Songs you wanna see brought back

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Songs you wanna see brought back

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Iowan wrote:I saw this post on a sports related board that has an extensive music forum:
Cooley needs to dump Patterson and just go do his own southern rock band. Patterson is off on his portlandia hipster black lives matter shit.
http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showth ... s-April-16

I don't agree with the poster at all on the first sentence
Of course you don't. He's an ignoramus who doesn't get Cooley.
Iowan wrote:but I do wonder if being in the uber hipster uber sensitive enclave of Portland has had an effect on Patterson's expression and message. It would be dangerous for him, in terms of public perception, to do anything that would appear tone deaf to that crowd, and I could see that set being offended by a lot of DBT's material for various reasons. You can see my concerns there (same ones I've expressed here before).
I suspect it's just the opposite, that these are things he needs to say and that need is part of what took him to Portland. That, and the kids got to go to better schools. That's the question that's got its claws in me right now and won't let go: What would happen to the family?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Iowan wrote:I saw this post on a sports related board that has an extensive music forum:
Cooley needs to dump Patterson and just go do his own southern rock band. Patterson is off on his portlandia hipster black lives matter shit.
http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showth ... s-April-16

I don't agree with the poster at all on the first sentence
Of course you don't. He's an ignoramus who doesn't get Cooley.
Iowan wrote:but I do wonder if being in the uber hipster uber sensitive enclave of Portland has had an effect on Patterson's expression and message. It would be dangerous for him, in terms of public perception, to do anything that would appear tone deaf to that crowd, and I could see that set being offended by a lot of DBT's material for various reasons. You can see my concerns there (same ones I've expressed here before).
I suspect it's just the opposite, that these are things he needs to say and that need is part of what took him to Portland. That, and the kids got to go to better schools. That's the question that's got its claws in me right now and won't let go: What would happen to the family?
I'm coming at the whole thing more from a place of avoiding old material that could appear insensitive and less about the material he's making now. I think you're right about Patterson wanting to say the things he says now and needing a new venue for that, but I don't think that means my initial premise is wrong either.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:

Just wait until that guy hears "Roman Casiano"
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

John A Arkansawyer

Iowan wrote:I'm coming at the whole thing more from a place of avoiding old material that could appear insensitive and less about the material he's making now. I think you're right about Patterson wanting to say the things he says now and needing a new venue for that, but I don't think that means my initial premise is wrong either.
I'm with Beantown that Patterson knows he's on more than one stage right now, and that he's conscious of it and acting in accordance with it, so I too think you're seeing something actual. But I'm not sure how much not playing Nine Bullets is about peoples' reactions and how much it's due to two coincidences: Arriving in Oregon with your family just in time for the shooting in Umpqua and getting ready to play a rock show while you aren't sure whether the drummer from a band that used to open for you got killed in Paris. Either of those might give me pause, and I joyfully helped put on the first Dead Kennedys show in Dallas, Texas.

(One of the greatest rock shows of my life, I might add, especially since the shit didn't come down till the day after.)

And in another random yet meaningful (if you want it to be meaningful, and not if you don't) coincidence, Patterson just said directly to me--okay, it's from the Lyric Theater, 4/8/16, but it came from the speakers on my desktop, so I'm going to take it as a kinder, gentler coincidence--"I've been around the world, and I refuse to walk in fear." And you have to wonder, just like he did that night, whether it's to keep them out or to keep us in.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

