2016 Nuci's/Homecoming fundraiser and DVD/Blu-ray offer

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

uncle rickey

2016 Nuci's/Homecoming fundraiser and DVD/Blu-ray offer

Post by uncle rickey »

Friends,

With Homecoming shows just 50 days away (and counting!), it's time again for all of us at Three Dimes Down to come together as a community and raise some money for Nuci's Space.

This is the fifth year we've done this, but for any newcomers who don't know, Nuci's Space is a unique center for musicians in Athens, GA. Its mission is to prevent suicide by providing obstacle-free treatment for musicians, as well as providing support and resources to help musicians emotionally and professionally. The focus of Nuci's is the well-being of musicians. They help arrange low-cost physical and mental health services, they provide practice space and equipment rental, and they work with young musicians through their Camp Amped programs. We'll see the Camp Amped Band perform at night one of Homecoming again this year; it's exciting to see what those kids can do.

I'm always struck when I visit Athens and witness the breadth of the music scene there. It’s not just the venues like The 40 Watt and Georgia Theatre where we love to see the Truckers and other touring acts, but the bars and restaurants and coffee shops who offer live music every night; the students, waiters, record store clerks, bartenders, and book sellers who all play in a band or bands; the community of artists whose names appear in the liner notes of my record collection who play every night at open mics, jam sessions, and their friends' bands, and their friends’ side projects… It’s an inspiring community that creates incredible music together.

But it’s one that I mostly witness at its most joyful, in the creation of live music at a show. We know the life of a musician, whether full-time or spare time, is full of challenges and obstacles, none more urgent than his daily mental health.

We often talk about music in life-saving terms. For me personally I know what it’s like to watch loved ones struggle with mental illness, and like a lot of you, I’ve lost people close to me to suicide. I also know how, again and again, the commitment and friendship and music in this community has brought me safely to shore. Patterson always tells us rock and roll saved his life as a teenager and continues to today; Nuci’s Space is dedicated to doing the same for the musicians of Athens.

I'm proud to say that last year we here at Three Dimes Down raised $7,800 with our community fund drive. I hope we can do even better this year. All donations are tax-deductible. Once again we are offering a 3DD-produced video of an epic DBT show: night 2 of Homecoming 2015 at the 40 Watt! Filmed by our own Maluca3, bogart, Allisonsdc, Ramonz, Bill Fraley and Tony Latzig. Audio recorded by those infamous HeAthens, Lynzz and Big Tom. Edited all together by Jonicont. This show was a scorcher from start to finish. You don't want to miss out on this. Here's a taste:

Thanks, and I can't wait to see you all in Athens!

Luke Henderson (aka Uncle Rickey)
Last edited by uncle rickey on Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: 2016 Nuci's/Homecoming fundraiser and DVD/Blu-ray offer

Post by Jonicont »

Thanks to Luke for getting things started. And thank you to all the previously mentioned folks for helping to get it done.

This year we have a DVD or Blu-ray version of the show available. Shot in High-Def @ 1920x1080

The show was 2:43 and will come on 3 dvds or 2 blu-rays

A $20 minimum donation will get the dvd set to your door

A $25 minimum donation gets you the Blu-ray

MAKE YOUR DONATIONS HERE

https://nuci.wufoo.com/forms/x1hc14tz0x9u7uz/

If you're sending a check, make sure you include "3DD" and your user name (if you have one) in the memo line!

Mail it to:

Nuci's Space
396 Oconee Street
Athens, GA 30601

You also have to pay for shipping

Shipping and Handling is PAID TO ME

S&H for the dvd is $4.62

S&H for the Blu-ray is $4.78

(There are different prices because blank Blu-Ray discs are more expensive than blank DVDs)

Pay me via Paypal--jonicont@aol.com

Or check (PM me OR email me (jonicont@threedimesdown.com) for my address) DO NOT send checks to last years address. I have moved.

So
1-make a donation

2-pay me the shipping

3-wait by the mailbox

It's that simple

Thanks to everyone who donated last year. Hope to see you again
Always go to the show

The Beacon

Post by The Beacon »

What an inspired choice of a show for the DVD it was a cracker, one of my favourite DBT gigs ever, a must have :D

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Can't wait to see this video, it should be a doozy!
As usual, I'll be tracking the donations as they come in. If you have any questions about the donation page, please send me a PM.
Let's try and beat last year's amount! We (3DD) earned a gold record last year that is on display on Nuci's record wall for donating so much over the last few years, let's keep up the great work!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Thanks for offering up a great show for those that donate. Last year's Friday night show was one of the best I've ever seen!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

sent! psyched

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Just made my contribution---can't wait to see the DVDs. That was one fantastic show.
Let the outside air in

drjayhow

Post by drjayhow »

Payment sent. Stoked for dvd

Drjay

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Thanks so much for doing this! Payment sent, can't wait to see the dvd!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I understand she's one of the Butt sisters! Love that Matt has his I Blame Clams t-shirt on.

