American Band- 9/30/16

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Southern Efficiency

Re: American Band- 9/30/16

Post by Southern Efficiency »

beantownbubba wrote:Southern Efficiency, as I remember it, the clear channel list was a pretty effective ban for a short time.

After 9/11 this country was as united as it had been in a long, long time. We were focused on getting the bad guys, protecting ourselves and saw ourselves, mostly correctly, as being on the side of the righteous, w/ the support of much of the world. As SE said, we had our cause and we had set our sails. But the "movement" was coopted pretty quickly. "Bin Laden" and "terrorists" became code words for some combination of Arabs and Muslims. Congress rolled up its sleeves and got to work protecting us so we got freedom fries. Wearing a flag pin on your lapel became not only a sign of patriotism but THE sign of patriotism; not wearing a pin made one suspect. Then came the insane spending on anything that could tangentially tie itself to anti-terrorism, the blatant lying and fear mongering that led to 2 wars and untold, unchecked spending and ultimately the completely unpatriotic Patriot Act. Our good intentions had been subverted and inverted by those who had the most to gain for themselves, so what might have been a "just war" became just another "same old" war, like WWI, Vietnam and most wars other than WWII.
On the Clear Channel point: Sure! It probably was a de facto ban. For the purposes of poetry, it's a great little one-syllable word that gets the point across.

Of course I was interpreting "same old war" as the Cold War, but you've got a good point that it could just be any war other than WWII. Maybe that's what he means by "same old war it's always been," like it keeps happening.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The only question about American Band is whether the Holy Trilogy is now a Quartet. AB is without a doubt DBT’s best album in years and one of their best, period.

First, some historical perspective: How many rock musicians have made an album that was anywhere close to their best work 20 years after their first album? I’m sure I’m missing some and y’all will be happy to let me know about it, but this is what I’ve come up with:
Neil Young
Bob Dylan
Buddy Guy
Bonnie Raitt
Peter Wolf (An odd case since his later work is his best)

Arguable:
Bruce Springsteen (The Rising)
David Bowie (I don’t know his later stuff that well but many people who do say it measures up)

That’s all I got and that's some pretty serious company. It is also significant that every one of those performers is a solo artist (w/ the possible exception of Springsteen depending on how one characterizes his relationship w/ the E Streeters). The overwhelming majority of rock music “careers” especially rock band careers are over in well under 20 years and the creative portion of those careers is an even smaller window. Elvis had his big comeback only 12 years after releasing his first album and was unrecognizable and about to be dead after 20. The Beatles lasted 8 years. So the mere existence of an album this good by this band at this time is pretty damn rare and is a fantastic achievement whatever the details. Mad Respect.

This is a band out to make a statement about the world and the band’s place in it starting with the album title and cover. It ain’t bragging if you can back it up and with American Band DBT stakes its claim to being THE American band making the best, most authentic, most real, most important American music. And this album is about nothing if it’s not about America.

Hood and Cooley are at the top of their respective games throughout the album. The rhymes, wordplay, insight, depth and breadth of the writing make American Band what it is. Cooley's phrasing remains a marvel and Patterson is singing better than ever (though I'm not sure what to make of that vocal hiccup on “sitting” in “What It Means”). Both sing with great passion; these songs obviously matter to them.

One can't talk about AB without talking about its political bent. Hood and Cooley take on a remarkable breadth of difficult, complex topics and get to the heart of each in trenchant and powerful ways. The unifying theme that courses through these songs is inevitably the eternal “American dilemma” of race. Patterson and Cooley make their way through that particularly difficult and sensitive minefield with rare precision and understanding, their eyes always on the prize. From Cooley’s knowing “like in mind and like in skin” to Hood’s defiant “I guess that means that you ain’t black,” the message is “we know who you are, we know what you’re really up to and we’ve had enough.”

Patterson and Cooley have often addressed similar subjects in different ways that come together as a coherent whole and this dynamic is on full display on AB. The ties that bind, say, “Surrender Under Protest” and “Darkened Flags” or “What It Means” and “Once They Banned Imagine” seem clear. For two writers working separately to create such thematic consistency over such a challenging range of topics is itself an achievement and reinforces their messages in a compelling way. Couplets and verses leap out at the listener and virtually demand repeated listening. Of many examples, here’s one favorite:
And for six long generations it’s been told

that among the fallen was tradition

that tradition was the mission

that the wrongness of the sin was not the goal
Does the color really matter

On the face you blame for failure

On the shaming for a battle’s losing cause

If the victims and aggressors

Just remain each other’s others

And the instigators never fight their own

I had an English professor whose mantra was that literature is “news that stays news” and that's AB's ultimate triumph: It is very much of the moment but it transcends the moment. Only time will tell whether it has the timelessness required of truly great works, but I think these songs have staying power. Most of the songs have a “big picture” point of view and widely applicable insights that extend their reach beyond today’s headlines. “Surrender Under Protest” and “Darkened Flags” are inspired by specific events, but they reach back into history and forward to what’s next or what might be and are not constrained by the literalness of the facts. While “What It Means,” the most topical song on the album, addresses today’s hot topic, it's one that unfortunately has been with us for a long time and that is not going away any time soon. Patterson then takes us beyond those specific concerns to capture very eloquently the foolishness, cynicism and hypocrisy with which we as a society think about issues and the ways in which we talk past each other. Check out this summary of the duality of the American condition: “we're living in an age where limitations are forgotten, the outer edges move and dazzle us but the core is something rotten”

DBT's proud history is evident as characters from previous songs make appearances throughout, which adds to the feeling that this album is a kind of culmination. The soldier stuck in the classroom in “Guns of Umpqua” could be the guy from “That Man I Shot.” The woman in “Filthy & Fried” could be the grandchild of the parents in “Primer Coat” and that family is still coming to grips with the passage of time and generations. The guys in “Ramon Casiano” who'd rather fight than win are the same guys who respond to whittled down bumper sticker sentiments in “Made Up English Oceans.”
“Filthy & Fried” continues Cooley’s string of insightful songs about strong women. If this goes on much longer, his macho rock star shtick is going to be seriously undercut. But even as he describes “kids these days,” his take is wonderfully nuanced and leaves plenty of room for ambiguity and questions. Classic Cooley.

If DBT is the American band, then “Ever South” is the American song. Walt freakin’ Whitman for the 21st century. The genius of the song is that by being so specific it somehow becomes general. I’m nothing close to Scotch-Irish or southern and my family is a relative newcomer compared to Patterson’s ancestors. But this song is my story just like it’s his and just like it’s yours (except for the last verse; that’s a southern devil thing :) ). A nation of immigrants indeed.

The tension between the pleasant melody and dark substance of “Guns of Umpqua” is exquisite and the lyrics are like a stiletto sliding in faster than you can wipe that grin off your face. “Once They Banned Imagine” is similar in that a melody that whispers lost love or similar personal pain is actually a scathing indictment of how politicians cynically twisted the collective emotional response to 9/11 into something so mean and ugly that even wild dogs would disregard the bones.

“Imagine” reveals its secrets and complexities slowly over repeated listens. Cooley’s reach in this one and the way he connects various strains of American political foibles are astonishing and his anger is palpable. Among other topics, he touches on the failure of generational responsibility; McCarthyism in its original and more recent forms; the need to recognize the fundamentally unchanging nature of evil no matter what form it takes and to stomp on it when it raises its ugly head; the ways in which a traumatized well-meaning public can be manipulated by lying sacks of shit; cynical politicians unmoored from morality and everything but self-interest; and racism. Extra points to Cooley for his disdain for the Patriot Act. Does the intro to “Imagine” evoke “Let It Be” for anyone else? I hope so, because if that connection is really there, that would be insanely clever and satisfying.

Taken together, “Umpqua” and “When the Sun Don’t Shine” are notable for how quickly Patterson has adapted to his new surroundings and absorbed the local gestalt. How does a guy live in a place for a few short months and capture it so well twice in two totally different ways?

The rumor, which I consider more reliable than usual, is that “Kinky Hypocrite” was cut in one take. I hope it’s true because that adds some cosmically karmic rock n roll band aura to the “back to meaningfulness” themes of the album. Others have already noted the “greasy” or Stones/Faces feel of the song. Lyrically, I give the song a few demerits for attacking yet again an overly easy target, but those demerits are easily erased and surpassed by the gold stars I give Cooley for doing it so very, very well. The line about “something lacy ‘tween your business and your poly wool blend” alone is worth the price of admission.

Speaking of the band’s cosmic talents, let’s take a moment to recognize the music and the music makers whose contributions to the album should not be overlooked. There aren’t a lot of solos, jams or musical flash on these tracks. There are fills, trills, riffs and “moments” galore that make your ears perk up, but they're all in service of the songs. No other version of the band could have made this album and for that reason alone it’s as much Brad’s, Jay’s and Matt’s album as it is the singer/writers’. These guys are seriously great players. I suspect that knowing that the band will make happen whatever needs to happen behind them gives Patterson and Cooley a little extra confidence and freedom in their writing and singing. MAB made some excellent observations about the quality and professionalism of the band:

... the feel of the record [is] stunningly good. This is officially [DBT's] longest lasting lineup and it shows. Brad, Matt, and Jay are an amazing rhythm section. Tasteful is the best descriptor--it's not the notes, it's the spaces between the notes that's the true test of a great band/musician and they have taste in abundance. I read a quote from Paul McCartney in his latest Rolling Stone interview that I think perfectly describes DBT at this moment ... 'We keep getting better because we keep getting simpler.' Damn right. A 20 year career and they keep growing and getting better. Just wow.”

And a special tip of the cap to whoever thought of adding handclaps to “What It Means.” That is a non-obvious touch that lifts the song that extra little bit.

The album isn't perfect. “What It Means” seems like the obvious album closer and I’m not sure why it’s placed where it is. “When the Sun Don’t Shine” isn’t a song about depression but it kind of sounds like it is. When combined with “Baggage” which is a song about depression (and Robin Williams), it can feel like one song too many on the subject. To these ears “Imagine” and “Baggage” would both benefit by being separated in the running order and the second half of the album could use another punchier sounding track, especially one from Patterson.

But that's just nitpicking. With American Band, the Drive By Truckers aimed for the moon and reach the stars. Their righteous anger and the clarity of their moral vision are a much-needed tonic for the times and fills a void abdicated by alleged leaders of every stripe including a music industry that has abandoned any pretense of social relevance (some folkies and rappers excepted). Statement made. Let’s hope somebody other than us is listening.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Southern Efficiency wrote:On the Clear Channel point: Sure! It probably was a de facto ban. For the purposes of poetry, it's a great little one-syllable word that gets the point across.
Agreed.
Southern Efficiency wrote:it could just be any war other than WWII. Maybe that's what he means by "same old war it's always been," like it keeps happening.
yes, that's what I meant and how I interpret it, anyway.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Great write up Bubba. Thank you.

For the record: Kinky Hypocrite--not a rumor
Always go to the show

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Damn Bubba. Between you and Clams I don't think I could add much. Very well said.

Let me just say this about Ever South; I t is an absolutely remarkable piece of songwriting. Every time I listen I'm drawn to a different turn of phrase. The literary device Patterson uses where the first part of the song is almost a prequel to the second, very personal second act is stunning. It's by far my favorite song on a record of favorite songs. I posted on FB the other day that I was damn proud of these guys and I meant it. Clearly you are as well, Bean.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Yes, Damn Bubba.

The only thing I can add/argue this morning is that I have read or heard George W. Bush referred to Grabby McGrabber (McGrabberson?) before. I'll see if I can find that reference after I get some sleep.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

One thing I love about breaking down a DBT record, especially this one, is that you also get schooled in history and poli sci. Thanks for the lessons, bubba and southern efficiency.

Said it earlier but I'll say it again: Is there another rock band currently writing songs like this? If there is, I'm not aware of it. It's risky business for sure (just ask the Dixie Chicks - all they did was make one negative off-hand remark, just one sentence, about George Bush at a show in Europe). DBT is taking on half the fucking country with this record. Takes balls.
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:One thing I love about breaking down a DBT record, especially this one, is that you also get schooled in history and poli sci. Thanks for the lessons, bubba and southern efficiency.

Said it earlier but I'll say it again: Is there another rock band currently writing songs like this? If there is, I'm not aware of it. It's risky business for sure (just ask the Dixie Chicks - all they did was make one negative off-hand remark, just one sentence, about George Bush at a show in Europe). DBT is taking on half the fucking country with this record. Takes balls.
I think I wrote when What It Means was released that DBT is fortunate not to be a mainstream band, because they'd be getting killed on all the right wing channels/blogs over this. As it is, they can release an album like this with little national backlash.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

God damn it - I was holding out for the vinyl, but Bubba's post has got me all hot and bothered...plus, I am seeing them in a week...and I do like to sing along, so, if any kind soul would consider hitting me with a pm. sigh ;)
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

blessedcurse wrote:God damn it - I was holding out for the vinyl, but Bubba's post has got me all hot and bothered...plus, I am seeing them in a week...and I do like to sing along, so, if any kind soul would consider hitting me with a pm. sigh ;)
Another one bites the dust.... :(

I remain master of my DBT domain.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Duke Silver wrote:
blessedcurse wrote:God damn it - I was holding out for the vinyl, but Bubba's post has got me all hot and bothered...plus, I am seeing them in a week...and I do like to sing along, so, if any kind soul would consider hitting me with a pm. sigh ;)

I know. I wrestled briefly with my moral compass and sense of self...But I can't take my tomorrows for granted and good lord knows, a little joy can go along way. I'd like to say I'm sorry, but I ain't sorry. Besides, when the vinyl arrives, it will be like hearing for the first time. :)

I do love this place, btw
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:

Me too, brother. Stay strong

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

It's hard. So to speak.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

What's hard to fathom is they recorded this damn record in 3 days. That's a tight band.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

American Band started slow for me. I listened to it a couple of times the day I got the leak. I liked everything from the get go, but didn't feel that anything in particular absolutely blew me away. I found it to be universally enjoyable, which is probably something I can't say for a DBT album since ABAAC. I kind of walked away from it for about a month, figuring I'd return when the album dropped and I could hear the full quality version.

Last weekend though, with about 400 miles of driving spread over a couple days, I got the opportunity to hear it loud as fuck on the open road.

Holy shit. This is without question their best post-Isbell album and is arguably their most consistent offering yet. "Kinky Hypocrite", "Filthy & Fried", and "Guns of Umpqua" are all-time DBT classics. Everything else is at worst really good. The thing that impressed me is that they've taken the autumnal vibe of Patterson's most recent solo work, and Cooley-ized it. This is most noteworthy in "What It Means" where he spits licks over top of a lilting acoustic Patterson chord progression. "What It Means" is probably all-time classic material too. The lyric change was absolutely the right call as the message can't be obscured by any inaccuracies. Patterson nails the issue to the wall on this one, and the musicianship is phenomenal. I'm not sure if Jay is going to play the keys or the organ in the outro live, which is unfortunate because the whole thing works so damn well.

"Kinky Hypocrite" is everything I love about Mike Cooley in 3 minutes. Absolutely brilliant wordplay (even if he is taking down such an easy target) married to ragged Stones/Faces boogie with ripping guitar licks. This is the type of sound that drew me to the Truckers in the first place, and it's been great to see him still writing top shelf rockers in this vein ("Shit Shots Count" is my favorite song on EO).

Cue the wrath of TC, but I think I have enough time to slot this one in the DBT album rankings, so here goes:

DD
TDS
SRO
ABAAC
AB
PD
EO
BTCD
TBTD
GB
GGB

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote: I'm not sure if Jay is going to play the keys or the organ in the outro live
It's Jay. Why do you think he'll only play one? 8-)
Iowan wrote:"Kinky Hypocrite" is everything I love about Mike Cooley in 3 minutes. Absolutely brilliant wordplay (even if he is taking down such an easy target) married to ragged Stones/Faces boogie with ripping guitar licks. This is the type of sound that drew me to the Truckers in the first place, and it's been great to see him still writing top shelf rockers in this vein ("Shit Shots Count" is my favorite song on EO).
Yeah, I think this one plays an important role on the album precisely because it ties most directly into the classic DBT rockin' out sound. As I suggested w/ the lyrical references, one of the things that makes this record so satisfying is that while it obviously breaks new ground for the band, it also ties the band's career together in some ways and I'd include this as one of those ways.
Tequila Cowboy wrote:I posted on FB the other day that I was damn proud of these guys and I meant it. Clearly you are as well, Bean.
Indeed. Here's the long winded way of saying yes, I'm damn proud:
beantownbubba wrote:So the mere existence of an album this good by this band at this time is pretty damn rare and is a fantastic achievement whatever the details. Mad Respect.
beantownbubba wrote:With American Band, the Drive By Truckers aimed for the moon and reach the stars. Their righteous anger and the clarity of their moral vision are a much-needed tonic for the times and fills a void abdicated by alleged leaders of every stripe including a music industry that has abandoned any pretense of social relevance (some folkies and rappers excepted). Statement made.
I'm also holding my breath: Does this album have a chance in the marketplace? I actually think it might. Not a slam dunk or easy path by any means but at least I can imagine scenarios where the critical buzz reaches a crescendo, one of the catchy topical songs catches the ears of some important young adult tastemakers (e.g I can imagine the album getting played a lot by some musically forward tastemaker in a campaign office filled w/ folks from different parts of the country and word spreading as a song or songs get closely identified w/ the Clinton campaign or a Senatorial campaign) and the damn thing actually sells a few copies. Or at least gets downloaded a lot :(

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

beantownbubba wrote:The only question about American Band is whether the Holy Trilogy is now a Quartet. AB is without a doubt DBT’s best album in years and one of their best, period.

First, some historical perspective: How many rock musicians have made an album that was anywhere close to their best work 20 years after their first album? I’m sure I’m missing some and y’all will be happy to let me know about it, but this is what I’ve come up with:
Neil Young
Bob Dylan
Buddy Guy
Bonnie Raitt
Peter Wolf (An odd case since his later work is his best)

Arguable:
Bruce Springsteen (The Rising)
David Bowie (I don’t know his later stuff that well but many people who do say it measures up)

That’s all I got and that's some pretty serious company. It is also significant that every one of those performers is a solo artist (w/ the possible exception of Springsteen depending on how one characterizes his relationship w/ the E Streeters). The overwhelming majority of rock music “careers” especially rock band careers are over in well under 20 years and the creative portion of those careers is an even smaller window. Elvis had his big comeback only 12 years after releasing his first album and was unrecognizable and about to be dead after 20. The Beatles lasted 8 years. So the mere existence of an album this good by this band at this time is pretty damn rare and is a fantastic achievement whatever the details. Mad Respect.

This is a band out to make a statement about the world and the band’s place in it starting with the album title and cover. It ain’t bragging if you can back it up and with American Band DBT stakes its claim to being THE American band making the best, most authentic, most real, most important American music. And this album is about nothing if it’s not about America.

Hood and Cooley are at the top of their respective games throughout the album. The rhymes, wordplay, insight, depth and breadth of the writing make American Band what it is. Cooley's phrasing remains a marvel and Patterson is singing better than ever (though I'm not sure what to make of that vocal hiccup on “sitting” in “What It Means”). Both sing with great passion; these songs obviously matter to them.

One can't talk about AB without talking about its political bent. Hood and Cooley take on a remarkable breadth of difficult, complex topics and get to the heart of each in trenchant and powerful ways. The unifying theme that courses through these songs is inevitably the eternal “American dilemma” of race. Patterson and Cooley make their way through that particularly difficult and sensitive minefield with rare precision and understanding, their eyes always on the prize. From Cooley’s knowing “like in mind and like in skin” to Hood’s defiant “I guess that means that you ain’t black,” the message is “we know who you are, we know what you’re really up to and we’ve had enough.”

Patterson and Cooley have often addressed similar subjects in different ways that come together as a coherent whole and this dynamic is on full display on AB. The ties that bind, say, “Surrender Under Protest” and “Darkened Flags” or “What It Means” and “Once They Banned Imagine” seem clear. For two writers working separately to create such thematic consistency over such a challenging range of topics is itself an achievement and reinforces their messages in a compelling way. Couplets and verses leap out at the listener and virtually demand repeated listening. Of many examples, here’s one favorite:
And for six long generations it’s been told

that among the fallen was tradition

that tradition was the mission

that the wrongness of the sin was not the goal
Does the color really matter

On the face you blame for failure

On the shaming for a battle’s losing cause

If the victims and aggressors

Just remain each other’s others

And the instigators never fight their own

I had an English professor whose mantra was that literature is “news that stays news” and that's AB's ultimate triumph: It is very much of the moment but it transcends the moment. Only time will tell whether it has the timelessness required of truly great works, but I think these songs have staying power. Most of the songs have a “big picture” point of view and widely applicable insights that extend their reach beyond today’s headlines. “Surrender Under Protest” and “Darkened Flags” are inspired by specific events, but they reach back into history and forward to what’s next or what might be and are not constrained by the literalness of the facts. While “What It Means,” the most topical song on the album, addresses today’s hot topic, it's one that unfortunately has been with us for a long time and that is not going away any time soon. Patterson then takes us beyond those specific concerns to capture very eloquently the foolishness, cynicism and hypocrisy with which we as a society think about issues and the ways in which we talk past each other. Check out this summary of the duality of the American condition: “we're living in an age where limitations are forgotten, the outer edges move and dazzle us but the core is something rotten”

DBT's proud history is evident as characters from previous songs make appearances throughout, which adds to the feeling that this album is a kind of culmination. The soldier stuck in the classroom in “Guns of Umpqua” could be the guy from “That Man I Shot.” The woman in “Filthy & Fried” could be the grandchild of the parents in “Primer Coat” and that family is still coming to grips with the passage of time and generations. The guys in “Ramon Casiano” who'd rather fight than win are the same guys who respond to whittled down bumper sticker sentiments in “Made Up English Oceans.”
“Filthy & Fried” continues Cooley’s string of insightful songs about strong women. If this goes on much longer, his macho rock star shtick is going to be seriously undercut. But even as he describes “kids these days,” his take is wonderfully nuanced and leaves plenty of room for ambiguity and questions. Classic Cooley.

If DBT is the American band, then “Ever South” is the American song. Walt freakin’ Whitman for the 21st century. The genius of the song is that by being so specific it somehow becomes general. I’m nothing close to Scotch-Irish or southern and my family is a relative newcomer compared to Patterson’s ancestors. But this song is my story just like it’s his and just like it’s yours (except for the last verse; that’s a southern devil thing :) ). A nation of immigrants indeed.

The tension between the pleasant melody and dark substance of “Guns of Umpqua” is exquisite and the lyrics are like a stiletto sliding in faster than you can wipe that grin off your face. “Once They Banned Imagine” is similar in that a melody that whispers lost love or similar personal pain is actually a scathing indictment of how politicians cynically twisted the collective emotional response to 9/11 into something so mean and ugly that even wild dogs would disregard the bones.

“Imagine” reveals its secrets and complexities slowly over repeated listens. Cooley’s reach in this one and the way he connects various strains of American political foibles are astonishing and his anger is palpable. Among other topics, he touches on the failure of generational responsibility; McCarthyism in its original and more recent forms; the need to recognize the fundamentally unchanging nature of evil no matter what form it takes and to stomp on it when it raises its ugly head; the ways in which a traumatized well-meaning public can be manipulated by lying sacks of shit; cynical politicians unmoored from morality and everything but self-interest; and racism. Extra points to Cooley for his disdain for the Patriot Act. Does the intro to “Imagine” evoke “Let It Be” for anyone else? I hope so, because if that connection is really there, that would be insanely clever and satisfying.

Taken together, “Umpqua” and “When the Sun Don’t Shine” are notable for how quickly Patterson has adapted to his new surroundings and absorbed the local gestalt. How does a guy live in a place for a few short months and capture it so well twice in two totally different ways?

The rumor, which I consider more reliable than usual, is that “Kinky Hypocrite” was cut in one take. I hope it’s true because that adds some cosmically karmic rock n roll band aura to the “back to meaningfulness” themes of the album. Others have already noted the “greasy” or Stones/Faces feel of the song. Lyrically, I give the song a few demerits for attacking yet again an overly easy target, but those demerits are easily erased and surpassed by the gold stars I give Cooley for doing it so very, very well. The line about “something lacy ‘tween your business and your poly wool blend” alone is worth the price of admission.

Speaking of the band’s cosmic talents, let’s take a moment to recognize the music and the music makers whose contributions to the album should not be overlooked. There aren’t a lot of solos, jams or musical flash on these tracks. There are fills, trills, riffs and “moments” galore that make your ears perk up, but they're all in service of the songs. No other version of the band could have made this album and for that reason alone it’s as much Brad’s, Jay’s and Matt’s album as it is the singer/writers’. These guys are seriously great players. I suspect that knowing that the band will make happen whatever needs to happen behind them gives Patterson and Cooley a little extra confidence and freedom in their writing and singing. MAB made some excellent observations about the quality and professionalism of the band:

... the feel of the record [is] stunningly good. This is officially [DBT's] longest lasting lineup and it shows. Brad, Matt, and Jay are an amazing rhythm section. Tasteful is the best descriptor--it's not the notes, it's the spaces between the notes that's the true test of a great band/musician and they have taste in abundance. I read a quote from Paul McCartney in his latest Rolling Stone interview that I think perfectly describes DBT at this moment ... 'We keep getting better because we keep getting simpler.' Damn right. A 20 year career and they keep growing and getting better. Just wow.”

And a special tip of the cap to whoever thought of adding handclaps to “What It Means.” That is a non-obvious touch that lifts the song that extra little bit.

The album isn't perfect. “What It Means” seems like the obvious album closer and I’m not sure why it’s placed where it is. “When the Sun Don’t Shine” isn’t a song about depression but it kind of sounds like it is. When combined with “Baggage” which is a song about depression (and Robin Williams), it can feel like one song too many on the subject. To these ears “Imagine” and “Baggage” would both benefit by being separated in the running order and the second half of the album could use another punchier sounding track, especially one from Patterson.

But that's just nitpicking. With American Band, the Drive By Truckers aimed for the moon and reach the stars. Their righteous anger and the clarity of their moral vision are a much-needed tonic for the times and fills a void abdicated by alleged leaders of every stripe including a music industry that has abandoned any pretense of social relevance (some folkies and rappers excepted). Statement made. Let’s hope somebody other than us is listening.
You got me smilin' so big this morning, BTB. This is a masterpiece. Brilliant and beautiful. I'm tickled that me two favorite reviews thus far come out of Philly & Boston (by way of Brooklyn). I love y'all so hard.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

DebbieTrucker

Post by DebbieTrucker »

Iowan wrote:
Cue the wrath of TC, but I think I have enough time to slot this one in the DBT album rankings, so here goes:

DD
TDS
SRO
ABAAC
AB
PD
EO
BTCD
TBTD
GB
GGB

Good list here is mine. A little different for sure lol.

BTCD
GGB
AB
DD
EO
SRO
TDS
PD
TBTD
ABAAC
GB

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:"Kinky Hypocrite" is everything I love about Mike Cooley in 3 minutes. Absolutely brilliant wordplay (even if he is taking down such an easy target) married to ragged Stones/Faces boogie with ripping guitar licks. This is the type of sound that drew me to the Truckers in the first place, and it's been great to see him still writing top shelf rockers in this vein ("Shit Shots Count" is my favorite song on EO).
Yeah, I think this one plays an important role on the album precisely because it ties most directly into the classic DBT rockin' out sound. As I suggested w/ the lyrical references, one of the things that makes this record so satisfying is that while it obviously breaks new ground for the band, it also ties the band's career together in some ways and I'd include this as one of those ways.
It also adds some levity and smiles to an otherwise very serious record.
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantown, I think you hit on something about if this record can gain more popularity: it has to resonate with a younger audience. IMO, its the thing that has most held the band back from "breaking through" as it were. With obvious exceptions, the DBT fan base skews older than a lot of other bands, and though the older fans are hardcore and dedicated, the younger crowd is generally what shapes tastes and trends these days. I think the lyrical messages here have a chance to do that, its a matter of who or what exposes this album to the younger ears

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

DebbieTrucker wrote:
Good list here is mine. A little different for sure lol.

BTCD
GGB
AB
DD
EO
SRO
TDS
PD
TBTD
ABAAC
GB
I think this is quite literally the first such list I've ever seen that didn't have at least one of SRO, DD or TDS in the top three. That's neither critiicism nor snark, just an observation and a bow in your direction (interesting firsts are always worthy of acknowledgement). It show to go ya that this band is many things to many (but not enough) people and that's a very cool thing. Appreciate the love for GGB which actually is not in my top 4 but is an album I love.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:beantown, I think you hit on something about if this record can gain more popularity: it has to resonate with a younger audience. IMO, its the thing that has most held the band back from "breaking through" as it were. With obvious exceptions, the DBT fan base skews older than a lot of other bands, and though the older fans are hardcore and dedicated, the younger crowd is generally what shapes tastes and trends these days. I think the lyrical messages here have a chance to do that, its a matter of who or what exposes this album to the younger ears
Hear that shakespeare, last lawson, ew, shuffle and the rest of you too few youg'uns? It's all on you. ;)

Yes, zip, with very few exceptions, youth continues to drive popular music even if sheer numbers still favor the boomers and other older folks. I was gonna cite Adele as an exception but i think she cuts across generational lines. Isbell's audience is older than typical for a "breakthrough artisit" but w/out any data I would assume his new large audience is still at least somewhat younger than the DBT crowd. I think we had some discussion on here about how Lydia Loveless's big problem is that she has so far appealed to a too old to break her out audience.

NPR is kind of the default representative of older folks who still care about music and the albums/artists they feature are generally dissimilar to DBT. OTOH, they love DBT, so that may be another avenue to creating some buzz and lower level chart presence. But at the end of the day, if the kids don't like it and can't dance to it, you ain't goin' nowhere and it's been that way since Dick Clark was actually as young as he looked.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

beantownbubba wrote:But at the end of the day, if the kids don't like it and can't dance to it, you ain't goin' nowhere and it's been that way since Dick Clark was actually as young as he looked.
Time to bust out The Kids Are Gonna Love it?

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Iowan wrote:American Band started slow for me. I listened to it a couple of times the day I got the leak. I liked everything from the get go, but didn't feel that anything in particular absolutely blew me away. Last weekend though, with about 400 miles of driving spread over a couple days, I got the opportunity to hear it loud as fuck on the open road.
Holy shit.
Me too. Like all of us I heard the songs live or via recordings, minus KH, but nothing was blowing me away. I was really wondering if this was going to be a "meh" record for me. But then I took a trip and listened to it "loud as fuck on the open road" a bunch of times. Also had a chance to hear Patterson solo two times last month which gave me the chance to hear the guts of his songs. I'm still waiting on the vinyl because while the relatively low quality mp3's sound fine to my tired old ears, I learned from the EO leak that there are surely many hidden gems waiting to be discovered.

But now I'm all in--this is a great record. I'm in the extreme minority but EO is right at the top of my favorite Truckers' records and AB builds and expands on that album. As Brad and Matt have become more comfortable with each other, they are putting their own stamp on the sound of the band. I've always loved Brad's playing because it is so musical. Now Matt has stepped up and added his melodic bass playing to the mix. To me, this melodic approach is what makes McCartney maybe the best bass player in rock history. Never overbearing and never treating the bass as a lead instrument, but just enough that I find myself humming Matt's bass parts more and more. Matt's contributions are one the things that jumped out at me on IGTBA as well. I love it. Right now Ever South is my favorite. Everything about it is amazing.

Finally, to Clams and BTB may I say: We're Not Worthy!!! Rock on motherfuckers.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Broke down and listened to KH from the Aspen show. Love it. Feels like what Isbell was aiming for (and missed by a mile) with Super 8. Cooley and the band make that loose, Stonesy vibe sound so easy.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote: It also adds some levity and smiles to an otherwise very serious record.
Sorry, didn't see this before. I agree.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Clams wrote: It also adds some levity and smiles to an otherwise very serious record.
I'm a little disappointed it's getting thrown on a 45 instead of the album proper (though it won't matter to you digital only folks). I almost wish they'd recorded another song or two and spread this thing over 3 sides of vinyl.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

brett27295 wrote:
I'm a little disappointed it's getting thrown on a 45 instead of the album proper (though it won't matter to you digital only folks). I almost wish they'd recorded another song or two and spread this thing over 3 sides of vinyl.
Anyone know if the 7 inch is going to feature an extended version of KH?
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote: But that's just nitpicking. With American Band, the Drive By Truckers aimed for the moon and reach the stars. Their righteous anger and the clarity of their moral vision are a much-needed tonic for the times and fills a void abdicated by alleged leaders of every stripe including a music industry that has abandoned any pretense of social relevance (some folkies and rappers excepted). Statement made. Let’s hope somebody other than us is listening.
Hell of a post, beantownbubba. I'm betting AB ultimately extends the reach of the Truckers. They might transition from a barroom crowd to the NPR crowd, but, I too made that transition years ago. But, neither DBT (or me) leave that barroom crowd behind.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

I can wait. Luckily my next run of shows is in October.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.