The Thrillbillys (Movie Starring Wes Freed)

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

The Thrillbillys (Movie Starring Wes Freed)

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Starring Erin Snyder, Wes Freed, George Archer Jr. and Angry Johnny. Written & Directed by Jim Stramel.

Back in 2001 when this movie first came out I was writing the occasional album review. One of the records that was sent to me way back when was the soundtrack to this movie, which included cuts from The Shiners (featuring Wes and Jyl Freed), Angry Johnny and the Killbillies, Trailer Bride and Drive-By Truckers, amongst others. One of the cuts was "The Southern Thing", which was the first time I'd heard the studio version of the song. The following year, a screening of The Thrillbillys was held at the original location of Kings in Raleigh which also featured live performances from The Shiners and another Richmond-based band included on the soundtrack, Used Carlotta. Unfortunately, I missed the movie but did arrive in time to catch the Shiners and Used Carlotta. For those that have never seen it, the entire movie is on YouTube. Here's a link to a preview of the screening that Rick Cornell wrote for Indyweek back then.

potatoeater

Re: The Thrillbillys (Movie Starring Wes Freed)

Post by potatoeater »

Thanks for sharing! I'll be watching this soon and will reply back with my thoughts. My girlfriend and I are both fans of B movies, Mystery Science Theater and Rifftrax. In all honesty this looks like it would fall in to those categories. I can't wait!
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

My good friend Danny Monger plays the convenience store clerk in this. He and bunch of friends were recently at my house and I popped in the dvd, it was pretty funny when he showed up on the screen and none of the others knew he was in it. It shows up on ebay every now and then for cheap. I think I paid $5.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I tried and tried to watch this on netflix but the dvd showed up broken FOUR different times. It must have been made cheaply. Imagine that!
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life