DBT to play at Democratic National Convention

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

StormandStatic

Re: DBT to play at Democratic National Convention

Post by StormandStatic »

blackwll wrote:
Wonder if George T will sit in with DBT?
You know Huck wishes he could.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So what do we think of Third Eye Blind's performance at the RNC last nite?

Musicians can make art out of antagonizing the audience, exposing them to new ideas, challenging their long-held beliefs and making them think outside their own personal boxes. That's all to the good. But I'm thinking that's different than just baiting your audience by taking easy potshots and acting arrogant and condescending, essentially trolling in non-virtual form.

But whatever one thinks of that part of their performance, I don't get the "we're going to punish the audience by not playing the hits and generally mailing it in" part of the evening. They took the money, I assume.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

beantownbubba wrote:So what do we think of Third Eye Blind's performance at the RNC last nite?

Musicians can make art out of antagonizing the audience, exposing them to new ideas, challenging their long-held beliefs and making them think outside their own personal boxes. That's all to the good. But I'm thinking that's different than just baiting your audience by taking easy potshots and acting arrogant and condescending, essentially trolling in non-virtual form.

But whatever one thinks of that part of their performance, I don't get the "we're going to punish the audience by not playing the hits and generally mailing it in" part of the evening. They took the money, I assume.
I never think of Third Eye Blind's performance(s) at all. Never have and never will.

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

My thoughts are as follows. 3EB WAS a really, really good band in the mid to late 90s. Their self-titled album is a classic in my opinion. Every track on that album is great. If someone left you or you're going through some form of loss, that album really hits home. Ever since, they have spiraled. They had some stuff here and there which was "good" but never "great" again. I've seen them 5 times throughout their career and this put the nail in the coffin for me.

I am all for bands being political in their songwriting. What I love and admire about DBT is that they challenge views but do so in a form that comes across as asking questions and leaving their audience to develop their own answer and response. THAT is art. 3EB, playing a Republican filled room (knowingly) and refusing to play anything people want to hear and being a total dick the whole performance, that isn't art. That's being ignorant. Had they declined or said they'd play and use it as a forum to express their views on what needs changed in America, I would respect that too. Getting on stage and proclaiming "I'm the motherfucking artist". Meh. To me it's like the old adage goes..."If you have to tell me how great you are and that you are the best at this and the best at that, I doubt you're that great". Perfect example are the Gallagher brothers. I LOVED Oasis back in the day. But when you have to constantly tell people, "I'm great." The short answer is, "No. You're probably average at best".

I'm a very middle of the road person politically and I am scared shitless in this election. I do not see a lesser of two evils. I see a choice between a turd sandwich and a turd in a hot dog roll. Anyway you slice it, it's not good. I respect all beliefs but my biggest complaint with the left is their attitude of "tolerate this and tolerate that". God forbid someone challenges their views because of a differing opinion...then they're all over that person for being a bigot or simple-minded or just being hateful. Not so tolerant are they?

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

guitarmanmcs wrote:My thoughts are as follows. 3EB WAS a really, really good band in the mid to late 90s. Their self-titled album is a classic in my opinion. Every track on that album is great. If someone left you or you're going through some form of loss, that album really hits home. Ever since, they have spiraled. They had some stuff here and there which was "good" but never "great" again. I've seen them 5 times throughout their career and this put the nail in the coffin for me.

I am all for bands being political in their songwriting. What I love and admire about DBT is that they challenge views but do so in a form that comes across as asking questions and leaving their audience to develop their own answer and response. THAT is art. 3EB, playing a Republican filled room (knowingly) and refusing to play anything people want to hear and being a total dick the whole performance, that isn't art. That's being ignorant. Had they declined or said they'd play and use it as a forum to express their views on what needs changed in America, I would respect that too. Getting on stage and proclaiming "I'm the motherfucking artist". Meh. To me it's like the old adage goes..."If you have to tell me how great you are and that you are the best at this and the best at that, I doubt you're that great". Perfect example are the Gallagher brothers. I LOVED Oasis back in the day. But when you have to constantly tell people, "I'm great." The short answer is, "No. You're probably average at best".

I'm a very middle of the road person politically and I am scared shitless in this election. I do not see a lesser of two evils. I see a choice between a turd sandwich and a turd in a hot dog roll. Anyway you slice it, it's not good. I respect all beliefs but my biggest complaint with the left is their attitude of "tolerate this and tolerate that". God forbid someone challenges their views because of a differing opinion...then they're all over that person for being a bigot or simple-minded or just being hateful. Not so tolerant are they?

