American Band- 9/30/16

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Wolf

Re: American Band- 9/30/16

Post by Wolf »

Zip City wrote:The "keep your politics to yourself and play some fucking music!"'crowd are going to hate this record

Good
oh really? so you've heard the whole album, know all the lyrics? just shut the fuck up already

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Wolf wrote:
Zip City wrote:The "keep your politics to yourself and play some fucking music!"'crowd are going to hate this record

Good
oh really? so you've heard the whole album, know all the lyrics? just shut the fuck up already
ha. funny shit.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

dime in the gutter wrote:
jimmyjack wrote:And as long as we're getting political, my unsolicited $0.02: I am not eager, at the moment, to hear a song inspired by Ta-Nehisi Coates, who, despite being a gifted and powerful writer, was definitely complicit in discrediting and derailing the campaign of Bernie Sanders (who he's, err, voting for now), a man who might have actually helped enact some of the changes Patterson and co are so eager to see.
i thought they wrote about her on the last album.
If you are referring to Coates, "her" is a him

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Boom. There it is.

Songs We Love: Drive-By Truckers, 'Surrender Under Protest'

It's like a lost track from Exile On Main Street, imbued with higher consciousness.

not sure if Ann Powers listens to a different Exile than do I, not getting that vibe at all. Good song but if anything, it sounds more like War-era U2 (ducks to avoid all the incoming bricks) or maybe the Alarm or some other early 80s band of that ilk, especially the chorus, than Exile era Stones

dime in the gutter

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:
jimmyjack wrote:And as long as we're getting political, my unsolicited $0.02: I am not eager, at the moment, to hear a song inspired by Ta-Nehisi Coates, who, despite being a gifted and powerful writer, was definitely complicit in discrediting and derailing the campaign of Bernie Sanders (who he's, err, voting for now), a man who might have actually helped enact some of the changes Patterson and co are so eager to see.
i thought they wrote about her on the last album.

furthering my point....i think.
Last edited by dime in the gutter on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

Couldn't help but chuckle (and think of Grand Funk Railroad) when I saw the title "American Band."

whatwouldcooleydo?

Whispering Pines wrote:Couldn't help but chuckle (and think of Grand Funk Railroad) when I saw the title "American Band."
c'mon, dudes, let's get it on!!!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Markalanbishop wrote:I know this is said about every album, but wouldn't it be nice if this were their "breakthrough" record in terms of reaching a wider audience? Given the unique political, social, and economic position we find ourselves in, and having the best lineup and best chemistry ever, they could be the right band at the right time in American music. Prediction: the West Coast is going to break them!

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

:D
Be careful what you ask for, I had a front row seat for Touch of Grey and the subsequent horde of Touchheads

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Wolf wrote:

Good
Considering we've heard 90% of the songs on the record played and their new bio pretty much says exactly the same thing, I don't think what Zip said was out of line at all.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:

Good
Or they may not.
Even better
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Wolf wrote:

Good
Nah
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Agreed, WWCD- I don't hear any similarity to Surrender Under Protest and anything off of Exile.I can get stuff like Marry Me, Three Dimes Down and Shit Shots Count (they still don't resemble any of the legendary Keef riffs but I get that they're rocking guitar riffs that kick off great tunes so close enough..) It's certainly meant as a compliment but I think journalists have just gotten lazy. It seems like every review I read on new DBT material compares Cooley songs to Stones tunes. The highest praise possible in rock and roll but I don't think it's really accurate.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Gaetzi wrote:Agreed, WWCD- I don't hear any similarity to Surrender Under Protest and anything off of Exile.I can get stuff like Marry Me, Three Dimes Down and Shit Shots Count (they still don't resemble any of the legendary Keef riffs but I get that they're rocking guitar riffs that kick off great tunes so close enough..) It's certainly meant as a compliment but I think journalists have just gotten lazy. It seems like every review I read on new DBT material compares Cooley songs to Stones tunes. The highest praise possible in rock and roll but I don't think it's really accurate.
That was Ann Powers though and I don't think she's lazy. She hears thing in music that I don't get at all sometimes but since she's been in the business so long I get it. I'm more on the Neil Young vibe myself but if she honestly hears Stones who am I to argue? She's friends with and a big fan of the band too so I don't think anything she wrote was meant to be pandering or inaccurate.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

i thought they wrote about her on the last album.[/quote]

Image[/quote]
furthering my point....i think.[/quote]

Which was...?

dime in the gutter

jimmyjack wrote:i thought they wrote about her on the last album.

Image[/quote]
furthering my point....i think.[/quote]

Which was...?[/quote]

that english oceans had multiple songs about operative types influencing the political process thru any and all means necessary to achieve the desired end result.
6x9 and counting down in one after the other
they'll go running up and down the road, angry as their mothers
over senseless acts of selfishness on made up English oceans
and made up English stomach contents tied to senseless notions

Once you grab them by the pride their hearts are bound to follow,
their natural fear of anything less manly or less natural,
like gunless sheriffs caught on lonesome roads and live to tell it
How hard it is for meaner men without the lead to sell it

Only simple men can see the logic in whatever
smarter men can whittle down till you can fit it on a sticker
Get it stuck like mud and bugs to names that set the standard,
They'll live it like it's gospel and they'll quote it like it's scripture

Its no matter if they dress real nice and sit up straight and stupid
and say their prayers in quiet ancient tongues
They're no different that the ones who close their eyes
and fall down to the ground
and twitch just like their nerves have come undone

