American Band- 9/30/16

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dime in the gutter

Re: American Band- 9/30/16

Post by dime in the gutter »

i do all my fish frying at the deer camp under an autographed nra/charlton heston "from my cold dead hands" pen and ink sketch.

shit. damn near every piece of printed paper there has an nra add on it. except for all the paperbacks. good reading in those.

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

beantownbubba wrote: I went to pick up our dog at the boarding place today and the woman behind the counter was wearing a t shirt that said only "NRA" and nothing else in not very big letters (but they were yellow on dark blue - it was more design than a desire to whisper). My immediate thought was that it can't be THE NRA, there must be some other organization w/ the same initials (around here I immediately tried thinking of colleges and universities) and boy, must they be annoyed w/ the way that's turned out. But sure enough when the woman turned around, the design was an American flag made out of ammunition and the "national rifle association" was spelled out underneath. I was truly surprised. I've seen typical gun and NRA related bumper stickers on plenty of cars, but I'm pretty sure that's the first pro-NRA tshirt I've ever seen. I suspect the experience of many readers of this thread is quite different :lol: I wanted to ask her what kind of reactions, if any, she had been getting, but I couldn't figure out a way to do that w/out entering into dangerous waters so I didn't say anything (which I suspect is the most common reaction anyway). I'm not going to draw any grand lessons or inferences from one sighting, but I do think it was unusual enough to mention.
it's unusual in mass.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wolf wrote:it's unusual in mass.
Right.
beantownbubba wrote: I suspect the experience of many readers of this thread is quite different :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

beantownbubba wrote:Ramonz, do you have a new source or something?

That would be fun, wouldn't it? No, just hunches and observations from seeing this band in so many forms and so many circumstances over the years. Just one man's opinion, which could be right at times and will be wrong at times (throw in clock "right twice a day" analogy) - only the band really knows.

Remember in the 60's when people said "When the guitar kicks in, I'm not thinkin' 'bout Nixon" (they didn't, but that's pretty good 8-) ) To me, the songs on this album are so good that they can confidently carry the weight of the message. While they feel appropriately urgent, they don't feel rushed. There are a couple of EO tunes (an album I like immensely) that I'm not sure carry the heavy messages quite as well. If these AB songs didn't pass the kicks in/Nixon test with flying colors, I'd have a whole lot less enthusiasm for the new album. I think the band is smart enough (and feels a certain sense of responsibility) to make sure that if they go all-in like they've done, the songs better stand up. Fuck up that recipe and it's a shit show, both creatively and financially - deliver and you've hit a home run.
beantownbubba wrote:I think that by the fall tour all of the fans who hung around (which eventually will be 99% of their existing audience) will be glad they did.
I agree. A cynic would say (and maybe they're saying on FB) that's the calculation the band has made: the long-time fans that might be put off by the blatant politics will still come back, but DBT will get new fans with AB. I hope that's not what is in their heads, and don't think it is. But let's not forget that there is a business aspect to nearly anything we (all) do - if you're not thinking about that piece at times, especially if you have a 30 year investment to nurture, I'm not sure you're seeing the big pic.

Wolf, you said "uncomfortable?" I can only speak for myself, but DBT changed part of me with the BLM sign on stage. I don't know a ton about the movement, and like I mentioned before, there are some assholes within it that don't help the cause. My initial reaction was surprise and "well, they've gone all-in now on the politics thing and I hope I can get through this era of DBT." To me, at the time, I was hesitant to embrace (I guess accept is a more accurate word) the BLM slogan. Of course Black Lives Matter....but ALL lives matter (this coming from someone who spent 5 tough/amazing years as a Big Brother, so I have a *small* amount of cred). To me, at the time, saying BLM was the same as saying WLM. When the goal is have "the other side" hear you out, starting with an exclusive slogan seemed to be a horrible idea. Throw in some of the assholes taking advantage of the situation to be assholes, then.....yes....I was uncomfortable with DBT having that sign on the stage. But what I didn't realize until my nephew texted me his own surprise, was that the band was creating a conversation. A start. Why not DBT? I'm much more likely to listen to them than a talking head on tv with a questionable past and tangled motives. So as I thought about it more, I changed. Yes BLM, and WLM, and ALL lives matter.....but black lives certainly seem more disposable today - what a horrible word and a horrible reality. You can debate the causes all day long, but the truth is black lives seem less valuable than white lives. So, to me, the band I love used its place (it's responsibility?) to change how I see the world. Of course ALL lives matter, but goddamnit, Black Lives must Matter more than they do today. There are really no shades of grey about that. DBT made me uncomfortable, made me think, and made me a better person. Now it's up to me (us) to continue the conversation if we agree....

