Drive-By Truckers Gig Posters Archive

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brett27295

Drive-By Truckers Gig Posters Archive

Post by brett27295 »

This is kind of a random stream of thoughts (probably from the cold medicine):

Drivey-By Truckers Gig Posters Archive...does such a thing exist? Wouldn't it be great to see images from all the DBT gig posters over the years all in one place? I love the Freed posters but I only buy them for shows that I attend and there are so many others I've seen online or on Facebook announcing a tour/show. When did Wes start doing posters for DBT? Maybe it's just me but I would love to be able to have some sort of database of DBT concert posters.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

psychobillycadillac

Re: Drive-By Truckers Gig Posters Archive

Post by psychobillycadillac »

I was thinking the same thing the other day as I was framing up this years homecoming poster. It would be cool to have a buy/sell/trade component to the database as well so folks could find the posters that slipped away or sold out at the shows before they could get one

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Love the idea. Devil's advocate - there are a shit ton of sellers on ebay who reprint old posters and sell them as "original." I wonder of Wes/DBT might be wary of an archive where some dickneck could do that.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

For what it's worth the archive I have pictured in my head is just digital images sorted by year (or tour, venue, etc). Nothing hi res enough for anyone to make copies. Besides if someone really wanted to produce knockoff Freed DBT posters they would. I doubt there's enough of a demand for it though.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Does anyone know when DBT began selling Freed posters at shows?

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

I think the first album cover Wes did was Southern Rock Opera so I would imagine that they started appearing around that era. My own personal collection starts with the Atlanta shows of the first Dirt Underneath tour. I'd seen the band a lot prior to that but that was around the time in my life where I was starting to actually make money and wasn't moving to a new place every 4-6 months and could afford to purchase things like that. I'm sure that Jenn or someone closer to the band could shed better light on the situation though.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

As late as 2008, Wes Freed did some but not all of the DBT posters. I know this from the following site:

http://www.expressobeans.com

I don't remember exactly when Wes Freed started doing all of the DBT show posters.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

OldCloverdale

Post by OldCloverdale »

If anyone know how I can buy one, I want a copy of this poster:

Hud

Post by Hud »

A few years ago I was trying to find posters for shows I had attended. I emailed Wes and he helped me out with a couple, plus I bought one of the Keith and Ronnie prints.
I believe he checked with the band inventory first before selling me the more recent one that I forgot to buy.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Hud wrote:A few years ago I was trying to find posters for shows I had attended. I emailed Wes and he helped me out with a couple, plus I bought one of the Keith and Ronnie prints.
I believe he checked with the band inventory first before selling me the more recent one that I forgot to buy.
I wish I had thought of this years ago. I didn't start collecting DBT posters right away. I didn't buy the poster the first time I saw them or at my first Homecoming. I've collected every other show/tour I've attended and have many of them in gorgeous custom-made frames from Warren Wolff.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

It would be nice if there was one central place where past tour dates, photos, posters, articles, etc. could be archived. One of These Days is still sorely missed. It was a tremendous resource that I referenced frequently.

On the poster tip, I have at least a couple of them from the Southern Rock Opera era. They were not Wes creations per se, they included the Southern Rock Opera artwork with a space at the bottom to write in the show info. I've posted them on FB before. This is from Firebelly Lounge in Wilmington, NC from 2001. I had just seen them a few months before at Pine Hill Farm in Durham, the first acoustic show they did there. BTW, I believe I've seen some old Capital City Barn Dance posters Wes did long ago but they weren't solely devoted to DBT, they included other bands (like Dirtball) as well. They may be on his website somewhere.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Would love to get posters of some of the other shows I saw. Asheville 2006 (Orange Peel, first show), Asheville 2007 (Thomas Wolfe Aud w/ Bobby Bare Jr), Richmond 2008(9? - w/ Bloodkin)
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:It would be nice if there was one central place where past tour dates, photos, posters, articles, etc. could be archived. One of These Days is still sorely missed. It was a tremendous resource that I referenced frequently.
The loss of the One Of These Days website was a huge blow to the DBT community. It was an awesome resource.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

If you're looking to buy old DBT show posters check directly with Wes. I just bought the Ziggy's 2011 and Homecoming 2012 posters I was missing. :D

artood2

Post by artood2 »

Wes is the man. He helped me with 2 Fillmore GTBA show posters.

OldCloverdale

Post by OldCloverdale »

Hud wrote:A few years ago I was trying to find posters for shows I had attended. I emailed Wes and he helped me out with a couple ...
Thanks for the tip! I sent him a Facebook message, sent him a check and got my signed poster this past weekend.

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

Patterson wanted an archive at some point, but it was too much for me to handle. Wes is prolific as hell and I couldn't keep up with the amount of posters he was putting out, much less dates and relevant information. Not only that, but we don't have digital versions of the early posters, so there would be much scanning involved, which takes forever. If I were retired or unemployed that would be an excellent project, but I am not... and I miss One Of These Days like crazy too. And yes, Wes can sometimes help if you're looking for an older poster.

-Jables
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Jenn wrote:I miss One Of These Days like crazy too.
Quoted for Truth. We really lost something when that site went dark.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life