Tallahassee, FL 5-1-16

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

blackwll

Tallahassee, FL 5-1-16

Post by blackwll »

Due South at Tall Timbers Research Station and Land Conservancy is May 1st featuring the FUTUREBIRDS and Drive-By Truckers!

Tickets go on sale this Friday, March 4th at 11am for both Due South concerts; sponsorship opportunities with VIP Experiences are now available. Head here to learn more: http://www.thomasvillearts.org/annual-events/due-south/

Cole Younger

Re: Tallahassee, FL 5-1-16

Post by Cole Younger »

In.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

They are having Shinyribs (of Gourds fame) in Thomasville the prior week too.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Looking like this might be my long awaited first rock show! Ironing out travel right now, and it's the day after graduation :?

Hyped :mrgreen:
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

LastLawson wrote:Looking like this might be my long awaited first rock show! Ironing out travel right now, and it's the day after graduation :?

Awesome. It should be fun. Kind of a state park type area.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

One of my best buddies from under grad lives in Tallahassee and I'm trying to convince him to go to this show...

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

The most unique Rock Show I've ever seen for a lot of different reasons.

I'll get to all that later. I've gotta work in the morning though and it's late.

Great show. It's great to be alive.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Cole Younger wrote:The most unique Rock Show I've ever seen for a lot of different reasons.

I'll get to all that later. I've gotta work in the morning though and it's late.

Great show. It's great to be alive.
"Just when you think you're out, they pull you back in."

;-)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LastLawson wrote:Looking like this might be my long awaited first rock show! Ironing out travel right now, and it's the day after graduation :?

Been awhile, sir. Did you make the show? Did you graduate?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Sh*t Shot

Post by Sh*t Shot »

Anyone seen a setlist floating around anywhere?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Well I've had a while to think about the rock show last night and first let me say, I'm really glad I was there. As Jonicont says, always go to the show. As late as Saturday night I wasn't sure if I was going or not. My buddy Mike and I had made plans to go a while back, Tallahassee is only about a two hour drive from here (closer than Athens for us down here in the piney woods) and it had seemed like a no brainer. Since then however, I had gone back and forth about going. Mike and his daughter came to our house for supper Saturday night and he asked if I still wanted to go. I didn't really let myself think about it and just said yes. I'm glad I did. For yall who couldn't make it, you missed out.

As I said earlier, this was easily the most unique rock show I've ever attended. First off there was the venue. This show was not actually in Tallahassee. It wasn't in any town. It was out in the woods. Mike had been to this place before as part of his job. He told me it was an outdoor show and described the place as being like a quail hunting plantation/privately owned park. That's not exactly right but it's very close. We turned off the main highway onto a two lane road that wound back into the woods and was flanked by dirt roads. Mike said, "I bet when the bus turned onto this road Cooley looked at Patterson and said, 'What the fuck have you got us into?'" :D We followed a sing into a first drive that brought us into a clearing surrounded by some really pretty woods. I liked it immediately but thought it was a little odd for a rock show.

Next there was the crowd. I can best describe the majority of this crowd as typical South Ga and North Florida folks. Very conservative. Very country. I saw a lot of guys like me and Mike which means guys driving pick ups wearing camouflage ball caps. Lots of guys who were almost certainly frat boys or former frat boys along with their female counter parts. But the oddest part was, I saw a bunch of people that reminded me of my parents. I don't just mean age. I mean dress, demeanor, the whole nine yards. And I saw a bunch of folks that, well let's just say they looked like they were t hurting for money. Lots of Yeti coolers, for y'all who don't know that's the cooler and quasi status symbol of the redneck with money. All of this puzzled me, made me chuckle, and made me a tad concerned. How was this going to go? How would these folks react to the band and how would the band react to them if they launched into Putin People On The Moon etc?

We got something to eat from one of the onsite vendors and made our way down front. With fifteen or so minutes before the opener started, nobody was anywhere near the stage! The stage was positioned in such a way that people a little ways back were actually looking down hill. Think the Georgia Theatre but outside. We made our way down and got a spot on "the rail" which was against a really flimsy barrier put up just in front of the stage. The Truckers' bus was parked just to the left and a little behind the stage. People could have walked right up to it if they had wanted. But nobody did. Behind the stage was a swamp and beyond that a really pretty lake. We were surrounded by hundred year old pine trees and old growth hardwoods draped in Spanish moss. It was beautiful. And I felt right at home.

Futurebirds were the opener. They came out and played an inspired set playing some of my favorites of theirs and a really good cover of Rocks Off.

Finally, just as the sun was beginning to set and nice breeze was cooling things off, the guys walked on stage. Cooley was smiling. Patterson wore a pair of shades the first few songs. They opened with the Living Bubba and went straight into Three Dimes Down from there. They sounded great but seemed to be feeling things out a little. Cooley made the place pin drop quiet with Space City, a beautiful version made even more special by the setting sun.

