Songs you wanna see brought back

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Songs you wanna see brought back

Post by Smitty »

Careless
Greenville to Baton Rouge
You and Your Crystal Meth
Santa Fe
The Kids Are Gonna Love It
I Do Believe
Buford Stick
Tough Sell (reworked with some sick greasy Matt Patton bass)
This Fucking Job
Checkout Time in Vegas
BOB!
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

vacant

Re: Songs you wanna see brought back

Post by vacant »

I could get into some Careless, This Fuckin' Job, and Checkout Time In Vegas. In addition how about:

Cottonseed
The Great Car Dealer War
George Jones Talkin' Cell Phone Blues

Clams

Post by Clams »

I sure wish Cooley would play Cottonseed and Daddy's Cup, I think it's been years for those two. Carl Perkins seems to have dropped from his rotation too.

Patterson's pretty good at rotating his songs. I'd love to hear him play Days of Graduation as a lead-in to Ronnie & Neil. Goodbye is one of my favorites of his and he never plays it. Also... When He's Gone and Walter Went Crazy.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cooley plays Cottonseed at his solo shows right?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

"The Kids Are Gonna Love It"??????

Educate me, Smitty The Great!!!!!

walthers

Post by walthers »

Zip City wrote:Cooley plays Cottonseed at his solo shows right?
The two solo shows I have seen he did.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Smitty wrote:Careless
Greenville to Baton Rouge
You and Your Crystal Meth
Checkout Time in Vegas
BOB!
Those are up on my list, too.
vacant wrote:The Great Car Dealer War
That's when the best DBT show I ever saw kicked into high gear, plus it's a great song.
Clams wrote:Daddy's Cup
Even if he needs a teleprompter. Or maybe we should start bringing cue cards to every show and assigning them to someone Cooley-side. Just in case he decides he'd like to sing it.
Clams wrote: I'd love to hear him play Days of Graduation as a lead-in to Ronnie & Neil.
That would be immensely cool! What a great show-opener. We could take bets on when they'd stop teasing us with a full SRO and play something else, too...unless they didn't.
walthers wrote:
Zip City wrote:Cooley plays Cottonseed at his solo shows right?
The two solo shows I have seen he did.
They played it at most of the Return of The Dirt Underneath tour, too.

So along with the ones other folks have on their lists, here in no particular order are the three I'd really like to personally see done at least once:
  1. Three on the Tree (a glimpse into a kinder, gentler past)
  2. Rock Solid Kind of Dude (really, all three Patterson tracks on that record are worthy--and wouldn't it be a kick to hear Trying To Be The Boss?--but especially that one)
  3. The President's Penis Is Missing (which really doesn't need to be in the rotation, but I'd sure like to be there for the once-in-a-decade performance, especially if it's here in Little Rock)
I'm also really curious whether Tough To Let Go and Flight 218 to Denver will become band material or solo material. They are both way too good to not get performed, so I figure those will be on solo records, since we haven't been hearing them with the electric band. I wouldn't mind being wrong, though.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

I have tons for this list, but I will keep it simple:
Daddy's Cup
The Tough Sell

...Didn't someone post a while back, that Cooley more or less said this would never be played again?

John A Arkansawyer

211poundsofpork wrote:I have tons for this list, but I will keep it simple:
Daddy's Cup
The Tough Sell

...Didn't someone post a while back, that Cooley more or less said this would never be played again?
I remember a quote from him saying (roughly--I'm sure this is close but it could be off a little) he quit playing it because it was long and he didn't always remember the words. I can see how that could happen; it's a very long song.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

We need this thread for Isbell
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:I sure wish Cooley would play Cottonseed and Daddy's Cup, I think it's been years for those two. Carl Perkins seems to have dropped from his rotation too.

We got Carl Perkins last Saturday.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Too Much Sex (Too Little Jesus) - Admittedly, they've played this twice fairly recently, but like, this needs to be a once-every-10 shows or so song at least
The Deeper In
Nine Bullets
Everybody Needs Love

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I wonder if they've moved away from "9 Bullets" in the wake of all these mass shootings (or at least since society has become more conscious of them).

I mean its hard to imagine "9 Bullets" being played after hearing "The Guns of Umpqua", ya know .

John A Arkansawyer

Smitty wrote:I wonder if they've moved away from "9 Bullets" in the wake of all these mass shootings (or at least since society has become more conscious of them).

I mean its hard to imagine "9 Bullets" being played after hearing "The Guns of Umpqua", ya know .
That's a good point which hadn't occurred to me. A pity to see a good song go to the wayside, but under the circumstances, I can live with it.

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Daddy's Cup
The Tough Sell

I remember a quote from him saying (roughly--I'm sure this is close but it could be off a little) he quit playing it because it was long and he didn't always remember the words. I can see how that could happen; it's a very long song.
I see what you did there. ;)
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Daddy's Cup
The Tough Sell

He told me at his solo show in Macon Ga that he doesn't do it for the very reasons you referenced. I wish they would bring it back, it's the one song I've never heard live and with the current lineup they could really take that one to some pretty cool places.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

In Birmingham, they played two of the three that had been at the top of my list (Plastic Flowers and Road Cases). Would also love to see The Tough Sell and Great Car Dealer War.

Far and away the song I most want to see live is "Goodbye." I keep hoping they'll break it out at Homecoming at some point.
Let the outside air in

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

John A Arkansawyer wrote: I remember a quote from him saying (roughly--I'm sure this is close but it could be off a little) he quit playing it because it was long and he didn't always remember the words. I can see how that could happen; it's a very long song.
Well for what it's worth I've seen Cooley mess up the words to Marry Me (as recently as Homecoming 2016), Zip City, and Women Without Whiskey several times....and he still plays those :lol:
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

John A Arkansawyer

brett27295 wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote: I remember a quote from him saying (roughly--I'm sure this is close but it could be off a little) he quit playing it because it was long and he didn't always remember the words. I can see how that could happen; it's a very long song.
Well for what it's worth I've seen Cooley mess up the words to Marry Me (as recently as Homecoming 2016), Zip City, and Women Without Whiskey several times....and he still plays those :lol:
True. So I can understand why he'd be hesitant to play a song he feels he's likelier to mess up on than one of those. I might feel the same way, were I in his shoes.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Lisa's Birthday
George Jones
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

pearlbeer wrote:Lisa's Birthday
George Jones
I concur - Mama Bake a Pie too.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Life In The Factory
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

John A Arkansawyer wrote: True. So I can understand why he'd be hesitant to play a song he feels he's likelier to mess up on than one of those. I might feel the same way, were I in his shoes.
I suspect (and of course this is pure conjecture) that he just doesn't want to play the song any more and his response when anyone asks about it is "I can't remember the words".
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

John A Arkansawyer

brett27295 wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote: True. So I can understand why he'd be hesitant to play a song he feels he's likelier to mess up on than one of those. I might feel the same way, were I in his shoes.
I suspect (and of course this is pure conjecture) that he just doesn't want to play the song any more and his response when anyone asks about it is "I can't remember the words".
Could be, I guess, but I'm inclined to take the explanation at face value.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I got my DBT white whale Birmingham at the first Birmingham show and would love to hear the following songs again...

Careless
Greenville to Baton Rouge (only gotten it once)
Cottonseed
Daddy´s Cup

Never gotten Don´t Cock Block the Rock but not expecting them to play that song ever again.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I've been wondering if DBT was getting a little too PC and concerned about not appearing like redneck Southerners recently. I don't mean to spark a shit storm, but their stances seem a little more calculated - not in the way that they're pretending to stand for something they really don't care about, but that they're more concerned with audience perception than they were 5-10 years ago.

It's just hard to imagine early 00's Patterson and Cooley giving two fucks if someone thought a song about wanting to kill the people who make your life hell is insensitive.

They've always championed progressive politics, but in the past 2 years they've gotten really intense about it, compared to the past. Just my $.02. I think this tends to happen to artists at a certain age.

John A Arkansawyer

Iowan wrote:I've been wondering if DBT was getting a little too PC and concerned about not appearing like redneck Southerners recently. I don't mean to spark a shit storm, but their stances seem a little more calculated - not in the way that they're pretending to stand for something they really don't care about, but that they're more concerned with audience perception than they were 5-10 years ago.

It's just hard to imagine early 00's Patterson and Cooley giving two fucks if someone thought a song about wanting to kill the people who make your life hell is insensitive.

They've always championed progressive politics, but in the past 2 years they've gotten really intense about it, compared to the past. Just my $.02. I think this tends to happen to artists at a certain age.
Could be. Or it could be that the times are changing and they're responding to it. We sing this one at church a lot:

Not that I think they should pick that one up (unless they want to, of course), but I wouldn't mind seeing them put this into the set from time to time. It's on my shortlist to work up, once I find a guitarist to play with:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I will be happy to hold up cue cards if Cooley will sing "Daddy's Cup."
Iowan wrote:I've been wondering if DBT was getting a little too PC and concerned about not appearing like redneck Southerners recently. I don't mean to spark a shit storm, but their stances seem a little more calculated - not in the way that they're pretending to stand for something they really don't care about, but that they're more concerned with audience perception than they were 5-10 years ago.

Hmmm...interesting. I think it's pretty clear that Patterson understands he's a more public person now and he's certainly aware of the lightning multiplier impact of social media. I'm not sure of the specific impact of these kinds of concerns, either on what Patterson says or what he sings, but I think you're right that there's something different going on.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:I will be happy to hold up cue cards if Cooley will sing "Daddy's Cup."

Hmmm...interesting. I think it's pretty clear that Patterson understands he's a more public person now and he's certainly aware of the lightning multiplier impact of social media. I'm not sure of the specific impact of these kinds of concerns, either on what Patterson says or what he sings, but I think you're right that there's something different going on.
I was really bummed he didn't grace the Clinton Center audience with The President's Penis Is Missing. ;-) Of course, what makes Patterson and DBT worth listening to on that level is their authenticity (whatever the hell that means). As Tori Amos says, "I know a cat named Easter, he says, 'Will you never learn? You're just an empty cage, girl, if you kill the bird.' "

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:I will be happy to hold up cue cards if Cooley will sing "Daddy's Cup."

I saw this post on a sports related board that has an extensive music forum:
Cooley needs to dump Patterson and just go do his own southern rock band. Patterson is off on his portlandia hipster black lives matter shit.
http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showth ... s-April-16

I don't agree with the poster at all on the first sentence, but I do wonder if being in the uber hipster uber sensitive enclave of Portland has had an effect on Patterson's expression and message. It would be dangerous for him, in terms of public perception, to do anything that would appear tone deaf to that crowd, and I could see that set being offended by a lot of DBT's material for various reasons. You can see my concerns there (same ones I've expressed here before).