New Cooley Shows!

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

New Cooley Shows!

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Pre-sale starts tomorrow at noon ET.

6/21 Chicago IL @ City Winery
6/22 Chicago IL @ City Winery
7/14 Philadelphia PA @ Underground Arts
7/15 Washington DC @ U Street Hall
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Gaetzi

Re: New Cooley Shows!

Post by Gaetzi »

Son of a bitch! I'm flying into Chicago that Friday for Phish at Wrigley but no way I can take the whole week off. Oh well, psyched that Cooley is keeping the solo thing going, hopefully that means more shows in more places down the road.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Clams

Post by Clams »

Awesome. 100% in for Philadelphia. 8-)
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

Philly is a no brainer, and possibly DC.
When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Cooley in Philly!? THIS, I have to see...

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

211poundsofpork wrote:Cooley in Philly!? THIS, I have to see...
I think there's a 50/50 chance it goes like this:
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Clams

Post by Clams »

211poundsofpork wrote:Cooley in Philly!? THIS, I have to see...
It's about time he played a solo show here. Philadelphia will be more than kind to Cooley. And if he's careful, he won't suffer the same fate as McMurtry did a few summers back.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Gaetzi wrote:Son of a bitch! I'm flying into Chicago that Friday for Phish at Wrigley but no way I can take the whole week off. Oh well, psyched that Cooley is keeping the solo thing going, hopefully that means more shows in more places down the road.
Gaetzi, never met you before, but if you want to meet my crew for a beer at one of the 1,000 watering holes around Wrigley just let me know. Or if you need any advice on your travels, just let me know. I am lower level reserved for Friday and GA Field on Saturday. Pavillion at Deer Creek on Sunday. Should be a scorcher.

I'll be shooting to make one of the Cooley shows if there is any chance of me making it, although tough with a three night Phish run (Wrigley x2 and Deer Creek) at the end of said week.
Fuck. I might part with my Deer Creek Sunday tickets now to free up the time for a Cooley show.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

You may regret that offer but you've got yourself a deal! I'll shoot you a message a week or so out. I don't get in until Friday afternoon so lets shoot for a beer on Saturday pre show.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Gaetzi wrote:You may regret that offer but you've got yourself a deal! I'll shoot you a message a week or so out. I don't get in until Friday afternoon so lets shoot for a beer on Saturday pre show.
It sounds like you'll fit right in with my crew :D The wives chose to sit together in the grand stands for the Saturday show, so perhaps we'll be a little better behaved. But Saturday will be Phish show number 50 for me and I'll be dancing in Mother Wrigley's outfield for it, so I'll probably make irresponsible decisions and bring it down in style.

Sorry to hi-jack the Cooley thread mods.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:
Gaetzi wrote:You may regret that offer but you've got yourself a deal! I'll shoot you a message a week or so out. I don't get in until Friday afternoon so lets shoot for a beer on Saturday pre show.
It sounds like you'll fit right in with my crew :D The wives chose to sit together in the grand stands for the Saturday show, so perhaps we'll be a little better behaved. But Saturday will be Phish show number 50 for me and I'll be dancing in Mother Wrigley's outfield for it, so I'll probably make irresponsible decisions and bring it down in style.

Sorry to hi-jack the Cooley thread mods.
So both of you know me and I'll vouche for both of you to the other one. Good people meet good people. Y'all will have a blast.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

211poundsofpork

But how is this venue, Underground Arts? I read some not so rave reviews...

phungi

Post by phungi »

211poundsofpork wrote:But how is this venue, Underground Arts? I read some not so rave reviews...
I hope it is a bit on the nasty side... seeing Cooley in a pristine shiny new theater doesn't seem quite right...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

211poundsofpork

I am with you there, but I was talking about the acoustics, etc.

Clams

Post by Clams »

211poundsofpork wrote:But how is this venue, Underground Arts? I read some not so rave reviews...
I've never been there but I like the neighborhood. I foresee pregame whiskey sours at The Trestle. :)

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Pretty flat room with low ceilings. Sound is average. Nowhere near a pristine theater show. Decent bar.
Dave

njMark

Post by njMark »

Kathleen Edwards/Dawes and Cooley on back to back nights, July is shaping up.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

maybe he's gonna be testing out some of his new solo material?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

In for two in Chi. with Drifter.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

John A Arkansawyer

GW in IA wrote:In for two in Chi. with Drifter.
I just realized it's only a twenty dollar bus ride, round trip, from Little Rock to Chicago and back that week. What's the City Winery like?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
I just realized it's only a twenty dollar bus ride, round trip, from Little Rock to Chicago and back that week. What's the City Winery like?
Not a clue. But for at least 2 nights in June, it should be really cool 8-)
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

John A Arkansawyer

Well, the hotels within a reasonable distance are all way more than I could imagine spending, at least on a first look-see. I do enjoy riding public transit, so I could see staying some distance away from there. Did you find something affordable?

