American Band- 9/30/16

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

potatoeater

Re: American Band- 9/30/16

Post by potatoeater »

Duke Silver wrote:
jimmyjack wrote:
Luckily, KH is definitely not one of my favorites (sounds half-finished; where's the chorus, Cooley?)
That's interesting. Made me realize that Cooley has a lot of songs that are basically a bunch of verses with guitar solos where the choruses would be. Uncle Frank, Self-Destructive Zones, Perfect Timing, English Oceans, Ramon, KH, Pulaski, Carl Perkins...

Or verses, guitar solos, and a bridge, like Cartoon Gold, Zip City, Filthy & Fried, and Birthday Boy.

I don't disagree that KH sounds unfinished, but it's not necessarily for lack of a chorus.
Yep. I heard, somewhere, that that is why the track just fades out and that is also possibly why they didn't play it live for some time. They were working on an ending/a way to play it out live.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

hope jonicont is ok with posting the pic. i assume by including the link that i'm covered. if not, i'll replace it by stealing/posting a tinnitus pic of iommi.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/49668976 ... rican-band
October 5, 2016 by Jerad Walker • In this concert, filmed at OPB in Portland, Ore., the long-running rock band Drive-By Truckers performs its timely and politically charged new record, American Band, in its entirety.
video to be posted at 7pm...est.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

The past few days I have been really irritated that I didn't get the bonus EP. I did not hear about it until the 1st. Everywhere I could find that did have it, didn't anymore. Why was this kept so quiet?
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

potatoeater wrote:The past few days I have been really irritated that I didn't get the bonus EP. I did not hear about it until the 1st. Everywhere I could find that did have it, didn't anymore. Why was this kept so quiet?
A better question is why wasn't it included in all pre-orders? Or at least offered for a price to all pre-orderers? Best as I can figure, it was a bone to throw at some independent record stores (emphasis on some which is a puzzle all its own) to give them an exclusive to hook the album to (i.e. to motivate sales and make them feel special). Which by itself is ok, but pre-orders are a different market than retail stores so I don't see why there would be a conflict Even more annoyingly, the world being the way it is, those stores are going to be gone well before most of the shut out fans are. Having offered the only rationale I can think of I have to say I don't get it.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

OPR performance was damn good! Baggage was really really good. The premature ending to Kinky, that I believe was brought on by Brad, and Cooley's response was my favorite moment.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

potatoeater wrote:OPR performance was damn good! Baggage was really really good. The premature ending to Kinky, that I believe was brought on by Brad, and Cooley's response was my favorite moment.
I knew I recognized Matt's haircut somewhere:

v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Contacted Music Today. Turns out I can return my album if I'm not satisfied. Holy shit. I just want what I paid for. Get with whoever you need to get with and start putting out fires.Need to call some people, call some people. Surely they have some extra whatever you're missing laying around. Get someone sendiing that shit out. Ok, I feel
a ittle better now.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Here's what I got from Music Today:

Hello Rodney,

Thank you for choosing the Drive-By Truckers store.

We did get an answer back about the LP coloring.

Apparently the decision was made to produce a red/black swirl vinyl instead of the pure red that was originally planned. The mixing of the colors resulted in a large variation in the coloring of the LP's. We will be updating the website to reflect the difference.

I do apologize for the color change.

If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Meredith
Customer Service
http://www.deliveryagent.com
Toll Free (US): 877.MUSIC.77 (1+877.687.4277)
International: 434.205.7049

[---001:000823:17101---]

TDB

Post by TDB »

Just got it. Digesting now. First impressions: reminds me of "A Blessing and a Curse".

So far my favorite song is "What it Means"

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

rlipps wrote:Here's what I got from Music Today:

Hello Rodney,

Thank you for choosing the Drive-By Truckers store.

We did get an answer back about the LP coloring.

Apparently the decision was made to produce a red/black swirl vinyl instead of the pure red that was originally planned. The mixing of the colors resulted in a large variation in the coloring of the LP's. We will be updating the website to reflect the difference.

I do apologize for the color change.

If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Meredith
Customer Service
http://www.deliveryagent.com
Toll Free (US): 877.MUSIC.77 (1+877.687.4277)
International: 434.205.7049

[---001:000823:17101---]
Aha. Still doesn't explain how I ended up with a red swirly one from Amazon.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

roland

Post by roland »

So, apparently changing your billing and shipping address on a Music Today site does not change it in their system. After finding out that my album was returned to the shipper, I was told this little bit of information by the guy I finally got on the phone at MT. He was helpful enough, sending a red copy (that I preordered the first day) expedited. This will be my last dealing with Music Today. The last 3 or 4 times have been a total headache, and at this point I'd rather help my local record shop guy and know that I can get it on release day. I'm done.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I realized as I was listening to Baggage last night that the reason I think I love it so much is that its the first song Patterson has written in a long time that would seamlessly fit onto Southern Rock Opera (musically/melodically).

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Zip City wrote:I realized as I was listening to Baggage last night that the reason I think I love it so much is that its the first song Patterson has written in a long time that would seamlessly fit onto Southern Rock Opera (musically/melodically).
Yea! I definitely hear that too. Especially live, that guitar is so Zip Cityish!

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Love Baggage as an album closer too. Of the 11 tracks, none really stand out as a candidate to close- further evidence of a different mission for DBT when they put this album out. We had Monument Valley, Angels & Fuselage, Mercy Buckets, and Grand Canyon as the 'epic' closers. Then there are the more subdued numbers like Loaded Gun, Goddamn Lonely Love, and Eyes Like Glue (you can throw in Sandwiches as well): all of which pack a mean punch in their own right. To me, Baggage is the perfect curveball to end AB and is fast becoming one of my faves from this record. Now, G.G. Allin?... I can't explain. Absolutely love it, but...

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

roland wrote:So, apparently changing your billing and shipping address on a Music Today site does not change it in their system. After finding out that my album was returned to the shipper, I was told this little bit of information by the guy I finally got on the phone at MT. He was helpful enough, sending a red copy (that I preordered the first day) expedited. This will be my last dealing with Music Today. The last 3 or 4 times have been a total headache, and at this point I'd rather help my local record shop guy and know that I can get it on release day. I'm done.
I'm still waiting for my local record store to get its supply of vinyl. (They don't order CDs or I might've bought one.) They are holding me a copy of the bonus CD, which got there before the release date. Some days, you just have to laugh.

This isn't one of those days. I'm really wanting to hear this damn record, which I should have bought on CD in Kansas City.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cooley & "Filthy & Fried" right out there on the cultural cutting edge:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/09/fashi ... d=39564728

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

"Once They Banned Imagine" is not the greatest song ever written. It's almost definitely not even the best song Cooley's ever written (but check back w/ me in a year). Yet in its way, i think it's truly remarkable and deserves a little attention.

First of all, don't you agree that the name of the song really needs to be "(Once They Banned) Imagine"? The "soul single parenthetical title" thing is a long-standing tradition that the Truckers ought to lay claim to and this is a perfect example.

Anyway, the song. It's amazing how much Cooley says in so few words. It's just like that professor in the documentary said about Uncle Frank: whole theses, to say nothing of blog posts, newspaper columns and books, have been written that don't say as much on the relevant topics as Cooley's 3 verses. Just consider "No nobler cause in our lifetime for setting our sails to the wind." It's incredible how much of the spirit, good will and determination to do right and be right Cooley captures in those few words. And what about the first verse where he fully explains how open our hearts and wounds were and how quickly the cynical, greedy and grabby jumped in and took advantage? Beautiful stuff. Cooley explains the Patriot Act AND how it fits into this sad scenario in exactly 13 words (yes, I counted). There isn't a lawyer, or a poet, in the land who can match that.

I've said elsewhere that the melody sounds like the song should be about heartbreak or some other kind of personal pain. But the more I listen to it, the melody is not at all in opposition to the lyrics (in the way that, say, "Guns of Umpqua" is). The sweetness, resignation and wistfulness of the melody and Cooley's singing are the perfect vehicle for transmitting mass, as well as personal, heartbreak and the pain of being stabbed in the collective back.

In 20 or 30 years one of our kids or grandkids is gonna use this song to correct his teacher's misunderstanding of this time in our history in the same way as the story about the kid who corrected the teacher who didn't know that by his last term George Wallace was very popular among African American voters. And Jay's piano is gonna make somebody cry.

