American Band- 9/30/16

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: American Band- 9/30/16

Post by Iowan »

"Kinky Hypocrite" might be my favorite track on the album, and an all-time DBT classic.

The zenith of the DBT thing for me is when Cooley is channeling the Stones/Faces on top of brilliant and incisive lyrics. Kinky is nothing, if not exactly that.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

TW_2.0 wrote:I'll take a PM with a link if anyone has it. Thx
Still searching to find a virus free site online with the leak. If anyone wants to help a brother out...
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I can wait until 9/30 to hear the album but live at red Rocks, Kinky Hypocrite was the new tune that really popped in a "hell yeah, this is what I love about the Truckers" kind of way. Not to knock any of the other songs but they're songs where you need to focus on the lyrics. This one just rocks.

Or, what Tequila Cowboy said.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

Listened to this front to back a couple of times on the way to Red Rocks last night and the way back this morning. Really good stuff. Ramon Casiano, Guns of Umpqua, Once They Banned Imagine, and Baggage are initial stand outs for me, with a few others not far behind. Lyrically Kinky Hypocrite is fantastic, but it doesn't do a lot for me musically. All of this is of course subject to change down the road. I think all of the songs complement each other very well, and while initially I was bummed that Tough To Let Go didn't make the cut, I'm not sure how it would have fit in here.

Narducci19

Post by Narducci19 »

If anyone would be so kind as to PM me a link I'd be greatly appreciative... Can't take hearing about it without hearing it for another month. It goes without saying that I'll be buying it when it releases. I have bought every one of their studio albums, live albums and DVDs. Heck, I have three copies of English oceans, one I bought on release day, one I bought from an indie record store in St. Louis because it came with a ticket to an exclusive acoustic performance by the band prior to their show, and then the deluxe version for the live dvd and bonus tracks... I might have a problem :lol:

jh13

Post by jh13 »

This is a pretty great album. Definitely my favorite batch of Hood songs in years and probably the first album ever where I've preferred his songs to Cooley's overall. Not that I don't mostly love the Cooley songs on here. Right now, only Kinky Hypocrite & Once they Banned Imagine aren't really doing much for me. I also don't totally love Ever South, but find myself drawn to it a bit, probably since I heard Patterson play it a couple weeks back at Eddie's Attic.

This is all after maybe five listens. I'm sure my opinion will change over time, as it always does, but right now it feels like their most consistent album since The Dirty South.

The Beacon

Post by The Beacon »

Anyone, feel free to PM me a link to A.B, cheers ;)

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

This thread is like a bizarre variation on Fight Club. We don't talk about the leak because there isn't a leaked version of the album out there. But if there was such a thing, it would get shared it off the board so everyone can discuss it on the board.

Not knocking anyone asking, I did the same thing for English Oceans. It's just funny to read.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

delvis

Post by delvis »

anybody able to PM this one over to me? Much appreciated.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Every album, all the members with 10 posts show up asking for leaks, never to be heard from again
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

delvis

Post by delvis »

i'm really sorry i want to listen to this record.
Last edited by delvis on Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Zip City wrote:Every album, all the members with 10 posts show up asking for leaks, never to be heard from again
FINALLY! Someone said what I have been thinking! I made this just for this thread.

I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

paulc

Post by paulc »

I'd love a PM .....

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

From Facebook:

Red, red, #vinyl. American Band in red vinyl hot off the presses. Limited availability. Pre-orders moving fast. Snag yours soon: http://bit.ly/28JFrQO

BEAUTIFUL! :o
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

potatoeater wrote:From Facebook:

Red, red, #vinyl. American Band in red vinyl hot off the presses. Limited availability. Pre-orders moving fast. Snag yours soon: http://bit.ly/28JFrQO

BEAUTIFUL! :o
Preordered from DBT website a while back. Looking forward to Thanksgiving delivery!!! :D
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Unfortunately I just now placed my order. I just didn't have the extra funds until recently. I hope I get the red but if not that is OK. I am just proud to support the Truckers. Can't wait to see them in Atlanta!!!

McButton

Post by McButton »

potatoeater wrote:Unfortunately I just now placed my order. I just didn't have the extra funds until recently. I hope I get the red but if not that is OK. I am just proud to support the Truckers. Can't wait to see them in Atlanta!!!
Agreed, I'll be happy to support the Truckers either way, but oh man, that red vinyl looks awesome. I'm hoping to snag a red one from my local indie shop as mentioned in the preorder release announcement. By the way, I know Twist and Shout does online and phone orders, so I'll report back on the 30th in regards to if they have red vinyl and if so, the quantities they have in store.

