Memphis -- Friday, September 17th

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

BostonREB

Memphis -- Friday, September 17th

Post by BostonREB »

Who's in?

Looking forward to my first trip to Mempho!
Send lawyers, guns and money....

mgsooner

Re: Memphis -- Friday, September 17th

Post by mgsooner »

Won't be able to make it, but that's a great city to see the band. Saw them at the New Daisy back in '06 and they put on what is probably my favorite DBT show of all time.

ChicoHarris

Post by ChicoHarris »

I'll be there, and Interstate Barbecue beforehand!

Southern IL Trucker

Post by Southern IL Trucker »

I have got a group of 6 folks coming along for the trip. I love Memphis and have been ready for this show for some time now!!!

The Edge
Location: Back in Akron OH. after 5 yrs. in the "Dirty South"

Post by The Edge »

I'm in. Minglewood is a nice place, should be a great show!
Cheap beer too!!

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Thought it might be time for a check-in...what's the roll call for Memphis looking like?
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I sure hope to be at this show. I drove to Cain's in Tulsa and got there late, near the encore, then left Little Rock on church business just in time to both not get to Minneapolis in time for the Petty/DBT show and miss the Little Rock show where the power went out and they did "Bulldozers and Dirt". The band owes me nothing, but the gods owe me one damned good time at a DBT show, and this is probably my last shot at it for the year for me.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I sure hope to be at this show. I drove to Cain's in Tulsa and got there late, near the encore, then left Little Rock on church business just in time to both not get to Minneapolis in time for the Petty/DBT show and miss the Little Rock show where the power went out and they did "Bulldozers and Dirt". The band owes me nothing, but the gods owe me one damned good time at a DBT show, and this is probably my last shot at it for the year for me.

Let's hope your prayers are answered
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Lurleen McQueen

This is on the venue website for the Memphis show...is there something I should know?

WHAT NOT TO BRING:

•NO Outside Food or Beverage
•Alcohol
•Lawn Chairs
•Video Recording Devices
•Coolers & Picnic Baskets
•Firearms of any kind
•Fireworks
•Glass Bottles
•Illegal Substances of any kind
•Laser Pointers
•Mace/Pepper Spray
•Musical Instruments
•Sharp or Dangerous items of any kind
•Stickers/Decals
•Weapons - of any kind
•Umbrellas
IT IS OUR GOAL TO PROVIDE THE ABSOLUTE MOST FUN AND SAFEST EVENT POSSIBLE.

PLEASE REPORT ANY INCIDENTS TO A STAFF MEMBER AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE

NO MOSH PITS, SLAM DANCING or CROWD SURFING ALLOWED.

WE HAVE A ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY TOWARDS VIOLENCE OF ANY TYPE. ANY INCIDENTS WILL BE ADDRESSED BY THE EVENT SECURITY. ANY PERSONS INVOLVED IN FIGHTING OR VIOLENT ACTS WILL BE REMOVED FROM SITE AND/OR ARRESTED, NO EXCEPTIONS!

Josh F

Post by Josh F »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:This is on the venue website for the Memphis show...is there something I should know?

WHAT NOT TO BRING:

•NO Outside Food or Beverage
•Alcohol
•Lawn Chairs
•Video Recording Devices
•Coolers & Picnic Baskets
•Firearms of any kind
•Fireworks
•Glass Bottles
•Illegal Substances of any kind
•Laser Pointers
•Mace/Pepper Spray
•Musical Instruments
•Sharp or Dangerous items of any kind
•Stickers/Decals
•Weapons - of any kind
•Umbrellas
IT IS OUR GOAL TO PROVIDE THE ABSOLUTE MOST FUN AND SAFEST EVENT POSSIBLE.

PLEASE REPORT ANY INCIDENTS TO A STAFF MEMBER AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE

NO MOSH PITS, SLAM DANCING or CROWD SURFING ALLOWED.

WE HAVE A ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY TOWARDS VIOLENCE OF ANY TYPE. ANY INCIDENTS WILL BE ADDRESSED BY THE EVENT SECURITY. ANY PERSONS INVOLVED IN FIGHTING OR VIOLENT ACTS WILL BE REMOVED FROM SITE AND/OR ARRESTED, NO EXCEPTIONS!

Minglewood is an awesome venue. Lots of open space, good sight lines, and the lines are short for everything (which was nice for me b/c I don't drink and I didn't have to wait forever to get a bottle of water). It's not far from downtown Memphis and all the good restaurants, etc. If you like BBQ I'd hit Rendezvous...the ribs are amazing. http://www.hogsfly.com/

I wish we could make it, but we've got a wedding that weekend. Bummer.

Lurleen McQueen

Does anyone know what time doors open? How's parking?

Josh F

Post by Josh F »

There are some lots right next to the venue, similar to the Tabernacle in ATL or the Variety, but they seem to fill up quick. Last show I saw there we showed up early and got a great spot.

John A Arkansawyer

Am I best advised to buy a ticket on arrival or order one in advance?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Lessnessman

Post by Lessnessman »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:Does anyone know what time doors open? How's parking?

I think Minglewood is always doors at 7, show at 8. They almost always are pretty close to being on time, so I'd expect the opener to be on by 8:10.

Am I best advised to buy a ticket on arrival or order one in advance?

Minglewood is even bigger than the Daisy, so I wouldn't worry about it selling out.

For those of you coming in town for the show and want good BBQ, I'd recommend the BBQ Shop, it's just a couple of blocks down Madison from the venue and on of my favorites.

Lurleen McQueen

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

don't forget lots of pics people!!!!!
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

The Edge

Post by The Edge »

Yes, today, and ready as hell! I hope to get some good pics.
Broke out Big To Do yesterday for the first time in awhile, do to burn out! And have been ready ever since.

You would expect a 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 hr. show here in good ol Memphis after the band being off for a few, if it comes close to the Daisy show from a couple of yrs. back it's gonna be a marathon. They usually open doors 1 hr. before show, around 7.

Expect 90 and sunny but Minglewood is usually nice compared to some of the other places DBT play.

See ya at the ROCK show!

Lurleen McQueen

Hope to be sneaking out of Jacktown in a couple of hours for my three-hour drive. See y'all there.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

The wife and I just picked up our tickets at Minglewood. Looks like a great venue. I will be wearing an Oklahoma t-shirt if any fellow 3DDers want to say howdy. Can't wait for the show!
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Reports? Setlist?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Reports? Setlist?

Probably still sleeping it off!!! LOL :lol:
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

The Edge

Post by The Edge »

My ears are still ringing, great show even though it looked like Shonna was a little under the weather. I have some good pics from the front row, but damn, I can't figure this shit out. Could someone help a fellow 3DDer out?

I'm still a little groggy but heres some songs I remember;
Devil Don't Stay
Wig (personal highlight!)
Drag The Lake
3 Dimes
Feb. 14th
Zip City
After The Scene
Sinkhole
Ghost To Most
Birthday Boy
Downtown
Santa Fe
It's Gonna Be
Puttin People On The Moon
Hell No I Aint Happy
Woman Without Whiskey
Shut Up And Get On The Plane
Buttholeville, (State Trooper) re- Butthoelville
Everybody Needs Love
Living Bubba, I think, and like I said this is not complete and ya'll can fill in the blanks and correct me, cause I think they played a couple of new songs.

Lessnessman

Post by Lessnessman »

Living Bubba opener. There was a new song before shut up and get on the plane, I can't remember what it was called. Also people who died closed. I should have a torrent up sometime this weekend. Maybe today if the Bama game gets too boring.

John A Arkansawyer

The new song was Ray's Automatic Weapon.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Great show! Wife and I had a great time and the Minglewood was a cool venue.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Lurleen McQueen

Just walked in the door from my trip home from Memphis. Running on very little sleep. Broke down and busted physically and emotionally. Let me grab a quick bite of lunch and a 3-4 hour nap and I promise I'll post highlights and goodies from last night!

