List of Holy Sites for a Trucker fan

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: List of Holy Sites for a Trucker fan

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Thanks for the update. Hopefully y'all will be able to knock that out someday.

Long ago, there was going to be a full on production of Southern Rock Opera, including the Honkettes as cheerleaders. that was going to be filmed in Texas but for a variety of reasons, it never came to fruition. Apologies if I fudged some of the details, I'm basing this on a thread from the DBT's list on Yahoo Groups from way, way back.

Something I'd love to see is a video fully illustrated / animated by Wes but I imagine that would be far too time consuming to ever be feasible. Sure would be cool to see though. At least we got the DBT's / Ray McKinnon collab on "This Fuckin' Job." If memory serves, he was originally going to do a video for "Sinkhole" but for whatever reason the planets didn't align for that project.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Thanks for the update. Hopefully y'all will be able to knock that out someday.

Long ago, there was going to be a full on production of Southern Rock Opera, including the Honkettes as cheerleaders. that was going to be filmed in Texas but for a variety of reasons, it never came to fruition. Apologies if I fudged some of the details, I'm basing this on a thread from the DBT's list on Yahoo Groups from way, way back.

Something I'd love to see is a video fully illustrated / animated by Wes but I imagine that would be far too time consuming to ever be feasible. Sure would be cool to see though. At least we got the DBT's / Ray McKinnon collab on "This Fuckin' Job." If memory serves, he was originally going to do a video for "Sinkhole" but for whatever reason the planets didn't align for that project.
Weren't the called the Mulettes?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Thanks for the update. Hopefully y'all will be able to knock that out someday.

Weren't the called the Mulettes?
El correcto. Couldn't think of that to save my life.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Something I'd love to see is a video fully illustrated / animated by Wes but I imagine that would be far too time consuming to ever be feasible. Sure would be cool to see though. At least we got the DBT's / Ray McKinnon collab on "This Fuckin' Job." If memory serves, he was originally going to do a video for "Sinkhole" but for whatever reason the planets didn't align for that project.
Something like this? :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

i miss that blog. ^^^^^

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Rocky wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Something I'd love to see is a video fully illustrated / animated by Wes but I imagine that would be far too time consuming to ever be feasible. Sure would be cool to see though. At least we got the DBT's / Ray McKinnon collab on "This Fuckin' Job." If memory serves, he was originally going to do a video for "Sinkhole" but for whatever reason the planets didn't align for that project.
Just for the record I LOVE that video. If videos were still a thing like in the 80's that would have been perfect!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

brett27295 wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Just for the record I LOVE that video. If videos were still a thing like in the 80's that would have been perfect!
I used that video in a sexuality education class for high school kids recently. It's within the bounds of confidentiality to say they were actively engaged with the video and did a very good job of analyzing many of the messages about sex and sexuality it conveyed. (I felt a little self-indulgent using it until I saw how it engaged them. A good and interesting result.)

P.S. The other three videos we used were Call Me Maybe, Hot For Teacher, and Forget You. I think Zip City might have been the most useful for the purpose of the discussion. Another possibly counterintuitive result.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

John A Arkansawyer wrote: P.S. The other three videos we used were Call Me Maybe, Hot For Teacher, and Forget You. I think Zip City might have been the most useful for the purpose of the discussion. Another possibly counterintuitive result.
I use Metallica's One in World History when we discuss the horrors of trench warfare during WWI.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

OldCloverdale

Post by OldCloverdale »

Southern Rock Opera was recorded in Birmingham, upstairs in a uniform shop during an early September heat wave, with no air-conditioning.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

OldCloverdale wrote:Southern Rock Opera was recorded in Birmingham, upstairs in a uniform shop during an early September heat wave, with no air-conditioning.

LitDimly pointed that building out to us after the Friday night show in B'ham last month; I had planned to venture back but never did.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Seeing the building might explain the (cool) echo you hear sometimes in the recording.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I’m in Birmingham now on the way home from the beach. My daughter loves the movie The Miracle Worker about Hellen Keller, so we’re thinking of stopping my Tuscumbia.

Does anyone have a can’t miss restaurant recommendation for Tuscumbia?

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

We ended up at The Pie Factory in Muscle Shoals!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

At Helen Keller’s home I explained that I was a big Mike Cooley fan, and the older women working at the house smiled and told me that Mike Cooley was in her Sunday School class and worked as her dentist!

The metropolis of Tuscumbia apparently birthed two Mike Cooleys!