DBT--7/13/2016--Free in NYC

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Rocky

Re: DBT--7/13/2016--Free in NYC

Post by Rocky »

Thanks for the words Bubba.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

What Bubba said and. A blistering, take no prisoners set from start to finish. And they make it look so easy. By the second song, Bubba and I had the same thought. Bewilderment. How can it be that the rest of the world doesn't realize this is the greatest rock band. Venue had a world class pa and Matador had it dialed in from the start. With the importance of the narrative of the new material (not that it hasn't always been the case), it was great having the vocals a bit more up front and quite clear. This Fucking Job---incredible 180 degrees on the arrangement. Smooth, smokey, slinky--lovin' it. Give it some percolation time and it's going to be stellar. Band has been on a top of their game run for the past 18 months and it shows no signs of letting up. Fall tour can't get here fast enough
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote: Northeast tour can't get here fast enough
Fixed that for ya. Not all of us are leading a life of leisure you know.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RMD

Post by RMD »

Yeah, that didn't suck. New tunes sound amazing, and I got a One Of These Days for only the 2nd time I think. Blistering is the perfect adjective .

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

RMD wrote:Yeah, that didn't suck. New tunes sound amazing, and I got a One Of These Days for only the 2nd time I think. Blistering is the perfect adjective .
Once a country boy sees how steam rises off a mans insides on the sidewalk--never gets old
Always go to the show

RMD

Post by RMD »

Jonicont wrote:
RMD wrote:Yeah, that didn't suck. New tunes sound amazing, and I got a One Of These Days for only the 2nd time I think. Blistering is the perfect adjective .
Once a country boy sees how steam rises off a mans insides on the sidewalk--never gets old
Right? And that Lookout Mountain was sheer power, what a great set. Great seeing everyone also.

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

A great show indeed, but to my mind, nowhere near as incendiary as the second (Monday) night show in Brooklyn a few months back (evoked, in my mind, by last night's familiar combo of "English Oceans" and "The Righteous Path"). Don't hate me-- I was a rock critic in a previous life, and love this band as much as most anybody on TDD-- but I've also got to disagree with some of the previous comments. I was at the rail for the first hour-- belated greetings to U.R., C.G., etc.-- and especially early on, found it hard to catch the words of the new songs, most of which I'd already heard. A newbie, I've got to assume, caught even less. (To my ears, Patterson's enunciation is generally easier to follow, and the words to the folkier "What It Means" popped out the just fine.) All that's part of the audio calculation of the rock show, of course, and truth be told, the balance was better when I moved back into the crowd. But I find the praise for the rather ramshackle reinterpretation of "This Fucking Job" totally unconvincing. In his introduction, Patterson explained that this was an off-the-cuff version they'd cooked up the day before, and while I could rationalize that the slow, bluesy tempo reflected a different sort of hard-luck resignation than the hard-rocking original, the performance didn't capitalize on that bet. Patterson was still figuring out how to convert the melody to the new tempo, and hit some rather pitchy notes while Cooley was basically wanking on the slide until the song sputtered to its conclusion. To be sure, it's fun that the band is willing to retool an old song, especially when tunes from 'The Big To-Do' are relative rarities, but I find it hard to believe that this version will become a go-to song on the set list.

notarydpo72

Post by notarydpo72 »

Count me among those who were blown away. Last night was my introduction to all of the new songs except SUP. This record deserves to be huge. If it doesn't seriously outperform the last three then something has gone terribly wrong.

The set overall was really well focused. It reminded me of the days when Springsteen routinely used his sets as a way of saying something to the audience. Few in the crowd last night could have missed the theme, and they responded to it well. The What it Means/One Of These Days two pack was brilliant.

I'll agree with Whispering Pines about the revisited TFJ. It just didn't seem to work. With that being said, I'm always glad to hear a band revisit the catalogue and try to find something new in lesser played. It works at least as often as at fails. From my location (on rail behind a little three-seat corral) everything sounded great; could make out every word of the new stuff.

All I need now is a half dozen northeast shows in the next six months or so. Greedy, but I'll own it.

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

NYC show was my first DBT gig since March 2015. I loved the new songs, the record is going to be kick-ass. Is it too early to say it might be my favorite album of theirs? Sometimes when bands write topical/memorial songs the lyrics can come off a bit forced, but it seems that the Truckers' entire career trajectory, as musicians, storytellers, and historians, has brought them to this point where their songs and current events rise into sharp alignment. Truly an American Band.

I have attended one Lowdown Hudson show before and it was seated. Was glad to see this would be standing-only. The way into "the pit" was a bit confusing but even as I showed up at 7:45 I was able to get pretty close - Lotta folks were content to hang back. Except for a couple real latecomers nobody really "crashed the front" and most folks had room to spare. Had a really loud yeller behind me too, guy didn't take a break all night! D-B-T! Haha.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yaz Rock wrote:the Truckers' entire career trajectory, as musicians, storytellers, and historians, has brought them to this point where their songs and current events rise into sharp alignment. Truly an American Band.
Yep. This could be their "perfect storm."

Nice pics!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Good lord, Patton's hair. Does he keep losing bets or something?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:Good lord, Patton's hair. Does he keep losing bets or something?
I can't believe you, of all people, are complaining about this! If he wins, they're going to play Columbus again. You may have just lost your last chance to see DBT if he hears about this.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
I can't believe you, of all people, are complaining about this! If he wins, they're going to play Columbus again. You may have just lost your last chance to see DBT if he hears about this.
When they play Columbus, the whole band loses. This stupid town doesn't know good music
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Zip City wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
When they play Columbus, the whole band loses. This stupid town doesn't know good music
Dont know much about Columbus but the last time I saw them play there, half the crowd was gone by the time they finished their set. And it wasn't that full to begin with.

DD&N 2002

Post by DD&N 2002 »

I will have to agree with Whispering Pines on the show review. It was a great spot and a free show so hard to complain. Always great to see DBT and i really enjoyed the new tunes. Once the vocals were turned up in response to call from the crowd the sound was much better. A 90 minute slot puts pressure on song selection when also showcasing new tunes and we know DBT can surge past 2 hours with ease at their own shows. Other than right up on the rail i would say crowd much less than 50% DBT dedicated fans, but that is good for the band on the exposure front. We enjoyed the show for sure but this show would not come close to making my top 10 shows i have seen in NY, let alone elsewhere. Fun but nothing special. Look forward to seeing them again and alas too popular for the good old days at the Bowery Ballroom!

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I loved the show. I thought the band was on from start to finish. I really enjoyed the new arrangement of This Fucking Job…a song that to be honest had become old hat to me some time ago. In contrast, I was hanging on every note and syllable of this rendition. I hope they play it again on the tour this fall. I think it's a bit ridiculous to compare a 90-minute festival set to a normal rock show that runs past 2 hours. I also thought the sound was fine for DBT as well as both opening acts. I am excited to see them again in September and October.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Trying to listen to this performance of Darkened Flags to help work out the lyrics and there is some girl clapping her hands and making noise through the whole damn recording. :evil:
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

Actually it was a dude. He and his buddy disappeared about 45 mins. in but they came back a short while later, though a bit further away from me then. I would have moved but I had a good spot and didn't want to get in someone else's way while the show was already in progress. Believe it or not, I did scrub out or minimize a lot of his claps and yells, as long as it didn't result in cutting noticeably into the songs.