Monroe, LA?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

mbernat77

Monroe, LA?

Post by mbernat77 »

So DBT is coming to Monroe which I am very excited about. I saw them 20+ times while living in Georgia before moving here in 2013. However, just an observation, the venue they are playing at is very small. Not sure if all their equipment will fit on the stage which isn't elevated over a foot or two. Will actually be a cool more "intimate" concert, but was just wondering if they are playing smaller settings in general. I recognize places like the Orange Peel, 40 watt, etc. and their capacity, but am not familiar with some of the other places they play in other areas. Either way, I got my tickets and can't wait for another ROCK SHOW in little Monroe.

Eyes Above It

Re: Monroe, LA?

Post by Eyes Above It »

I think they sound better in these smaller places, glad they still play them.

mbernat77

Post by mbernat77 »

I also like them playing the smaller venues, I just hope they know where they're playing. I can just see them walking into this small, however, very nice place, and thinking why the fuck are we here. Haha

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

I used to be an Assistant DM for a music retail chain. I had to travel to Monroe, LA to clean up the shithole store we had there on a regular basis. I always noticed a smell in the air.
Funny thing is, after I left that company, I went to work for a pet supply company. Comes to find out the reptile supply of live crickets comes from Monroe. Crickets smell worse than ass. It all made sense.
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

smell is paper mill...it's worse than crickets :D

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I just learned something interesting. From Little Rock to Monroe is a hair under a three hour drive. If I can't make the extra day and two hour drive to Jackson the next day, it still might be worth the trip. Besides, I've never been to Monroe. So tell me--is that 7:00 PM time on the Outhouse Tickets (I love that name!) page doors or (surely) showtime?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

thats home to Duck Dynasty, am I right? That BLM sign should go over great...
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

John A Arkansawyer

Smitty wrote:thats home to Duck Dynasty, am I right? That BLM sign should go over great...
I think you just talked me into going. A similar concern got me to Tuscaloosa where I bought Love and Theft on 9/11. (I am still trying to shake the false memory--I think it was false, but it's sticking pretty hard--of hearing and then buying SRO that day, too.)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Smitty wrote:thats home to Duck Dynasty, am I right? That BLM sign should go over great...
Never heard a peep about it last night in Tulsa. While they seem to be synonymous, I sometimes despise social opinions in music. Not only ones I disagree with, but all. I just see it as a way to alienate half your audience.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

DiamondDave wrote:
Never heard a peep about it last night in Tulsa. While they seem to be synonymous, I sometimes despise social opinions in music. Not only ones I disagree with, but all. I just see it as a way to alienate half your audience.
Sometimes alienating certain people from your audience isn't a bad thing. I've said it a million times but I'll say it again; if someone is surprised about DBT having that sign onstage, they havent been paying attention to the music anyway.

I 100% support artists presenting their opinions, political and otherwise, through their art.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Smitty wrote: Sometimes alienating certain people from your audience isn't a bad thing. I've said it a million times but I'll say it again; if someone is surprised about DBT having that sign onstage, they havent been paying attention to the music anyway.

I 100% support artists presenting their opinions, political and otherwise, through their art.
Absolutely, positively agree 100% with both your points.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

John A Arkansawyer

DiamondDave wrote:
Never heard a peep about it last night in Tulsa.
That's a very hopeful thing to hear. It was at Cain's in 1983 I saw Rundgren get booed over Lysistrata, and at the Brady in 1982 when I saw Zappa get booed over I Don't Wanna Get Drafted. Not the whole crowd, but a lot of it. The times, are they a-changing? I sure hope so!

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
DiamondDave wrote:
Never heard a peep about it last night in Tulsa.
That's a very hopeful thing to hear. It was at Cain's in 1983 I saw Rundgren get booed over Lysistrata, and at the Brady in 1982 when I saw Zappa get booed over I Don't Wanna Get Drafted. Not the whole crowd, but a lot of it. The times, are they a-changing? I sure hope so!
Agree. And while I may not have been one of the full supporters of that message last night, ( I prefer ALL live matter) I get it. I understand the point.
And Hell, it's supposed to be pretty easy to ignore what you don't like anyway...or so they tell me. lol.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I don't want to go way off course and I'm sure you've heard this before Diamond, but saying "all lives matter" is not a retort to "black lives matter" - it would cause less confusion if it was "black lives matter, too" which is basically what it means anyway.

John A Arkansawyer

Smitty wrote:I don't want to go way off course and I'm sure you've heard this before Diamond, but saying "all lives matter" is not a retort to "black lives matter" - it would cause less confusion if it was "black lives matter, too" which is basically what it means anyway.
Trying to communicate that sentiment and others like it is one of the most challenging things I've done lately. I'm spending a lot of time on it. And it's worth noting that the people I'm having trouble communicating with on it are very good, very decent people. The ones who aren't, I just don't have too much time to deal with lately. But there are a lot of good folks out there who don't get why it isn't "all lives matter", since it's also true.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I love the BLM sign. They don't lay into it, it's just there. And...it is important and admirable for a band like the DBTs to display.

Recent quote from Patterson:

".... I’m a white guy with a southern accent and I’ll be the first to tell you Black lives matter and F. U. if you think otherwise."
http://nodepression.com/live-review/cat ... e-truckers
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

John A Arkansawyer

pearlbeer wrote:

I love the BLM sign. They don't lay into it, it's just there. And...it is important and admirable for a band like the DBTs to display.

Recent quote from Patterson:

".... I’m a white guy with a southern accent and I’ll be the first to tell you Black lives matter and F. U. if you think otherwise."
http://nodepression.com/live-review/cat ... e-truckers
The people who think along the lines of "black lives don't matter" in some way and the people who think "black lives matter" isn't the right slogan are two very different groups of people. The first, I just hope to outlive them. The second, I have some things to talk about with over a few beers.

John A Arkansawyer

I heard back from the owner about showtimes and so on and here's the deal:

Doors at seven. At eight, the opening act is Daniel Smalley playing acoustic. He's a Keith Whitley fan, so he's all right by me! I'm listening to him now via YouTube:

The show will be over elevenish.

John A Arkansawyer

So, should I get a room in Monroe, Jackson, or somewhere between? Don't worry about me driving. I never have more than two if I'm driving.

John A Arkansawyer

I'm liking the opening act. He's doing original material and it's pretty good stuff.

John A Arkansawyer

Eight to fives and ten to threes
Have drained the life from me.
That's good stuff. If he's got a record, I'll buy it.

John A Arkansawyer

John A Arkansawyer

Sinkhole

John A Arkansawyer

Uncle Frank

John A Arkansawyer

They are On Fire!

John A Arkansawyer

Flags.

There is so much joy in the telling of a sad story.

Devil

John A Arkansawyer

Southern thing
English oceans

John A Arkansawyer

Hold on
Mister Cooley just dropped an awesome lick
Patterson is killing the solo!
TFU!

John A Arkansawyer

Sounds better
Mercy! Buckets!

John A Arkansawyer

Marry me!