American Band- 9/30/16

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brett27295

Re: American Band- 9/30/16

Post by brett27295 »

Finally heard back from MusicToday about the missing 45 from my preordered copy of American Band on red vinyl. They want me to send back my album in exchange for a new copy. If I do that I definitely won't be getting back a copy on red vinyl. No thanks, all I want is the missing 45. What a clusterfuck.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

gepman

Post by gepman »

brett27295 wrote:Finally heard back from MusicToday about the missing 45 from my preordered copy of American Band on red vinyl. They want me to send back my album in exchange for a new copy. If I do that I definitely won't be getting back a copy on red vinyl. No thanks, all I want is the missing 45. What a clusterfuck.
Yeah, they are shipping me a copy of the red vinyl (that I pre-ordered but didn't receive), but want me to pay $6.99 to ship back the wrong one that they sent me initially.
No more. Happy bankruptcy Music Today, I'm done with ya...
Never forget Brett, never forget.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

This happens literally every single pre-order.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Iowan wrote:This happens literally every single pre-order.
I should have never preordered but I wanted a copy on red vinyl. I knew my local store would get copies in, but just in case I preordered. I need to stop doing it. Every time there's some sort of screw up. This one is on me for even thinking I could deal with MusicToday without them fucking up. And I don't really mind that...it's the fact that they have horrible customer service that pisses me off.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I stand slightly corrected. They're going to send me out a new red vinyl copy (or so they claim) with a prepaid return label for the copy I have have. We'll see how it goes...

gepman

Post by gepman »

Live Title Goes Here... MP3's

It is here...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1r3l0v0v5gq9 ... BnIBa?dl=0
Last edited by gepman on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Video of Patterson being interviewed on CNN, also a live performance of "What It Means".

Drive-By Truckers frontman is a self described 'deplorable' but not a Trump supporter

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Just heard Ramon Casiano as bumper music on Chicago sports talker WSCR. The same show has used Sinkhole as bumper music before so it's not that unusual but still.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Sakima

Post by Sakima »

The long running podcast Sound Opinions glowingly discussed the album on their latest podcast. They seemed to be really blown away by it...

http://www.soundopinions.org/show/568/#americanband

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Does anybody know if the Chelsea Cain who gets a shout out in the AB liner notes is THE Chelsea Cain, author of the fabulous and fabulously gory Archie Sheridan - Gretchen Lowell mystery/thrillers? She lives in Portland so it seems like a possible connection. It would be awesome if she's a fan.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Does anybody know if the Chelsea Cain who gets a shout out in the AB liner notes is THE Chelsea Cain, author of the fabulous and fabulously gory Archie Sheridan - Gretchen Lowell mystery/thrillers? She lives in Portland so it seems like a possible connection. It would be awesome if she's a fan.
That's the one.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Does anybody know if the Chelsea Cain who gets a shout out in the AB liner notes is THE Chelsea Cain, author of the fabulous and fabulously gory Archie Sheridan - Gretchen Lowell mystery/thrillers? She lives in Portland so it seems like a possible connection. It would be awesome if she's a fan.
That's the one.
ALSUM! :D :D Is there a specific story or connection, or is she just one of the people in the Portland arts community Patterson met as a result of his move? Can Patterson get me her autograph? ;)

Have you read the books? Highly recommended (but NOT the most recent one that's not part of the series; that was just a mess).

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

"Filthy and Fried" and "Ever South" were my favorites out of the box and are likely going to remain that way, but there's nothing at all bad and most of these are top notch songs that can compare favorably with the rest of the catalog.

However, a song I didn't love at first, "Sun Don't Shine," has snuck up on me HARDCORE. "I'm gonna love you till the markets crash" for some reason hits me in the gut. It's the same emotional punch I get when I hear Sturgill Simpson referencing the Nintendo 64 on "Sea Stories" - you don't expect references like these in songs that are mostly about emotion. The specificity makes it real.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Kevidently wrote: "Sun Don't Shine," has snuck up on me HARDCORE.
The "oooh-oooh-oooh" kills me every time. Shivers.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

So, I had posted earlier in the thread about not receiving the red vinyl when I was supposed to and how Music Today had given me some explanation about how the vinyl ended up with just red swirls in it because of something when it was pressed. That was the end of our correspondence, so I just assumed I was stuck with what I had. Fast forward to yesterday when I get home and find a box from ATO Records. In the box was the red vinyl I had previously ordered, plus a two-sided DBT poster with the album cover on one side and the band on the other, plus the bonus CD.

Kudos to ATO, but it would just be nice if Music Today would actually get something right from the start for once.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

rlipps wrote:So, I had posted earlier in the thread about not receiving the red vinyl when I was supposed to and how Music Today had given me some explanation about how the vinyl ended up with just red swirls in it because of something when it was pressed. That was the end of our correspondence, so I just assumed I was stuck with what I had. Fast forward to yesterday when I get home and find a box from ATO Records. In the box was the red vinyl I had previously ordered, plus a two-sided DBT poster with the album cover on one side and the band on the other, plus the bonus CD.

Kudos to ATO, but it would just be nice if Music Today would actually get something right from the start for once.
Based on what we know about how Patterson reads this board, it's shocking to me that h's allowed his fans to continue to get screwed by Music Today album after album.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
That's the one.
ALSUM! :D :D Is there a specific story or connection, or is she just one of the people in the Portland arts community Patterson met as a result of his move? Can Patterson get me her autograph? ;)

Have you read the books? Highly recommended (but NOT the most recent one that's not part of the series; that was just a mess).
Kevidently, it occurs to me that you'd probably love Chelsea Cain's Archie Sheridan/Gretchen Lowell series. It's not exactly a melding of Steven King and Lawrence Block but it is a melding of first rate mystery/thriller writing and what I assume is first rate gore/horror.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

rlipps wrote:So, I had posted earlier in the thread about not receiving the red vinyl when I was supposed to and how Music Today had given me some explanation about how the vinyl ended up with just red swirls in it because of something when it was pressed. That was the end of our correspondence, so I just assumed I was stuck with what I had. Fast forward to yesterday when I get home and find a box from ATO Records. In the box was the red vinyl I had previously ordered, plus a two-sided DBT poster with the album cover on one side and the band on the other, plus the bonus CD.

I'm still waiting on my package (my preorder was missing the Kinky Hypocrite 45). Hopefully there aren't any screwups this time around. Expecting the package today or tomorrow.

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

brett27295 wrote:

I'm still waiting on my package (my preorder was missing the Kinky Hypocrite 45). Hopefully there aren't any screwups this time around. Expecting the package today or tomorrow.
I got all my preorder stuff no worries but, between the vendor and my mailbox, package 1 of 2 (my signed Homecoming poster) got lost. I am perfectly prepared to blame the Belgian postal "Service" for this but struggling to get anybody to reply to give me the information I'd need to prove it.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

My local record store has still not gotten their order of vinyl. I'm kind of anxious to hear this record. I hear it's pretty good.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:

Based on what we know about how Patterson reads this board, it's shocking to me that h's allowed his fans to continue to get screwed by Music Today album after album.
someone should make up a saying about folks who do the same thing over and over while expecting different results ;)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Zip City wrote:

someone should make up a saying about folks who do the same thing over and over while expecting different results ;)
Yeah, it's not like it would take an Einstein or something.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
and said someone wouldn't even have to be on the beach

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
and said someone wouldn't even have to be on the beach
Cause the beach is too crowded - Adam Duritz, Brian Wilson and Neil Young got there first.

whatwouldcooleydo?

you should be punched in the mouth for mentioning Adam Duritz :lol:

and besides, Philip Glass's Einstein got there before Adam

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:you should be punched in the mouth for mentioning Adam Duritz :lol:

I'll grant you the second line.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:you should be punched in the mouth for mentioning Adam Duritz :lol:

you like Counting Crows?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:

you like Counting Crows?
Sorry but I thought August and Everything After was fucking brilliant and the next couple had good stuff before it all went off the rails.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: you like Counting Crows?
Sorry but I thought August and Everything After was fucking brilliant and the next couple had good stuff before it all went off the rails.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: