Red Rocks on August 20, 2016

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

TW_2.0

Red Rocks on August 20, 2016

Post by TW_2.0 »

Just announced.

Co-headlining show with Yonder Mountain String Band.

Preservation Hall opening the show.

Full 90-minute set.

I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Gaetzi

Re: Red Rocks on August 20, 2016

Post by Gaetzi »

In

Hopefully they announce a few additional club dates in CO around this one. By no means complaining but last summer we got the rained out Ed Fest and a somewhat longer opening set for the Shakes. I'm jonesing for a hot, sweaty indoor Rock Show!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

walthers

Post by walthers »

I agree, a Filmore show would be great!

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I had been holding out hope for two nights at the Ogden.

You know you've lived in CO too long when one of your favorite band plays Red Rocks but you were really hoping they'd announce a few theater dates :)

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I'm hoping for an Ogden or Boulder/Fox show as well.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Aspen in the summer is pretty effin' nice, I'd be all in for a show at the Belly Up!

walthers

Post by walthers »

The Ogden would be awesome but I just thought there was no way, I suppose we can all keep our fingers crossed!

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Got four in row 29, dead center. Was hoping for something a bit closer but good enough!

The more I think about it, it's a pretty bizarre co-bill. I have a feeling Yonder is probably the bigger draw in CO and will end up closing (which may not be a bad thing, it means I don't have to hang through their whole set. 45 minutes is typically enough Yonder for me)

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Gaetzi wrote:Got four in row 29, dead center. Was hoping for something a bit closer but good enough!

The more I think about it, it's a pretty bizarre co-bill. I have a feeling Yonder is probably the bigger draw in CO and will end up closing (which may not be a bad thing, it means I don't have to hang through their whole set. 45 minutes is typically enough Yonder for me)
Totally agree on Yonder.

Got Row 26, Seats 29,30,31,32

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I wish I could make this show but already have plans to see Pearl Jam>Wilco>Pearl Jam in Chicago.

Everyone who is going…have a great time and tell us about the show afterward. :-)
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I've never seen Yonder Mountain String Band but recommend seeing them if only for Allie Kral who is now a member of YMSB. I saw her when she was in Cornmeal and that was a terrific show.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

We've been wanting to see DBT at Red Rocks for a long time, especially since we've never been to a show there. I'm afraid it's not in the cards this time, unfortunately. The last 2 weeks of August are a blackout period at work meaning it's all but impossible to get time off. We'd have to leave Fri night after work and come back on Sun to pull this off. That's just too much travel and expense for 1 show.

Like Bill said, those of you who will be there will need to be our eyes and ears.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

CooleyGirl wrote:We've been wanting to see DBT at Red Rocks for a long time, especially since we've never been to a show there. I'm afraid it's not in the cards this time, unfortunately. The last 2 weeks of August are a blackout period at work meaning it's all but impossible to get time off. We'd have to leave Fri night after work and come back on Sun to pull this off. That's just too much travel and expense for 1 show.

Like Bill said, those of you who will be there will need to be our eyes and ears.
In 2009 DBT was supposed to play with the Allman Brothers Band at Red Rocks. I immediately got tickets but then shortly after DBT was off the bill and Railroad Earth was the opener. They did add a show at Red Butte Gardens (with Cracker) in SLC, so I stopped there on the drive out from CA and caught a smokin's show at a great venue. Even better, I met UTheathen and we've been thick as thieves ever since!

Red Rocks is a pinnacle for sure. Lucky to have seen three GD shows there in 85 and then several shows there in the last decade. My last three was a run of MMJ and two nights of Neil & Crazy Horse. Got to run with BillfromCT for 4 days, which is always a hoot :D

Seen YMSB a ton in the early 2000s but my interest fizzled out years back.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Bill in CT wrote:I've never seen Yonder Mountain String Band but recommend seeing them if only for Allie Kral who is now a member of YMSB. I saw her when she was in Cornmeal and that was a terrific show.
Allie Kral is fantastic. I have seen her so many times with Cornmeal at random bars in both downtown Chicago and the suburbs. I've only seen Cornmeal since, because they were on the same bill with my buddy's band. That said, Allie was really one of the only reasons to see Cornmeal.

I probably have seen YMSB about 5-6 times in the past. All in clubs in the first part of the 2000's when Jeff Austin was in the band, which I believe was a substantial loss. I am sure Allie is great with them and it will undoubtedly be a fun show. I imagine its really fun to dance to some bluegrass at Red Rocks with some gummy bears dancing on one's brain.

I would love to see DBT at Red Rocks some day. This bill would undoubtedly be fun. I'll be at Pearl Jam at Wrigley . And just maybe Wilco in the beautiful Millenium Park sandwiched between.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I thought Red Rocks was general seating?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

It all depends on the act. At this point Panic may be the last GA band standing at RR. Maybe some of the EDM acts but no idea about that scene. It used to be pretty much all GA but that's been changing over the years. More money to be made and people willing to pay up to lock in good space.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Sounds like an improvement, actually. I've heard the horror stories of people trampling each other in order to "tarp" their seats
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Cubfan06 wrote:I probably have seen YMSB about 5-6 times in the past. All in clubs in the first part of the 2000's when Jeff Austin was in the band, which I believe was a substantial loss.
even though I no longer really care about YMSB I still have a very hard time fathoming the notion of the band without Jeff Austin

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

In. I have been looking for an excuse for a Colorado road trip.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

Looks like I'll be spending a fair amount of time at Red Rocks this summer. Agreed on hoping they play a show elsewhere in CO as well.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

We can work on details later but since it's a mainly reserved show w no rush to get in I'm happy to organize a pregame tailgate for all the 3DD crew that will be in attendance.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Gaetzi wrote:We can work on details later but since it's a mainly reserved show w no rush to get in I'm happy to organize a pregame tailgate for all the 3DD crew that will be in attendance.
In

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: In 2009 DBT was supposed to play with the Allman Brothers Band at Red Rocks. I immediately got tickets but then shortly after DBT was off the bill and Railroad Earth was the opener. They did add a show at Red Butte Gardens (with Cracker) in SLC, so I stopped there on the drive out from CA and caught a smokin's show at a great venue. Even better, I met UTheathen and we've been thick as thieves ever since!
'Twas meant to be.

:P

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Great to see a date for the good folks out in CO...
What about some dates out here in CA?
Been awhile boys...
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Zip City wrote:Sounds like an improvement, actually. I've heard the horror stories of people trampling each other in order to "tarp" their seats
Happily Red Rocks banned tarps in 2013.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

PeterG wrote:Great to see a date for the good folks out in CO...
What about some dates out here in CA?
Been awhile boys...
My crystal ball says nothing until at least the fall, and that's not guarantee, either.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

whatwouldcooleydo?

a friend of mine just forwarded this to me, shot either today or yesterday (at least that's what the email said)

walthers

Post by walthers »

That is awesome! No doubt enough snow yesterday to do that, we got a bunch.

whatwouldcooleydo?

walthers wrote:That is awesome! No doubt enough snow yesterday to do that, we got a bunch.
already shorts weather here in Nor Cal, low 70s at the moment

walthers

Post by walthers »

Oh I know, my dad lives in roseville(I'm originally from sac and went to school in Chico), he rubs it in all the time! Funny thing is, it was 70 degrees on Tuesday. Spring weather out here is odd to say the least!