American Band- 9/30/16

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ramonz

Re: American Band- 9/30/16

Post by ramonz »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
jimmyjack wrote:I love that this band can release a song that ends up, on the day of an album's release, both a top pick (me, TW_2.0) and bottom pick (Duke) of loyal board members! Such is the duality of the, err, DBT thing. :D

"Ever South," to me, easily cracks the Patterson all-time top 5. But to each his / her own!

Also--miracle of miracles--my LP arrived today, on time! Psyched.
Yeah, Ever South is upper echelon Patterson for me too right up there with Living Bubba, Two Daughters, Sinkhole, Southern Thing and a few others. In fact I think it's of a piece with Southern Thing with narrator on a couple of decades.
Gotta love the Celluloid Heroes synth near the end of Ever South: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBw533s6yG8 Cortez would be proud.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

There is also definitely a Phil Ochs song with a melody that is a little similar to the verses of SUP, but I can't place it

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:My take on Ever South is that it's a fine piece of writing that barely meets the minimum requirements to be considered a "song." I just find it to be super boring. I do enjoy the way the bass rattles my car, though.

The bass on this album (composition, performance, tone, production, everything) is fantastic. Hats off to Mr. Patton.
It's a middle aged Southern Thing set to The Thanksgiving Filter quality music

I don't hate it, but mentioning it in the same breath as The Living Bubba seems a bit much
I think it's a masterpiece. Like a four hour sweeping historical epic movie in under six minutes. To each their own though.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

beantownbubba wrote: Yellow & blue TDS vinyl bought? Check.
Wait, WHAT? How did I miss this? Frenzied searching to commence now.

thedudeabides

Post by thedudeabides »

jimmyjack wrote:I love that this band can release a song that ends up, on the day of an album's release, both a top pick (me, TW_2.0) and bottom pick (Duke) of loyal board members! Such is the duality of the, err, DBT thing. :D

"Ever South," to me, easily cracks the Patterson all-time top 5. But to each his / her own!

Also--miracle of miracles--my LP arrived today, on time! Psyched.
Ever South is my favorite track on the record. Top notch Patterson! My top 5 right now:

Ever South
Filthy and Fried
Surrender Under Protest
Guns of Umpqua
Once They Banned Imagine

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

McButton wrote:For Denver folks, no bonus cd, but there was still a handful of the red vinyl available as of 11 or so.
Just got back from Twist and Shout in Denver. Talked to Paul, the owner. They are getting the bonus disc, just late arriving from the label. Took my info down and will contact me when it arrives so I can go grab it. I would do the same if you want to grab that bonus CDEP.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm currently more drawn to the Neil-esque rockers. I think Baggage is the hidden gem if the record
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

ndavis86 wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: Yellow & blue TDS vinyl bought? Check.
Wait, WHAT? How did I miss this? Frenzied searching to commence now.
I posted about it in the thread for The Dirty South. It's limited to 200 copies and is only available through Newbury Comics. This is the link.

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

First impression: on track to be my favorite since BTCD, for sure.

I'm not ready to rank (I might never be), but I will say that after the first spin, I was pleasantly surprised by how fleshed out "Sun Don't Shine" was in the full-band context. I'd only heard it once before, at a Patterson acoustic show. I enjoyed it, but once the track list went public, I wasn't sure how it would fit in with this rest of the album. Pleased to say that now I think it's a helluva way to end side 1. Of course, I'm an incorrigible fanboy, so YMMV.

Also, goddamn, Ramon Casiano is great. Favorite opener since WTDDS, I think.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Clams wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:
This one was just posted as well. Again, I am honestly not trying to be rude or inconsiderate.
Keep up the good work, Kudzu. I'm not sure the board would survive if we didn't have you pointing out these awful double posts all day long. :roll:

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

Can we also talk about the karmic righteousness that the day AB comes out, the tatters of Roy Moore's legal career are finally thrown in the waste bin where they so clearly belong?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/01/us/ro ... .html?_r=0

whatwouldcooleydo?

jimmyjack wrote:
Zip City wrote:
jimmyjack wrote:Let's all come together and bow our heads
Talkers talk, but nothing gets said
Nothing gets done and the hate it spreads
While mothers and families hang their heads
And children weeping in their beds
Blood was bled and tears were shed
While that (sorry? storied?) flag flies overhead
That blocks the light, but not the lead

whoa nelly those are some terrible lyrics
It's not poetry
Poetry? It's barely English

:lol:
saw them open twice for DBT and they just never clicked with me. Totally are a band that I "should like," but it ain't happening. Same with Heartless Bastards

whatwouldcooleydo?

Duke Silver wrote:"Once they Banned Imagine" reminds me of something but I can't place it.

Maybe "Helpless"...?
I texted Bubba a while back and said this, especially the music

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Dear Shovels & Rope: you desperately need to hire an outside lyricist. Inquire within. Ask about our GhostwriterTM 'anonymity' package!!!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

ndavis86 wrote:Can we also talk about the karmic righteousness that the day AB comes out, the tatters of Roy Moore's legal career are finally thrown in the waste bin where they so clearly belong?

In other karmic righteousness, today is the day they landed the rocket on a comet. (lyric from "What It Means")

I mean, that is just TOO much of a coincidence on release day. Which one of you runs the Europen Space Agency?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/30/health/ro ... et-philae/
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

pearlbeer wrote:
ndavis86 wrote:Can we also talk about the karmic righteousness that the day AB comes out, the tatters of Roy Moore's legal career are finally thrown in the waste bin where they so clearly belong?

In other karmic righteousness, today is the day they landed the rocket on a comet. (lyric from "What It Means")

I mean, that is just TOO much of a coincidence on release day. Which one of you runs the Europen Space Agency?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/30/health/ro ... et-philae/
The NPR story on that same topic featured the phrase "'Grand Finale' of data collection," which I thought was fantastic.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

jimmyjack wrote:Dear Shovels & Rope: you desperately need to hire an outside lyricist. Inquire within. Ask about our GhostwriterTM 'anonymity' package!!!
This is a weird crusade you're on

Clams

Post by Clams »

Cooley's line in Filthy & Fried - It's what alive feels like - is the most glorious moment of the record. Or at least it's the most fun to sing out loud in the car.
If you don't run you rust

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Clams wrote:Cooley's line in Filthy & Fried - It's what alive feels like - is the most glorious moment of the record. Or at least it's the most fun to sing out loud in the car.

Yeah. It has been stuck in my head like a few other key Cooley lyrics.

The first time I heard F&F was this summer in Austin. Right away I said..."I think that is the new Three Dimes Down". It really is a great song. I really like the line: Everyone claims the times are a changing as theirs pass them by.....And everyone's right
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Amazon delivers right on time (also had the new John Prine & Rich Robinson Woodstock Sessions V.3 in same package)

DebbieTrucker

Post by DebbieTrucker »

After about 100 solid listens here is how I rank the tracks from my favorite to least favorite.
Once They Banned Imagine(might be a top 5 DBT song ever for me after seeing it in KC live and its meaning)
Filthy and Fried(ridiculous amount of lyrical riches)
What It Means (needed to be written as point blank as it was)
Ramon Casiano (this is a tragic yet fitting story for Cooley to tell)
Ever South (classic Patterson)
Kinky Hypocrite (another song insanely rich with lyrics)
Guns Of Umpqua (good song I just wish there was a bit more)
Surrender Under Protest (I like chances they took on this one and overall meaning of song)
When The Sun Don't Shine (this song has actually grown on me as time has gone on)
Baggage (this song is good in meaning but doesn't do much for me overall)
Darkened Flags At The Cusp of Dawn
Last edited by DebbieTrucker on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Is this a great time to be a Truckers fan or what? I can barely contain my excitement for that run of shows in early November!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Sun Don't Shine is really growing on me.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:Sun Don't Shine is really growing on me.
It's a perfectly good Hood solo song

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

brett27295 wrote:Is this a great time to be a Truckers fan or what? I can barely contain my excitement for that run of shows in early November!
^^^^this^^^^

Have my 8 copies and handing them out to the unconverted. See you in Richmond buddy!

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

darkened flags is a shit wrecking monster of a song. any live clips of it from recent shows?

i'm sure this has been covered somewhere in one of these threads....did they record this album live in a room? like plug it in and play it and record it.
Last edited by dime in the gutter on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

dime in the gutter wrote: i'm sure this has been covered somewhere in one of these threads....did they record this album live in a room? like plug it in and play it and record it.
Interesting you bring this up, because I feel like many songs on this record DON'T sound like they're in a room together.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Zip City wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote: i'm sure this has been covered somewhere in one of these threads....did they record this album live in a room? like plug it in and play it and record it.
I feel like many songs on this record DON'T sound like they're in a room together.
how so?

to my ears they are completely locked in and working in between and within each other's space and vibe.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Zip City wrote:
I feel like many songs on this record DON'T sound like they're in a room together.
how so?

to my ears they are completely locked in and working in between and within each other's space and vibe.
can't put my finger on it, but some (not all) of the tracks feel a bit more controlled. I can't "hear the room" as much as I can on a track like, say, Go-Go Boots.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Yes, it's good to see the goat fucker bite the dust.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.