American Band- 9/30/16

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

potatoeater

Re: American Band- 9/30/16

Post by potatoeater »

Zip City wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Am I seriously the only one holding out? What do I win?*

*this is NOT a pm request. please don't send me any links. 8-)
I've heard exactly two songs from AB, the two they've officially released
I got my two official mp3s last night after placing my vinyl preorder. After analyzing the tracks they are better quality than the leaked ones. Just thought I would throw that out there.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

gepman

Post by gepman »

Zip City wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Am I seriously the only one holding out? What do I win?*

*this is NOT a pm request. please don't send me any links. 8-)
I've heard exactly two songs from AB, the two they've officially released
Standing strong with ya, brothers...

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Upon first listen Kinky Hypocrite qualifies as brilliant because it sounds like it could be outtake from Exile.
Keep calm and have a cigar

WanderingStar

Post by WanderingStar »

Would appreciate a PM of the link if anyone has it. Bunkering down for the weekend here to wait out this storm.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

potatoeater wrote: I got my two official mp3s last night after placing my vinyl preorder. After analyzing the tracks they are better quality than the leaked ones. Just thought I would throw that out there.
The leak is 192kps the official tracks from the preorder are 320kps.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

brett27295 wrote:The leak is 192kps the official tracks from the preorder are 320kps.
It would be nice if DBT issued FLAC as an option.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Ok, I tried to wait and failed. I just can't keep reading about what is out there without asking for a taste. Got the pre-order when it came out and am definitely more of a lurker than poster around these parts. PM please? :oops:
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

WOW. Duly impressed and grinning from ear to ear. While the current political implications have permeated much of the early discussions, they don't dominate the album. This is yet another example of a variety of ear candy that also has relevance. Many varied sounds from a band that is certainly comfortable in is own skin. Hope I get red vinyl since I was early on the pre-order.
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

The Beacon

Post by The Beacon »

Sometimes, but I'll give you an example here where that's just not true. The Beacon has 26 posts or whatever but that's just his nature. He seldom posts on FB or anywhere as far I know. You know what though? The dude lives in freakin' Scotland and gets to 6-8 shows a year. While I absolutely appreciate all our frequent posters, and understand the initial sentiment about lurkers, it's pretty tough to make a blanket statement. Support for this band comes in all shapes and sizes.

Tequila Cowboy, You've just made an example of me I'm touched,
you correctly point out I seldom post here or on DBT FB page (Shit did I just mention the DBT FB page on 3DD), I enjoy both for Truckers info, shows, fans views, and keeping in touch with friends we've made along the way.

In reply to others requesting a link in a personal message to American Band here appears to make me a freeloader, now that I've almost stopped pissing myself laughing it will be in record stores in 28 days and will set me back a massive £20, another £20 on top of the money LornaR and I have spent since 2003 on tickets, cd's, vinyl, t-shirts posters, travel (trains, planes and automobiles) not forgetting copious amounts of alchohol, all of which have been worth every pound/dollar, a freebie don't make me laugh.

p.s this has been my thirty third post.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Kevidently wrote:Of all the songs, "Filthy & Fried" was the one that brings the tears to my eyes. I need to get deeper.

That's what she said.
Now it's dark.

Narducci19

Post by Narducci19 »

Another post in defense of "freeloading" lurkers. I hesitated posting this, but I felt somewhat slapped by all the freeloader comments a bit earlier on in the thread. Sorry in advance for the wall of text.

I asked for a request for a PM yesterday (which I did not receive), and I'll freely admit I don't post here often. However that doesn't necessarily mean I'm not a fan, or even a member of this community. I visit this site nearly every day, and while I don't post all that often (this will be my 34th post), that's because I'm not really a "run your mouth" kind of guy. When I'm at a show that no one is at or posting setlists for, I post setlists and impressions. When I have a original thought, then I post then too. I just don't think everyone needs to hear every thought I have. Forums need people who post in every topic, they foster community and discussion, but I'm not that guy naturally, and there are already many great one's on this website.

All that is to say, just because my posts are limited doesn't mean I'm not a fan. I've been listening to DBT since SRO, and going to concerts since 2011. I've seen close to 30 shows, purchased every album/dvd DBT has ever released (some more than once), bought numerous posters, close to 10 shirts, hats, whiskey flasks, stickers and other souvenirs, and generally love everything about this band. All that may not compare to some of the mega fans on this board, but at the least it should qualify me as a supporter of this band.

Which brings me back to asking for a leak link PM earlier. I haven't met any of you personally (though I would love to!), you don't know me. Everybody on this board loves this band and wants to support them, so I don't blame anyone here for not wanting to give out a link to link to me or to any stranger asking for one. Its understandable that you wouldn't want to inadvertently lose an album sale for the band you love. Some of these posters probably are shady. That said, to flippantly make a blanket statement that anyone who doesn't post here loads is a "freeloader" or not a big fan of DBT does insult a lot of very big DBT fans.