pearlbeer wrote:
Some guy on a sports board wrote:Cooley needs to dump Patterson and just go do his own southern rock band. Patterson is off on his portlandia hipster black lives matter shit.
Just wait until that guy hears "Roman Casiano"
Some guy on a sports board wrote:Patterson needs to dump Cooley and just go do his own southern rock band. Cooley is off on his Birmingham suburbia hipster brown lives matter shit.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Iowan wrote:It would be dangerous for him, in terms of public perception, to do anything that would appear tone deaf to that crowd, and I could see that set being offended by a lot of DBT's material for various reasons. You can see my concerns there (same ones I've expressed here before).
This entire situation has already blown up on several of the DBT Facebook groups (several times, most recently about the BLM sign & about some of the new songs) and even involved Patterson himself chiming in. I personally feel that the band would be better off without a certain very small segment of the DBT community who seem to be blind and deaf when it comes to the band's social commentary. I read some of the most vile and racist comments on those threads from supposedly fellow DBT fans that really surprised me. Let's face it, the band has leaned a certain way politically since the inception of DBT and I find it hard to believe that any fans paying attention could miss that.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Most of you have mentioned some of the songs I'd like to hear. Just throwing my wishes on the pile.
Greenville to Baton Rouge - never heard
Mama Bake a Pie - never heard
Do it Yourself - heard a few times but fairly rare
Zoloft - heard a few times but fairly rare
9 Bullets - I can understand why they may not want to play this these days, but I miss the sing-along

Speaking of things they may not want to play these days, I've noticed in Dead Drunk and Naked Patterson has been dropping the line "The South will rise again" I've seen it dropped quite often these days which leads me to think it's intentional. It has to be a fine line they need to walk, staying true to their beliefs, and not shying away from politically charged songs, but also knowing they've got to get fans coming out to the shows, buying t-shirts, and talking up DBT on social media and encouraging others to see the live show. I know they love what they do, but at the end of the day, they need to be able to pay the electric bill like the rest of us and aren't in a position to piss off too many people. Just my 2 cents.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

CooleyGirl wrote:Most of you have mentioned some of the songs I'd like to hear. Just throwing my wishes on the pile.
Greenville to Baton Rouge - never heard
Mama Bake a Pie - never heard
Do it Yourself - heard a few times but fairly rare
Zoloft - heard a few times but fairly rare
9 Bullets - I can understand why they may not want to play this these days, but I miss the sing-along

Speaking of things they may not want to play these days, I've noticed in Dead Drunk and Naked Patterson has been dropping the line "The South will rise again" I've seen it dropped quite often these days which leads me to think it's intentional. It has to be a fine line they need to walk, staying true to their beliefs, and not shying away from politically charged songs, but also knowing they've got to get fans coming out to the shows, buying t-shirts, and talking up DBT on social media and encouraging others to see the live show. I know they love what they do, but at the end of the day, they need to be able to pay the electric bill like the rest of us and aren't in a position to piss off too many people. Just my 2 cents.
This is what I'm getting at, and I feel the same way. Way of the world and all that.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

brett27295 wrote:
Iowan wrote:It would be dangerous for him, in terms of public perception, to do anything that would appear tone deaf to that crowd, and I could see that set being offended by a lot of DBT's material for various reasons. You can see my concerns there (same ones I've expressed here before).
This entire situation has already blown up on several of the DBT Facebook groups (several times, most recently about the BLM sign & about some of the new songs) and even involved Patterson himself chiming in. I personally feel that the band would be better off without a certain very small segment of the DBT community who seem to be blind and deaf when it comes to the band's social commentary. I read some of the most vile and racist comments on those threads from supposedly fellow DBT fans that really surprised me. Let's face it, the band has leaned a certain way politically since the inception of DBT and I find it hard to believe that any fans paying attention could miss that.
I think there's a certain segment of any fanbase that can be referred to as "casual." In other words, they might be familiar with only the most well known songs but really have no idea about the band's politics or that some songs are overtly political. I see this on the official R.E.M. FB page quite frequently (not so much on the fan-based group pages). The mere fact that Stipe is wearing a beard and sporting a septum piercing sends people off the deep end. Add his support of Bernie Sanders to the mix and folks get downright vicious and threatening towards one another. It's as if they have no clue that this is a band that was outspoken on politics, the environment and a number of other causes throughout their career. Yes, a certain amount of folks posting there are trolls just there to provoke folks for the thrill of it (sound familiar?) but some are genuine fans who seemed shocked at Stipe's support of Sanders or that the page itself features articles of a political nature. Dig deep and you can find some actual intellectual discourse but it's incredibly rare. You're much more likely to find folks throwing toxic verbal punches at one another from behind the safety of a computer screen. It's quite disheartening but in a sense, not all that surprising as there seems to be no monitoring of posters (a few of which are spammers) and anyone can post on the page, all they have to do is "Like" it so you do get a lot of folks who aren't even fans of R.E.M., they're just there to show their ass.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

