American Band- 9/30/16

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: American Band- 9/30/16

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Jonicont wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Why does it matter how many posts someone has that asks for a copy of the album? Perhaps the leak itself doesn't even come from someone that's a member of this board. If this is their first post do they need to pass some sort of initiation first? The most important thing is that everyone that asks for a copy of the album in advance goes out and actually purchases it on the day of release. Of course, there's no way to be sure that happens but I'd sure like to think it does.
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nuthin to say. Have to agree with Kudzu. Don't hate on the lurkers. There are a lot of them out there who buy as much merch and go to as many shows as they can
100% agree.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

The red vinyl is excluvsive to the DBT Store and indie record stores. If you preordered from the DBT store you should be guranteed to get the red vinyl. If you go into an indie record store on the day (or probably week of release) you should be able to purchase the red vinyl. If however you preorderd from somewhere like Amazon etc., you will get a copy of the standard black vinyl release.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Jonicont wrote: Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nuthin to say. Have to agree with Kudzu. Don't hate on the lurkers. There are a lot of them out there who buy as much merch and go to as many shows as they can
It should also be noted that some with thousands of posts have nothing to say at all...just peruse the "Everything Else" forum for a taste of that.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:I was just poking fun at the folks who don't seem to have much use for our discussion until there's something tangible to gain. Kinda like the long lost cousins who show up for the reading of the will :lol:
Bingo. It just comes off like a "I have no use for you people unless you have what I want" sort of thing.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

brett27295 wrote:
Jonicont wrote: Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nuthin to say. Have to agree with Kudzu. Don't hate on the lurkers. There are a lot of them out there who buy as much merch and go to as many shows as they can
It should also be noted that some with thousands of posts have nothing to say at all...just peruse the "Everything Else" forum for a taste of that.

Hey, I resemble that remark
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:I was just poking fun at the folks who don't seem to have much use for our discussion until there's something tangible to gain. Kinda like the long lost cousins who show up for the reading of the will :lol:
Bingo. It just comes off like a "I have no use for you people unless you have what I want" sort of thing.
Sometimes, but I'll give you an example here where that's just not true. The Beacon has 26 posts or whatever but that's just his nature. He seldom posts on FB or anywhere as far I know. You know what though? The dude lives in freakin' Scotland and gets to 6-8 shows a year. While I absolutely appreciate all our frequent posters, and understand the initial sentiment about lurkers, it's pretty tough to make a blanket statement. Support for this band comes in all shapes and sizes.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Sometimes, but I'll give you an example here where that's just not true. The Beacon has 26 posts or whatever but that's just his nature. He seldom posts on FB or anywhere as far I know. You know what though? The dude lives in freakin' Scotland and gets to 6-8 shows a year. While I absolutely appreciate all our frequent posters, and understand the initial sentiment about lurkers, it's pretty tough to make a blanket statement. Support for this band comes in all shapes and sizes.
I also have a friend that's a member of this board but she never posts here. However, she does travel all over to see DBT's, though she doesn't live in Scotland. She also buys tons of merch, turns others on to DBT's, etc.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm sure all the limited post count/lurkers are great fans. It just looks bad to only sign in when there's something free available, especially when said free thing is a leak of a yet-to-be-released album

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:I'm sure all the limited post count/lurkers are great fans. It just looks bad to only sign in when there's something free available, especially when said free thing is a leak of a yet-to-be-released album
This. I'm not saying they're less of a DBT fan than anyone here. Oftentimes they're bigger fans.

It just rubs me a little wrong to not participate in this community (3DD specifically, not DBT fan hood) unless it's to ask for a leaked album. Like Zip said, it's like the long lost cousin showing up at the will reading. He's probably a good dude, who leads a busy life, but I can't blame the family for being a little annoyed when his only involvement is for direct benefit.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Zip City wrote:I'm sure all the limited post count/lurkers are great fans. It just looks bad to only sign in when there's something free available, especially when said free thing is a leak of a yet-to-be-released album
I agree. That is how it looks. Im not trying to say these people are any less fans than anyone else but it is a pattern that can be seen by looking back on some of these members' past posts. I am all for sharing. Sometimes I support it sometimes I rely on it for myself. I just ask for their word that they will keep it private and in the end do the right thing and support the Truckers with actual purchases.

On a side note I always order my stuff directly from the DBTs store or at the shows. The only exception is when I purchased The Secret To A Happy Ending. I bought it on iTunes purely because I wanted it quick and also didn't have quite enough extra money to buy the real DVD at the time.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

So, uh....this album, right guys?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

StormandStatic wrote:So, uh....this album, right guys?
Indeed. Once They Banned Imagine might have the best chorus Cooley has written. Gorgeous and so true.

jh13

Post by jh13 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Indeed. Once They Banned Imagine might have the best chorus Cooley has written. Gorgeous and so true.
That's the power of music right there, as I strongly feel Once They Banned Imagine is the worst song on the album.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
I like it but I've yet to catch the full drift of this song. Anyone want to enlighten me?
If you don't run you rust

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

"When the Sun Don't Shine" is one of my favorites on the album (I relate 100% to it), but my son Cooley has taken it upon himself to change the lyric to "WHERE the Sun Don't Shine", altering the meaning of the song completely, lol.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
I like it but I've yet to catch the full drift of this song. Anyone want to enlighten me?
Right after 9/11 radio stations across the country, including all Clear Channel stations, banned the song as conservative groups felt it was innapropriate at the time. After that a bill kicked around Congress for years even as recently as 2013. http://wadiyan.com/2013/03/27/u-s-senat ... s-imagine/

More than 40 years after its conception, John Lennons’s classic track ‘Imagine’ is still stirring nationwide controversy. In the ongoing senate session, the republican candidate from Texas Senator Lee Tiralo argued that Lennon’s magnum opus has ‘inflammatory lyrics’ with a potential to ‘stir up major political conflicts’ particularly in the strife prone Middle East.

“The lines, Imagine there’s no countries, would incite unnecessary tension in the already volatile Israel-palestine zone.” He adds, “the opening lines Imagine there’s no heaven, are outrightly, impudently blasphemous.” According to the senator, “this is just another example of Lennon’s extremely subtle contradictory style: as if heaven were a product of imagination instead of being a solid fundamental reality.”

The National Rifle Association has hailed this bill. “We have been complaining since years about Lennon’s anti-freedom stance,” says Larry Prattle, chief of the NRA. “The rifle is the emblem of a free man. Lennon’s lines nothing to kill or die for, disregard American citizens’ right to self-defence.”

The Wall Street also welcomed this bill as an important step in a continuing war against anti-capitalist propaganda. “Who would want a world without possessions?” says media mogul and noted philanthropist Donald Trump referring to the song lyrics Imagine no possessions. “Possessions are what define us,” agrees fifth avenue designer Staccoci, ‘specially clothes.’ Stacocci had already launched a blog on the all time worst-dressed rock stars and “John Lennon and Yoko, with their flowing tresses and white pyjamas” definitely take first place.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Okay now help me apply that to cooley's lyrics. Please.
If you don't run you rust

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:Okay now help me apply that to cooley's lyrics. Please.
"they" took the unity and, umm, idealism isn't the right word, whatever and perverted it into an us against "them" thing. I think he's tying the post 9/11 policies (patriot act) and propaganda to the semi militarized police and police abuses today, things that aren't obviously connected. The blacklisting of songs like Imagine is symbolic of it all.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

To me it's just the weariness that comes with fighting these same ideological fights over and over and over.

all the way back we're still fightin' the wars from the grave
complete with record burning and threatening and spurning and the crime of getting blood on the page

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
To me it's just the weariness that comes with fighting these same ideological fights over and over and over.

complete with record burning and threatening and spurning and the crime of getting blood on the page
For some reason, I immediately thought of "It's Only Rock and Roll" when I heard this lyric. Not a perfect analogy of course, but a similar sentiment.
If I could dig down deep in my heart
Feelings would flood on the page
Would it satisfy ya, would it slide on by ya
Would ya think the boy's insane? He's insane
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

"Weary" and "exasperated" are the terms I use to describe their tone on this one. More than pointed rage it's a sense of "why the fuck do we still have to have this same fucking conversation?"

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:"Weary" and "exasperated" are the terms I use to describe their tone on this one. More than pointed rage it's a sense of "why the fuck do we still have to have this same fucking conversation?"
Yes, exactly. I feel this record alternates between three primary emotions; weariness, rage and steadfast resolution to not succumb to either.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:After that a bill kicked around Congress for years even as recently as 2013. http://wadiyan.com/2013/03/27/u-s-senat ... s-imagine/
It's getting harder and harder to tell reality from satire, isn't it? But this one is satire.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:After that a bill kicked around Congress for years even as recently as 2013. http://wadiyan.com/2013/03/27/u-s-senat ... s-imagine/
It's getting harder and harder to tell reality from satire, isn't it? But this one is satire.
My bad. The argument was real though and there was a bill that kicked around banning it from public schools.

Your point is well taken though. In an era where Rudy Guliani wears a hat that says "Make Mexico Great Again Also" that line between satire an reality is crossed too often.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Once They Banned Imagine might be my favorite track on this album. The topics it touches on also relate to some of the lines in Ramon Casiano.

such as:
there's hardly been a menace since
that ain't amassing at the border
from chinese troops to terrorists
Smitty is right on with what I take from this song, a bit of which I posted along with the lyrics in the interpretations thread.

So beyond the literal reference to the "banning" of certain songs post 9/11 this song goes on to speak about the wars we fight in. Wars that WE start and use events such as 9/11 as well as others to get the American people to fall in line and support. In addition to building mass public support of going to war with nations that we have no legitimate reason to do so the people "pulling the strings" also convince the public to allow their privacy and constitutional rights to be violated. Whether it be in the form of no-knock searches, holding persons without probable cause, intelligence agencies using malicious software to infiltrate and spy on organizations, asking corporations to install backdoors in software to circumvent encryption the list goes on and on. So often I hear people say that these things don't bother them because they have nothing to hide. That is a shit statement and shows ignorance.

While these tactics have definitely been accelerated since 9/11 our government has been using fear and propaganda for decades to get the American people to believe their biggest enemy is anyone other than the government. And IS anyone that doesn't look like them or believe like them.

You can call me a conspiracy theorist or just crazy but I do not believe the official story of 9/11. I do believe our government as well as the Saudi Arabian and Israeli government are the masterminds of that tragedy all of whom were financed and backed by central banking cartels. You know, the ones who really pull the strings, fund both sides of every war, so on and so forth. 9/11 was a launch point for these wars and more to come.

Once They Banned Imagine is a strong song and even if Cooley's beliefs don't go as far as mine it definitely speaks about the exploitation of the events of 9/11 for the purpose of going to war where we had no business going and systematically legalizing violations of our constitutional rights.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Of all the songs, "Filthy & Fried" was the one that brings the tears to my eyes. I need to get deeper.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Am I seriously the only one holding out? What do I win?*

*this is NOT a pm request. please don't send me any links. 8-)
ain't no static on the gospel radio

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Kevidently wrote:Of all the songs, "Filthy & Fried" was the one that brings the tears to my eyes. I need to get deeper.
Wow, really? Guns Of Umpqua is the tear jerker for me. I can't listen to it around people really, if I do I try to take my mind elsewhere because if I listen too close I will get glassy eyed.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:Am I seriously the only one holding out? What do I win?*

*this is NOT a pm request. please don't send me any links. 8-)
I've heard exactly two songs from AB, the two they've officially released