Update: I went ahead called Twist and Shout here in Denver and while they couldn't talk numbers, they did confirm that they will be getting the red vinyl.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Thanks for the info mcButton, I'll be sure to head there on the 30th, that record is very cool looking.

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

I think that "KH" has a great premise, some good lyrics, but musically it falls flat. It's stonesy but it a totally turgid way, it doesn't pick up any energy like "Shit Shots Count" or "Ramon Casiano," maybe Cooley's best song in a long time.

Regardless, can't wait to listen to this more.

Tha Criddler

Post by Tha Criddler »

Zip City wrote:Every album, all the members with 10 posts show up asking for leaks, never to be heard from again
I kind of fit into this category (though I was never looking for the album). I would post more but every time I share an opinion on this forum a bunch of people tell me how wrong I am and I go back to creeping and never posting anything. I've been on message boards since they were invented so I know how things go.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Tha Criddler wrote: I kind of fit into this category (though I was never looking for the album). I would post more but every time I share an opinion on this forum a bunch of people tell me how wrong I am and I go back to creeping and never posting anything. I've been on message boards since they were invented so I know how things go.
You're so wrong.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

brett27295 wrote:
Tha Criddler wrote: I kind of fit into this category (though I was never looking for the album). I would post more but every time I share an opinion on this forum a bunch of people tell me how wrong I am and I go back to creeping and never posting anything. I've been on message boards since they were invented so I know how things go.
You're so wrong.
:lol: It does take thick skin sometimes to hang here. At least you get responses Criddler. I think about 93% of my posts are completely ignored. I don't let it stop me. Fuck it dude!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

There's a leak?!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tha Criddler wrote:
I kind of fit into this category (though I was never looking for the album). I would post more but every time I share an opinion on this forum a bunch of people tell me how wrong I am and I go back to creeping and never posting anything. I've been on message boards since they were invented so I know how things go.
If you ask 4 people on here the same question, you'll get 5 different answers, and that's a positive thing ImO.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

DebbieTrucker

Post by DebbieTrucker »

The new batch of songs are definitely a statement maker for the band and I mean that in the best possible way. There isn't a bad one in the group. Goes without saying What It Means is epic. Other standouts to me are Kinky Hypocrite and Once They Banned Imagine. I really loved GGB and EO before this one. This album to me is a very equal level of brilliance in songwriting by both Hood and Cooley. If this group of songs is any indicator of what the future holds for DBT they are just starting to hit their stride. There is such a maturity and social awareness with these songs. Couldn't be more excited to get out to a rock show in the near future in my area.

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

I'll be the guy with (now) 14 posts saying that I'm in the camp that prefers to wait for the official release on vinyl and then play that fucker LOUD and then put on a set of cans and play it loud again. 28 days, my patient brethren and sistren!

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

Iowan wrote:"Kinky Hypocrite" might be my favorite track on the album, and an all-time DBT classic.

The zenith of the DBT thing for me is when Cooley is channeling the Stones/Faces on top of brilliant and incisive lyrics. Kinky is nothing, if not exactly that.
I've only heard it twice (once in Aspen, once at Red Rocks), and I find myself sort of singing along to it in my head a lot, but I find it always morphs melodically into "Super 8" because I don't quite have it down yet. Maybe that's reason enough to revisit "Super 8," which never really clicked for me when Southeastern was in heavy rotation.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Why does it matter how many posts someone has that asks for a copy of the album? Perhaps the leak itself doesn't even come from someone that's a member of this board. If this is their first post do they need to pass some sort of initiation first? The most important thing is that everyone that asks for a copy of the album in advance goes out and actually purchases it on the day of release. Of course, there's no way to be sure that happens but I'd sure like to think it does.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Why does it matter how many posts someone has that asks for a copy of the album? Perhaps the leak itself doesn't even come from someone that's a member of this board. If this is their first post do they need to pass some sort of initiation first? The most important thing is that everyone that asks for a copy of the album in advance goes out and actually purchases it on the day of release. Of course, there's no way to be sure that happens but I'd sure like to think it does.
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nuthin to say. Have to agree with Kudzu. Don't hate on the lurkers. There are a lot of them out there who buy as much merch and go to as many shows as they can
Always go to the show

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I was just poking fun at the folks who don't seem to have much use for our discussion until there's something tangible to gain. Kinda like the long lost cousins who show up for the reading of the will :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever