Brooklyn March 6-7

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Gaetzi

Re: Brooklyn March 6-7

Post by Gaetzi »

I don't care what people here say about you Clams, you're all right by me :)

Great pics and write up!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

CooleyGirl wrote: Very excited to get Company I Keep, Girls Who Smoke( which is both mine & Kevidently's jam & we were together to enjoy it) & Play it All Night long. Surrender Under Protest keeps getting better & better. Love it when Jay, Patterson, Cooley & Matt come to the front of the stage to sing the chorus. I don't know all the lyrics yet but one line I love is " compelled but not defeated". It feels like a battle cry & everyone delivers that line with such passion you can't help but yell along at the top of your lungs.

Big shout out to the Matador, the sound was crystal clear up front last night.
If we get Life in the Factory, Do it Yourself, Pulaski or People Who Died, I apologize to anyone standing near me as I may just lose my shit. Anything can happen night 2.
You did, indeed LOSE YOUR SHIT at "People Who Died," which was awesome to watch (and be a slight part of). I agree about the chorus for "Surrender Under Protest." One thing I loved best about the cover of "Like a Rolling Stone" is all of them singing in harmony; it's why I love seeing "Hell No" live.

Unsure why "Girls Who Smoke" is my jam. I mean, it's DBT going kind of New Wave and it's a little weird and fun and I LOVE IT. Almost as much as "Women Without Whiskey," which, yes, I cried at (again). I explained last night: "I don't get it. I don't really drink much and I'm not into ladies, but that song kills me."

Night one was a Class-A Rock Show for me. I went into it hyped as hell and was not disappointed. In Cooleyville for the first time ever, which allowed me some quick shots (I tend to take pictures quickly so I remain in the moment for the show). I love that they're playing the new stuff - right now, "Ever South" seems to be my favorite, but all of them are kickass. I got "Pauline Hawkins," which is always a burner for me. I screamed to Cooleygirl, "I BASED A BOOK ON THIS SONG. IT'S A LONG BOOK!!" Yes, I know the song is based on a book. Circle of literary life! I screamed so loud.

But night 2 was transformative. I had trouble sleeping after the first show and spent a day touring NYC with my man, so I was exhausted when I got there. They did NOT let me stay exhausted. A lifetime first for "Bulldozers & Dirt," which turned into a singalong due to Patterson's voice (which I thought was gravelly but not bad). "People Who Died" was balls-out nuts. He HANDED the MIC to Sarah and Luke and I was like, "HOW IS THIS NIGHT REAL?" "Hearing Jimmy Loud" and a classic story from Cooley about "First Air of Autumn" - a funny, upbeat, silly story about cross-shaped earrings, and then he ends with, "eh, but it's about suicide." BAM, right into the song.

Homecoming was and is always otherworldly, but these Brooklyn shows were something else. The ONLY way Providence can top them is if I get a dream setlist including "Why Henry Drinks," "Natural Light," "One of These Days," and, why not, "Drag the Lake Charlie." But I'm expecting nothing less than rock show fantastico. Which I always get.

See y'all in little Rhody!

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Clams wrote:that cool little Gene Autrey acoustic
Clams, what a killer writeup. Thank you so much for this. As for that Gene Autrey acoustic: I know NOTHING about guitars, and that thing thrills me every time I see it.

SO great to see you last night! Let's do it again soon!

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Kevidently wrote:Unsure why "Girls Who Smoke" is my jam. I mean, it's DBT going kind of New Wave and it's a little weird and fun and I LOVE IT. Almost as much as "Women Without Whiskey," which, yes, I cried at (again). I explained last night: "I don't get it. I don't really drink much and I'm not into ladies, but that song kills me."
Oh, I can explain that. One night on the Return Of The Dirt Underneath, Cooley explained to us that "Women Without Whiskey" is really a show tune. You're welcome.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Kevidently wrote:Unsure why "Girls Who Smoke" is my jam. I mean, it's DBT going kind of New Wave and it's a little weird and fun and I LOVE IT. Almost as much as "Women Without Whiskey," which, yes, I cried at (again). I explained last night: "I don't get it. I don't really drink much and I'm not into ladies, but that song kills me."
Oh, I can explain that. One night on the Return Of The Dirt Underneath, Cooley explained to us that "Women Without Whiskey" is really a show tune. You're welcome.
The gay in me always wins!

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
And another song about suicide, yes? The slow kind.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Sorry for the late response here, I had a bigger post that got eaten on the train ride home yesterday. I just wanted to echo the sentiments in the posts above, but especially Bubba, Clams, and Kevin's. You guys captured these nights beautifully, especially this slightly edited quote:
Clams wrote:All I can say is you had to see it, it was that crazy, it meant something really important to all of us, and it was 100% real.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

And just so I'm not leaving it too mushy, a funny story from night two. It's fun down front to watch Cooley between songs, as he often does a little third base coach pantomime to alert the other guys to what song he's about to play. He'll do a pool cue motion for Shit Shots Count, a little birthday hat for Birthday Boy, a Karate Kid paint the fence motion for Primer Coat, that sort of thing. On Monday night after What It Means he turned to Easy B and gestured... something. Brad leaned forward on his stool and mouthed "What?!" and turned quickly to Patterson who kind of shrugged, palms upward, shaking his head. Cooley then stepped over and told the guys what song it was and everybody started cracking up on stage. Said Patterson with a laugh into the mic, "We're still learning the new signals." "It's a good one," said Cooley with a shit-eating smile. :lol:

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

uncle rickey wrote:It's fun down front to watch Cooley between songs, as he often does a little third base coach pantomime to alert the other guys to what song he's about to play.
I recall the fore-finger / thumb "pistol" to the side of the head as a signal for "Self Destructive Zones"

Mrs. SR and I hope to see you and CG this PM.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

uncle rickey wrote:It's fun down front to watch Cooley between songs, as he often does a little third base coach pantomime to alert the other guys to what song he's about to play.
One of my favorite things about DBT shows (and there are plenty) is watching Cooley and figuring out his signals for songs.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Here's a clue: Three fingers means Three Dimes Down.

You just know you can count on me when the going gets tough. ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

phungi

Post by phungi »

I can't recall the story or song, but Cooley said a two-liner, which he followed up with: "which means: fuck you"

He was wonderfully chippy on Monday!
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Talked to Barbe after (he's kinda been around awhile) "show was off the charts"
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

phungi wrote:I can't recall the story or song, but Cooley said a two-liner, which he followed up with: "which means: fuck you"

That was cooley explaining that they hadn't played "Hearing Jimmy Loud" for a long time but they did play it the night before (and patterson chipped in "and the night before that, too") but the band liked playing it so they were going to play it again, which basically means "fuck you" [to the audience]. But it was said w/ love.

phungi

Post by phungi »

beantownbubba wrote:
phungi wrote:I can't recall the story or song, but Cooley said a two-liner, which he followed up with: "which means: fuck you"

That was cooley explaining that they hadn't played "Hearing Jimmy Loud" for a long time but they did play it the night before (and patterson chipped in "and the night before that, too") but the band liked playing it so they were going to play it again, which basically means "fuck you" [to the audience]. But it was said w/ love.
Thank you btb! Great meeting you in Brooklyn.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

That was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Always go to night 2. Clams and Bubba and Kevidently have all tried to explain it and did a great job. I echo all of their sentiments. It was non-stop craziness the whole show, in an excellent way. Lots of stories and jokes. Cooley was especially on fire with the sarcastic jokes and totally random stories. I didn't see any tapers but I sure hope a recording materializes at some point. It was just fantastic.

Kevidently is right, I did lost my shit for People Who Died. Wyatt (guitar tech), David Barbe and Thayer Sarrano all came out to play on it. That song is always my favorite way to end the show. That night it was even more special. It started with a tequila shot from the bottle Patterson passed around, and then he basically sang the song while down on his knees in front of Luke and I. He had us yell the chorus into the mic, and at separate times, Luke and I were forehead to forehead with him. Toward the end he did something he's never done with us before. He handed Luke the mic, and I don't mean he stuck the mic in our face, he literally handed it to Luke and closed Luke's hand over it and then let go. We were both in shock. It wasn't quite the right time in the song for it, but I figured, what the hell, I'll add 2 more names to the list of people who died that we miss. I don't know if anybody heard it, but I yelled Bryan Bernfeld and Ben Rudin. I hope I didn't overstep my bounds with that.

When the band left the stage that night, after Thayer and Jay had played those keys so passionately during PWD I thought they would surely break, it was over, and I felt like I had been run over by a truck. I mean that in the most positive way. It was fantastic. This is why we keep going back night after night after night.

The people we've met and formed lasting friendships with are another big draw to the shows. I think you can catch a glimpse of that in the picture of Bubba and Clams that is going around, for those of you who haven't met them, Bubba is on the left and Clams on the right. Their smiles sum everything up.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

brett27295 wrote:
One of my favorite things about DBT shows (and there are plenty) is watching Cooley and figuring out his signals for songs.
Agreed. I missed what the symbol was but I know the song that nobody knew the symbol for yet was Surrender Under Protest. I'm going to have to watch carefully to see if I can catch the symbol the next time he plays it.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Clams, Headhunter, SterlingBigMouth, Bubba, yours truly
Always go to the show

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Surprising about Hearing Jimmy Loud- If I'm reading these posts right, Cooley stopped playing it because the audience didn't like it? From day one I thought it was a classic Cooley ripper and was bummed it got shelved as quick as it did. I don't know anyone that didn't dig that song live. Regardless, glad it's back.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Jonicont wrote:Image

Clams, Headhunter, SterlingBigMouth, Bubba, yours truly
Brooklyn, sure, but not Homecoming. :evil:
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Gaetzi wrote:Surprising about Hearing Jimmy Loud- If I'm reading these posts right, Cooley stopped playing it because the audience didn't like it? From day one I thought it was a classic Cooley ripper and was bummed it got shelved as quick as it did. I don't know anyone that didn't dig that song live. Regardless, glad it's back.
No, he wasn't giving a reason for why he stopped playing it. It was more along the lines of, I know I played this one last night but I feel like playing it again tonight so fuck you if you don't like it. Typical Cooley sarcasm.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

phungi

Post by phungi »

Clams wrote:
Gaetzi wrote:Surprising about Hearing Jimmy Loud- If I'm reading these posts right, Cooley stopped playing it because the audience didn't like it? From day one I thought it was a classic Cooley ripper and was bummed it got shelved as quick as it did. I don't know anyone that didn't dig that song live. Regardless, glad it's back.
No, he wasn't giving a reason for why he stopped playing it. It was more along the lines of, I know I played this one last night but I feel like playing it again tonight so fuck you if you don't like it. Typical Cooley sarcasm.
agreed... as btb reminded me, he said something along the lines of "we don't play this very often" after which Patterson said something about playing it the night before, and then PH or someone else said something else off mic... Cooley then said smiled and said "well, we played this last night and the night before that... oh well, fuck you" with a big smile and went into the song.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

phungi wrote: Great meeting you in Brooklyn.
Andy you. As always, never enough time, but at least I no longer have to say that I've never met you.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Here are some pics making their way around the interwebs that'll give you guys a better idea of what was going on during People Who Died the other night

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Flea

Post by Flea »

Clams wrote:
Get a room.
Now it's dark.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »