American Band- 9/30/16

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

coornelius

Re: American Band- 9/30/16

Post by coornelius »

Studio What It Means is on streaming services and in your email if you preordered.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

coornelius wrote:Studio What It Means is on streaming services and in your email if you preordered.
It's also on YouTube as a lyric video and a live performance video from Electric Lady studios.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

I am really diggin the background of the lyric video. As far as the album cover picture goes...does anyone know where that picture was taken, exactly? A friend of mine recently vacationed in Seattle and other parts of the PNW and took a picture of a flag pole that looks very much like the one from the cover.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

Tha Criddler

Post by Tha Criddler »

Has this album leaked?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tha Criddler wrote:Has this album leaked?
Probably.

All the previous DBT albums in the leaking age had leaked by now.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
Probably.

It's possible, but I usually hear about it pretty soon after it happens, and I'm far from the "in the know" crowd around here
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tha Criddler

Post by Tha Criddler »

Apparently it leaked a week ago.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Probably.

It's possible, but I usually hear about it pretty soon after it happens, and I'm far from the "in the know" crowd around here
How widespread does something have to be to be considered leaked?

Usually there's a point, by now in the pre-release cycle, where people have been sitting on a leak for a week or two not discussing it, and someone admits that they have it, and pretty soon the whole board has it. I have yet to see the kind of discussion that leads me to believe that we're at that point now, but it's hard to believe that in this day and age it hasn't circulated at least a little past the band's immediate circle.

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Media copies went out last week, so the leak could be happening anytime now. It ain't coming from me though. :mrgreen:

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I slightly regretted getting the leak beforehand last time--from someone not on the board, I might add--and think I might just dodge it this time, at least until after I've made that Kansas City show on 9/23. I'm curious to hear one more show before I hear the record.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I've already heard all the songs except for Kinky Hypocrite, so I think I can wait another month.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I saw tapers at the Red Rocks show which had a bunch of new stuff, including Kinky Hypocrite, but have not seen that show posted yet.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Just a friendly reminder on leaks, and I'll quote Springsteen on this, "do what you like but don't do it here" :D
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Unless I give in if it's featured on NPR's First Listen series or something, I'll wait to listen to the entire album for the first time on the day of release. That not meant to be preachy, nor am I opposed to anyone that listens to leaks (as I gather most will also purchase the record), it's just how I roll. Something about listening ahead of time tends to spoil that first spin for me.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Just a friendly reminder on leaks, and I'll quote Springsteen on this, "do what you like but don't do it here" :D
Good thing the mods don't monitor PM's :o ;) 8-)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Unless I give in if it's featured on NPR's First Listen series or something, I'll wait to listen to the entire album for the first time on the day of release. That not meant to be preachy, nor am I opposed to anyone that listens to leaks (as I gather most will also purchase the record), it's just how I roll. Something about listening ahead of time tends to spoil that first spin for me.
That's the fun part about getting a leak, for me. Where release day has the speculation and anticipation, when you get a leak, it just kind of drops in your lap out of nowhere. It's like you know there's a Christmas coming, but it's just this day way out in the future and then - BAM - it comes out of the blue.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Heard from a number of folks yesterday that the record has leaked. Looks like it's out there. You folks know the drill here. However, might as well start the discussion
Always go to the show

Tha Criddler

Post by Tha Criddler »

Anyone think that What it means should have been the last song? Baggage just kind of limps out.

Kudzu Guillotine

Iowan wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Unless I give in if it's featured on NPR's First Listen series or something, I'll wait to listen to the entire album for the first time on the day of release. That not meant to be preachy, nor am I opposed to anyone that listens to leaks (as I gather most will also purchase the record), it's just how I roll. Something about listening ahead of time tends to spoil that first spin for me.
That's the fun part about getting a leak, for me. Where release day has the speculation and anticipation, when you get a leak, it just kind of drops in your lap out of nowhere. It's like you know there's a Christmas coming, but it's just this day way out in the future and then - BAM - it comes out of the blue.
I prefer the hunt, the trip to the record store, etc. Listening to it ahead of time detracts from that experience for me.

jh13

Post by jh13 »

Iowan wrote:

That's exactly how I look at it. I know I've pre-ordered it and will hear it on the release date, but when it comes out of the blue it makes an ordinary day better.