So be it if they come to find out feeling good's
as easy as denying that there's day or night at all
til what it takes to feel a thing seems so far out of reach
they just claw their skin and grind their teeth and bawl
He was elected, wingnut raised and corn fed
Teabags dragging on the chamber floor
He did what he had to do to get southern boys to vote for you
To grease the wheels to get you in the door
But he must of said some things
that made them think that he was strange
and made them wonder if he was one of them
So they had to call him in but he wouldn’t make amends
so they had to reel the poor boy in

He was an absolute piece of shit to tell the truth
But he never told the truth to me
He never told the truth to you don’t think he ever set out to
He was indifferent to honesty
His positions were pre-ordained to help conceal his vast disdain
for anything that lessened his appeal
His integrity was phoning in, totally Nixonian
honing in the art of making deals

He was a piece of work, more or less a total jerk
His own mama called him an SOB
He never worked an honest day, just kissed up to a better way
to sell the cow you could get for free
When he got out of line, they snatched him up from behind
and put him in a box with fancy trim
Rolled him out for all to see his rendezvous with destiny
Now someone else will play the part of him

or some shit like that.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Gaetzi wrote:Agreed, WWCD- I don't hear any similarity to Surrender Under Protest and anything off of Exile.I can get stuff like Marry Me, Three Dimes Down and Shit Shots Count (they still don't resemble any of the legendary Keef riffs but I get that they're rocking guitar riffs that kick off great tunes so close enough..) It's certainly meant as a compliment but I think journalists have just gotten lazy. It seems like every review I read on new DBT material compares Cooley songs to Stones tunes. The highest praise possible in rock and roll but I don't think it's really accurate.
That was Ann Powers though and I don't think she's lazy. She hears thing in music that I don't get at all sometimes but since she's been in the business so long I get it. I'm more on the Neil Young vibe myself but if she honestly hears Stones who am I to argue? She's friends with and a big fan of the band too so I don't think anything she wrote was meant to be pandering or inaccurate.
I didn't think this made much sense at first either, but she's smart and pays attention, so I thought about it, and if Shit Shots Count is Tumbling Dice, not in the riff so much as in the groove, then Surrender Under Protest might be Happy. Or if not the groove, maybe just the vibe.

I'm not sure what I think it all sounds like, myself, but I'm ready.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I wasn't trying to knock Powers, I just feel like every rocking Cooley tune gets compared to the Stones and I don't hear it. But it's certainly a flattering comparison!

bogart

Post by bogart »

Danny Clinch is such a great rock and roll photographer.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

FWIW, my $.02 posted on FB the other day:

"I've been reeling since I first heard the title this weekend. "American Band." The sheer audacity of it. The swagger, the dare, the claim for a place at the head table or maybe the place at the head of the head table. It ain't arrogance if you can back it up and it feels like the men ("boys" just doesn't seem to cut it right now) are ready to say "fuck this cult band thing." The right band with the right songs at the right time. Let's do this thing! Plus the possibility of a Grand Funk cover w/ the crucial change of a tiny word to "We're THE American Band..." boggles the mind. And the cover pic is spectacular."

" 'It's like a lost track from Exile On Main Street, imbued with higher consciousness.' Damn, I wish I wrote that."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

I heard them play SUP, I think, at the 930 Club back in March, and it instantly hit me as a throwback to the Clash or Springsteen. Still does. I can hear some Neil in there too, but not the Stones.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Markalanbishop wrote:I know this is said about every album, but wouldn't it be nice if this were their "breakthrough" record in terms of reaching a wider audience? Given the unique political, social, and economic position we find ourselves in, and having the best lineup and best chemistry ever, they could be the right band at the right time in American music. Prediction: the West Coast is going to break them!

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

:D
I think English Oceans was a Top 20 album. That was pretty big. I mean, not #1, but Dylan took like 40 years to get there, so we'll see.

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

I was initially disappointed that "Flight 218 to Denver" didn't make the cut. However, the more I think about it, that song wouldn't have fit on this politically charged record.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Anyone heard Kinky Hypocrite? Not sure it's been played live yet, although I could be mistaken.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Eyes Above It wrote:I was initially disappointed that "Flight 218 to Denver" didn't make the cut. However, the more I think about it, that song wouldn't have fit on this politically charged record.
Must be one of the ones he's squirreling away for his solo album.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Yeah, that's kind of a sad, 3rd person point of view love story song if I recall correctly? Def not what they were going for on the new album

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Duke Silver wrote:
Eyes Above It wrote:I was initially disappointed that "Flight 218 to Denver" didn't make the cut. However, the more I think about it, that song wouldn't have fit on this politically charged record.
Must be one of the ones he's squirreling away for his solo album.
That would be cool, a legit Cooley solo album would be killer.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ramonz wrote:Anyone heard Kinky Hypocrite? Not sure it's been played live yet, although I could be mistaken.
It has not. To the best of my knowledge anyway.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I hear a countrified Clash on SUP. Not Stonesy. At all. The Stones are probably the biggest sonic influence on DBT, so it's just the easy, lazy comp.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Wolf wrote:

Good

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:I hear a countrified Clash on SUP. Not Stonesy. At all. The Stones are probably the biggest sonic influence on DBT, so it's just the easy, lazy comp.
I thought most of what Ann Powers wrote was the easy, lazy take, though she didn't trot out the usual cliches like "whiskey-soaked" and "southern fried." She would have received bonus points for usage of "hard scrabble"