American Band- 9/30/16

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: American Band- 9/30/16

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Guys, lets stop already. If there are duplicate threads and Kudzu, or anyone else points that out, let it go. We're not running out of internet space anytime soon but neither are friendly reminders a bad thing so that everyone enjoys the same material. There is a balance and believe it or not it will all work itself out in the end. None of this is worth fighting over.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I haven't really had a chance to listen to the vinyl yet (new turntable is coming today), but I have a feeling that when I do, "Kinky Hypocrite" being relegated to a separate goddamn record is really going to bug me. #shouldabeenyoubaggage
ain't no static on the gospel radio

gepman

Post by gepman »

potatoeater wrote:
rlipps wrote:
gepman wrote:Good News is my pre-order from DBT's website showed up a day earlier than expected (on release day)...

Bad News is they gave me the black vinyl instead of the red that I ordered...

Music Today, the company that just keeps on giving...

Same here, ordered the red vinyl and got black instead
Did it have the sticker on front saying that it was the red vinyl?
No, it didn't. Ordered in mid-July, so I can't imagine they ran out by then already...

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

is the main riff from baggage the same as careless?

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Man this talk of non reds and missing inserts has me wondering about mine. i did not plan on opening it. i guess i will now. ill just slice the wrap on the sleeve side enough to get the contents out then seal her back up.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I spoke to a fellow fan in one of the local record stores recently that said the artwork from the "Filthy & Fried" video is featured in the gatefold of the CD edition of American Band. This person also said they remembered reading somewhere that the vinyl version of the album would include a gatefold (which it doesn't). Anyone have the lowdown on this? Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

phungi

Re: So many damn great songs on American Band!!!

Post by phungi »

MonkBoWaffle wrote: Though I feel they would not have really fit this particular album, I DO miss the "First Air Of Autumn" type tunes and I also have to say that I really miss the "country gold" of songs like "Cartoon Gold"...

I do like the keys/piano. I think they make "Once They Banned Imagine" so much better vs. what it would be without them.
Interesting you mentioned "First Air of Autumn" and "Once They Banned Imagine". I was driving in today and listening to "Once They Banned Imagine" and thought "this is Cooley's First Air of Autumn" song on the new album... relative to the other Cooley songs on AB, this is the only slower one.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

First 2,500 vinyl pre-orders will receive red vinyl. Red vinyl will be available ONLY through the Drive-By Truckers webstore and US indie shops
Funny. Mine's definitely red-ish, from Amazon.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I spoke to a fellow fan in one of the local record stores recently that said the artwork from the "Filthy & Fried" video is featured in the gatefold of the CD edition of American Band. This person also said they remembered reading somewhere that the vinyl version of the album would include a gatefold (which it doesn't). Anyone have the lowdown on this? Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.
Alright, so I opened mine. It contains the red vinyl in its sleeve with a band pic on one side and mics from like a press conference on back. It has the 7" KH with Cooley Bird art on one side (not the same as F&F art) and lyrics/mics background on back. The only gatefold in mine is the black one with the note from Patterson on front, lyrics inside and credits/thanks on the the back side. Lastly is the business card for the digital download.
Last edited by potatoeater on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

Duke Silver wrote:I haven't really had a chance to listen to the vinyl yet (new turntable is coming today), but I have a feeling that when I do, "Kinky Hypocrite" being relegated to a separate goddamn record is really going to bug me. #shouldabeenyoubaggage
this is my least favorite thing about AB so far. wish it was either all on one piece of vinyl with the slightest cave in sound quality, or that they'd picked my least favorite song to leave off instead (helllllllllo, Sun Don't Shine).

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:is the main riff from baggage the same as careless?
To me it sounds like Ohio by CSNY
Last edited by Zip City on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:I haven't really had a chance to listen to the vinyl yet (new turntable is coming today), but I have a feeling that when I do, "Kinky Hypocrite" being relegated to a separate goddamn record is really going to bug me. #shouldabeenyoubaggage
Why would you leave the best song on the record off?

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Zip City wrote:
Tone it sounds like Ohio by CSNY
to me it sounds like the same riff only slowed down a bit and left ringing at the end

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Now this must be a good thing (for the band, not me) :lol: Very cool folks at VV in Jersey, btw.

Dear Robert,

The Drive By Truckers CD and bonus single sold out over the weekend. The full length CD is on reorder and should be back in stock by the end of the week. I am attempting to get more copies of the bonus Cd but at this point in time I do not know if any more are available.

I understand that you spoke to Lauren on Saturday and that she put aside the bonus CD for you. Unfortunately she was unaware that there were five pending mail orders for the CD that preceded your order and I was obligated to give that last copy to the first person that placed the order.

Regards,
Donna
Vintage Vinyl Records

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Zip City wrote:
I agree with it being one of my favorite songs on the record. During the first vinyl spin on Saturday, however, it was no big deal to play the 7" when side one is finished. You have to turn the record over anyway so no biggie.
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Daddy_played_poker wrote:
Zip City wrote:
I agree with it being one of my favorite songs on the record. During the first vinyl spin on Saturday, however, it was no big deal to play the 7" when side one is finished. You have to turn the record over anyway so no biggie.
I meant why does Duke want to to remove Baggage (my favorite song)

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

Daddy_played_poker wrote:
Zip City wrote:
It wasn't a huge inconvenience, but I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, which is a belt-driven model. To change from 33 to 45 rpm, you have to physically lift the platter and move the belt, so I had to lift the platter off twice between side 1 and side 2 of the 12" LP. Pro-Ject's design choice is not the Truckers' fault, of course, but I get the feeling I may hear KH significantly more often on Spotify than I hear it on vinyl.

Flea

Post by Flea »

ndavis86 wrote:
It wasn't a huge inconvenience, but I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, which is a belt-driven model. To change from 33 to 45 rpm, you have to physically lift the platter and move the belt, so I had to lift the platter off twice between side 1 and side 2 of the 12" LP. Pro-Ject's design choice is not the Truckers' fault, of course, but I get the feeling I may hear KH significantly more often on Spotify than I hear it on vinyl.
#firstworldproblems :lol:
Now it's dark.

RMD

Post by RMD »

Had a few days to really let this one sink in. I refrained from leaks other than the couple of released tunes and what I caught live in NYC a few months back. Pretty much blown away. The live EP was a nice surprise also. A homerun. Early faves are Ramon, Guns, Filthy, Darkened and Ever South in no particular order.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Just opened mine from the DBT store...got the red vinyl I preordered but it's missing the 45 of Kinky Hypocrite. Unbelievable! Every time, every single time there's an issue.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Last I heard, mine is Salt Lake City.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

Flea wrote:
ndavis86 wrote:
Oh, no doubt.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

ndavis86 wrote:
Flea wrote:
ndavis86 wrote:
Oh, no doubt.
We have a Rega RP-1. Same problem.

Luckily, KH is definitely not one of my favorites (sounds half-finished; where's the chorus, Cooley?), and I have a CD copy of AB too, so I'll still hear the song, you know, every other time I listen to this album.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
The Truckers already did that.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

potatoeater wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I spoke to a fellow fan in one of the local record stores recently that said the artwork from the "Filthy & Fried" video is featured in the gatefold of the CD edition of American Band. This person also said they remembered reading somewhere that the vinyl version of the album would include a gatefold (which it doesn't). Anyone have the lowdown on this? Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.
Alright, so I opened mine. It contains the red vinyl in its sleeve with a band pic on one side and mics from like a press conference on back. It has the 7" KH with Cooley Bird art on one side (not the same as F&F art) and lyrics/mics background on back. The only gatefold in mine is the black one with the note from Patterson on front, lyrics inside and credits/thanks on the the back side. Lastly is the business card for the digital download.
You may not have understood me. From what I have been told, apparently only the CD features gatefold art from Wes Freed, which is evidently the art seen in the "Filthy & Fried" video. Apologies if I did not make that clear. I haven't seen the CD so I've been unable to confirm if it's true or not.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Zip City wrote:
During the last 2-ish minutes of the song, I hear "Zip City"...

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
potatoeater wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:You may not have understood me. From what I have been told, apparently only the CD features gatefold art from Wes Freed, which is evidently the art seen in the "Filthy & Fried" video. Apologies if I did not make that clear. I haven't seen the CD so I've been unable to confirm if it's true or not.
I see now. My reading comprehension skills failed me lol. I hate I opened mine just to find all is right. I iintended to keep it sealed just as a collector item.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote: You may not have understood me. From what I have been told, apparently only the CD features gatefold art from Wes Freed, which is evidently the art seen in the "Filthy & Fried" video. Apologies if I did not make that clear. I haven't seen the CD so I've been unable to confirm if it's true or not.
I have the cd and the vinyl. The cd features a gatefold with the Freed art. The vinyl of course does not feature a gatefold at all.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

gepman wrote:
Zip City wrote:
During the last 2-ish minutes of the song, I hear "Zip City"...
yep, i hear that too. it's that Em-G-D... chord progression (yes, I know they tune down, but those are the chord shapes).

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

jimmyjack wrote:
Luckily, KH is definitely not one of my favorites (sounds half-finished; where's the chorus, Cooley?)
That's interesting. Made me realize that Cooley has a lot of songs that are basically a bunch of verses with guitar solos where the choruses would be. Uncle Frank, Self-Destructive Zones, Perfect Timing, English Oceans, Ramon, KH, Pulaski, Carl Perkins...

Or verses, guitar solos, and a bridge, like Cartoon Gold, Zip City, Filthy & Fried, and Birthday Boy.

I don't disagree that KH sounds unfinished, but it's not necessarily for lack of a chorus.