That said, I haven't found the album on any of my typical go-to sites, but if it's out there and someone wants to PM me a link, I'd love to hear it.

jh13

Post by jh13 »

Also, I'm not too surprised that this one hasn't leaked as quickly as the last few. I've noticed a lot more albums haven't been leaking lately. A few years ago, everything was available a month or so before release and lately I'm noticing a lot more albums that don't really leak until either they're streamed by the band, or hit the record store the week of release. Hell, the new Wilco is out next Friday and it still hasn't leaked yet.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tha Criddler wrote:Anyone think that What it means should have been the last song? Baggage just kind of limps out.

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

Jonicont wrote:Heard from a number of folks yesterday that the record has leaked. Looks like it's out there. You folks know the drill here. However, might as well start the discussion
I'd love to hear it also if someone wants to send me a PM. The new songs sounded great in Aspen.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I'll take a PM with a link if anyone has it. Thx
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Iowan wrote:
Tha Criddler wrote:Anyone think that What it means should have been the last song? Baggage just kind of limps out.

Man, suggest you listen to Baggage a few more times Criddler. With headphones on. I think it's the perfect closer. Limp it does not.

My only question about the tracking was #2, DFOTCOD. Seemed a little out of place at first, but its placement is growing on me.

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

ramonz wrote:I think it's the perfect closer. Limp it does not.
Agreed. Baggage is awesome.
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Jonicont wrote:Heard from a number of folks yesterday that the record has leaked. Looks like it's out there. You folks know the drill here. However, might as well start the discussion
If I had heard it and if I'd had a little while to really digest it I would probably say that I absolutely, positively love it. I like it way more than EO and I like it more than GGB and The Big To Do. Guns of Umpqua is the biggest gut punch and most powerful song since Two Daughters and arguably my favorite track on the album. In my opinion this is Cooley's album though. Love his contributions. MP3s are nice but I can't wait until my preordered vinyl arrives. I think this album is arguably the best overall work they've done in a decade. Oddly others I've discussed this with don't seem to like it as much as I do. As always your mileage may vary.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

I guess I can't complain about the DBT discussion being slow on here anymore. This thread is blowing up!

So does Ramon Casiano remind anyone of the Foo Fighters? That guitar at the beginning...sounds a lot like the Foo Fighters' style.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

brett27295 wrote:I think this album is arguably the best overall work they've done in a decade.
I agree one hun, but I was gushing like a crazy person about EO too and proclaiming the same a few years ago. Love EO, but think this one will hold up a bit better over time. I also want to thank Cooley for not storing his nuts for the winter ("the solo album"). Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am sure that dynamic can be super-weird for a band. PH seems to have always been generous in that regard. Jason maybe not as much, but not a big enough sample size to really say I guess.

This is a fantastic album. It's hard to believe that these guys can keep putting out such absurdly good work. I hope the press the album's gotten so far helps sales, and importantly, starts a few conversations.

Cannot frickin' wait for Richmond! :D

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

brett27295 wrote:
If I had heard it and if I'd had a little while to really digest it I would probably say that I absolutely, positively love it. I like it way more than EO and I like it more than GGB and The Big To Do. Guns of Umpqua is the biggest gut punch and most powerful song since Two Daughters and arguably my favorite track on the album. In my opinion this is Cooley's album though. Love his contributions. MP3s are nice but I can't wait until my preordered vinyl arrives. I think this album is arguably the best overall work they've done in a decade. Oddly others I've discussed this with don't seem to like it as much as I do. As always your mileage may vary.
I completely agree with you! It's a masterpiece and I love it!