Cooley solo, Dec 11 & 18, Birmingham

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

schlanky

Cooley solo, Dec 11 & 18, Birmingham

Post by schlanky »

Anybody going to see Cooley at Saturn tonight?

I'm planning on it if my workload doesn't kill me before the end of the day.
Last edited by schlanky on Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the outside air in

schlanky

Re: Cooley solo, Dec 11, Birmingham

Post by schlanky »

Pulaski
Gravity's Gone
Carl Perkins Cadillac
Perfect Timing
Ghost to Most
Denver 218
Cottonseed
Uncle Frank
Eyes Like Glue
Cartoon Gold
Hwy 72
When the Pin Hits the Shell
Panties in Your Purse
Marry Me
Self Destructive Zones
Women Without Whiskey
Zip City
Everybody Needs Love

Amazing show tonight. One of the folks sitting next to me was fellow 3DDer Old Cloverdale. The show started a little later than advertised & Cooley didn't talk much on stage, but he was on fire. The crowd was much more respectful than Hood's show earlier this year in the same venue. This was the best acoustic set I've heard from Cooley in person or recorded. Standouts were "Cottonseed" and "When the Pin Hits the Shell" and "WWW".
Let the outside air in

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I didn't make the 12/11 show but my father-in-law and I are planning to attend the show this coming Friday. I've only seen one Cooley solo show a few years ago in Richmond and am looking forward to Friday.

Beaverdam

Re: Cooley solo, Dec 11 & 18, Birmingham

Post by Beaverdam »

Does anyone have hotel recommendations close to the Saturn (or in the area). My father-in-law and I are definitely coming but need somewhere to stay and haven't booked a room yet. We're willing to take a cab if there's nothing reasonably priced close to the venue.

Thanks!

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Hi Beaverdam. Although I've lived here for quite some time, I don't know all that much about the area hotels. Here is some info that will hopefully be helpful, but keep in mind that I've not stayed at any of these.

Birmingham has safe areas and not-so-safe areas, and they can be just a few blocks apart.

Places to avoid: Do not stay near the airport. Skip any hotel with airport in the name or on Messer Airport Hwy and skip the Motel 8 Inn. Do not book a $50 hotel room in the downtown area (the cheap price should be your warning sign).

Places to consider:

For a short drive to Saturn, The Tutwiler is popular (just hit 1st Ave North over to 41st street and turn right on 41st). You'll cross two sets of railroad tracks as you go from north side of town to south side of town. After crossing second set of tracks, large new parking lot will be on left. Saturn is just a block or so away on the opposite side of the road).

The downtown Sheraton is in same general area and would be a slightly longer drive than the Tutwiler.

UAB area is also a good bet, but there will be more traffic there. Check out the Courtyard Marriott, Springhill Suites, DoubleTree.

For a longer drive, you'll find lots of good hotels on Hwy 280 leading southeast out of town. I've stayed at the Drury Inn (several years ago) and was happy with them. If you're drinking at the show, I'd highly recommend you stay closer in than the hotels on Hwy 280.

Birmingham doesn't have an abundance of taxis out looking for fares. You may want to write down a few phone numbers of cab companies at the hotel and take them with you, then call for a pickup when you're ready to go back to the hotel.

*edits for clarification
Last edited by schlanky on Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Let the outside air in

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Well, I'd been hoping I might be able to swing this week's show too (particularly considering how great last week was), but with a bunch of holiday stuff to get done, it's not looking good at all for me on Friday.
Let the outside air in

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

schlanky wrote: If you're drinking at the show, I'd highly recommend you stay closer in than the hotels on Hwy 280.

*edits for clarification
So people sometimes drink at DBT/Cooley shows???

Thanks for the info!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Does the uber cab app work on Birmingham?

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

We ended up staying at the Sheraton; it was reasonably priced and relatively close to the Saturn. The Saturn was a really cool place, and Mr. Cooley was fantastic as always. The acoustic guitar work complimented the lyrics purposefully. My father-in-law purchased "Fool on every Corner" and had Cooley sign it "For Mike (me) when I'm dead." The albulm (and story) will make a pretty great inheritance one day hopefully in the far away future!

Also, we are an an excellent sandwich place, "Melt"!

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

great review!! thanks for posting

OldCloverdale

Post by OldCloverdale »

schlanky wrote:... One of the folks sitting next to me was fellow 3DDer Old Cloverdale. ...