American Band- 9/30/16

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: American Band- 9/30/16

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
I'll grant you the second line.
you like Counting Crows?
Sorry but I thought August and Everything After was fucking brilliant and the next couple had good stuff before it all went off the rails.
TC speaks for me.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

beantownbubba wrote: you like Counting Crows?
Sorry but I thought August and Everything After was fucking brilliant and the next couple had good stuff before it all went off the rails.[/quote]

TC speaks for me.[/quote]

A girl I used to get it on with in my first weeks of university used to insist on a soundtrack of August and Everything After. Maybe it really is good, maybe it isn't but I'm not ruining the memory by finding out.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Just heard Ramon Casiano as bumper music on Chicago sports talker WSCR. The same show has used Sinkhole as bumper music before so it's not that unusual but still.
Now, on the same station, Ramon Casiano (sans vocals) is the music behind a World Series promo spot. :D
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Fav songs on the record, from most to least:

Guns
F&F
Ever South
Ramon
SDS
WIM
Darkened
Imagine
Baggage
Kinky
Surrender
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Is "Baggage" a power ballad?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Smitty wrote:Fav songs on the record, from most to least:

Guns
F&F
Ever South
Ramon
SDS
WIM
Darkened
Imagine
Baggage
Kinky
Surrender
Wow! If I ever get to hear this damn record, I'll probably make my own listing, but I'm pretty sure as it stands now that your lowest song is my highest one.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Virtue is supposedly finally rewarded tomorrow, as my red vinyl copy just got (I am told) delivered to my local independent record store, which is also holding me a bonus CD. It may be a month late, but it's red! And soon it'll be heard, too.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Unabashed Counting Crows fan. Every single album has its moments, and the first two are fucking masterpieces.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Iowan wrote:Unabashed Counting Crows fan. Every single album has its moments, and the first two are fucking masterpieces.
I won't go as far as to put the second one into the masterpiece category but the first record is one of my favorite debut albums, ever. I also really enjoy Across a Wire: Live in New York City.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

The Current in MPLS has been playing Ever South. Is that an official "single?"
ain't no static on the gospel radio

John A Arkansawyer

I want to repeat what I said months ago about Surrender Under Protest:
There may be two separate things to take away from this. The first is the depth of compassion in Cooley's lyric. It's not stupid compassion; it's the kind that sees all the costs and adds them up and yet still exists. The second is that those of us who feel some level of despair for the times we live in now can consider have reason for hope, in the long term. Look, he's saying, at this very bad cause which has reached out of an undead past and keeps on grabbing people by the throat today. Worst case scenario, if they can hold out for a century and a half, well, maybe so can you. Watch and learn.

Or maybe I overinterpret. I've been known to do that.
Or maybe not.
Last edited by John A Arkansawyer on Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Is it wrong that while acknowledging how good (and important) this record is, that it might not make my Top Ten for the year? Between this being a phenomenal year for new music and the fact that there are other records I just enjoy more (because I don't always want to be reminded of the shit we're living through), I'm not sure where this one will land.

That said, I'm probably a minority' if one here :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:Is it wrong that while acknowledging how good (and important) this record is, that it might not make my Top Ten for the year? Between this being a phenomenal year for new music and the fact that there are other records I just enjoy more (because I don't always want to be reminded of the shit we're living through), I'm not sure where this one will land.

That the album is not your favorite doesn't even raise an eyebrow, much less constitute a surprise. That it's not in your top 10 just means you're trying way too hard.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Zip City wrote:Is it wrong that while acknowledging how good (and important) this record is, that it might not make my Top Ten for the year? Between this being a phenomenal year for new music and the fact that there are other records I just enjoy more (because I don't always want to be reminded of the shit we're living through), I'm not sure where this one will land.

That the album is not your favorite doesn't even raise an eyebrow, much less constitute a surprise. That it's not in your top 10 just means you're trying way too hard.
It may be. I havent put the work into ranking things yet. If I had to guess it would probably fall in the 6-8 range, which isn't a sleight to the record in the least. It's just against stuff competition this year. A spoil of riches for music fans
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

This isn't yet a fully-formed post but here it goes anyway. As I've listened to American Band over the past few days, it's dawned on me that it isn't generating the same listening experience that it did before the election and the 180 degree change in the country's agenda. Now when I listen, I feel like Raymond Casiano (the person not the song) has been kicked aside yet again and in an even worse way. Like the country doesn't give a fuck what happened at Umpqua. I feel like before it was the confederate flag assholes who were surrendering under protest, but now it's DBT and all of us. Like the dad in Filthy & Fried (yes, I still think the guy is her father) has even more to worry about as his daughter makes her way in a world where the fucking President of the United States says it's okay if you want to grab a girl by the pussy. Like nobody cares What It Means and the Darkened Flags are now way darker. And Once they Banned Imagine, as scary as it is, becomes even more urgent. For months this record has consistently fired me up, but right now now it's just leaving me in a melancholy mood. Weird how the vibe of a record, and so many other things, can change overnight. Maybe, I hope, it'll pass but I don't know.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Kudzu Guillotine

I keep seeing people say R.E.M. should reform in light of the election. Everyone that knows me knows how big of a R.E.M. fan I am but I just don't see that happening. I also realize some just mean it in jest, that times like these call for music that will soothe and reassure us. To me, that band at the moment is DBT's. If anything, American Band hits even harder post-election. That said, I haven't exactly been immersing myself in topical music or any specific type of music for that matter.

Maybe this is best reserved for a thread devoted to year-end favorites but at the moment, I have several I would place in the number 1 slot:

DBT's American Band
Hiss Golden Messenger Heart Like A Levee
Angel Olsen My Woman
Lydia Loveless Real
Mount Moriah How To Dance

Out of these, if I had to choose, I'd go for Hiss Golden Messenger's Heart Like A Levee. I was just reminded (thanks to FB's On This Day feature) that it was roughly a year ago that he debuted this album over two nights at Duke University. The show I saw was on the second night, the day after the terrorist attacks in Paris. The unspeakable tragedy of the attack definitely informed the performance that night without a word needing to be said about it from the stage. That night is something that has stayed with me ever since and likely will for a long time to come. I'm sure it also speaks to how much I appreciate the record and the healing properties within.

Two albums I haven't heard this year that I'm sure would add to my favorites are Alejandro's latest as well as the debut album from The Flat Five, both of which have been receiving rave reviews from friends.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

This unheralded Tom Petty gem goes with Ever South like stuffing goes with turkey. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NmpNPpze38 (love Highway Companion - it doesn't get the props it deserves)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ramonz wrote:This unheralded Tom Petty gem goes with Ever South like stuffing goes with turkey. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NmpNPpze38 (love Highway Companion - it doesn't get the props it deserves)
Oh hell yes. One of my favorites.

Create myself down south
Impress all the women
Pretend I'm Samuel Clemens
Wear seersucke
r and white linens

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
ramonz wrote:This unheralded Tom Petty gem goes with Ever South like stuffing goes with turkey. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NmpNPpze38 (love Highway Companion - it doesn't get the props it deserves)
Oh hell yes.
Anyone else see what TC just did there?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

ramonz wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Oh hell yes.
Yeah, yeah. Don't encourage the kid in the corner w/ the headphones on. ;)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ramonz wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Oh hell yes.
8-)

Kudzu Guillotine

Will Trump Bring Back Protest Music? Common, Drive-By Truckers & Others Weigh In

Donald Trump during an election night rally on Nov. 9, 2016 in New York City.
AP Photo/ Evan Vucci

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

1/2 assed theory....

1. dbt has become betamax guillotine 2.0....except for the drugs and plane crash. sort of.
2. patterson moves away from red to blue.
3. rebel flag imagery all over the airwaves.
4. race hating/baiting in america.
5. new round of politicians heading to hell for pandering to assholes.
6. trayvon, bullet and trump instead of rvz, bear and wallace.
7. youth gun deaths instead of deadly car crashes, as the universal right of passage.
8. the many dbt parallels to skynyrd's fan mythology.
9. cooley loosing some high art on fans in his magic city hometown.
10. the duality of american band. being inspired/written as a warning/wake up call to america.......and morphing into a call to arms for dissent and loud mouthing truth to power. the "lost cause" vibe/aspect/angle to both sro and american band.
11. sun don't shine standing in for plastic flowers.
12. ever south replaces southern thing and birmingham.
13. a horny teenage dude in zip city to a grown man in filthy and fried. or a horny teenage dude in zip city to an empowered horny dudette in filthy and fried.

12 facts makes something so. i have 13.

i'm sure there's more.
Last edited by dime in the gutter on Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

14. grabby is cooley's new neighbor in guitar man upstairs.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dime in the gutter wrote:a horny teenage dude in zip city to an empowered horny dudette in filthy and fried.
This.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Kudzu Guillotine

Patterson and Cooley on Canada's Q radio. For whatever reason, this program has been dropped by our local NPR affiliate (WUNC), I always enjoyed it.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Great interview. Thanks for posting, KG.
Let the outside air in