Fair enough, I'll own it: I'm not very tolerant of bigotry or hatred, but I try to be patient with simple-mindedness.

It seems to me that showing up at the RNC, playing a non-crowd-pleasing set and then taking the money is probably the coolest, most punk rock thing Third Eye Blind has ever done. The booker should have done their homework and is at the very least the second person who should be fired for doing a shit job at that event, preceded by Melania's script "writer."
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Clams wrote:
sactochris wrote:I cut all musicians a great deal of slack these days when it comes to making a buck. It's so hard to make a dollar and a dime in the music business. The concept of selling out almost doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.
Do what you gotta do
kevin Gordon put this piece up this morning about playin the RNC in 2004. Good read.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Some more about this show. First of all, it isn't just DBT, Kesha is also on the bill and it's being hosted by George Takei (from Star Trek) and Elizabeth Banks (from Pitch Perfect, I think she's an actress??). Second, it's sponsored by Americans for Responsible Solutions which is the leading gun control PAC/lobby in the country and was founded and is led led by Gabby Giffords and her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly. In addition to sponsoring the show, Giffords and Kelly will be leading a high profile gun control rally in center city Philadelphia (right in the middle of the DNC) which is sure to garner a lot of attention. Given all that, I'd say it's pretty likely that the show will be news worthy. Should be interesting.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Am I the only one a little surprised they're playing a gun control lobby benefit? I've read Cooley's gun piece, and I remember Patterson (many years ago) quoted as saying that DBT were Democrats, but the "gun-totin" type (which, in a very reductive sense--I don't 'tote' and I don't plan to vote--describes me). DEFINITELY not looking to get into a gun control debate here, but between the frankly self righteous press release and now this, I'm starting to feel a little butt-hurt. Just me?

Clams

Post by Clams »

jimmyjack wrote:Am I the only one a little surprised they're playing a gun control lobby benefit? I've read Cooley's gun piece, and I remember Patterson (many years ago) quoted as saying that DBT were Democrats, but the "gun-totin" type (which, in a very reductive sense--I don't 'tote' and I don't plan to vote--describes me). DEFINITELY not looking to get into a gun control debate here, but between the frankly self righteous press release and now this, I'm starting to feel a little butt-hurt. Just me?
JJ: If I'm not mistaken Giffords and her husband are gun owners but they are advocating for responsible ownership and use. "Gun control" doesn't necessarily mean "100% anti-gun." In other words, you can be a "gun-totin' type" and also be in favor of gun control, they are not mutually exclusive. (Like you, not looking to start a gun control debate, just explaining how I'd reconcile why DBT is playing a gun control benefit).

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Clams wrote:"Gun control" doesn't necessarily mean "100% anti-gun."
This is a great point. It seems over the past decade or so "gun control" has become "anti-gun" in the minds of many people. I have never seen it that way.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

jr29 wrote:
Clams wrote:
sactochris wrote:I cut all musicians a great deal of slack these days when it comes to making a buck. It's so hard to make a dollar and a dime in the music business. The concept of selling out almost doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.
Do what you gotta do
kevin Gordon put this piece up this morning about playin the RNC in 2004. Good read.
Just realized I didn't post the link. I'm a tool.
http://kg.kevingordon.net/

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

Thank you for the links and insight to your opinions. I like to think most of us are in favor of reasonable control. My concern with the government and gun ownership is that if you give an inch they take a mile. I work for the government, so I can definitely state this is the truth. I am a gun owner and conceal carry daily. However, there are individuals who should never, ever, ever, ever have an access to guns. It's a touchy subject and one that I feel is a slippery slope once the government gets involved. I'm glad most of us on here can express ourselves respectfully and without cutting each other down. As Patterson and Cooley often state, and as I feel for myself, I don't have any answers to this issue we have. The gun violence in America a tragic symptom of much deeper issue in our minds and culture. I have no doubts whatsoever that if guns were banned, we (as a people) would still find ways to carry out acts of evil. I don't think we can or will ever stop this.