Lurleen McQueen

This past week had been a particularly difficult one and I awoke Friday morning with a huge sigh of relief that I would be in a rock show that night. Work was hectic and harried, but I got things wrapped up finally and had a smooth three-hour drive to Memphis. My mandatory pre-show stop for coffee at the Tennessee state line got me in the right head space for a long night of rock.

I was pleasantly surprised by the plentiful parking at the venue and was even more pleased that there was not a long line already formed when I pulled in. I didn’t pregame with any 3DDs because I’m on a strict diet that I’m pretty sure doesn’t include Memphis BBQ and I don’t drink, so there you have it…not trying to be unsociable on purpose.

I got inside as the opening act was finishing their last few songs. I stopped by the merchandise long enough to give Craig a quick hug and see if there was anything new – there is and I tell ya more about it later.

Although there were a good number of people inside, the rail wasn’t totally jammed yet. I made my way down front and luckily found a friend (Sean K.) who lurks here, but is always at the Oxford/Memphis area shows. He and another fan from the Mississippi Delta graciously made room for me at the rail. Thank you gentlemen!

As the gang took the stage, I noticed that Cooley is still smoke-free and the clean living has blessed him with a few extra pounds. His cheeks were rosy and he looks great – healthy and happy. He wears it well. The rest of the team was all smiles and the crowd greeted them enthusiastically.

Patterson kicked of the show with “The Living Bubba” and had the crowd singing along from the get-go.

Cooley then launched into the opening chords of “Where The Devil Don’t Stay.” I told my rail-mates, “You know it’s gonna be a good show when they bust out ‘Devil’ so early.” I couldn’t have been more right.

Patterson followed with “The Wig He Made Her Wear.” I just found out that I can’t make the Atlanta show because I have to attend a work function in Orange Beach, Alabama. I hadn’t made the connection until Patterson got to that line. If I can’t be at a Rock Show, I guess Orange Beach will have to do.

Up next, we got “Three Dimes Down” and “Drag the Lake Charlie” followed by “Love Like This.” Strong crowd sing-along on all three. It’s especially nice to hear a loud crowd singing to something newer like “Drag the Lake.”

Patterson had me banging my head, pounding my fists and stomping my feet next to “February 14.” Damn, damn, damn. I love this song. Cooley followed with “Ghost to Most.” One of my favorite lines is “seems to me you’d have to have a hole in your own…”

“Santa Fe” was next. I have such bittersweet emotions about “Santa Fe.” It is my probably my favorite song from “The Big To Do,” but it literally breaks my heart and I was kind of hoping he wouldn’t play it. When Patterson is singing “Santa Fe” it’s almost as if he is an Incan shaman and reaches down into the front row, plunges his hand into my chest and rips out my still-beating heart and holds it over the stage, dripping blood while I watch. The last verse is the killer…”Will you be here waiting for me here in Santa Fe? With arms and obligations and tears along the way. All I have to do is revel in the everyday, then do it again tomorrow.” I look down, surprised to see that my heart is still in my chest, it is still beating, and that warm, salty liquid is just my tears soaking my shirt. Alright pussy girl. Rub some dirt on it, shake it off and let’s get on with the rock show.

Thank God for Cooley who gets me back on track with a rousing “Women Without Whiskey.”

Then, as if I hadn’t had enough with Santa Fe, Patterson begins recounting a story about Eddie Hinton and I know what’s coming next, “Everybody Needs Love.” More tears and then snapped back to rock show mode by Sir Cooley with “Birthday Boy.” Whew.

Shonna takes us up a notch with “Told You So” and Cooley keeps the momentum going with “Get Downtown”. Again, it was so good to see the crowd really seem familiar with all the TBTD material – before long these’ll be classics, too.

Patterson then did a nice, strong “After The Scene” and Cooley rips through “Zip City,” letting the crowd finish the last line…P.S. They weren’t nearly as good as a 40 Watt Crowd Zip City…just FYI.

Now anyone who knows me well knows that Sinkhole is my all-time favorite Trucker song. Those first nine notes just send electric shocks through my brain. I can grab the rail, close my eyes, throw back my head and just “get off in it.” The speaker set-up at Minglewood is really turned away from the rail and toward the back of the room – more than most venues. It made for an interesting sound on the rail – although I got good vocals, I was able to catch some instrumental nuances that I don’t usually get. I really started picking up on these during Sinkhole. During the first verse, my ears were awash with soothing sonic sounds of psychedelic strings. Okay, I just like fucking around with alliteration, but it sounded good, y’all.

Patterson played around with the lyrics, adding the “waitin’ around for it to trickle down” version and wrapping things up with “look the preacher in the eye.” Instead of closing with those last nine notes again, he ripped seamlessly into “Puttin’ People on the Moon.” Nice. I know y’all must be getting sick of me saying this, but I am sincere when I write that the band just keeps getting tighter and better every single time I hear them play. I just couldn’t get over how amazing they sounded – every single guitar solo, every harmony, and every drumbeat – on point and on fire. Patterson closed out PPOM with that classic Patterson Primal Scream after “turnin’ mountains into oceans, putting people on the moo-oon,” screaming and dropping to his knees for the final sweat-flinging licks leading to the intermission.

Patterson started the encore with a smooth “Ray’s Automatic Weapon.” One of my favorite lyrics from “Ray’s” is “I thought that after forty years, I wouldn’t still be having nightmares.” Although I don’t possess the musical terminology to accurately capture it, Brad was doing this really nice military cadence-type beat on the snare that was the perfect accompaniment to the storyline for “Ray’s.” Very nice.

Cooley kept the smooth groove going with a beautiful version of “Gravity’s Gone.”

After “Gravity,” I was sporting a shit-eating grin as soon as I heard the dirty, nasty opening licks of “Buttholeville.” I love “Buttholeville” own its own, but I also love BHV, because it usually signals a launch into one of my favorite covers, “State Trooper.” I know it’s not true, but I swear sometimes it feels like they’re teasing me during BHV…will they or won’t they go “State Trooper”? “What’s it gonna be boy – yes or no?” and….YES! “New Jersey Turnpike…” I’m in rock-and-roll heaven.

And how does the world’s greatest rock-and-roll band follow the BHV/Trooper duo? How’s about a rousing duo of “Shut Up” and “Hell No?” Well played gang.

Patterson signals for Damon to take the guitar and “People Who Died” is on. Until last night, I had never been blessed with the chance to get my PWD shout on. Well we fixed that. My buddy Audra had joined us at the rail mid-show and we giggled like giddy school girls as Patterson crawled over to us for our PWD debut. As if this rock show had not been cathartic enough, I got to smash my sweaty forehead against Patterson’s and scream at the top of my lungs – if that doesn’t cure what ails you, you are shit out of luck my friend. I didn’t find out until this afternoon that my friend Meredith captured the exorcism on film. Whee!

Then it’s done. They’re gone. Ears are ringing. Lights are up and Cinderella’s carriage turns back into a pumpkin.

I made my way back to merchandise to grab the hottest new item going…It’s an awesome black shirt that reads “Dimmer Twins…Silver Jubilee.” Don’t quote me on this – I’m not sure if I’ve got my facts straight, but I think that Cooley drew the picture of Patterson and Patterson drew the picture of Cooley. It’s the new “Hood/Cooley ‘08” and if you aren’t sporting one of these, you are missing out. All the cool kids are gonna be wearin’ em this Fall. Grin. Get you some, y’all.

Well, there you have it. Another life-affirming DBT show in the books. It always seems to come when I need it most – lifesaving – perfect timing. Thank you boys and girl. Thank you.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

GREAT writeup Lurleen!
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Lurleen for MVP!
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

Love that Lurleen...
Love this Band...
I'm ready for some ROCK!!!!!
NSFW