There's a certain irony here that is just so DBT-ish. If Iowan & CG are correct, then in other words DBT is playing to its liberal base and is concerned about pissing off that base. Of course as Brett notes, on the DBT FB page(s), most of the uproar that erupts from time to time is from the conservative portion of the base that is not interested in DBT's politics. The latter is of course the type of thing which happens most often w/ "controversial" musicians which makes this new perspective particularly upside down or inside out or whatever it is. Talk about the duality of the DBT thing!

I'm caught betwixt & between: I do think the band, especially Patterson has moderated somewhat but I'm not at all sure it's in the specific way Iowan posits. And I bet that if Patterson is made aware of this thread he'll immediately be shouting "9 Bullets" from the rooftops, or at least stagefronts. After all, if he didn't, what would we have left?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:There's a certain irony here that is just so DBT-ish. If Iowan & CG are correct, then in other words DBT is playing to its liberal base and is concerned about pissing off that base. Of course as Brett notes, on the DBT FB page(s), most of the uproar that erupts from time to time is from the conservative portion of the base that is not interested in DBT's politics. The latter is of course the type of thing which happens most often w/ "controversial" musicians which makes this new perspective particularly upside down or inside out or whatever it is. Talk about the duality of the DBT thing!

I'm caught betwixt & between: I do think the band, especially Patterson has moderated somewhat but I'm not at all sure it's in the specific way Iowan posits. And I bet that if Patterson is made aware of this thread he'll immediately be shouting "9 Bullets" from the rooftops, or at least stagefronts. After all, if he didn't, what would we have left?

Brett would still have my motherfucking pickle lighter.
Now it's dark.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:There's a certain irony here that is just so DBT-ish. If Iowan & CG are correct, then in other words DBT is playing to its liberal base and is concerned about pissing off that base. Of course as Brett notes, on the DBT FB page(s), most of the uproar that erupts from time to time is from the conservative portion of the base that is not interested in DBT's politics. The latter is of course the type of thing which happens most often w/ "controversial" musicians which makes this new perspective particularly upside down or inside out or whatever it is. Talk about the duality of the DBT thing!

He might, but I don't think a thing is lost if he doesn't. Is something lost because he took out "the south will rise again" from DD&N? People, opinions and messages change.
I don't have any reason to believe 9 Bullets has been shelved because of it's subject matter other than pure speculation. I personally think a darkly humorous song about shooting motherfuckers because they piss you off wouldn't flow as well in a set preceding or following a non-fiction heartbreaking song about being the victim of a mass shooter. They certainly can co-exist and "9 Bullets" is deceptively tragic itself, but personally I would feel weird and somewhat cheap singing along to it with a lump still left over in my throat from "heaven's calling my name from the hallway outside the door". Yours (and the band's) mileage may vary.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

BTW, I think 9 Bullets is a brilliant song and one of my favorites;.this is not at all a matter of censorship or political correctness or whatever else it could be misconstrued as.

TDB

Post by TDB »

Smitty wrote:I wonder if they've moved away from "9 Bullets" in the wake of all these mass shootings (or at least since society has become more conscious of them).

I mean its hard to imagine "9 Bullets" being played after hearing "The Guns of Umpqua", ya know .
I respectfully disagree. I WANT to hear Nine Bullets back in the set to BALANCE it out! Sure, many of these current songs are of a serious nature but I for one would still like to take a trip in the way back machine and enjoy a golden oldie every now and then no matter how well it matches up with the current politically correct trend. Why NOT play "People Who Died" AFTER Grand Canyon? Don't you think Craig would appreciate that? Come on?

John A Arkansawyer

TDB wrote:
Smitty wrote:I wonder if they've moved away from "9 Bullets" in the wake of all these mass shootings (or at least since society has become more conscious of them).

I mean its hard to imagine "9 Bullets" being played after hearing "The Guns of Umpqua", ya know .
I respectfully disagree. I WANT to hear Nine Bullets back in the set to BALANCE it out! Sure, many of these current songs are of a serious nature but I for one would still like to take a trip in the way back machine and enjoy a golden oldie every now and then no matter how well it matches up with the current politically correct trend. Why NOT play "People Who Died" AFTER Grand Canyon? Don't you think Craig would appreciate that? Come on?
I don't think those are good comparisons. Nine Bullets is funny, even though it's got a bite to it. Now, I love dark humor. Here's the joke my kid told me Sunday at church, so funny I actually said, "Tell it again!" so some other folks could hear it:
Q: Why is dark humor like food?
A: A lot of people don't get it.
God, I was proud. Anyway, that joke is really funny, but there are times and places I wouldn't tell it. So I wouldn't put Nine Bullets and The Guns of Umpqua close to each other. I mean, what goes between? Loaded Gun In The Closet? I probably wouldn't put them in the same show. But there is a time for everything, and I do hope Nine Bullets still gets played. It is a great singalong and it is a really good song. You just have to handle explosives with great care.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Flea wrote: Brett would still have my motherfucking pickle lighter.
Damn right.

John A Arkansawyer

brett27295 wrote:
Flea wrote: Brett would still have my motherfucking pickle lighter.
Damn right.
In the immortal words of Hank Stamper, "Never give an inch."

09Gamecock

Post by 09Gamecock »

I think it's hard to argue that Patterson's song writing has gotten too political for it not to hurt the band in some form or fashion. He's obviously free to write what the hell he wants to write, but they're going to sell less tickets if they don't get off this soap box and stick to doing what they do best.

I don't go to a Truckers show to hear songs about the current political or racial climate. I don't mind at all if Patterson wants to give even more than his two cents in between songs, but for the love of Christ, don't write a cheesy song about the Black Lives Matter movement or anything of that nature. He's too good of a songwriter for that. Stick to the dark shit about holding grudges, being fucked over, exacting revenge, avoiding the law, violence, murder, rape, incest, addiction, depression, broken families, and everything else that most bands won't touch. That's what really tells a powerful story.

Any jack off can stand in front of a Black Lives Matter sign and insert themselves into that conversation. Anyone can write a politically oriented song that sounds very out of place in their respective catalogue. Patterson has too much talent for that. Don't waste precious spots in your set for numerous crappy songs just to try to be politically correct. I think we all knew him moving to Portland wasn't going to be a positive change for people who like old school, hard rocking, hard living DBT. I'm genuinely glad for him if he and his family are happy and enjoying life. But it sucks that it seems like it's going to push him further and further in a different direction artistically.

For the record, I agree with many of Patterson's political stances. And I'm not someone to shy away from talking about them. But it can definitely be taken too far. It's especially surprising to me that everyone in the band would agree to have a sign associating them with a VERY confused and often times misguided movement like the Black Lives Matter campaign. There are some vocal "leaders" behind that charge that are in it for the wrong reasons. I don't think that's really what DBT ever has been, and I sure hope it's not what they want to become.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

09Gamecock wrote:but for the love of Christ, don't write a cheesy song about the Black Lives Matter movement or anything of that nature. He's too good of a songwriter for that.
What song are you referring to? I suspect you're talking about "What It Means" (which is a fantastic song and isn't about the BLM movement, as a matter of fact the backstory he told at Homecoming this year really gave me a whole new perspective of the song) and I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say "He's too good of a songwriter for that". For what exactly?