An incredible job by all as usual. Check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuXJF3q ... e=youtu.be
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I'm really looking forward to watching this when it arrives. This performance is in my Top 5 of DBT shows that I've attended.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

First I want to thank John in getting this out so fast. I ordered right before Christmas and the video came last Saturday after New Years when I needed it most. Also, I'd like to mention that Lydia Loveless listed this show as her favorite show she played in for 2015 in the Bloodshot Records Artists/Staff end of the year rap-up.

I had the pleasure of attending this show last year, my first homecoming. I got stuck towards the back of room for most of this show, so I was glad to see so many close-ups of the band during this video. Of course, the sound is great, but the filming and editing were outstanding, there were so many great angles of the band and of the venue. I even liked the close-ups of the bottle passing. We even get to see Luke and Sarah contribute to "People Who Died". Of course the band was in rare form, and got see "Something's Got to Give", "Daddy Needs a Drink", and "Margo and Harold", songs I have not seen very much live. The White Knuckles West Virginia story was aces. Yes, Matt in the "I Blame Clams" shirt. Great to re live such a great night and great weekend.

I should mention my oldest son joined the Peace Corp and, for the past six months, has been stationed in the western most portion of Mongolia where there is virtually nothing. Once I've viewed this video a few more times, I will be sending this out to him. He will be missing out on a lot of shows, hopefully this will help him kill a few hours.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Mine arrived yesterday. We shouldn't require an incentive to donate to such a worthy cause, but let me be the first to report that this is the best "Nuci's Bootleg" yet - band sounds incredible, camera work is flawless...just a great collection. Anyone on the fence about donating should do so. Beats a tote bag any day. :D

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Gang Green wrote:I should mention my oldest son joined the Peace Corp and, for the past six months, has been stationed in the western most portion of Mongolia where there is virtually nothing. Once I've viewed this video a few more times, I will be sending this out to him. He will be missing out on a lot of shows, hopefully this will help him kill a few hours.
Take heart. My niece spent 2.5 years in Kyrgystan (about as empty as Mongolia) and made it back having learned a number of useful skills, like tying sheep intestines and how to drink turpentine (more or less) w/out puking.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

beantownbubba wrote:
Gang Green wrote:I should mention my oldest son joined the Peace Corp and, for the past six months, has been stationed in the western most portion of Mongolia where there is virtually nothing. Once I've viewed this video a few more times, I will be sending this out to him. He will be missing out on a lot of shows, hopefully this will help him kill a few hours.
Take heart. My niece spent 2.5 years in Kyrgystan (about as empty as Mongolia) and made it back having learned a number of useful skills, like tying sheep intestines and how to drink turpentine (more or less) w/out puking.
From what Alex, my son, has told us, he is still puking from eating sheep intestines which seems to be the main course every day. Maybe he's got it wrong, he should tie the sheep intestines and find some turpentine. Plus, he tried to learn the Mongolian language as much as possible before he went only to be stationed in the western region on the border of Kasakstan (spelling), where the first language is kasac (spelling), or whatever it is they speak. And, it's been below freezing since September. But, he seems to be really enjoying himself.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Gang Green wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
But, he seems to be really enjoying himself.
One thing I've learned, they do know how to keep warm in those places. ;)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

DUH!! I couldn't figure out why I wasn't recognizing the descriptions of this show until I received my copy of the dvd and realized I wasn't there. :roll: :o My annus horribilis was already well under way by the time of homecoming and I couldn't make it.

Which makes the dvd even more welcome. Through the first 2 discs this is obviously a superior show with an intriguing set list that just sucks the listener in. I can't say I've heard "White Knucle WVA" all that many times but this is clearly the best of those versions and "Space City" is superb; breathtaking. It's always a good sign when a rock show sounds good at even low volume and I was listening at low volume in the middle of the night and it sounded just great. Jonicont and crew have done their by now expected excellent job (sucks when you set a high bar, doesn't it?). Looking forward to watching the encore later today.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Gang Green wrote: I should mention my oldest son joined the Peace Corp and, for the past six months, has been stationed in the western most portion of Mongolia where there is virtually nothing. Once I've viewed this video a few more times, I will be sending this out to him. He will be missing out on a lot of shows, hopefully this will help him kill a few hours.
Wow GG, Mongolia is a far cry from checkin' out Deer Tick in Harrisburg. That's quite the leap for Alex. I'm sure he's always your mind. My daughter is getting ready to fly the coop as well and I know I've got heart strings pulled and heebie-jeebies to boot. And she's just moving to Pittsburg (which is kind of like Mongolia [and that's not just the Ravens fan in me]). I hope Alex fares well with his PC experience. Oh and I'd rather drink turpentine than eat sheep's intestines.

...they say a young man's learning
Yeah! - of Jack Black & turpentine

Gingerly, mix up a batch
pour it on me then strike a match
beantownbubba wrote:DUH!! I couldn't figure out why I wasn't recognizing the descriptions of this show until I received my copy of the dvd and realized I wasn't there. :roll: :o My annus horribilis was already well under way by the time of homecoming and I couldn't make it.
Sorry about your horribilis, bubba (see I took the high road there). Don't fret, though; I was at the show & my memory of it is shaky (at best). That's the night I went horizontal in Cooleyville (thanks Wiscy boys for quickly returning me to verticality). Got telephone pole splinters in my hand later that night (thanks Scotty C for rescuing this vagabond). I do remember it was another outstanding 40 Watt facemelt & I can't wait to check out the DVD.