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

No, not really. My buddy from the Chicago burbs pretty much sets things up, but I don't expect it's cheap.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I am in for the Philly show...just bought my ticket.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I have seen a couple shows at City Winery, including Patterson Hood and whichever incarnation of the Rumblers was playing on that tour. The seats are in 2 and 4 person tables, however you could choose however many seats which you would like. I guess the concept of the venue is to incorporate food, drink, and music in to a unique culinary experience. It's a cool experience, however very different from The Hideout in which he played the last time.
The Randolph Street market district in the West Loop where it is located has far better restaurants than actually eating at City Winery, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend as it is overpriced. You can find 15 better meals within a 2 block radius. But to be honest, most people that have attended shows only drank and watched the show.

In regards to the hotel prices, any time within a couple weeks of the Taste of Chicago are a prime time for people to visit Chicago. Many times there are trade shows at McCormick Place and a lot neighborhood street festivals going on. There are many different Chicago train lines that pass near that neighborhood. Both the Oglesvie Transportation Center and Union Station are likely both about a mile walk from the venue. This is important because if you can find a hotel in the suburbs near the Metra station in that town, you can easily ride in and walk, uber, or cab to the venue. You can reference the schedules and stations at http://www.metrarail.com And the best part about the Metra, the expression "Chicago's biggest moving bar" fits. You're freely allowed to drink openly with the exception of after 7 pm on St Patrick's Day, Lollapalooza, and the 4th of July I believe. If you need any advice regarding any specific suburb either TC or myself could help you to the best of our ability.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Oh no....are you staying at The Hostel again?

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Cubfan06 wrote:
I have seen a couple shows at City Winery, including Patterson Hood and whichever incarnation of the Rumblers was playing on that tour. The seats are in 2 and 4 person tables, however you could choose however many seats which you would like. I guess the concept of the venue is to incorporate food, drink, and music in to a unique culinary experience. It's a cool experience, however very different from The Hideout in which he played the last time.
The Randolph Street market district in the West Loop where it is located has far better restaurants than actually eating at City Winery, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend as it is overpriced. You can find 15 better meals within a 2 block radius. But to be honest, most people that have attended shows only drank and watched the show.

In regards to the hotel prices, any time within a couple weeks of the Taste of Chicago are a prime time for people to visit Chicago. Many times there are trade shows at McCormick Place and a lot neighborhood street festivals going on. There are many different Chicago train lines that pass near that neighborhood. Both the Oglesvie Transportation Center and Union Station are likely both about a mile walk from the venue. This is important because if you can find a hotel in the suburbs near the Metra station in that town, you can easily ride in and walk, uber, or cab to the venue. You can reference the schedules and stations at http://www.metrarail.com And the best part about the Metra, the expression "Chicago's biggest moving bar" fits. You're freely allowed to drink openly with the exception of after 7 pm on St Patrick's Day, Lollapalooza, and the 4th of July I believe. If you need any advice regarding any specific suburb either TC or myself could help you to the best of our ability.
Good advice. City Winery are the Hideout are at the opposite ends of the scale, with City Winery being a more uppity high-priced venue with table-side service and $8 and up beers. Its about a mile west directly west of downtown, so most of the high-priced chains and near north side hotels will be the closest to the venue. The suburban route is a good suggestion -- I would suggest Evanston, which has several hotels downtown and lots of food/drink places, but remember that you are tied to the train schedule with limited late night departures.

I'll be at both shows, hope to see some of y'all there.

phungi

Post by phungi »

Anyone go to the Chicago show last night? Full or partial setlist?
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

phungi wrote:Anyone go to the Chicago show last night? Full or partial setlist?
Very solid show last night. I'm guessing the place was about 1/2 or 3/4 full, maybe 200 or 250 people there? I don't think Cooley was as chatty as his prior Chicago shows, but as the evening progressed he started talking more and had some of the ususal zingers. Changed things up on several songs (WWW and Zip City) but that's what helps make these shows so compelling. Cooley dedicated the last song (Everybody Needs Love!) to the LBGT community with a nice short "sermon" that in less than 30 seconds showed why these civil rights issues shouldn't even need to be debated in this day and age. Anyway, great show and I'll be back witht he Ms. tonight for round 2. Set list:

New Song [i'll try to figure out which one when i have more time]
Cartoon Gold
Pulaski
Self-Destructive
Ghost
Marry Moi
Eyes Like Glue
English Oceans
Birthday Boy
Uncle Frank
Cottonseed
Perfect Timing
Gravity
Checkout TIme
Panties
Space City

E: Zip City
Everybody Needs Love

chihio72

Post by chihio72 »

First song was "Flight 218 to Denver". Whole show was well-played but I thought Cooley especially nailed that opener.