Everything changed when they played The Riteous Path. I've heard bubba say before that there comes a point in every rock show when you know you've gotten your money's worth. They seem to kick things into a higher gear. This happens around six songs in with Riteous Path. From that point on, it was like being in the middle of a hurricane. The crowd roared as Patterson finished and when Cooley immediately started chain sawing the opening chords of Zip City I thought there was going to be an earth quake. The band was all smiles from that point on. Cooley looked almost surprised as he was drowned out by everybody singing, ..."I got three 350 heads on a 305 engine. I get ten miles to the gallon I ain't got no good intentions..." He looked over at Patterson who then launched into Let a There Be Rock ( I'm almost 100% LTBRimmediately followed Zip City). So where during the song Patterson said, "We got alligators behind us and people in front of us. Maybe it's better that way!" And he sang, "I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd and I never saw The Clash. But I saw Prince on my sixteenth birthday." Patterson, Cooley, and Jay all stepped over the monitors to the very edge of the stage. All smiling and tearing into the song as the crowd roared.

He worked prince lyrics into Hell No I Ain't Happy. The show was balls to the wall. The crowd screamed along with Cooley as he sang Marry Me. It was full on dark when Patterson said, "Y'all we're coming close to curfew and we want to play a few more. Why don't we just dispense with that thing we do where we walk off stage and y'all yell and we come back? Why don't we just go ahead and skip that? What do hall say?" Cooley launched into Shut Up and Get On The Plane and tore into it with such intensity I dang near though I was at Homecoming. Patterson closed things out with the walk off version of Angels and Fuselage which was made even more special by literally playing the song in a swamp.

Walking off stage, Cooley stopped, smiled waved, and blew kisses. Jay was the last on to leave playing something that almost sounded like it was coming from a piano in church.

I'm really glad I was there. I started not to go. I won't go into all that. But I'm glad I went. And I can't wait to do it again. They reminded me why I loved this band so much in the first place. These guys do not play a bad show. They do not play a half assed show. They never fail to give it everything they've got.

Three dimes down was represented even if not in force. I got to meet and talk to Shit Shot before the show. I saw Bogart, who was down on the rail too but over in Cooleyville. I waived but I don't think she knew who I was. It didn't matter it was cool to see familiar faces.

Always go to the show.

It's great to be alive.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Alsum, CY. A real "you are there" feeling. I started slapping the mosquitoes off my arms right here at my desk. :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Sh*t Shot

Post by Sh*t Shot »

There was a cover band playing Toto's "Africa" when we walked through the entrance of the place and onto the green in front of the stage. Not necessarily a good sign of things to come but it turned out to be the perfect spot for a DBT show.

My initial impression was the crowd was pretty thick with wine and cheese patron types with their Yeti coolers and blankets. It was looking more like a tailgate party at an FSU game than a rock show for a while there with most of the people geared for a social breezer with that Americana band with the funny name. What they got was a face melting set from a group that seemed to be on a mission to leave a mark on the crowd as a ROCK BAND and reward those of us who were already converts. When my son and I were walking through the parking lot after the show I overheard a couple comparing last nights show to the Isbell concert that hit Tallahassee a few weeks ago. The wife wasn't impressed and with the DBT's at all and the guy with her said something to the effect of "Isbell quit these guys". Right then a dude walking behind us yelled "no, ma'am they fucking fired him!". I had to laugh and yelled "what that fucker said!"

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Sh*t Shot wrote:There was a cover band playing Toto's "Africa" when we walked through the entrance of the place and onto the green in front of the stage. Not necessarily a good sign of things to come but it turned out to be the perfect spot for a DBT show.

My initial impression was the crowd was pretty thick with wine and cheese patron types with their Yeti coolers and blankets. It was looking more like a tailgate party at an FSU game than a rock show for a while there with most of the people geared for a social breezer with that Americana band with the funny name. What they got was a face melting set from a group that seemed to be on a mission to leave a mark on the crowd as a ROCK BAND and reward those of us who were already converts. When my son and I were walking through the parking lot after the show I overheard a couple comparing last nights show to the Isbell concert that hit Tallahassee a few weeks ago. The wife wasn't impressed and with the DBT's at all and the guy with her said something to the effect of "Isbell quit these guys". Right then a dude walking behind us yelled "no, ma'am they fucking fired him!". I had to laugh and yelled "what that fucker said!"
Thanks, bubba. Wish you had been there.

Lol glad you mentioned the cover band, Shit Shot. We were walking to get something to eat just after arriving. Mike said, "no they didn't. No way." I didn't know what he was talking about and then coming from somewhere in the distance I heard, "I miss the rain down in Aaaaaaaaaafricaaaaa!" Lol. Mike said, "they did!" There were definitely representatives of the Southern wine and cheese contingent. But most of the people I heard talking on the way to the truck were going home impressed. They should have been.

The only gripe I have is that once again, the person who was too drunk to be in public found me. Happens at every rock show. This time it was a woman about my age who shoved me and Mike out of here way, and we are both pretty big guys, got right in between us, and not only ping ponged drunkenly back and forth off of us for the remainder of the show, she wanted me to act like she was acting. I was having a great time and I was into it but I was stone cold sober. I tried to explain that to her but it was like trying to stuff a live rooster in a mailbox getting her to understand.

One observation I had was Jay seemed to be having monitor problems on keys early in the show. He seemed to come as close to getting visibly frustrated as Jay is capable of getting when finally somebody noticed and gave him some help.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cole, great post. really outstanding. they seem to be playing different types of venues recently. fun to read about them.

from all reports, the band seems to be rocking shit hard and thoroughly enjoying themselves.......some things never change.

i do take exception with the yeti disparagement tho. i own 2 yeti ice chests. they are covered with johnny cash stickers, and drams stickers, and lukenbach stickers and earthless stickers. one of them is purple and gold. if you deep sea fish or have hurricanes, you gotta own yeti. ice will last a week in the middle of the summer. i've got 2 yeti beer huggies. best things i have ever purchased. ever. never ever drink a non ice cold beer again. ever. think about that. shit rocks. long live yeti.

i don't drink wine or eat cheese....unless it's american.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

dime in the gutter wrote:cole, great post. really outstanding. they seem to be playing different types of venues recently. fun to read about them.

from all reports, the band seems to be rocking shit hard and thoroughly enjoying themselves.......some things never change.

i do take exception with the yeti disparagement tho. i own 2 yeti ice chests. they are covered with johnny cash stickers, and drams stickers, and lukenbach stickers and earthless stickers. one of them is purple and gold. if you deep sea fish or have hurricanes, you gotta own yeti. ice will last a week in the middle of the summer. i've got 2 yeti beer huggies. best things i have ever purchased. ever. never ever drink a non ice cold beer again. ever. think about that. shit rocks. long live yeti.

i don't drink wine or eat cheese....unless it's american.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

dime in the gutter wrote:cole, great post. really outstanding. they seem to be playing different types of venues recently. fun to read about them.
Agreed on all points! It's also good to hear that the different audiences those venues bring are responding.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

beantownbubba wrote:

Been awhile, sir. Did you make the show? Did you graduate?
Yes to both :mrgreen:

Volunteered as well, so got to hang out behind the stage and bus before the show. Talked with Jay for 15-20 minutes, who was really friendly and chatty. Met Matt (sound) & Cole as well, which was cool. Towards the end I met Cooley... and proceeded to lose all words/ verbal composure :oops: :oops: . He's even cooler in real life, which made it more intimidating!

The show was awesome, but I was a bit sad it was only 1.5 hours... though I'm sure that was the venue's decision. Set list was killer. The live setting made me appreciate Matt's bass playing and Jay's magic even more.

And opening with the Living Bubba gave me chills. Not to mention Cooley's slide playing on that... I have the bug now - can't wait for the next rock show I can go to!!
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

bogart

Post by bogart »

Cole Younger...Hey!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I've only seen the future birds once after a football game; they played my alma mater and about 10 people (no exaggeration) came. I'd really like to see them again. I took a video of the concert that afternoon and I've probably watched it 100 times since then!

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Beaverdam wrote:I've only seen the future birds once after a football game; they played my alma mater and about 10 people (no exaggeration) came. I'd really like to see them again. I took a video of the concert that afternoon and I've probably watched it 100 times since then!
They were pretty good. I have seen them in Waverly a couple of times. They did great covers of Neil Young and Stones songs. Their stuff was pretty good too.

Willie Shotwell

Post by Willie Shotwell »

FWIW, here's a rough setlist for the Tallahassee show. Worked this out with a couple other folks. We're almost certain we got all the songs right, but other than the beginning and end we're not certain about the order of songs in the middle. Maybe Cole or anyone else could help if anything looks too wrong.

Opened with:
Living Bubba
Three Dimes Down

Here the order gets tricky, but in some order:
Heathens
Space City
Sinkhole
English Oceans
Goode's Field Road
Gravity's Gone
Lookout Mountain
Women Without Whiskey
Righteous Path
Zip City
Let There Be Rock
Marry Me
Hell No I Ain't Happy (w/ Sign o the Times in the middle)

and definitely ended with:
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Angels & Fuselage

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Willie Shotwell wrote:FWIW, here's a rough setlist for the Tallahassee show. Worked this out with a couple other folks. We're almost certain we got all the songs right, but other than the beginning and end we're not certain about the order of songs in the middle. Maybe Cole or anyone else could help if anything looks too wrong.

Opened with:
Living Bubba
Three Dimes Down

Here the order gets tricky, but in some order:
Heathens
Space City
Sinkhole
English Oceans
Goode's Field Road
Gravity's Gone
Lookout Mountain
Women Without Whiskey
Righteous Path
Zip City
Let There Be Rock
Marry Me
Hell No I Ain't Happy (w/ Sign o the Times in the middle)

and definitely ended with:
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Angels & Fuselage
Pretty sure that's the entire set list. As you said, the first two and last two are right but in between is jumbled. Those are all the right songs but the order is mixed up.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

What was the new song they played at soundcheck?

I suggested to Gonzalez at the merch tent that they play any Florida-Georgia Line they knew, but he said they did not. The venue was on the FL-GA line. Ha Ha Ha.