:Hey, so we're just a few days out on this so I figured I'd start a thread. CG says this show will be the 200th time we've seen our guys. Not bad! I'm psyched to see Son Volt is supporting with songs off of Trace; that'll be a nice treat.

Will anyone else from here be there?
I may be there, still not sure.
Also, this isn't exactly Son Volt. Jay has left the drummer and bass player at home for a couple years now.

John A Arkansawyer

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I'm almost certainly making this. There are just a few details--like finding a ride!--to work out. I don't suppose anyone would like to swing through beautiful downtown Little Rock on your way there? I'll chip in on gas. Or aviation fuel, if that's how you roll.
Jumping Jeebus! Rental car prices have skyrocketed in the last couple of weeks. My odds of making it have dropped a tad. I'm willing to hitchhike part way if need be. In other news...

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

And it begins.. The launch of the Darkened Flags tour! I hope everyone has a blast and makes at least a few questionable decisions along the way
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

John A Arkansawyer

Jay at least was out in the audience for Son Volt, who are now taking a well-deserved encore. Rainy Day Women. Seriously. Very seriously. It's really something. Like the White Album version.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Jay at least was out in the audience for Son Volt, who are now taking a well-deserved encore. Rainy Day Women. Seriously. Very seriously. It's really something. Like the White Album version.
He played that when I saw him in Nashville last year.
Really wishing I was in KC right now.

John A Arkansawyer

F&f
Righteous
SSC

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Getting some clips texted to me by my bro and sis in law. Got me jonesing for the mpls show...

John A Arkansawyer

Flags
Ramon
Baggage

John A Arkansawyer

Surrender
Sinkhole
EO

John A Arkansawyer

I wrote this song back when I was still real naive and idealistic.

John A Arkansawyer

Aftermath
Gravity
Man I shot
Imagine
Iwo jima
Ghost

John A Arkansawyer

R&n
Ever south
3dd

Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Having a fantastic time on the road in Kansas City! I got to meet some new merch lighters and some 3DD'ers...Kevidently & John A Arkansawyer. Saw a great show as well. Where will I show up next? Stay tuned...

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Filthy and Fried
The Righteous Path
Shit Shots Count
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Ramon Casiano
Baggage
Surrender Under Protest
Sinkhole
Made Up English Oceans
Aftermath USA
Gravity's Gone
That Man I Shot
Once They Banned Imagine
The Sands of Iwo Jima
A Ghost to Most
Ronnie and Neil
Women Without Whiskey
Ever South
3 Dimes Down
Lookout Mountain
Marry Me
What It Means
Love Like This
Let There Be Rock
Kinky Hypocrite
The Bitch is Back
Zip City
Hell No, I Ain't Happy->
Sign O' the Times-->
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Last edited by uncle rickey on Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

John A Arkansawyer

Lookout
Marry
WImeans
LLT
LTBR
KINKY. HYP
bitch
Zip
hell no

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

uncle rickey wrote:Filthy and Fried
The Righteous Path
Shit Shots Count
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Ramon Casiano
Baggage
Surrender Under Protest
Sinkhole
Made Up English Oceans
Aftermath USA
Gravity's Gone
That Man I Shot
Once They Banned Imagine
The Sands of Iwo Jima
A Ghost to Most
Ronnie and Neil
Women Without Whiskey
Ever South
3 Dimes Down
Lookout Mountain
Marry Me
What It Means
Love Like This
Let There Be Rock
Kinky Hypocrite
The Bitch is Back
Zip City
Hell No, I Ain't Happy->
Sign O' the Times-->
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
short set ;) ;) ;)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Holy Moly! What a set list!

Flea

Post by Flea »

Pickle wrote:Having a fantastic time on the road in Kansas City! I got to meet some new merch lighters and some 3DD'ers...Kevidently & John A Arkansawyer. Saw a great show as well. Where will I show up next? Stay tuned...

Young man, you are in so much trouble when you get home...
Now it's dark.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

I wonder if he has any juice left? That Kevidently shot, in the sunlight, shows a somewhat emaciated Pickle Lighter.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

alquina wrote:Holy Moly! What a set list!
Gootlawd.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

It's nice to see that DBT didn't waste any time getting into mid-tour form. Can't wait until November!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Damn. Always go to the show.

I heard there was a shout out to Uncle Rickey & CG for show #200. :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

The rumor is true, Patterson dedicated Lookout Mountain to us for our special day, it was very sweet & kind.

That was a ridiculously great show. Patterson said it was the "official" first night of an 18 month tour. If that was night 1, we're in for a spectacular tour. You can see the set list is amazing. They sounded fantastic. It was an outdoor venue, it reminded me a little of Stubb's in Austin. There was a significant gap between the rail & the stage. The stage was pretty tall. I think that may have helped the sound where we were standing.

The new songs sound really good. Matt Patton was dynamite on Ever South, & Patterson's vocals on that were spot on, I especially loved the oooo at the end. Cooley was all about new songs last night. We heard Kinky Hypocrite for the first time & that's impossible not to dance to, & is also a perfect song for Jay to shine on the boogie woogie piano/keys. Baggage is a powerful song & I heard quite a bit of crowd agreement & cheers on that. Ditto for What it Means. Once They Banned Imagine is such a pretty song, in the way Space City is.

I must admit I didn't know what to expect without Mattador. Wyatt & Henry did great! Speaking of the crew, there is a new guitar tech & lights director, I didn't get a chance to meet them.

Cole has assumed his new role as tour manager; you can tell by the haircut & the long sleeve button down shirt he was sporting last night. Seriously, we're so proud of you, buddy.

Dirty Paul is at merch & is also sporting a new major haircut. The sign at the table says to ask Dirty Paul what tonight's special is; make sure you ask! There is so much cool stuff to buy, check it out! Huge shout out to Jim for listening to our suggestions. There are now lighters, record tote bags, a wireless Bluetooth speaker with Wes Freed Red Rocks artwork on it, the winter knit caps are back, ladies tank tops & more. American Band is available at merch now if you're wondering.

Son Volt Trio was outstanding. Trace is such a great album & we heard a ton (if not all) of it. My only regret with Son Volt is we missed out on merch. We waited until after the show & it was gone by then. Oh well. We have our memories.

On the road to 1st Ave. Can't wait to do this again, & we start with Lydia tonight, woo hoo!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Clams

Post by Clams »

Great post Sarah
If you don't run you rust

John A Arkansawyer

CooleyGirl wrote: They sounded fantastic. It was an outdoor venue, it reminded me a little of Stubb's in Austin. There was a significant gap between the rail & the stage. The stage was pretty tall. I think that may have helped the sound where we were standing.
Two things jumped out at me from having the nice upfront sound. First is how sympathetically Patterson and Cooley play each other's songs, whether soloing or putting emphasis behind the vocals. Second is what a great backing vocalist Patterson is. He's Keith to Cooley's Mick.

CooleyGirl wrote:The new songs sound really good. Matt Patton was dynamite on Ever South, & Patterson's vocals on that were spot on, I especially loved the oooo at the end.
That was especially beautiful. Darkened Flags is a tougher song than it was when I first heard it, or so I remember. Yeah, it's a rocker.

CooleyGirl wrote: We heard Kinky Hypocrite for the first time & that's impossible not to dance to, & is also a perfect song for Jay to shine on the boogie woogie piano/keys.
Me, too, on all of that.
CooleyGirl wrote:Son Volt Trio was outstanding. Trace is such a great album & we heard a ton (if not all) of it. My only regret with Son Volt is we missed out on merch. We waited until after the show & it was gone by then. Oh well. We have our memories.
This act was totally new to me and it really blew me away. I wanted a copy of Trace myself after hearing the set.

Steel, Pedal Steel, Guitar: That's quite a trio. I wanted recent stuff, too, to hear more of that. I'm keeping my eyes open for another show.

DebbieTrucker

Post by DebbieTrucker »

Like most in here I've seen DBT many times. This hands down was the best show I've seen by them. Their sound was tight the guitar playing phenomenal and Jay G was unreal on the keys. Vocally both Hood and Cooley sounded crystal clear. Highlights for me were 'Once They Banned Imagine' 'Ramon Casiano' 'Filthy and Fried' as the opener. It was great to see a band play through the patterned token encores that waste time and give the fans 3-4 more songs. In modern music that is rare. I also really enjoyed The Son Volt trio they were great. Perfect weather perfect bands and DBT burned my face off all night.