The band should go all-in in another way. Logistical challenges, for sure, but why not have a debate before the shows? Get some sort of intelligent/fair person (local teacher, professor, business leader, Bubba) to moderate. Let a few fans express their views in a (hopefully) civil manner and create a CONVERSATION before each show. Who knows what kind of energy that would create - imagine the release when Lookout Mountain kicks in! My guess is that when I'm standing on the rail next to the guy who intelligently argued an opinion I may not agree with pre-show, I'll get enormous pleasure looking over and watching his face melt.

Flea

Post by Flea »

brett27295 wrote: Ramonz is my hero. It's just a damn shame he hangs out with that Flea character...
A perfect example of how proximity can heighten a reputation!
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

BTW, where's the pickle lighter at this very moment?

Flea

Post by Flea »

That's a damn fine question.
Now it's dark.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

beantownbubba wrote:BTW, where's the pickle lighter at this very moment?
In a very safe place. It will be at Homecoming 2017 and photo opportunities will be available to paying customers.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:
In a very safe place. It will be at Homecoming 2017 and photo opportunities will be available to paying customers.
Sounds like a hostage situation to me.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
Sounds like a hostage situation to me.
The SWAT team is drilling as we speak. It took a while to get the drawings for Brett's house but all systems are now go.

njMark

Post by njMark »

I loved every bit of the press release, why mince words? The band has something to say and they did so. Why should they have to worry about stepping on anyone's toes when Trump, the nra, and a large amount of their supporters sure don't. This country is getting scary, we are uncomfortably close to electing an, I feel, out and out lunatic just because he's made hate and racism socially acceptable for people who already were and just needed someone to make it ok. Call me what you will, I probably think you're an asshole or an idiot too. Maybe the bands words bother certain people because deep down they know they're wrong, nobody likes having their well crafted and finely honed illusions shattered.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Couple of things

First, I'm really looking forward to the new record. I listened to SUP a couple of times at the weekend and the main thing I noticed is that the vocals are really distinct, which I think is something they also did on IGTBA. Given the message the band are trying to put out I guess the whole record is going to be like this.

Secondly, the press release. Given the choices you guys are facing in November I think the band are trying to provoke people into actually thinking about these things rather than just sleep walking into a clusterfuck. I really don't think they care what you think so long as you think.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dogstar wrote:I'm really looking forward to the new record. I listened to SUP a couple of times at the weekend and the main thing I noticed is that the vocals are really distinct, which I think is something they also did on IGTBA. Given the message the band are trying to put out I guess the whole record is going to be like this.
Yep.
dogstar wrote:I really don't think they care what you think so long as you think.
I think this accurately reflects Hood & Cooley's outlook. I think they're learning, though, that effectively delivering a focused message on any contentious, complex subject(s) to a mass*, diverse audience is a lot harder than it looks.

* "Mass" being a relative term, but the point holds true for any group larger than what can fit around an average dinner table.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:
The SWAT team is drilling as we speak. It took a while to get the drawings for Brett's house but all systems are now go.
after just watching the documentary Peace Officer, you might want to call back the SWAT team if you can. Send in MacGruber instead
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Tha Criddler

Post by Tha Criddler »

Does anyone know if the album will have the 7" with it if it's sold outside of DBTs site?

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Tha Criddler wrote:Does anyone know if the album will have the 7" with it if it's sold outside of DBTs site?
From PH "Does anyone know if the album will have the 7" with it if it's sold outside of DBTs site?

Yes. The 7" is included in all vinyl forms of the release. The song is between the end of side 1 and beginning of side 2 in the sequence on cd and DL. It has a pic sleeve by Wes.

Sent from my Jetson's iPhone"
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Tha Criddler

Post by Tha Criddler »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:
Tha Criddler wrote:Does anyone know if the album will have the 7" with it if it's sold outside of DBTs site?
From PH "Does anyone know if the album will have the 7" with it if it's sold outside of DBTs site?

Yes. The 7" is included in all vinyl forms of the release. The song is between the end of side 1 and beginning of side 2 in the sequence on cd and DL. It has a pic sleeve by Wes.

Sent from my Jetson's iPhone"
Thank you. DBT store shipping is murder.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Tha Criddler wrote: DBT store shipping is murder.
So is meat, but I'm still eating bacon.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Flea

Post by Flea »

If it were me, I'd release the album now and start touring immediately. But my business sense is definitely questionable.
Now it's dark.

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

Wolf wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: I went to pick up our dog at the boarding place today and the woman behind the counter was wearing a t shirt that said only "NRA" and nothing else in not very big letters (but they were yellow on dark blue - it was more design than a desire to whisper). My immediate thought was that it can't be THE NRA, there must be some other organization w/ the same initials (around here I immediately tried thinking of colleges and universities) and boy, must they be annoyed w/ the way that's turned out. But sure enough when the woman turned around, the design was an American flag made out of ammunition and the "national rifle association" was spelled out underneath. I was truly surprised. I've seen typical gun and NRA related bumper stickers on plenty of cars, but I'm pretty sure that's the first pro-NRA tshirt I've ever seen. I suspect the experience of many readers of this thread is quite different :lol: I wanted to ask her what kind of reactions, if any, she had been getting, but I couldn't figure out a way to do that w/out entering into dangerous waters so I didn't say anything (which I suspect is the most common reaction anyway). I'm not going to draw any grand lessons or inferences from one sighting, but I do think it was unusual enough to mention.
it's unusual in mass.
Like every fifth house where I live still sports a "Repeal the SAFE Act" lawn sign.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Repeal the what now?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

When's the next track behind released? I'm ready now!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

Clams wrote:When's the next track behind released? I'm ready now!
if this excerpt from the preorder email means anything, it's What It Means and it's coming in three weeks.

Available D2DD30MP320 DBT - Surrender Under Protest grat track
8/1/2016 D2DD31MP320 DBT - What It Means grat track
9/7/2016 D2DD32MP320 DBT - Filthy and Fried grat track

Clams

Post by Clams »

coornelius wrote:
Clams wrote:When's the next track behind released? I'm ready now!
if this excerpt from the preorder email means anything, it's What It Means and it's coming in three weeks.

Available D2DD30MP320 DBT - Surrender Under Protest grat track
8/1/2016 D2DD31MP320 DBT - What It Means grat track
9/7/2016 D2DD32MP320 DBT - Filthy and Fried grat track
Thanks for the info (but that is NOT quick enough lol)
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

bakertom09

Post by bakertom09 »

njMark wrote:I loved every bit of the press release, why mince words? The band has something to say and they did so. Why should they have to worry about stepping on anyone's toes when Trump, the nra, and a large amount of their supporters sure don't. This country is getting scary, we are uncomfortably close to electing an, I feel, out and out lunatic just because he's made hate and racism socially acceptable for people who already were and just needed someone to make it ok. Call me what you will, I probably think you're an asshole or an idiot too. Maybe the bands words bother certain people because deep down they know they're wrong, nobody likes having their well crafted and finely honed illusions shattered.
Preach on, brother!!! We need more voices that can help drown out those who care not one bit about identifying solutions to tough problems, but care more about identifying others who are the cause of any misfortune you might have. When did rock n' roll become about censoring what you want to say? I can't imagine any DBT fan would have many doubts about where these guys stand on the issues. If they are surprised and don't like what they hear, Ted Nugent is touring this summer - go see him! :)

DebbieTrucker

Post by DebbieTrucker »

Sifted through lots of responses and to me it's simple. If the band wants to say anything they want on an album that's their right no one else's. If we as consumers like it we buy it, if we don't then we don't buy the album. I personally agreed with 100% of what was said in their press release. I also love and agree with the lyrical content of the songs I've heard off the new album. This band has always been the one that has written songs about really what no other band has the balls to. That's what makes them original in a cookie cutter music culture. A lot of what drives me to listen to this band is their supreme intellect in songwriting and their awareness statements on issues most are unaware of. The songs and political messages unfortunately fly right over the head of the average American which is exactly why I love them so much. Hopefully this album will reach many more people than previous ones and make people think and show compassion for your brother man.

Tha Criddler

Post by Tha Criddler »

I think I'm really starting to appreciate bands that announce their albums and a month later the record comes out. I know its probably not the best idea financially, but man the waiting for months on end is awful.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

I want to make some additions to my previous posting of where to hear live recordings of the American Band tracks.

Old post: http://threedimesdown.com/forum/viewtop ... 20#p308716

https://archive.org/details/ph2016-07-24.aud.at835
3. Sun Don't Shine
10. Guns Of Umpqua
11. Ever South
15. What It Means

https://archive.org/details/dbt2016-07-26
1. Ramon Caiano
2. Ever South
6. The Guns of Umpqua
7. What It Means
8. Surrender Under Protest

https://archive.org/details/mc2016-07-15
Mike Cooley Solo Show
6. Filthy and Fried
16. Surrender Under Protest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk-X4oiCt2c
Mike Cooley Solo Show
05:27 Filthy and Fried

https://archive.org/details/DBT20160713
2. Ramon Casiano
5. Darkened Flags On The Cusp Of Dawn
6. Surrender Under Protest
7. Ever South
13. Baggage
15. What It Means

https://archive.org/details/DBT2016-07- ... 2016-07-17
1. Ramon Casiano
4. Darkened Flags On The Cusp Of Dawn
5. Surrender Under Protest
6. Ever South
12. What It Means
17. Filthy And Fried
Last edited by potatoeater on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

Thanks to you and all the others who posted links to live tracks. I collected certain versions and made a "live" album, as complete as possible, and really like it. Sequencing and flow is great. I thought I would like the hard-hitting stuff, like Ramon Casiano and Surrender Under Protest the most, but I am also listening a lot to Guns of Umpqua, Filthy and Fried, and Once They Banned Imagine.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

"Filthy and Fried" is the song I'm most excited for. Classic Cooley, all the way.

Still wish it was the title, but "American Band" is probably more exemplary of the album.