Okay, off the soapbox. Thanks to everyone who supports this great community, and in a month I'll join you all in enjoying DBT's latest great album.

McButton

Post by McButton »

Smitty wrote:"When the Sun Don't Shine" is one of my favorites on the album (I relate 100% to it), but my son Cooley has taken it upon himself to change the lyric to "WHERE the Sun Don't Shine", altering the meaning of the song completely, lol.
A second Cooley adding to the lyrical meaning of American Band, I love it.

Sun Don't Shine has been an early favorite of mine too, that and Darkened Flags' opening riff have been stuck in my head the most. Front to back, I'm digging the hell out of this album.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

First, my lurker comment was in jest.

Second, I love to hear opinions and stories from as many people as possible. in other words, if you love the band enough to want to hear the leak, stop by more often. Let us know your impressions after you hear it. Don't be a stranger
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

I'm into it. Maybe very into it. The Cooley tracks are great for the second straight record, and the Patterson songs are very good for what they are. My only beef is that Patterson's default writing mode over the last five years -- while good -- seems to be skewed way toward the softer sound of Heat Lightning. I miss his rockers, which haven't been frequent since The Big To-Do. I'm glad Cooley is still reliably churning out Stones-y rock to keep things moving.

I think Ramon Casiano is the best song, but I'm looking forward to hearing most of it live.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Y'all are crazy; Patterson's writing style has somewhat mellowed out (which in relation to where his life is at, is understandable, although I'm certain he's still capable) but I think it's better than ever. "Ever South" is the best song about TDOTST (the duality of the southern thing) he's written so far, "Guns of Umpqua" is as good as "the Living Bubba" or "Angels and Fuselage", "What it Means" is as important a song as any in the modern era.. etc etc etc... I could go on and on and on...

It's true there's no "Hell No I Ain't Happy" or "Lookout Mountain" and I totally get that, but I can't fathom complaining about what we are getting. "Darkened Flags" is heavy in more ways than one, though.

Of course I admit I'm more of a mellow or midtempo guy, so I'm coming at it from that perspective.

On the lurker/leak issue, I got no problem with them whatsoever but I do wish they would participate more. Not because they need to "earn" the leak (it ain't like any of us deserve it or something). I wish everyone would participate more, including myself!
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Oh yeah, don't get offended by the "y'all are crazy" part of my last post. I mean, I totally believe you are if you don't dig the new Hood songs and that's my true opinion, but I don't mean it personal.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

Smitty wrote:Y'all are crazy; Patterson's writing style has somewhat mellowed out (which in relation to where his life is at, is understandable, although I'm certain he's still capable) but I think it's better than ever. "Ever South" is the best song about TDOTST (the duality of the southern thing) he's written so far, "Guns of Umpqua" is as good as "the Living Bubba" or "Angels and Fuselage", "What it Means" is as important a song as any in the modern era.. etc etc etc... I could go on and on and on...

It's true there's no "Hell No I Ain't Happy" or "Lookout Mountain" and I totally get that, but I can't fathom complaining about what we are getting. "Darkened Flags" is heavy in more ways than one, though.

Of course I admit I'm more of a mellow or midtempo guy, so I'm coming at it from that perspective.

On the lurker/leak issue, I got no problem with them whatsoever but I do wish they would participate more. Not because they need to "earn" the leak (it ain't like any of us deserve it or something). I wish everyone would participate more, including myself!
I'm not saying they're not good, that's the important distinction -- his writing is very good. Ever South especially. I just miss him being able to go from a Hell No to a My Sweet Annette on the same album, and miss the Righteous Paths, F'in Jobs, and such.

DebbieTrucker

Post by DebbieTrucker »

Patterson's writing and Cooley's too have become more socially and consciously aware of what's going on all over the US and beyond. Before in their earlier albums their themes and topics were more geographically located to a particular area. This might be in part to Patterson's Pacific Northwest move it may not. For me his songs in particular on this album show an overall compassion for your fellow man with What it Means, Guns of U, Baggage etc. That change and growth in his songs makes this bunch my favorite. He doesn't need a rocking sound like before, the power is in the words he's using.

WanderingStar

Post by WanderingStar »

Zip City wrote:First, my lurker comment was in jest.

Second, I love to hear opinions and stories from as many people as possible. in other words, if you love the band enough to want to hear the leak, stop by more often. Let us know your impressions after you hear it. Don't be a stranger
I didn't take any offense or anything.

Coming from my perspective as a "lurker," can be a little intimidating hopping into a conversation on here sometimes. I started college in 08, started following the band shortly and like to think that I'm pretty knowledgeable after 10-15 shows and a couple of homecomings. But I come on here, and y'all have so much knowledge. I usually end up just reading and learning instead of jumping in a convo.

Not a bad thing at all, as it's been great reading and learning from folks who have been following for much longer than I have. Just saying, that's a big reason I don't post much, haha.

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

potatoeater wrote:
Kevidently wrote:Of all the songs, "Filthy & Fried" was the one that brings the tears to my eyes. I need to get deeper.
Wow, really? Guns Of Umpqua is the tear jerker for me. I can't listen to it around people really, if I do I try to take my mind elsewhere because if I listen too close I will get glassy eyed.
Yeah, it really kicks my ass no matter where I am. Had to compose myself driving to work the other day... :lol:

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The Beacon wrote:p.s this has been my thirty third post.
Narducci19 wrote:(this will be my 34th post)
One of you guys is winning. I'm not sure which one. ;-)

I'm a little sensitive over the small number of asshats who've objected to the lyrics over on the Facebook page by saying they're going to download and not pay, but that's a very small group (take that as you will, brother, and may it serve you well) and I don't see why that should get in the way of, you know, actual fans planning to buy the record doing something Patterson has said he'd most likely do in our position.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

DebbieTrucker

Post by DebbieTrucker »

What I see is even when a "lurker"(under a certain # of posts) posts something on here about what they think about the band or album it is seldom ever responded to which might explain why people don't post very much. It's like talking to yourself lol. I've been a fan of the band since Pizza Deliverance and have seen them around 10 times over the years in various places throughout the Midwest. I've bought all of the albums 3 times over with most of them. This is #12 for posts for me.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

DebbieTrucker wrote:What I see is even when a "lurker"(under a certain # of posts) posts something on here about what they think about the band or album it is seldom ever responded to which might explain why people don't post very much. It's like talking to yourself lol. I've been a fan of the band since Pizza Deliverance and have seen them around 10 times over the years in various places throughout the Midwest. I've bought all of the albums 3 times over with most of them. This is #12 for posts for me.
I talk to myself on here all the time.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

jr29 wrote:
DebbieTrucker wrote:What I see is even when a "lurker"(under a certain # of posts) posts something on here about what they think about the band or album it is seldom ever responded to which might explain why people don't post very much. It's like talking to yourself lol. I've been a fan of the band since Pizza Deliverance and have seen them around 10 times over the years in various places throughout the Midwest. I've bought all of the albums 3 times over with most of them. This is #12 for posts for me.
I talk to myself on here all the time.
Me, too. If I didn't run my mouth, I wouldn't have nothing to say.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Flea

Post by Flea »

I talk to myself all the time at home because no one else will listen to me.
Now it's dark.

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

**Deleted** Not important. Carry on.
Last edited by ndavis86 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Flea wrote:I talk to myself all the time at home because no one else will listen to me.
When you're talking to yourself, are you doing more talking or more listening?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I really hope that doesn't stop people from posting. I've got an asinine number of posts and help jonicont run the place and sometimes there are no responses to my posts. To me there are no stupid questions and no opinions not worth posting. It's not quite as active around here as it once was but with the release of American Band I hope that changes. The Other Bands forum is a great place to share bands you're into and talk about other records as well. There are a lot of us here that have known each other either online or in real life and I get that it can get a bit insular here but everyone is welcome and everyone should feel free to post any time.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

So let me get this straight...some people don't post because sometimes no one responds? So what? If you have an opinion, post it. Who gives a shit if anyone responds? I just posted my opinion and I could not care less if anyone deems it important enough to respond to.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

nowigotworry

Post by nowigotworry »

I have been seeing Drive By Truckers since I was 15 (when Decoration Day came out), I consider them to be my favorite band (at least of the last 20 years), I have seen them many times more than I have seen any other band, I have listened to their albums thousands and thousands of times...so I say this with some context:

Patterson is truly putting a damper on my enjoyment of this band.

His songs these days just all sound the same, have no power (what happened to the guitars? I thought this band was ABOUT the guitars), seem to touch on the same general topics, and often lack strong melodies...they just sound kind of tossed off, even though I get the impression that they're not.

"When the Sun Don't Shine" is probably my least favorite song that he's ever written for all of the above reasons. "Baggage" sounds like a "Grand Canyon" retread (which I personally don't find as great as many fans do). "Guns of Umpqua" has a decent melody but the words are all shoved in there haphazardly and I'm not feeling any of that emotional pull that some are discussing.

Cooley is still great, but the songs on this one don't feel quite as raw as they did on English Oceans.

I hate to sit here and compare the new stuff to "the good old days" but there's just something severely lacking compared to the 2003-2010(ish) era of the band. Even the shows don't rock me quite as hard as they used to. I know that people age and things change blah blah blah, but I'm just not feeling any of this the way I used to.

I'm not trying to cause a controversy...just simply stating what I know has been right under the surface for me for several years and what an initial listen of the new album brought bubbling over.