9:30 Club Shows - DC - March 4-5, 2016

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

BigTom
Site Admin

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - DC - March 4-5, 2016

Post by BigTom »

Venue shut us down on the stream. Sorry.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Thanks for trying. Have a great night.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Lookout Mountain
Gravity's Gone
Ronnie and Neil
Where the Devil Don't Stay
The Southern Thing
72 (This Highway's Mean)
Dead Drunk and Naked-->
Guitar Man Upstairs
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
First Air of Autumn
What It Means
Love Like This
Sandwiches for the Road
Women Without Whiskey
Feb 14
Marry Me
Steve McQueen
3 Dimes Down
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Encore:
Hearing Jimmy Loud
Play It All Night Long
Ramon Casiano
A World of Hurt
Zip City
Buttholeville
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Angels and Fuselage

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Damn...what a set list!

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Always go to the 9:30 club show. DBT blows it out there every single time.
I don't think I can put into words what these 2 shows were like. A few nuggets are all I can manage. The new songs are blending really well with the old. Patterson & Cooley appear to be especially passionate & excited to play the new stuff. Yet we still get treated to older delights like Company I Keep, Steve McQueen & Sandwiches for the Road. I was beyond thrilled to get Hearing Jimmy Loud, I was starting to wonder if Cooley was retiring that one it had been so long since he played it. That was hands down the best version of Grand Canyon I've ever heard, aside from the one at Craig's memorial service. It was something special. There is a 50/50 chance that I'll cry when they lay it. I smiled from start to finish & didn't shed a single tear. It was truly a celebratory version. I've never seen Cooley stay on stage for that song for so long. It was like he didn't want to stop. I think Jay was even caught off guard, he seemed to be watching Cooley & you could almost hear him thinking, ok, here we go, oh wait no, we're still going, ok, no problem, we'll keep going. It was uplifting.
You always come out of a special show wondering how they'll top that. And then they come back the next night & play a show like tonight. How do they do it? How do I explain to my non-music friends that I've seen them 191 times & it was 191 different shows, & some were just off the rails insane? The crowd tonight had potential to have some asshat behavior. We had some drunk idiots shove their way up front & chant DBT before Thayer had finished her set. We quickly banded together & our 3DD peeps started getting a game plan together in case we had to deal with the jerks. PA Heathen started figuring out what she'd need to do to use her black belt skills should it come to that. We sized up the situation & found the idiots had already muscled their way in front of the very sweet & young fans who had been standing up front all night. Thankfully the situation was quickly diffused & without any fights or blows. Out new friends seemed to be happy they could enjoy the show in peace. I have to admit it was so wonderful to see the show through their eyes, & to see them singing every word with us.
Sorry for the random & possibly incoherent thoughts. I should know better than to try & write at 4 AM. Long story long, don't miss DBT at the 9:30 club.

One last thought, I think Patterson got the Athens crud, too. He said he had been really sick & started feeling better just in time to start this tour.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Almost forgot. Patterson grabbed a drumstick from Easy B & played cymbals for a bit & then handed the drumstick to Luke. Dirty Paul played the organ for a song. A&F closed with Matt & Easy B leaving after Patterson & Cooley, which meant Thayer playing organ & Jay playing keys to end the show.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Always go to night two
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

Incredible set, sounds like a great two nights in DC. Very jealous. Hopefully they'll find their way across the pond later this year.
Have fun in Brooklyn those making the trip there.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Wow, sounds like an incredible show. That setlist! Really looking forward to the two shows in Carrboro even more now
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

phungi

Post by phungi »

CooleyGirl wrote:How do I explain to my non-music friends that I've seen them 191 times & it was 191 different shows, & some were just off the rails insane?
Great review, but one minor quip: when was the last time you saw a DBT show "off the rail"?
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

phungi

Post by phungi »

alquina wrote:Damn...what a set list!
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Clams

Post by Clams »

If you don't run you rust

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

CooleyGirl wrote:One last thought, I think Patterson got the Athens crud, too. He said he had been really sick & started feeling better just in time to start this tour.
I think the 40 Watt should start fumigating the venue before and after each show during Homecoming. This year's strain was ridiculous.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

It's got to be people not being used to the type cooties we have in Georgia. I've never gotten this Athens crud stuff.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Missed night one but caught night two last night with my Central PA crew. It was one incredible night and glad my daughter (her second and a half show) and son (he's seen several shows) were with me to witness this event. CG was right, it seemed like they were ready to play all night long. Always wanted to see Ronnie and Neil, and Devil Don't Stay back to back, finally got to see that last night. One of my favorite DBT songs is Sandwiches for the Road which was great to see live last night for the first time in my life. I should have known something was up then three Eddie Hinton songs were playing on the PA right for the show started. Really liked the new material, and, from what Patterson was saying, they've written all the songs for the new album. It was a long night, my legs are tired and we didn't get home until after 4 AM, but it was so worth it. Not many bands I can say that about.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

CooleyGirl wrote:Always go to the 9:30 club show. DBT blows it out there every single time.
I don't think I can put into words what these 2 shows were like. A few nuggets are all I can manage. The new songs are blending really well with the old. Patterson & Cooley appear to be especially passionate & excited to play the new stuff. Yet we still get treated to older delights like Company I Keep, Steve McQueen & Sandwiches for the Road. I was beyond thrilled to get Hearing Jimmy Loud, I was starting to wonder if Cooley was retiring that one it had been so long since he played it. That was hands down the best version of Grand Canyon I've ever heard, aside from the one at Craig's memorial service. It was something special. There is a 50/50 chance that I'll cry when they lay it. I smiled from start to finish & didn't shed a single tear. It was truly a celebratory version. I've never seen Cooley stay on stage for that song for so long. It was like he didn't want to stop. I think Jay was even caught off guard, he seemed to be watching Cooley & you could almost hear him thinking, ok, here we go, oh wait no, we're still going, ok, no problem, we'll keep going. It was uplifting.
You always come out of a special show wondering how they'll top that. And then they come back the next night & play a show like tonight. How do they do it? How do I explain to my non-music friends that I've seen them 191 times & it was 191 different shows, & some were just off the rails insane? The crowd tonight had potential to have some asshat behavior. We had some drunk idiots shove their way up front & chant DBT before Thayer had finished her set. We quickly banded together & our 3DD peeps started getting a game plan together in case we had to deal with the jerks. PA Heathen started figuring out what she'd need to do to use her black belt skills should it come to that. We sized up the situation & found the idiots had already muscled their way in front of the very sweet & young fans who had been standing up front all night. Thankfully the situation was quickly diffused & without any fights or blows. Out new friends seemed to be happy they could enjoy the show in peace. I have to admit it was so wonderful to see the show through their eyes, & to see them singing every word with us.
Sorry for the random & possibly incoherent thoughts. I should know better than to try & write at 4 AM. Long story long, don't miss DBT at the 9:30 club.

One last thought, I think Patterson got the Athens crud, too. He said he had been really sick & started feeling better just in time to start this tour.
Great write up. I'm with you on Hearing Jimmy Loud. I'm glad Cooley might be playing it again. EO is such a strong record for him so I've been a little puzzled/disappointed that he seems to have left most of those songs behind with the exception of Shit Shots Count (which I love). I wonder if we will ever hear Natural Light, Til He's Dead or Rises, or Primer Coat again. Cooley seems to shelve songs and not bring them back where Patterson seems like he tries to sort of rotate songs in and out. I was real excited about getting GG Allin and Sandwiches for the Road at Homecoming. Glad he's brought Samdwiches back for a while.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

This band brings it every night. This results in snickers and eye rolling from folks who don't get it in response to your statement "great show last night" (how can it always be great?). Sometimes, however, they bring it a little bit more and you walk out saying "best show ever". Last night was certainly in that category. The show was grabbed by the throat from the get go and there was no letting go. Cooley was a panther with his full swagger swinging left and right. Put on a guitar clinic on how to play raw rock and roll but also how to finesse the job when need be. Vocals were inspired from both the boys but Patterson's impassioned pleas and pleadings (What It Means just keeps getting better and better) were incredibly forceful and there were a number of deep digging diaphragmatic growls. From the set list, you can see there were numerous opportunities for the three guitar attack. The glorious cacophony of that approach just kept getting more intense as the show went on and left us permanently open mouthed by the end. I've got more but I have to get off this Amtrak and get over to Brooklyn
Always go to the show

Hud

Post by Hud »

nIce write up CG, thanks for posting!

I thought 'hearing jimmy loud' was gone for good, REALLY Really happy to hear that it's resurfaced. Hoping for ' 'hearing jimmy loud' and 'drag the lake Charlie) at Cats Cradle.....2 songs I've missed a lot.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

phungi wrote:
CooleyGirl wrote:How do I explain to my non-music friends that I've seen them 191 times & it was 191 different shows, & some were just off the rails insane?
Great review, but one minor quip: when was the last time you saw a DBT show "off the rail"?

There are shows I've seen that were not off the rails, believe it or not. The one that immediately comes to mind is an outdoor show in Charlottesville many years ago. They just seemed tired & cranky. If you were a casual fan, you would not have known. No matter how they feel, they put on a great show & don't phone it in. I only picked up on the vibe since I've been fortunate enough to have seen them so much. They also did an in store which was great but you could see the subtle crankiness if you knew where to look. It was also the last day of the tour. Craig even got hassled by the venue that day & it was ugly & he was treated unfairly by venue staff.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Having no set list is part of what makes it so fun. You never know when they might bring something back like Life in the Factory or Do it Yourself or Pulaski.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

When they played Haw River Ballroom in Saxapahaw, NC a few years back I ran into this fella who insisted the Truckers were on their last legs, that they were coming apart at the seams. He said, "can't you see, the road has taken its toll. They'll be breaking up soon." What I witnessed that night was the exact opposite of what this guy was seeing. I don't keep count of the shows I've seen but I've seen 'em enough over the years to catch an off night or two. I know when I saw them last year at Cat's Cradle, it had to be within the top 5 shows of theirs I'd ever seen. At this stage of the game, lots of bands have lost their luster and are often phoning in it. Not the Truckers, they keep getting better. I guess it all boils down to perspective. That guy at Haw River Ballroom swore he was seeing one of their last shows. I felt like I was seeing the Truckers in their prime.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

CooleyGirl wrote:
phungi wrote:

There are shows I've seen that were not off the rails, believe it or not. The one that immediately comes to mind is an outdoor show in Charlottesville many years ago. They just seemed tired & cranky. If you were a casual fan, you would not have known. No matter how they feel, they put on a great show & don't phone it in. I only picked up on the vibe since I've been fortunate enough to have seen them so much. They also did an in store which was great but you could see the subtle crankiness if you knew where to look. It was also the last day of the tour. Craig even got hassled by the venue that day & it was ugly & he was treated unfairly by venue staff.
I know what you mean. Never seen a bad show but I've seen them when you could tell something was going wrong. Nothing real obvious but just stuff I picked up on because I have seen them so many times. After the show I'm talking about somebody soon left the band.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Great, great show last night. Cooley shredding during the encore was really something to see and hear. Was nice to see him playing the slide too. I loved hearing all the new songs - the new record is really gonna be special. It was also great to spend time with so many friends last night. Special thanks to Allison and her family for hosting the afternoon get-together at their house. Can't wait for Brooklyn tomorrow night.

marissa

Post by marissa »

Hey everyone! This is my first time posting here so I'll introduce myself in the newb thread, but thanks Allison for introducing yourself last night/inviting me to post after seeing me getting down over by Cooley on Friday night!

And thanks to everyone down front both nights who I may or may have not met by name for helping make my little sister's first DBT shows a great experience. She said it was definitely the best crowd experience she's had at any show, and I'm sorry if we stood in front of you because we're both around 6' in boots :D

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

First Hearing Jimmy Loud since September 2014, just for the record.

Last Steve McQueen January 2015

Flea

Post by Flea »

marissa wrote:Hey everyone! This is my first time posting here so I'll introduce myself in the newb thread, but thanks Allison for introducing yourself last night/inviting me to post after seeing me getting down over by Cooley on Friday night!

And thanks to everyone down front both nights who I may or may have not met by name for helping make my little sister's first DBT shows a great experience. She said it was definitely the best crowd experience she's had at any show, and I'm sorry if we stood in front of you because we're both around 6' in boots :D

New meat!
Now it's dark.

lynne

Post by lynne »

Flea wrote:
marissa wrote:Hey everyone! This is my first time posting here so I'll introduce myself in the newb thread, but thanks Allison for introducing yourself last night/inviting me to post after seeing me getting down over by Cooley on Friday night!

New meat!
What are we ever going to do with you? Good thing the ladies of 3DD are a tough bunch! Welcome Marissa.
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

Clams

Post by Clams »

I liked Thayer Serrano. She played guitar with her band and I thought she sounded a lot like Mazzy Star. I was surprised when she sat in on keyboards with the truckers. She played the organ on A&F while Jay was playing the piano and she played on a few other songs too, and she held her own. I thought her youthful and feminine presence was a nice touch.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:I liked Thayer Serrano. She played guitar with her band and I thought she sounded a lot like Mazzy Star. I was surprised when she sat in on keyboards with the truckers. She played the organ on A&F while Jay was playing the piano and she played on a few other songs too, and she held her own. I thought her youthful and feminine presence was a nice touch.
I'm a fan but have never seen her solo. I liked her in T. Hardy Morris' band and in Cracker plus the solo songs I've heard. Very talented young lady.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

Welcome, Marissa! Nice meeting you Saturday night, and glad to see you on the board!
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.