Flea

Post by Flea »

guitarmanmcs wrote:Thank you for the links and insight to your opinions. I like to think most of us are in favor of reasonable control. My concern with the government and gun ownership is that if you give an inch they take a mile. I work for the government, so I can definitely state this is the truth. I am a gun owner and conceal carry daily. However, there are individuals who should never, ever, ever, ever have an access to guns. It's a touchy subject and one that I feel is a slippery slope once the government gets involved. I'm glad most of us on here can express ourselves respectfully and without cutting each other down. As Patterson and Cooley often state, and as I feel for myself, I don't have any answers to this issue we have. The gun violence in America a tragic symptom of much deeper issue in our minds and culture. I have no doubts whatsoever that if guns were banned, we (as a people) would still find ways to carry out acts of evil. I don't think we can or will ever stop this.
Not trying to be trollish or start a pissing contest, just genuinely curious - why do you need to conceal carry daily?
Last edited by Flea on Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now it's dark.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I don't buy the slippery slope analogy with regards to gun control; the government was given an "inch" in 1934 and have yet to "take a mile", so I think we're OK. It seems to me it's more give the government an inch and by the time a bill is passed, they only have a quarter left.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

Flea wrote:
guitarmanmcs wrote:Thank you for the links and insight to your opinions. I like to think most of us are in favor of reasonable control. My concern with the government and gun ownership is that if you give an inch they take a mile. I work for the government, so I can definitely state this is the truth. I am a gun owner and conceal carry daily. However, there are individuals who should never, ever, ever, ever have an access to guns. It's a touchy subject and one that I feel is a slippery slope once the government gets involved. I'm glad most of us on here can express ourselves respectfully and without cutting each other down. As Patterson and Cooley often state, and as I feel for myself, I don't have any answers to this issue we have. The gun violence in America a tragic symptom of much deeper issue in our minds and culture. I have no doubts whatsoever that if guns were banned, we (as a people) would still find ways to carry out acts of evil. I don't think we can or will ever stop this.
Not trying to be trollish or start a pissing contest, just genuinely curious - why do you need to conceal carry daily?
I conceal carry because I live in one the top 20 most dangerous cities in the United States, despite being a medium-sized city. Drug deals are rampant on a daily basis and often witnessed as I walk to and from work. My job requires that I work with some very violent individuals who have severely injured (intentionally) innocent people in the not-too-distant past. I carry because I travel into frequently violent areas for work. Hell, in my neck of the woods you don't even need to have this job to get hurt. In our state's capital a short time back a man was driving on the highway, was pushed off the road by someone and shot dead. No motive. The killer just wanted to know what it was like to kill someone. So yeah, it may be a false sense of security, but I carry.

The gun control the Democrats crave in their wet dreams would not solve problems even if it came to fruition, which it won't, because there's millions of us Americans who will refuse to comply or surrender or not carry our guns. Look at Germany and Japan, two countries that have very, very strict gun control laws. Any ideas on what happened there within the last week? I am a believer that if someone wants to do evil, they will find a way. You don't need a gun to do it. Chances are, in my state, if you legally conceal carry a firearm and have passed the background checks and have safety classes...I doubt they are someone the community needs to worry about.

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

Smitty wrote:I don't buy the slippery slope analogy with regards to gun control; the government was given an "inch" in 1934 and have yet to "take a mile", so I think we're OK. It seems to me it's more give the government an inch and by the time a bill is passed, they only have a quarter left.
Not to be disrespectful but have you been to Baltimore or Detroit recently? They both have strict gun control laws. In Baltimore, off duty police cannot even conceal carry due to the state's unwillingness to issue a permit without a cause. Their gun control works great because only the criminals can carry guns. Yeah, I think if the current administration of Democrats had their way, they'd ideally like to ban firearms. It's just much easier to work their way in slowly instead of at once. People tend to care less if the pieces are chipped away little by little.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

guitarmanmcs wrote:
Smitty wrote:I don't buy the slippery slope analogy with regards to gun control; the government was given an "inch" in 1934 and have yet to "take a mile", so I think we're OK. It seems to me it's more give the government an inch and by the time a bill is passed, they only have a quarter left.
Not to be disrespectful but have you been to Baltimore or Detroit recently? They both have strict gun control laws. In Baltimore, off duty police cannot even conceal carry. Their gun control works great because only the criminals can carry guns. Yeah, I think if the current administration of Democrats had their way, they'd ideally like to ban firearms. It's just much easier to work their way in slowly instead of at once. People tend to care less if the pieces are chipped away little by little.
No major leader has ever called for a complete firearms ban. Whey is this always a talking point? Oh right, the NRA spreads it to sell more guns
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tha Criddler

Post by Tha Criddler »

Zip City wrote:
guitarmanmcs wrote:
Not to be disrespectful but have you been to Baltimore or Detroit recently? They both have strict gun control laws. In Baltimore, off duty police cannot even conceal carry. Their gun control works great because only the criminals can carry guns. Yeah, I think if the current administration of Democrats had their way, they'd ideally like to ban firearms. It's just much easier to work their way in slowly instead of at once. People tend to care less if the pieces are chipped away little by little.
No major leader has ever called for a complete firearms ban. Whey is this always a talking point? Oh right, the NRA spreads it to sell more guns

and my god does it work.