It's not that I detect any groundswell of dislike or hate for the song. But I do get the feeling that it's not as fully appreciated as imho it should be, either. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:"Once They Banned Imagine" is not the greatest song ever written. It's almost definitely not even the best song Cooley's ever written (but check back w/ me in a year). Yet in its way, i think it's truly remarkable and deserves a little attention.

First of all, don't you agree that the name of the song really needs to be "(Once They Banned) Imagine"? The "soul single parenthetical title" thing is a long-standing tradition that the Truckers ought to lay claim to and this is a perfect example.

Anyway, the song. It's amazing how much Cooley says in so few words. It's just like that professor in the documentary said about Uncle Frank: whole theses, to say nothing of blog posts, newspaper columns and books, have been written that don't say as much on the relevant topics as Cooley's 3 verses. Just consider "No nobler cause in our lifetime for setting our sails to the wind." It's incredible how much of the spirit, good will and determination to do right and be right Cooley captures in those few words. And what about the first verse where he fully explains how open our hearts and wounds were and how quickly the cynical, greedy and grabby jumped in and took advantage? Beautiful stuff. Cooley explains the Patriot Act AND how it fits into this sad scenario in exactly 13 words (yes, I counted). There isn't a lawyer, or a poet, in the land who can match that.

I've said elsewhere that the melody sounds like the song should be about heartbreak or some other kind of personal pain. But the more I listen to it, the melody is not at all in opposition to the lyrics (in the way that, say, "Guns of Umpqua" is). The sweetness, resignation and wistfulness of the melody and Cooley's singing are the perfect vehicle for transmitting mass, as well as personal, heartbreak and the pain of being stabbed in the collective back.

In 20 or 30 years one of our kids or grandkids is gonna use this song to correct his teacher's misunderstanding of this time in our history in the same way as the story about the kid who corrected the teacher who didn't know that by his last term George Wallace was very popular among African American voters. And Jay's piano is gonna make somebody cry.

It's not that I detect any groundswell of dislike or hate for the song. But I do get the feeling that it's not as fully appreciated as imho it should be, either. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
The version they played in that live in Oregon stream from last week is out of this world. Especially Cooley's vocals.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

jordanbeck

Post by jordanbeck »

Here's my review (with a collection of other articles about the album).

https://anotheroldguy.wordpress.com/201 ... ican-band/

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

jordanbeck wrote:Here's my review (with a collection of other articles about the album).

https://anotheroldguy.wordpress.com/201 ... ican-band/
Very nicely done! I'll definitely be sharing this with my friends who have not yet drunk the kool-aid.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:The version they played in that live in Oregon stream from last week is out of this world. Especially Cooley's vocals.
True opinion. Probably even true fact.
Markalanbishop wrote:Very nicely done! I'll definitely be sharing this with my friends who have not yet drunk the kool-aid.
Hmmmm, professional courtesy? No, seriously. Very nice. Well, either that or I'm very courteous too ;)

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

This album is the gift that keeps on giving. I've now got three versions on CD & on my ipod - a homemade compilation from audience recordings from the summer; the actual album, and now the Live from NPR version. And each of the live versions are inclusive of filler from various solo/promo appearances. Live at NPR really brought out some flourishes and fills that are less noticeable/absent on the album. Sun Don't Shine seems especially improved. Once They banned Imagine, as well, as mentioned above. The super awesome acoustic version of Ramon Casiano from Live at the Current makes me wish they did they whole album that day too! I love the album photos as well - the inside back cover seems to be Sloss Furnaces, I'd love to hang that one on my wall.

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

#26 debut on the Billboard charts!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

DBT's American Band on Billboard:

#9 Top Current Album
#8 Rock albums
#4 Americana/Folk
#5 Independent Albums
#3 Vinyl sales
Always go to the show

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

pretty pretty pretty good

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Jonicont wrote:DBT's American Band on Billboard:

#9 Top Current Album
#8 Rock albums
#4 Americana/Folk
#5 Independent Albums
#3 Vinyl sales
Damn. That's slightly depressing. I was hoping for better numbers than that. Hopefully this is a slow grower that continues to sell in the months ahead.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:DBT's American Band on Billboard:

#9 Top Current Album
#8 Rock albums
#4 Americana/Folk
#5 Independent Albums
#3 Vinyl sales
:D

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

I think those are damn good numbers and Im confident the Truckers are very proud of them.