DBT--7/13/2016--Free in NYC

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

DBT--7/13/2016--Free in NYC

Post by Jonicont »

http://www.artsbrookfield.com/event/lowdown-2/

Gorgeous downtown plaza on the Hudson
Always go to the show

Sterling Big Mouth

Re: DBT--7/13/2017--Free in NYC

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

Just saw the great news and pumped that my favorite band will be playing five minutes from home. See everyone at the Rock Show!
Three guitars or a life of crime

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

At the end of the 2nd Brooklyn show in March, Patterson said see you in the summer. I was wondering when something was going to be announced.

angryandy

Re: DBT--7/13/2016--Free in NYC

Post by angryandy »

Hell yeah!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

In
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

In
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Not in. Crap. My kids are in daycamp upstate that week. I'll be staying up there , too. The things I do for my children.

Clams

Post by Clams »

In. Most likely.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlysnaps wrote:Not in. Crap. My kids are in daycamp upstate that week. I'll be staying up there , too. The things I do for my children.
It's free. It's outdoors. Bring the kids. THEN you'll be doing something for them :D

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

Sterling Big Mouth wrote:Just saw the great news and pumped that my favorite band will be playing five minutes from home. See everyone at the Rock Show!

Looking forward to sharing another rock show with you mi amigo.

RMD

Post by RMD »

What is the deal with this? I understand it is free, but do you have to get there super early, etc.? Any info from those who know would be appreciated .

SteveInCTNeedsADrink

Post by SteveInCTNeedsADrink »

My favorite band of all time? Outdoors in NYC? Summertime? Free? Can you say hell fucking yeah?

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

Psyched! Fondly remember the summertime show DBT did at Castle Clinton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuuMPYIlGII

As for crowd, etc., the night of the Castle Clinton show (a smaller space), we got on line at 5pm and scored seats pretty close to the stage. Expect a similar scene, though this outdoor set-up seems significantly larger.

bogart

Post by bogart »

I swear, my timing sucks!

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Ray Wylie Hubbard is playing Hill Country on 26th St. that night, showtime at 10 pm. With the showtime for the fest being at 6 pm, I would think there's a potential chance to double-dip.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Anybody have the scoop on this Brookfield place? If I'm not interested in hugging the rail, when do I have to get there to be assured of (a) getting in and (b) having a decent sight & sound line to the stage? I'm not especially interested in the openers so if the answer is after showtime that's just fine w/ me, but if i have to be there before doors I can do that too. And are there any pre-game plans?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Out.

RMD

Post by RMD »

beantownbubba wrote:Anybody have the scoop on this Brookfield place? If I'm not interested in hugging the rail, when do I have to get there to be assured of (a) getting in and (b) having a decent sight & sound line to the stage? I'm not especially interested in the openers so if the answer is after showtime that's just fine w/ me, but if i have to be there before doors I can do that too. And are there any pre-game plans?
I have the same questions! Anyone? Zero info on DBT's and festivals site.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

DBT has a 90 minute slot tonight. Figure sometime between 8:00-8:30. They were not letting anymore people into the "floor" area for the Roots last night by 8:30. There was room on the steps around the perimeter. The band was recording videos for the new record yesterday at Electric Lady studios. It was pretty neat. Image
Always go to the show

RMD

Post by RMD »

Thanks! Maybe we will run into you later.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

me and a few friends are going to go to Clinton Hall pre show. 90 Washington St.

lador

Post by lador »

3:09 Pm ready to run out of work!

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Ramon Casiano
Puttin' People on the Moon
3 Dimes Down
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Surrender Under Protest
Ever South
Made Up English Oceans
The Righteous Path
A Ghost to Most
This Fucking Job
Get Downtown
Baggage
Marry Me
What It Means
One of These Days
Lookout Mountain

This set was FIRE

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

This Fucking Job was totally different. In introducing it PH said they re-worked it yesterday, and the result was a downtempo piano/slide guitar-heavy blues rock stomper. I'm guessing this will be a regular in future set lists.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I love this band. I absolutely fucking love this band. It's probably fair to say that there's not an objective word in this entire post but I fervently believe every word of it. An hour & a half is not nearly enough time to fully experience DBT but at least i knew what to expect going in and they certainly delivered a terrific, high energy set built around the new songs. My guess is that they made more than a couple of new fans (truly just a guess based on crowd members who didn't seem familiar w/ the band but who appeared to be digging the show big time).

The set was almost entirely devoted to the new more transparently political direction including both new and older songs and Cooley in particular seemed to me to be on a mission based on both song selection and delivery. The new songs seemed to go over really well, especially "What It Means" which is more relevant by the hour. All the songs but especially the newer less familiar ones were enhanced by the truly stellar sound. The only times I've heard sound this good at a rock show have been a couple of times catching shows at venues meant for classical performances ("recital halls" or symphony spaces). The vocals were crystal clear which made understanding the new songs as easy as it ever gets.

The setting was also magnificent, especially as darkness descended. It was a little disconcerting to be surrounded by so much conspicuous wealth (huge yachts in the marina; the most upscale mall I think I've ever seen) but that made the set list that much more delicious. The only remotely disappointing thing was that the band didn't play "Sinkhole." I mean, come on, we were literally steps from Wall St. But that's not so much a complaint as an observation about a lost opportunity to stick it to the man on his home turf.

Looked to me like Patterson was styling a new hair style. Hehe.

"Righteous Path" continues to develop righteously and remains a personal favorite as it gets better and better. "This Fuckin' Job" was a nice surprise and the reworking that Uncle Rickey mentioned was very cool. It seemed to have a little of everything in it from lounge lizard to Mose Allison to Tom Waits. Following it with "Get Downtown" was just one of those little DBT moments that make it fun. I think it was "Baggage" that seemed like it might segue into Tom Petty's "Breakdown" a couple of times. "Ever South" impresses me more and more every time I hear it. Crowd pleasers like "Marry Me," "PPOTM" and "Lookout Mountain" hit the spot and brought the show to another level. Old fans, new fans, the simply curious all seemed to eat up every minute of the show. You could almost see it as after each song the portion of the crowd cheering wildly and getting totally into it moved back another 10 or 20 feet kind of like a version of the wave. The band seemed to be enjoying every minute of the show and the setting and they are all really, really, really good at what they do. I know I've mentioned it before but I continue to get such a kick out of Jay playing both guitar and keys in the same song.

Okay, way past my bedtime. Did I mention how much I love this band?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Meant to say that Patterson new hairstyle looks really good. Movin' up in the world.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:I love this band. I absolutely fucking love this band. It's probably fair to say that there's not an objective word in this entire post but I fervently believe every word of it. An hour & a half is not nearly enough time to fully experience DBT but at least i knew what to expect going in and they certainly delivered a terrific, high energy set built around the new songs. My guess is that they made more than a couple of new fans (truly just a guess based on crowd members who didn't seem familiar w/ the band but who appeared to be digging the show big time).

The set was almost entirely devoted to the new more transparently political direction including both new and older songs and Cooley in particular seemed to me to be on a mission based on both song selection and delivery. The new songs seemed to go over really well, especially "What It Means" which is more relevant by the hour. All the songs but especially the newer less familiar ones were enhanced by the truly stellar sound. The only times I've heard sound this good at a rock show have been a couple of times catching shows at venues meant for classical performances ("recital halls" or symphony spaces). The vocals were crystal clear which made understanding the new songs as easy as it ever gets.

The setting was also magnificent, especially as darkness descended. It was a little disconcerting to be surrounded by so much conspicuous wealth (huge yachts in the marina; the most upscale mall I think I've ever seen) but that made the set list that much more delicious. The only remotely disappointing thing was that the band didn't play "Sinkhole." I mean, come on, we were literally steps from Wall St. But that's not so much a complaint as an observation about a lost opportunity to stick it to the man on his home turf.

Looked to me like Patterson was styling a new hair style. Hehe.

"Righteous Path" continues to develop righteously and remains a personal favorite as it gets better and better. "This Fuckin' Job" was a nice surprise and the reworking that Uncle Rickey mentioned was very cool. It seemed to have a little of everything in it from lounge lizard to Mose Allison to Tom Waits. Following it with "Get Downtown" was just one of those little DBT moments that make it fun. I think it was "Baggage" that seemed like it might segue into Tom Petty's "Breakdown" a couple of times. "Ever South" impresses me more and more every time I hear it. Crowd pleasers like "Marry Me," "PPOTM" and "Lookout Mountain" hit the spot and brought the show to another level. Old fans, new fans, the simply curious all seemed to eat up every minute of the show. You could almost see it as after each song the portion of the crowd cheering wildly and getting totally into it moved back another 10 or 20 feet kind of like a version of the wave. The band seemed to be enjoying every minute of the show and the setting and they are all really, really, really good at what they do. I know I've mentioned it before but I continue to get such a kick out of Jay playing both guitar and keys in the same song.

Okay, way past my bedtime. Did I mention how much I love this band?
So, you liked it? :)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:So, you liked it? :)
He's on the fence. :lol: ;)

Nice write up Bubba. Good stuff.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

Ain't no better way to spend a Wednesday summer night in NYC. What a great show, the new material kicks ass live.
Great time surrounded by friends on the rail. Excellent crowd and yes, DBT made LOTS of new fans last night.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I'm super excited for the new album and tour. Reading threads like this is tough because I'm dying to see DBT live again. They're the only band I've ever followed where seeing them 4 months ago seems like a lifetime. I sure wish they'd announce the 2nd leg of the tour so I can at least start counting down when I can see them again.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.