Thanks jonicont & all of you upstanding camerapeople & tapers in advance (and retrospect) for helping me connect the dots.

Oh & by the way I DO blame Clams.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Clams

Post by Clams »

^^^^^^^ hey Slip, as the old saying goes, I didn't make you do a thing I just let you....
:)
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Wow GG, Mongolia is a far cry from checkin' out Deer Tick in Harrisburg. That's quite the leap for Alex. I'm sure he's always your mind. My daughter is getting ready to fly the coop as well and I know I've got heart strings pulled and heebie-jeebies to boot. And she's just moving to Pittsburg (which is kind of like Mongolia [and that's not just the Ravens fan in me]). I hope Alex fares well with his PC experience. Oh and I'd rather drink turpentine than eat sheep's intestines.
Actually, Deer Tick is coming to Harrisburg in February. I plan to be at that show.

My daughter is in Pittsburgh as well for school, but Mongolia is more like Mars than Pittsburgh. I'll be taking her to the Titus Andronicus and Craig Finn show in Pittsburgh in March. Is your daughter working there or going to school there?

By the way, I attended the Ravens v Chiefs game a couple of weeks ago, the Ravens were looking pretty bad, but I still had a fun time in B'more.

Hope to see you at one of the 9:30 Club shows.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Gang Green wrote:
Actually, Deer Tick is coming to Harrisburg in February. I plan to be at that show.

My daughter is in Pittsburgh as well for school, but Mongolia is more like Mars than Pittsburgh. I'll be taking her to the Titus Andronicus and Craig Finn show in Pittsburgh in March. Is your daughter working there or going to school there?

By the way, I attended the Ravens v Chiefs game a couple of weeks ago, the Ravens were looking pretty bad, but I still had a fun time in B'more.

Hope to see you at one of the 9:30 Club shows.
She & her girlfriend are going Laverne & Shirley. They've got jobs lined up & an apartment. Hopefully they don't come home with Lenny & Squiggy.
I'm in for the 9:30 shows & maybe Salisbury too. Yeah, the Ravens took a shit this year, but your Jets let me down big-time in Week 17.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks for the email reminder. Got my lazy ass into gear and donated. Looking forward to seeing this. I WILL be at homecoming one of these years.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Well it's payday so I finally made my donation. Thanks John and everyone else who puts this together. Nuci's is such a special thing and I am glad to help any way I can. The DVDs are always great and this one sounds like the best one yet. Can't wait to check it out. And Like PeterJ I will also be in Athens one day.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

lajakesdad wrote: Like PeterJ I will also be in Athens one day.
Promises, promises
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Hey folks. We’re at a little over $3,500 raised for Nuci’s so far. Thanks to everyone who’s donated. I know a number of you have asked me for a reminder to give, so here it is. We’re a little over two weeks away from Homecoming, and with Jonicont traveling to Athens on 2/9/16 (Tuesday) you should make your gift soon so he can get your DVD in the mail before he departs.

Thanks again and I hope to see you all in Athens!

-Luke-

That's right folks. Only 17 days until Homecoming. If last year is any indication, there are a whole slew of folks out there saying "Oh yeah, I have to remember to do that". I think we did half of our fundraising in the last week and a half. So please, if you can, get your donation and order in so I'm not deluged just before leaving. THE LAST DAY TO DONATE IS FEB.12.

As in the past, we will be streaming all 3 nights for those of you who can't be there.

Here's another clip from that night. White Knuckle West Virginia. The tale of DBT's first tour. It's 16 minutes long. You know Patterson loves to tell a story

Thanks
Jonicont
Always go to the show

uncle rickey

Re: DEADLINE APPROACHING: Nuci's fundraiser & DVD/Blu-ray of

Post by uncle rickey »

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give everyone an update as we look at the final accounting for the DVD/Blu-Ray fundraiser. We received donations from 159 of you for an even $7,500. Huge thanks to everyone who donated.

These gifts--along with the proceeds from Saturday's auction, the collection taken at the Lowcountry Boil, and your continued support for Nuci's programs, events, and funding--have a real impact in helping the lives of young musicians and the music community in Athens. I am inspired by and truly grateful for your generosity.

Thanks so much.
Luke

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

7500/159 = $47/per. Impressive. Plus something like $4K in the last 2 weeks or so. Also impressive.

I guess we're an impressive group.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:7500/159 = $47/per. Impressive. Plus something like $4K in the last 2 weeks or so. Also impressive.

I guess we're an impressive group.
No question. From the tee-shirts to the DVD's to the low country boil and of course the wonderful donations to the auction, the greater HeAthens community truly stepped it up this year and past years haven't been too shabby. Y'all are awesome. Congratulate yourselves.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved