Message from Cooley and DBT Family

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Message from Cooley and DBT Family

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

DBT fans, friends and family,

We are very sad to announce the resignation of Matt DeFilippis; our tour manager and live sound engineer of almost 15 years. Both of those jobs require an enormous amount of energy and focus, and come with a lot of people to please. To do either is to open oneself up to constant scrutiny, but to do both for the same band for as long as Matt did for us is nothing short of phenomenal.

Matt didn't start out as tour manager however. When he came on board we weren't traveling in a tour bus, staying in nice hotels and playing the Fillmore or the Beacon. We were in a van with Matt doing most of the driving, sometimes all night, to get to the next club. Over the years as band and crew members came and went and the various levels of drama, tension and fatigue took their toll, Matt was a constant; fiercely loyal, believing we were still on a noble mission even when Patterson, Brad and I wondered what we'd gotten ourselves into.

Things have gotten much better now and we all try to take a little better care of ourselves but the road is still the road, and sometimes we still find ourselves walking up the stairs to the stage feeling like we're trying to outrun our own ghosts. As band members, we have the energy we get back from you to look forward to, to prop us up and propel us forward. The crew doesn't. Without people like Matt, that feeling we've spent our live in pursuit of would remain forever out of reach. That's what separates the real roadies from the boys. The real ones know how to capture some of that feeling for themselves without having it served up on a platter. Don't think we don't notice.

As most of you know, we are about to release a new record and tour more ambitiously than we have in a long time, and Matt has decided to take a step back, and a breath, and decide where to apply his wealth of experience next. He will be missed, but we support him and know beyond a doubt that he will be a valuable, hard charging asset to any organization, or mission he signs onto.

We're grateful to all of you for your support, and I know Matt is grateful for the friendships he developed with many of you over the years. But right now most of all, myself and the rest of the band, for being such a huge part of a most significant portion of our lives, extend our heartfelt gratitude to Matt DeFilippis.

A man and a half.

Sincerely, and with much love,
Mike Cooley
Drive-By Truckers
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

brett27295

Re: Message from Cooley and DBT Family

Post by brett27295 »

I'm going to miss Mattador's excellent live sound mix!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

For selfish reasons, I am truly sorry to hear this. Matt is a wonderful guy and I will miss seeing him on the road with our guys. I wish him nothing but the best.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

I'm truly going to miss Matt, too. I wish him all the best. He will be a very tough act to follow. They'll need a small army to fill those shoes. Thank you for all of your extremely hard work, Mattador. I hope you finally get some much needed relaxation & time with your beautiful family.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

jr29

Post by jr29 »

All the best.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

jr29 wrote:All the best.
Yep.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

lynne

Post by lynne »

Matt is such a talented man and he surely will be missed. Best of luck to him and enjoy the time with your beautiful family!
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

LBRod wrote:
jr29 wrote:All the best.
Yep.
X3. Good luck Mattador.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A nice tribute, Cooley. Thanks for that.

Matt, please know that you leave with an enormous reservoir of good will and respect among fans of the band. I personally found the news to be both shocking and depressing (for me). It will not be the same without you. I hope that that this change works out for the best for you and your family and with your talent, experience and character I am sure that it will. I have no idea what it might be, but I know I speak for many here in saying that if there's anything we can do to help you on your journey, just ask. It has been a privilege getting to know you just a little bit and I hope there will be other opportunities to do so down the road. Nor will I forget the many seemingly small (but big to us) courtesies you extended to me and my family over the years. Thank you.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Really sorry to hear this, but I wish Matt all the best for whatever plans he may have for the future. Such a nice fellow and obviously talented and skillful man. Gonna miss him!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Clams

Post by Clams »

Good luck Matador, the rock shows won't be the same without you.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So now that I can't get him in trouble for it (not likely), or encourage others to imitate my bad behavior, I can tell you what Matt did for me: The last time the band played Little Rock, I was without cash. My credit card was maxed out and my ATM card was at home. I really wanted a poster--I always try to get posters for hometown shows--and Matt took my check. That may sound like a little thing to some folks, but it was a big deal to me, and I really appreciated it.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Matador is a motherfuckin rock star. I remember the first time I saw them some thirteen years ago (back before PBR and comp'ed Jack Daniels turned into Amstel and tequila) and one of the first impressions was seeing Matt with his giant mutton chops and trucker hat up on stage. He was extremely intimidating at first; he looked like he belonged in a biker gang more than a rock band. I met him, Jason and EZB that day; I had only saw a small picture of them in like Rolling Stone or something and initially thought Matt was Jason, which they got a kick out of. I gained a couple friends that day and I'll miss seeing him manning the board at shows. I don't think I've ever met a nicer dude.

