Red Rocks on August 20, 2016

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

uncle rickey

Re: Red Rocks on August 20, 2016

Post by uncle rickey »

jr29 wrote:
potatoeater wrote:So what's the closer, People Who Died or Grand Canyon? I am guessing PWD.
I hope PWD
I always want this. But with other bands coming up? I'm thinking LTBR

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

uncle rickey wrote:So if there's one more after Zip, what do we think they'll close with? LTBR?
Looks like you got it uncle!
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

I'm sure about four people are going to post this at the same time. Here it is any way.

Red Rocks Set List

Surrender Under Protest
Darkened Flags On The Cusp Of Dawn
3 Dimes Down
Lookout Mountain
Filthy And Fried
The Righteous Path
Made Up English Oceans
Aftermath USA (Rework)
One Of These Days
That Man I Shot
Ramon Casiano
Sinkhole
Kinky Hypocrite
The Bitch Is Back (Elton John)
Shit Shots Count
What It Means
Once They Banned Imagine
The Living Bubba
Zip City
Let There Be Rock

Unfortunately they forgot to play The Distance and Tough To Let Go. But that is OK, it was still a great show and I am most grateful to have got to watch it.
Last edited by potatoeater on Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

uncle rickey wrote:So if there's one more after Zip, what do we think they'll close with? LTBR?

Good call!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Street people !!!!!!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

From the show

DBT Red Rocks

Surrender under protest
Darkened Flags
Three Dimes Down
Lookout Mountain
Filthy and Fried
Righteous Path
English Oceans
Aftermath USA
One of These Days
That man I Shot
Roman Casiano
Sinkhole
Kinky
The bitch is back
Shit shots
What it Means
Once they Banned Imagine
Living Bubba
Zip City
Let there be Rock
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Some quick general thoughts from the video stream:

1. Video looked great...the audio sync was annoying as hell though.
2. Cooley was the MVP tonight, Ramon was SMOKIN'!
3. I didn't really care for the newish arrangements of Aftermath USA & That Man I Shot.
4. ONE OF THESE DAYS!!! enough said.
5. I'm really starting to dig What It Means, especially Jay's organ riffing.
6. I have to wait until November to catch some Rawk Shows...gonna be a long wait.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

brett27295 wrote:Some quick general thoughts from the video stream:

3. I didn't really care for the newish arrangements of Aftermath USA & That Man I Shot.
6. I have to wait until November to catch some Rawk Shows...gonna be a long wait.
I agree with you on the Aftermath rework. I was really looking forward to hearing it based on the one live version of it I had heard before. I think Patterson may still be getting used to the altered lyrics/tempo/arrangement. In some places it seems he is just getting them mixed up. If not for that I think I would really dig the reworked version. I really liked the Man I Shot rework though.

One Of These Days was incredibly good! Probably my favorite from this show.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

brett27295 wrote:Some quick general thoughts from the video stream:

I liked Aftermath. It seemed extra greasy to me.
I also like What It Means more now than when I first heard it. That isn't saying much though.
Agree with the rest.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Jonicont wrote:There is no stage left camera
I noticed they got that stage left camera for the YMSB set.

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

brett27295 wrote:
This is something I've noted in the release, that I hadn't really latched on to in the few times I've seen it live..not sure whether I was't paying attention, or if he was down in the mix...but his playing really stands out on this.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Got a text last night out of the blue that two old friends from college in Bama were there. Lucky MFs!

Flea

Post by Flea »

Rumor has it that my pickle lighter was spotted in Colorado having a very good time WITHOUT ME!
Now it's dark.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Flea wrote:Rumor has it that my pickle lighter was spotted in Colorado having a very good time WITHOUT ME!
I heard a rumor it's on a West Coast tour...

Clams

Post by Clams »

brett27295 wrote:
Flea wrote:Rumor has it that my pickle lighter was spotted in Colorado having a very good time WITHOUT ME!
I heard a rumor it's on a West Coast tour...
I saw that lighter hanging in the Rockies, looked like it was on a hike. No shit, I have a pic.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Clams

Post by Clams »

This was texted to me by an unnamed source.