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

09Gamecock wrote:I think it's hard to argue that Patterson's song writing has gotten too political for it not to hurt the band in some form or fashion. He's obviously free to write what the hell he wants to write, but they're going to sell less tickets if they don't get off this soap box and stick to doing what they do best.

I don't go to a Truckers show to hear songs about the current political or racial climate. I don't mind at all if Patterson wants to give even more than his two cents in between songs, but for the love of Christ, don't write a cheesy song about the Black Lives Matter movement or anything of that nature. He's too good of a songwriter for that. Stick to the dark shit about holding grudges, being fucked over, exacting revenge, avoiding the law, violence, murder, rape, incest, addiction, depression, broken families, and everything else that most bands won't touch. That's what really tells a powerful story.

Any jack off can stand in front of a Black Lives Matter sign and insert themselves into that conversation. Anyone can write a politically oriented song that sounds very out of place in their respective catalogue. Patterson has too much talent for that. Don't waste precious spots in your set for numerous crappy songs just to try to be politically correct. I think we all knew him moving to Portland wasn't going to be a positive change for people who like old school, hard rocking, hard living DBT. I'm genuinely glad for him if he and his family are happy and enjoying life. But it sucks that it seems like it's going to push him further and further in a different direction artistically.

For the record, I agree with many of Patterson's political stances. And I'm not someone to shy away from talking about them. But it can definitely be taken too far. It's especially surprising to me that everyone in the band would agree to have a sign associating them with a VERY confused and often times misguided movement like the Black Lives Matter campaign. There are some vocal "leaders" behind that charge that are in it for the wrong reasons. I don't think that's really what DBT ever has been, and I sure hope it's not what they want to become.
This post is full of contradictions and misplaced logic. So much so that I don't really even know where to start when responding to it. What I will say is that I see this as a natural progression of the Truckers especially given the current political climate (particularly in the South) and while having a Black Lives Matter sign on stage isn't something we've seen before, I have no problem with it. If it shakes off some of the fans that believe the Truckers shouldn't be expressing their opinions on the issue either in banter or in songs, in the long run, that would be for the best. The worst possible thing that could happen would be for the Truckers to start taking direction from fans as to the content of their songs or how they present themselves on stage. Thank goodness, there's no danger of that happening.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote: This post is full of contradictions and misplaced logic. So much so that I don't really even know where to start when responding to it. What I will say is that I see this as a natural progression of the Truckers especially given the current political climate (particularly in the South) and while having a Black Lives Matter sign on stage isn't something we've seen before, I have no problem with it. If it shakes off some of the fans that believe the Truckers shouldn't be expressing their opinions on the issue either in banter or in songs, in the long run, that would be for the best. The worst possible thing that could happen would be for the Truckers to start taking direction from fans as to the content of their songs or how they present themselves on stage. Thank goodness, there's no danger of that happening.
Very well said. As I said above perhaps the DBT fanbase could use a little pruning...

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

09Gamecock wrote:I think it's hard to argue that Patterson's song writing has gotten too political for it not to hurt the band in some form or fashion. He's obviously free to write what the hell he wants to write, but they're going to sell less tickets if they don't get off this soap box and stick to doing what they do best.

I don't agree with content in your post, however I certainly respect the fact that you had the stones to post a contradictory opinion.

I have only seen one of the songs live and I have yet to hear the full finished product of the new album, but I'll say that based upon what I have heard the songs seem to resonate with me more than the previous 3 albums.

In regards to politics in DBT's songs....they have been so prevalent in some form or fashion throughout the band's history. Given your post above, one might assume that you dislike Puttin' People on the Moon. Or the political undertones involved in the story behind Sinkhole (and thus The Accountant). Or even the more contemporary Made Up English Oceans. How about the story and the history behind Uncle Frank?

I'm confused by much of what you are trying to convey in your post. But if you are (based upon your Portland comment), please don't make this a North vs. South thing. We all bind together here in this community. There should be more unification in our life at this moment in life and less divisiveness.

John A Arkansawyer

I skipped past this originally, but I want to revisit it for a moment:
Iowan wrote:I think you're right about Patterson wanting to say the things he says now
I don't know if he wants to say them; I do believe he needs to say them. Why else would he do something which can have the bad effects on the business end of the band people have convincingly detailed? His songs on these topics and Cooley's both could just as easily be solo material. They clearly want the maximum number of people to hear what they have to say right now, and they are saying to people who don't necessarily want to hear it. If you don't believe doing so is a conscious choice, then I think you underestimate their intelligence.

I don't believe in the supernatural, but I do believe that sometimes you hear a Call, and that what you do in those moments determines who and what you are. As e e cummings sang of Olaf, glad and free, 'There is some shit I will not eat.' That can be your conscience Calling, and it can also be your muse, your genius, your spirit Calling. And if they're speaking with one voice, then off you go. To bring this back to the original topic:
The Sage of Tuscumbia, Alabama wrote:It ain't about the money or even being #1
You gotta know when it's all over you did the best you could've done
Knowing that it's in you and you never let it out
Is worse than blowing any engine or any wreck you'll ever have

John A Arkansawyer

Cubfan06 wrote:I don't agree with content in your post, however I certainly respect the fact that you had the stones to post a contradictory opinion.
Me, too. I chickened out on something I shouldn't have a couple years ago--long story, not yet fully told--which is know biting me and mine on the ass. Shame on me. So good for you, 09Gamecock, for speaking your mind about how you feel!

woollyB

Post by woollyB »

Cubfan06 wrote:In regards to politics in DBT's songs....they have been so prevalent in some form or fashion throughout the band's history. Given your post above, one might assume that you dislike Puttin' People on the Moon. Or the political undertones involved in the story behind Sinkhole (and thus The Accountant). Or even the more contemporary Made Up English Oceans. How about the story and the history behind Uncle Frank?
Not that it matters to the discussion, but Sinkhole is about a farmer who borrowed money and didn't pay it back, and a banker who foreclosed on the collateral (unwisely, as it were). Any political undertones in that song are being applied by the listener, not the lyrics.

As a general matter, I prefer less politics, more rock. I can appreciate that Patterson wants to or feels obligated to become more overtly political for any number of reasons. I don't love it but it's certainly his prerogative. I do think think getting older tends to have that effect on people. And I think getting media and political attention as a "spokesperson" can have a certain intoxicating effect on a middle-aged, underground musician .... look how fast Killer Mike flipped from libertarian to progressive when Bernie Sanders kissed his ass.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

just gonna quickly hit on a few points:
DBT have always made politics part of their art, from their first album onward. SRO is an extremely political record, arguably moreso than their new material. The political undertone in "Sinkhole" is intended; it's made even more evident in the "trickle down" portion of the live version.
You may have had reservations about Patterson's move to Portland (this sentence seems so wrong to type), but don't say "we all knew" anything. I was and continue to be very excited about the move and particularly it's effect on his art and the opportunities for collaborations with Portland musicians.
There are no cheesy songs. Not one.

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I feel like a useless bastard for leaving that one out.

Did you ever hear the Downtown Rumblers' version? I love what Jay brought to the song.

that show has the fuck Ted Nugent version of "Pride of the Yankees". Hope he didn't alienate his audience. :roll:
Last edited by Smitty on Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Smitty wrote:
I feel like a useless bastard for leaving that one out.

Did you ever hear the Downtown Rumblers' version? I love what Jay brought to the song.
i could swear the rumblers played it at the grey eagle in asheville some years back