Thank out Matt for the years of sonic greatness you bestowed upon us and I hope to see you again either in Athens or at some random rock show.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

I'm so sorry to hear this news, and wish nothing but happiness and love to Matt and his beautiful family. It won't be the same without him. I have no doubts, that whatever he chooses to do next, he'll be a huge success.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Smitty, I had pretty much the same experience as you regarding Matt/Jason at my first DBT show. It was at Headliners in Louisville on 6/28/03 and I'd just discovered DBT 6-8 months earlier, but hadn't caught a show yet. I knew what Patterson & Cooley looked like, and I knew this newer guitarist was kind of a big, burly dude. I went to piss before the show and when I came back out, I told my buddy, "I think I just saw one of the guitar players walking in as I was walking out of the bathroom". Then I saw that same guy fooling with stuff on the stage before the show, then he'd walk back to the soundboard, and we just figured since he was "the new guy", they were making him do all this stuff. Then, when the show started, we realized he was the sound guy and the younger, Terry Gordy lookalike was the guitarist.

Matt has been a big part of the DBT family for as long as I've been going to shows, gonna be different not seeing him behind the board at the next show. Good luck in your future endeavors Mattador.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

rlipps wrote:Then, when the show started, we realized he was the sound guy and the younger, Terry Gordy lookalike was the guitarist.
That's the best description I've ever read of the way Jason looked in those days!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I don't know Matt. Never met him. But I've stood there while some of yall have talked to him and watched him walk around and talk to people at the Tallahassee show back in May and my impression of him has always been good. He seems like a nice person. I remarked to my buddy Mike that Matt looked like he didn't feel good or something at the Tallahassee show. I hope he's doing ok as far as health is concerned and that has nothing to do with this.

He always did a great job and worked hard. Good luck in whatever is next, Matt. And thanks.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

beantownbubba wrote:A nice tribute, Cooley. Thanks for that.

Matt, please know that you leave with an enormous reservoir of good will and respect among fans of the band. I personally found the news to be both shocking and depressing (for me). It will not be the same without you. I hope that that this change works out for the best for you and your family and with your talent, experience and character I am sure that it will. I have no idea what it might be, but I know I speak for many here in saying that if there's anything we can do to help you on your journey, just ask. It has been a privilege getting to know you just a little bit and I hope there will be other opportunities to do so down the road. Nor will I forget the many seemingly small (but big to us) courtesies you extended to me and my family over the years. Thank you.

Wow, what Bubba said. For all of the kindness and professionalism you've shown over the years, my sincerest thanks. You have a beautiful family, may you keep on rockin'.

Hud

Post by Hud »

Best of luck Matt! Thanks for all, especially the great sounds!
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I'm so sorry to hear this, but I know Matt misses his family fiercely when he's on the road.

Matt, I hope you check in and read all the love you're getting. As bubba says, I'm grateful for your many kindnesses, large and small. Here among the living, you know you're my favorite, and that won't change.

See you in Athens.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

As much as we love DBT and the music a huge part of the experience for us is that we're one big family of heathens. When we go to a show we always take a look at who else is making the trek and whose smiling faces we'll get to see that time. One constant was always Matador. A nicer human being you would be hard pressed to find and the genuine affection he had for the entire community was something rare. To say we will miss him as a part of the experience is a huge understatement. He was usually the first person we saw when we arrived for a show and often the last as we made our goodbyes. I fully hope and expect to be able to spend time with he and his beautiful family again as he takes a different path in life but the DBT experience will never be quite the same. You truly are one of the special people Matty and we'll see you again sooner rather than later.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Matt will be missed. the last show I saw at Cains was as clear and loud as I've ever heard in that room. itš a tough place acoustically and he had it down. Good luck with whatever the future brings.

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

Matt, I'll miss seeing you at DBT shows. Good luck with your next endeavor - wherever you land, they will be lucky to have you. And enjoy the time with your family!

Hope our paths will cross again sometime soon, my friend.
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Best of luck to Matt! Not the point of Cooley's note but it was nice to read this: "As most of you know, we are about to release a new record and tour more ambitiously than we have in a long time"
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

OldCloverdale

Post by OldCloverdale »

The Southern rock story of Matt DeFilippis and the Drive-By Truckers

http://www.roanoke.com/arts_and_enterta ... 9b9a7.html

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I want to extend my best wishes to Matt and his family. I'm sure he has many great things in store for him in the future.
Keep calm and have a cigar

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

I will miss Matt greatly. Matt is one of the many crew members always greeting you with a warm friendly smile and hug. Enjoy your time at home with your family.
When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Sad news for the DBT family. Thanks Matt, for all the hard work that made the Rock Show even better for us. Best of luck in the future Matador!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

The epitome of "a hard act to follow "
Always go to the show

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Best wishes and congratulations on a job well done, Matt.

As one that travels a lot in my profession it is so cool to see new places and meet new people, however I absolutely empathize you. Each passing day is simply one day closer to home.

Enjoy whatever that next phase is in your life!