That lighter's living larger than you are, flea.
Last edited by Clams on Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

:lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The pickle lighter needs a Twitter feed.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The pickle lighter needs a Twitter feed.
From what I understand he' s on tour...he really needs to keep us updated via Twitter :lol:

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

The scuzzy audio we experienced during Righteous Path during the live stream is still there on the live replay. Maybe it will be fixed by the time it goes in to on demand mode. :|

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Does anyone have a capture of the webcast? Thanks! :mrgreen:

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Does anyone have a capture of the webcast? Thanks! :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Can we talk about The Bitch is Back? They played it in both Aspen and Red Rocks. When Cooley started the riff in Aspen, I couldn't place the DBT song. Then I thought, "that sounds like Elton John"....then...it WAS a cover! Have they ever played it before?

The cover both nights was rocking. Great sing along for the crowd.

BUT....Look at the placement, especially at Red Rocks. Patterson belts out The Bitch is Back, right before he plays What it Means. Might just be coincidence, but it seemed to me that he was subtly saying - "F You if you don't like it, but...I'm going to talk about some shit now." Maybe I'm reading too much into it - either way - I love it.

I'm a bitch, I'm a bitch oh, the bitch is back
Stone cold sober as a matter of fact
I can bitch, I can bitch 'cause I'm better than you
It's the way that I move, the things that I do oh

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

I heard that in Aspen he talked about people referring to Hillary as The Bitch, or something along those lines. That context makes sense to me, especially since it is clear they are supporting her now that Bernie is out. I think they cover it great though and am glad it was part of the Red Rocks set.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Clams wrote:This was texted to me by an unnamed source.

That lighter's living larger than you are, flea.
Pickle lighter was definitely at the Aspen show. Mark Lynn and I got our picture taken with it. We were also reminded that it had been in Dr. John's mouth. Didn't know if we were to take that as a compliment or a gross out!
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Some random thoughts from Red Rocks-

Weather was perfect. Saturday was the nicest day we've had all summer and Sat night was crisp and cool without a cloud in the sky. Felt like the first hints of fall were on the way.

A good buddy of mine is friends w a guy who helps promote Panic Red Rocks so we got the last minute VIP hook up. Rows 10-15 w lots of space. That was cool

I've seen Preservation Hall Jazz band in NOLA before, it was really cool to see them at RR. They were a great opening act.. Good energy, just a lot of fun and a great way to kick off the evening.

I still have no idea how DBT ended up on a bill with Yonder Mtn. It couldn't have been a more drastic shift in musical styles. You get this loud, rocking guitar driven set from DBT then Yonder Mtn comes out w acoustic instruments playing jammy bluegrass music. It just didn't work, IMO. And it was clear there wasn't much overlap w the crowd. People were either there for Yonder and sat through the Truckers set or there for the Truckers and sat through Yonder (we left 30 minutes into their set. I think a bunch of Truckers fans started trickling out) I don't dislike them but I was there for the Truckers. 30 minutes of jam grass was plenty. and it's always good to beat traffic getting out of there.

So on to the DBT set- the band sounded great and came out rocking (don't they always? They're really an amazingly consistent band that brings it 100%, every night) - I do have to question the call to play so much new music though (music only us crazies have heard via archive.org, etc)- 7 out of 20 tunes, or about 30% of the set. On one hand I love and respect it. The new tunes are great, the band is psyched on them and they're spot on relevant to what's going on in the world today. But the flip side.. 1) you have a chance to win over a lot of casual fans or people that just know the classics that are there for Yonder. and then 2) It's Red Rocks, 2-4 of our crew hadn't seen the Truckers and that was kind of the theme w everyone we ended up hanging out with. And I think all of us sold it on the first timers that the Truckers are this band where everyone sings along and really gets into it. Which is tough when you've never heard a lot of the material. If you're playing a 2+ hr show and the album is out, that's a bit different than playing 7 tunes off an album not out yet during an abbreviated set. for example, the crowd didn't really come alive until 3DD. And that's where it all clicked w the first timers "Ahh, I get it now. I see why you love these guys"- And the closing Zip Citty, Let There be Rock. Fuck. Yeah. Thats a Truckers show. All the hardcore guys w us were like "OK, last 30 min of the set, they're going to just melt our faces" and it was more new material. By no means am I trying to knock the band, just an observation from someone who was there w a lot of first timers. That said, the new material is all killer and it sounds great live. My favorite of the bunch was the new Cooley tune I had never heard. The Kinky tune. It was a bit poppier and less dark than the others with more of a rag time feel, heavy on keys. Psyched to relisten to that one. The cover of Bitch was also great. As I ramble... One of These Days is a top 5 DBT tune for me, always love to hear that one and Shit Shots Count also got Red Rocks on their feet and rocking. From the Patterson dept- Lookout Mtn, Sinkhole, Living Bubba.. Always all songs I'm psyched to hear live.