Flea

Post by Flea »

guitarmanmcs wrote:
Flea wrote:
I conceal carry because I live in one the top 20 most dangerous cities in the United States, despite being a medium-sized city. Drug deals are rampant on a daily basis and often witnessed as I walk to and from work. My job requires that I work with some very violent individuals who have severely injured (intentionally) innocent people in the not-too-distant past. I carry because I travel into frequently violent areas for work. Hell, in my neck of the woods you don't even need to have this job to get hurt. In our state's capital a short time back a man was driving on the highway, was pushed off the road by someone and shot dead. No motive. The killer just wanted to know what it was like to kill someone. So yeah, it may be a false sense of security, but I carry.

The gun control the Democrats crave in their wet dreams would not solve problems even if it came to fruition, which it won't, because there's millions of us Americans who will refuse to comply or surrender or not carry our guns. Look at Germany and Japan, two countries that have very, very strict gun control laws. Any ideas on what happened there within the last week? I am a believer that if someone wants to do evil, they will find a way. You don't need a gun to do it. Chances are, in my state, if you legally conceal carry a firearm and have passed the background checks and have safety classes...I doubt they are someone the community needs to worry about.
You should have stopped after your first paragraph.
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I thought this thread was about DBT playing at the DNC.

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

Clams wrote:I thought this thread was about DBT playing at the DNC.
It was supposed to be. We got a little side tracked.

Clams

Post by Clams »

How about this from today's Phila Inquirer:
In other DNC-related concert news, Joe Walsh and Jason Isbell will headline "one Hell of a Night" Monday night at World Cafe Live (3025 Walnut St.). The non-partisan concert is promoted by the Distilled Spirits Council, a liquor lobbying group.
Sponsored by the Distilled Spirits Council?? :shock: :shock:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:How about this from today's Phila Inquirer:
In other DNC-related concert news, Joe Walsh and Jason Isbell will headline "one Hell of a Night" Monday night at World Cafe Live (3025 Walnut St.). The non-partisan concert is promoted by the Distilled Spirits Council, a liquor lobbying group.
OK, that's more than a little surprising, but I can't get past Tuesday's paper reporting that a concert will take place the night before.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Clams wrote:How about this from today's Phila Inquirer:
OK, that's more than a little surprising, but I can't get past Tuesday's paper reporting that a concert will take place the night before.
Ha, I caught that too. The city's a bit overwhelmed right now - convention, protestors, security, bad weather, traffic, etc - and I guess that applies to the newspaper too.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Patterson and Cooley on MSNBC at 3:00 EDT today!

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

More from the convention. Here's a 51 foot long joint making it's way down Broad Street from City Hall
(If you look closely you can see Wood Duck holding up the back end of the joint :lol:)

Clams

Post by Clams »

^^^that guitar is the only way I know I'm in the right place. On the rail with the most bizarro trucker crowd you can imagine. Van and Allison here too.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

We need a set list!
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Clams

Post by Clams »

LBRod wrote:We need a set list!
Ramon Casiano/Ever South/shit shots/bulldozers/ghost to most/guns of Umpqua/what it means/surrender under protest/sinkhole/Gravity's gone/zip city/Gabby Giffords speech (goosebumps) /let there be rock

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

jr29 wrote:
Clams wrote:
Do what you gotta do
Steve Earle had a great take on that. I heard him say he wanted to be like Neil Young and refuse everyone who wanted to use his music for commercial purposes. He said he finally came to the realization that he needed money and that Neil had been a millionaire since his early 20's. Very easy for Neil to say no.
Donald Trump Is Running Out Of Songs To Play At His Rallies

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks while formally accepting his party's
nomination on the fourth day of the Republican National Convention on July 21, 2016

Photo by John Moore/Getty Images