Brooklyn March 6-7

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smack_Adams

Re: Brooklyn March 6-7

Post by Smack_Adams »

Kick her butt off the fence. We can't have this ticket going to waste!

Smack_Adams

Re: Brooklyn March 6-7 EXTRA TICKET

Post by Smack_Adams »

uncle rickey wrote:
Smack_Adams wrote:Howdy. Have an extra ticket for Sunday night. It's yours for the lesser of face value or the cost of a couple shots of whiskey.

Any takers?
I may take you up on this. Got a Brooklyn friend who's been waffling on whether she wants to join us or not. Will shoot you a PM if she gets off the fence. If somebody else beats her to the punch that's fine too.
Kick her butt off the fence. We can't have this ticket going to waste!

wordmeester

Post by wordmeester »

In for night #1...haven't seen them since Tarrytown...can't freakin' wait...

charlie

Post by charlie »

Any idea what time they are taking the stage tonight?

Clams

Post by Clams »

charlie wrote:Any idea what time they are taking the stage tonight?
It was 10:15 at both of the Washington shows.
If you don't run you rust

charlie

Post by charlie »

Ha looks like a late night for This square

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Any chance for a stream tonight?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Not a chance. Very strict
Always go to the show

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Tornadoes
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Goode's Field Road
Space City
The Sands of Iwo Jima
Shit Shots Count
The Company I Keep
Surrender Under Protest
Ever South
Made Up English Oceans
The Righteous Path
Women Without Whiskey
Pauline Hawkins
Hearing Jimmy Loud
Play it All Night Long
Encore:
Birthday Boy
Girls Who Smoke
Zip City
Let There Be Rock
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Angels and Fuselage

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Really fine show tonight. Loved that they were clearly going to end it w/ LTBR but decided to keep going presumably in part because the crowd was insanely responsive and loud.

I may be overstating things a little but I thought the opening 6 or 7 songs were sort of a history of 20th century Alabama (but w/out Southern Thing, Ronnie & Neil and a few others that would have made it more obvious and complete). I thought that was an interesting way to open a stand in NYC :)

Based on DC I was a little surprised that they did only 2 new ones. That's not a complaint; it would have been fine either way.

Jay was much more guitar much less keys than other recent shows but i thought he made a great impact on keys. His organ work on Space City was just outstanding, taking off from where Booker T left off on Potato Hole.

Less is more dept: I thought Cole's understated lighting on Sands of Iwo Jima (just steady greens and blues, no switching or flashing) was absolutely perfect, especially when Cooley chimed in on harp. Mattador's work was typically excellent. Crystal clear on the instrumentation, some of the vocals were less clear than others but it was all fine or better for those of us who already know the songs.

Goode's Field Road continues to get the funk treatment but always in interesting new ways or at least new colorations. The chunky guitar chording was terrific tonite and matt was, well, matt. Righteous Path continues to impress in its current incarnation. Cooley's vocal on Zip City was impassioned. The Company I Keep was stellar. I continue to love the Birthday Boy/Girls Who Smoke double and both were first rate tonight especially Birthday Boy. I'm not certain, but I think they added an extra instrumental break for Jay which was a good thing. Angels & Fuselage was cacophonous in a good way - lots of distortion and layers of sound. Hearing Jimmy Loud wasn't a surprise since they played it in DC but it was still nice to hear for the first time in a while for me. Play It All Night Long is always a treat and I still can't believe it's not a DBT original; it's just so perfect for them. That's 2 nites in a row they ended the main set w/ a cover. That strikes me as unusual but i don't have any stats on the subject handy.

Soeaking of Matt, when Jay's playing background on either guitar or keys, the 3 man rhythm section is reaching new heights almost song to song. Great stuff, just a pleasure to listen to and imcredibly propulsive and soulful.

Cooley and Hood, and especially Cooley, seemed to be having an awful lot of fun. Lots of smiles going round and that always makes the experience that little bit more special.

Just another routinely great nite from the Drive By Truckers.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Great review!

Clams

Post by Clams »

The Clams Shuttle will be departing Ardmore PA at 2:00pm and picking up delinquents along the way in Wynnewood PA, Radnor PA and Metuchen NJ. Anticipated arrival in Brooklyn 5:00-530. 8-)

Edited: actually that's three delinquents and one nice young lady.

phungi

Post by phungi »

Clams wrote:The Clams Shuttle will be departing Ardmore PA at 2:00pm and picking up delinquents along the way in Wynnewood PA, Radnor PA and Metuchen NJ. Anticipated arrival in Brooklyn 5:00-530. 8-)

As passenger on the Clams' 3/4 Delinquency Mobile, I am looking forward to seeing the many familiar and new faces one finds at a HeAthens Hangout.

Was the start time 10:15 last night?
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Clams wrote:The Clams Shuttle will be departing Ardmore PA at 2:00pm and picking up delinquents along the way in Wynnewood PA, Radnor PA and Metuchen NJ. Anticipated arrival in Brooklyn 5:00-530. 8-)

I resemble that remark.
Dave

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

phungi wrote:

As passenger on the Clams' 3/4 Delinquency Mobile, I am looking forward to seeing the many familiar and new faces one finds at a HeAthens Hangout.

Was the start time 10:15 last night?
Doors @ 7, opener @ 8, DBT @ 915,

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

See everyone tonight. And great review, Bubba (extra cool that you got The Company I Keep)! Finally, great job Clams and all for reliving the mayhem that was Brooklyn Bowl in 2011, which incidentally, was on my birthday. I have a signed Wes Freed poster from that show, which features the Brooklyn Bridge and a reference to the Truckers being on Letterman. Can't wait for the Rock Show and catching up with everyone tonight!
Three guitars or a life of crime

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Sterling Big Mouth wrote:See everyone tonight. And great review, Bubba (extra cool that you got The Company I Keep)! Finally, great job Clams and all for reliving the mayhem that was Brooklyn Bowl in 2011, which incidentally, was on my birthday. I have a signed Wes Freed poster from that show, which features the Brooklyn Bridge and a reference to the Truckers being on Letterman. Can't wait for the Rock Show and catching up with everyone tonight!
Jeff and I were wondering last night "We're the fuck is Sterling". See you later buddy
Always go to the show

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Last night was a roller coaster. I thought it might be a mellow show since they have done 3 in a row & night 2 in DC was exhausting for me just watching it, I thought for sure they would be wiped out.
Nope. Devil Don't Stay into SinkHole showed they were totally ready for another high energy night.
A few tidbits from the evening. Somebody in the crowd shouted "Cooley for president " to which Cooley yelled back, off mic, no! I like my job! Patterson came out to start the encore by chugging a bottle of water on stage. He then said he had been fighting (& I quote) the HeAthens Homecoming Crud & he needed the water for his throat. And yet he still managed to sing Sands of Iwo Jima which can't be easy on his throat. Very excited to get Company I Keep, Girls Who Smoke( which is both mine & Kevidently's jam & we were together to enjoy it) & Play it All Night long. Surrender Under Protest keeps getting better & better. Love it when Jay, Patterson, Cooley & Matt come to the front of the stage to sing the chorus. I don't know all the lyrics yet but one line I love is " compelled but not defeated". It feels like a battle cry & everyone delivers that line with such passion you can't help but yell along at the top of your lungs.
It was great getting Hearing Jimmy Loud despite a few flubbed lyrics. I flashed back to when they filmed BIV & recalled that song was particularly tough that night, they had to play it at least 5 times, so perhaps that's part of the reason it was shelved for a while.
Tonight is night 2. Everybody brace yourself!

Big shout out to the Matador, the sound was crystal clear up front last night.
If we get Life in the Factory, Do it Yourself, Pulaski or People Who Died, I apologize to anyone standing near me as I may just lose my shit. Anything can happen night 2.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

I'd love to hear After the Scene Dies
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Ready for the rock show

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Lookout Mountain
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Puttin' People on the Moon
Space City
The Living Bubba
3 Dimes Down
Dead Drunk and Naked-->
Guitar Man Upstairs
What It Means
Surrender Under Protest
Ever South
First Air of Autumn
Bulldozers and Dirt
Hearing Jimmy Loud
Happy Birthday
I'm Eighteen
Zip City
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Encore:
Marry Me
A World of Hurt
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
People Who Died

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yep. Always go to nite 2, where every night is Saturday night. Cooley (approx): " So this is new york on a monday night, huh? I guess new york is the new austin." Yikes. But we'll forgive him one misstep during an otherwise perfect nite.

The boys blew the roof off tonight. The energy level on stage and in front of it was just off the charts right from the start. If the guys were smiling and having fun last nite, I don't know how to describe tonight: The smiles and laughs were constant and infectious and everyone seemed blown away by what everyone else was playing.

Not the longest DBT show anyone's ever seen, but it made not a whit of difference. The set smoked from first song to last, w/ a slight and necessary slow down for the new song segment (nothing wrong w/ those, they're just different than the catalog). Speaking of the new songs, it's clear now that the hook in "Surrender Under Protest" is Matt's bass line. I'm one of those people who think that Al Kooper's organ playing on "Like A Rolling Stone" is glorious in its imperfections and sloppiness. Nonetheless, I think it's fair to say that Jay's organ playing on "What It Means" is what Al Kooper would have sounded like on "LARS" if he knew what he was doing.

I think Brad took his vitamins today, or maybe upped the dosage. He was pounding on the kit, especially during "PPOM". I don't think I've ever heard him play like that and he almost stole the song. His playing was incredibly strong all nite.

Well deserved kudos to the crew from Patterson. Haven't heard him acknowledge the behind the scenes guys in some time and they were stellar all night.

I'm getting the idea that Cooley only plays Space City when he's really feeling it, because his performances this weekend were just great, emotional and powerful. Jay's organ playing behind Cooley was very different than the night before: Much more understated but it packed a similar punch. And holy shit, I thought the whole building was going to levitate during "Zip City" and "Marry Me." That was in part due to the guitar playing which was exceptional all night from all 3 players, both on leads and rhythm.

My 2 newbie guests couldn't stop smiling after the show. 2 lifelong fans were made. They were totally blown away. Hell, why not? We all were.

Thanks for all the support from my friends during "World of Hurt" and for your thoughtfulness during "People Who Died," CG. Much appreciated. My 2 guests remarked on what a special group this is and they were right again :)

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

Sunday night was awesome.

last night was incredible, balls to the wall rock n roll all night. Super high energy level with a setlist to match. If there is a better way to have fun on a Monday night, I ain't seen it yet.

Also, really special to see some of you great 3dd folks who I sadly don't get to see enough. Was a wonderful night sharing all the exhilaration with you good folks. It's a good kind of tired today at work.

thebigew

Post by thebigew »

beantownbubba wrote:I think Brad took his vitamins today, or maybe upped the dosage. He was pounding on the kit, especially during "PPOM". I don't think I've ever heard him play like that and he almost stole the song. His playing was incredibly strong all nite.
The thought of this possibility almost pushed me to go again last night, but unfortunately just had too much to do. Although I'm better rested today than if I had went to the show, a part of me feels incomplete without hearing my favorite song at the moment.

Guess I'll just have to catch them the next time they're in town... hopefully on a Friday or Saturday 0:-)

Clams

Post by Clams »

Clams

Post by Clams »

Long drive home from the big apple and working on about 3 hours sleep, so here are some very scattered thoughts from last night. I don't know if this lineup is the best ever version of DBT but I can tell you they must be seen to be believed right now. Locked in. Tight. On top of their game. Having fun. I can't imagine there are any other rock bands giving their fans a better live experience right now than the truckers. I have friends who follow Wilco, Tedeschi Trucks, Pearl Jam, Springsteen, etc and I'm sure those bands put on a good show. But the DBT experience, in these small up-close clubs, with the band firing on all cylinders, playing old songs and new, connecting with the crowd, I just can't imagine anything better. I saw them Saturday and last night and you could tell they were just THRILLED to be playing shows in Washington and Brooklyn and the crowds were just as thrilled to have them there. Musically I don't remember the band sounding better. EZB pounding, Matt locked in with that smile, Jay doing double duty for the entire show, Patterson with his voice shot from singing his heart out, switching up guitars after every song from his SG to that Baxendale hollow body with the snakes to that cool little Gene Autrey acoustic, not to mention Cooley who is really in the zone right now - ripping solos at the edge of the stage, playing slide more often than I ever remember and even playing Space City on an electric guitar instead of his acoustic (and cracking one-liners and telling stories all night long - which is always just as much fun as the music). And then there's the songs. You've got the angry political rockers, not just the old ones like PPOTM, but new ones like What It Means and Cooley's Ramon Casiano and Surrender Under Protest (which sounds to me like classic Clash), you've got the sing-alongs like Marry Me, Three Dimes, Dead Drunk & Naked, etc, and then there are the songs that just rip your fucking heart out. Living Bubba (Can't die now, cause I got another show to do), Shut Up and Get on the Plane (Living in fear is just another way of dying before your time), World of Hurt (to love is to feel pain, there aint no doubt about it), People Who Died (They were all my friends, any they died!), not to mention Angels & Fuselage in DC the other night - which still reminds me, every damn time I hear it, of GW carrying Ben Rudin out into the crowd at the 40 Watt a few years ago, both of them being scared shitless of what's coming next. Like I said, these songs just rip out your heart. And speaking of People Who Died, I could probably write an entire post about the version they played last night. I've seen DBT play this song a lot of times, but last night was just insane. You had Thayer Serano helping out on keyboards, David Barbe and the road crew all playing guitars, and Patterson gulping tequila and beer and swinging the mic stand all while sharing the vocals with Cooley Girl and Luke for basically the entire song as all three sang their hearts and guts out to the point where Patterson just fell over backwards, flat on his back. I was right behind Luke & Sarah and just watched as the insanity played itself out. All I can say is you had to see it, it was that crazy, it meant something really important to all three of them, and it was 100% real. And that's the shit that keeps us coming back year after year and show after show. One final thing to mention was how absolutely great it was to see familiar faces and catch up with friends. From the DC show with all the folks from Washington and Virginia, and all the NYC, NJ, Long Island and New England folks who were in Brooklyn last night. Let me just tell you, it's fucking great to be alive.

edited to add:
Forgot to mention how great it was to hear the Eddie Hinton playlist before the show in both the 930 Club and in Williamsburg.
Also need to say how good the sound was in all parts of the venue last night. I spent time up front and also off to the Cooley side with Headhunter's crew, and the sound was crystal clear wherever you were. Tip o' the cap to Matt D.
Last edited by Clams on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Clams wrote: All I can say is you had to see it, it was that crazy, it meant something really important to all three of them, and it was 100% real. And that's the shit that keeps us coming back year after year and show after show. One final thing to mention was how absolutely great it was to see familiar faces and catch up with friends. From the DC show with all the folks from Washington and Virginia, and all the NYC, NJ, Long Island and New England folks who were in Brooklyn last night. Let me just tell you, it's fucking great to be alive.
This post sums up perfectly why I go see DBT anytime they're playing within a few hundred miles. They are the only band I feel this way about, and the only band I've ever felt this way about. When they're on tour and I'm not at the show I feel like I'm really missing something important. I don't feel that way about anyone else.
Last edited by brett27295 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

That's the essence right there of the whole damn thing. Thanks for sharing Clams, very well done and I ain't blaming you for a fucking thing.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

deleted, sorry
Last edited by Clams on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phungi

Post by phungi »

can't add much to Clams' excellent and eloquent review, but from nearly the same view of the stage, just behind Luke and Sarah, here is photographic evidence of just how great it is to be alive:

We got messed up minds for these messed up times...