and lastly, from the minutia dept, I think Cooley played 5 different guitars Sat night. He's got a black SG I've never seen plus that beautiful tan hollow body Tele along w the usual Baxendale, Flying V and his Cooleybird acoustic.

I must say, a 90 min set in an outdoor setting really left me jonsing (almost needing) more. Glad the band will be touring pretty heavily, I need some more of the Rock Show in my life. The rowdy, loud, hot, sweaty kind.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

I don't know if anyone cares but I have been working with the stream stuff since it ended. A few facts about the stream I want to share.

1. The scuzzy audio at end of Righteous Path and beginning of MUEO is still there even on the on-demand stream. I figured since there was almost a 24 hour delay between the show ending and it going on-demand mode they would use that time to fix errors such as this. I guess not.

2. The show was apparently captured using 1080p high speed cameras. The on-demand transport stream I captured, just the Truckers 90min set, was over 25GB @ 1920x1080/240FPS and averaging 50-60,000kbps bit rate. MPEG video and MP2 audio at 128kbps...not sure if that is a CBR or VBR on the audio but MP2 compression is a lesser ratio than MP3 so quality isn't too bad.

I appreciate that TG uses such high quality equipment but the angles did suck. The center stage, behind the audience angle often has people walking in front of the cam and blocking the view.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I was surprised as well with the YMSB/DBT overlap. I watched about an hour of the YMSB show and really enjoyed it, but left a bit early to beat traffic. I was shocked to see the parking lot about half empty. Lots of Truckers fans at that show. A few people in the stands, even just casual fans commented that DBT should have been the headliner. I enjoyed the new stuff, but agree that a few more staples might have won over a few new folks from the crowd. Still a great show.

On a side note: Yeah, about an hour of Bluegrass JamBand from YMSB is enough for me, but damn....those guys can play!

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

BigTom wrote: Pickle lighter was definitely at the Aspen show. Mark Lynn and I got our picture taken with it. We were also reminded that it had been in Dr. John's mouth. Didn't know if we were to take that as a compliment or a gross out!
I'd go with B.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Gaetzi wrote:So on to the DBT set- the band sounded great and came out rocking (don't they always? They're really an amazingly consistent band that brings it 100%, every night) - I do have to question the call to play so much new music though (music only us crazies have heard via archive.org, etc)- 7 out of 20 tunes, or about 30% of the set. On one hand I love and respect it. The new tunes are great, the band is psyched on them and they're spot on relevant to what's going on in the world today. But the flip side.. 1) you have a chance to win over a lot of casual fans or people that just know the classics that are there for Yonder. and then 2) It's Red Rocks, 2-4 of our crew hadn't seen the Truckers and that was kind of the theme w everyone we ended up hanging out with. And I think all of us sold it on the first timers that the Truckers are this band where everyone sings along and really gets into it. Which is tough when you've never heard a lot of the material. If you're playing a 2+ hr show and the album is out, that's a bit different than playing 7 tunes off an album not out yet during an abbreviated set. for example, the crowd didn't really come alive until 3DD. And that's where it all clicked w the first timers "Ahh, I get it now. I see why you love these guys"- And the closing Zip Citty, Let There be Rock. Fuck. Yeah. Thats a Truckers show. All the hardcore guys w us were like "OK, last 30 min of the set, they're going to just melt our faces" and it was more new material. By no means am I trying to knock the band, just an observation from someone who was there w a lot of first timers. That said, the new material is all killer and it sounds great live.
My thoughts exactly.

I had a blast and the guys sounded amazing, but the set list (based on the limited set time they were given) was too heavy on the new tunes in my opinion.

But what do I know - plus, I think they sound so tight as a unit right now, that I really don't care WHAT they play.

That Aspen set list, on the other hand...looked like a monster.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll