Patterson Friday Night in Denver

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

walthers

Patterson Friday Night in Denver

Post by walthers »

Looks like I am going to end up with two if not three extras for the show this Friday. Table 143,face value of course. Post here and send me a PM if interested. Thanks.

maxjkugel

Re: Patterson Friday Night in Denver

Post by maxjkugel »

I have some buddies looking for tickets.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

walthers wrote:Looks like I am going to end up with two if not three extras for the show this Friday. Table 143,face value of course. Post here and send me a PM if interested. Thanks.
maxjkugel wrote:I have some buddies looking for tickets.
I love it when a plan comes together!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

Apparently I am totally inept at sending PMs, but I'll take two if that works.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Right on! They are yours. Yes John, I am glad when a plan works out as well. I could not give away my extra Isbell ticket last Friday, weird. Anyway, max I'll keep those two tickets for your buddies and we can meet up outside the venue. Sound good?

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

Sounds good! My number is 970 946 9567. I'll be heading up from Glenwood Springs midday-ish.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Cool. I will make a note of it and get ahold of you in the afternoon. I only live about 9 miles from the venue so I'll be around all day.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Anyone check this out ? How was it ?
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I went, it was killer. I've never really been out to Lowery, the venue was more like a dinner theater located underneath the Tavern. There were tables set up in the first couple of sections, I think the back was standing. Sound was really good, the audience was very respectful when Patterson was playing but rowdy enough when they should have been. Patterson came out and played a holiday tune (the name alludes me) as a 2nd encore. About two hours of music, Patterson told a story about 12:01 and also talked quite a bit about a buddy they used to party with back in AL (guy who fell out the window after smoking bong hits? his name also alludes me)- A couple of the new tunes, What it Means and Ever South are fantastic, can't wait to hear them in all their DBT glory.

<edit> just saw the link DBT posted- the xmas tune was "I believe in Father Christmas"
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

Show was great, new songs were awesome. I have videos of World Of Hurt and GG Allin if anyone is interested. Got to meet Walthers and his wife which was awesome as well.

McButton

Post by McButton »

I'll echo what was said about the show above, really great show. It was a really nice mix of old and new songs and it's always a treat to see Patterson in that kind of solo environment. It's amazing how fast the two or so hours flew by. I know we just got a great, career-spanning live album, but hearing the stories about Johnny Ringo made me daydream about an album of Patterson and Cooley with their guitars, sitting on stools and trading back and forth VH1 Storytellers-style.

As was mentioned in the SLC thread, Patterson told a really cool story about the Gene Autry guitar that he played all evening. It's a kids guitar from the 40's that Scott Baxendale refurbished. Here's more from Scott Baxendale's fb page "Here is a sweet little 3/4 Harmony "Melody Ranch" Gene Autry guitar, circa 1940. We did the Baxendale Conversion on this little gem and everybody is blown away by the sound and playability. It's got a painted Spruce top. Maple sides and back, Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard, and happens to be the identical model as George Jones' very first guitar." Anyway, Scott was on vacation in CO and stopped by to see DBT and Alabama Shakes at Red Rocks and showed the guitar to Patterson first and Patterson took it before Scott could show it to Brittany. He finished the story by saying that he loved Brittany, but there was no way she was getting that guitar.

As far as venue goes, I really dug juxtaposition between the Soiled Dove (seats and tables) and Patterson's 2013 show at the Larimer Lounge (sweaty beer joint.) I agree with the assessment that as a crowd we were respectful/rowdy in proper amounts on Friday, but there's also something about a standingroom-only bar gig as well. I don't think one is better than the other, just different. Selfishly, having designated seats and being waited on was a nice change from most shows I attend, especially after a day at work.

Lastly, it was nice that Patterson stuck around to meet and greet afterwards and it was a pleasure to finally meet him. All around a really nice pre-christmas gift for the wife and I.

walthers

Post by walthers »

All above accounts of the night are correct. Odd area of town for the venue but it was great to have a seat and table service that is for sure. Really nice to meet maxjkugel and his buddy Jacob, the wife and I enjoyed sharing a table with them. As much as I love a full blown truckers show, there is something very special about the stories and stripped down versions of the songs you hear when it is a solo performance. Great night of music.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

would love to see the vid of GG Allin max!

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

McButton

Post by McButton »

Thanks for the video, very cool. For anyone interested, I just posted the LMA link for this show in the Live Recordings area.

Edit: for the record, it's not my recording, I met the guy doing the actual recording after the show and he told me he'd be putting it on Archive, so cheers to Rob for the recording.
Last edited by McButton on Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Very cool mcbutton, thank you very much!