Birmingham - Lyric Theatre - April 7-8-9, 2016

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Beaverdam

Re: Birmingham - Lyric Theatre - April 7-8-9, 2016

Post by Beaverdam »

I saw Cooley in Birmingham this past December and someone posted hotel suggestions. Are there any other suggestions as to where to stay from the collective 3DD wisdom?

We've got our tickets but have to find somewhere to sleep.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Beaverdam wrote:I saw Cooley in Birmingham this past December and someone posted hotel suggestions. Are there any other suggestions as to where to stay from the collective 3DD wisdom?

We've got our tickets but have to find somewhere to sleep.
I don't know where any of the other out of towners are staying, but if you liked the Sheraton when you were in town for Cooley, that would be a good bet for this one too. Birmingham has recently gotten Uber, so that's now an option for rides.

Here is my old post from the Cooley show thread:

Although I've lived here for quite some time, I don't know all that much about the area hotels. Here is some info that will hopefully be helpful, but I've not stayed at any of these.

Birmingham has safe areas and not-so-safe areas, and they can be just a few blocks apart.

Places to avoid: Do not stay near the airport. Skip any hotel with airport in the name or on Messer Airport Hwy and skip the Motel 8 Inn. Do not book a $40 hotel room in the downtown area (the cheap price should be your warning sign).

Places to consider:

The Tutwiler and downtown Sheraton are popular.

UAB area is also a good bet, but there will be more traffic there. Check out the Courtyard Marriott, Springhill Suites, DoubleTree.

For a longer drive, you'll find lots of good hotels on Hwy 280 leading southeast out of town. I've stayed at the Drury Inn (several years ago) and was happy with them. If you're staying on 280, you'll be driving through Mountain Brook, a place known for its "enthusiastic" police force (not a great place to be driving after a few beers).

Birmingham doesn't have an abundance of taxis out looking for fares. If you don't have Uber and will need rides, you may want to write down a few phone numbers of cab companies at the hotel and take them with you, then call for a pickup when you're ready to go back to the hotel.

============

For additional info, link below is a hotel primer (written by a fellow DBT fan!) that was made for out of town folks coming to Birmingham for Auburn's bowl game last December--note that the list of "Stuff to Do" is out of date. Toward the bottom of the page, there are links for places to eat and drink.

http://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2015/ ... ay-and-see
========
We're still on for the DBT gathering on Saturday, April 9th at Jim N Nicks from noon until 3. I'll post a little closer to the show dates to see if we can get a rough head count.
Let the outside air in

LagoonField

Post by LagoonField »

I'm looking forward to some 3DD pictures and stories from The Nick:

http://www.thenickrocks.com/

Hope everyone has a great time for the three night run in Birmingham. I think it may be epic!!

Enjoy, Tim

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

For folks coming to the Birmingham shows, there will be a 3DD gathering on Saturday, April 9th from noon until 3 pm. If you're reading this, consider yourself invited.

We'll meet at Jim N Nicks BBQ at 5 Points South. It's on 11th Avenue South between 19th and 20th Streets. Address is 1908 11th Ave South/Birmingham AL 35205. Phone number there is 205-320-1060.

https://www.jimnnicks.com

The restaurant indicated it would be nice to have an approximate headcount. If you think you'll be there, please add your name to the list.

1. schlanky
Let the outside air in

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

^^Thanks for arranging this! It'll be great to meet up.

1. schlanky
2. Uncle Rickey
3. CooleyGirl

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

uncle rickey wrote:^^Thanks for arranging this! It'll be great to meet up.

1. schlanky
2. Uncle Rickey
3. CooleyGirl
4. Tequila Cowboy
5. Lurleen McQueen
Ditto! Sounds like fun.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

1. schlanky
2. Uncle Rickey
3. CooleyGirl
4. Tequila Cowboy
5. Lurleen McQueen
6. Bill in CT

Looking forward to it!
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Bill in CT wrote:1. schlanky
2. Uncle Rickey
3. CooleyGirl
4. Tequila Cowboy
5. Lurleen McQueen
6. Bill in CT
7. Smitty
8. Ladonna

Looking forward to it!
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Smitty wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:1. schlanky
2. Uncle Rickey
3. CooleyGirl
4. Tequila Cowboy
5. Lurleen McQueen
6. Bill in CT
7. Smitty
8. Ladonna
9. Beaverdam (plus his father-in-law)
Looking forward to it!

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

It's Rock Show week!

I'm looking forward to seeing folks at the shows and at Jim and Nick's on Saturday.
Let the outside air in

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

schlanky wrote:It's Rock Show week!

I'm looking forward to seeing folks at the shows and at Jim and Nick's on Saturday.
Looking forward to seeing everyone as well. We're unable to get there Thursday but will see all you fine people on Friday.

drommel56

Re: Birmingham - Lyric Theatre - April 8-9, 2016

Post by drommel56 »

uncle rickey wrote:Nice find, Bill! We've got 5 months to figure it out, but I'd say we'll probably hit this. ;)

EDIT: tix on sale 12/11 at 10 am.
Yeah, great find, now find some west coast tour dates LOL
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I'm watching Bulleit right now to prep!

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

1. schlanky
2. Uncle Rickey
3. CooleyGirl
4. Tequila Cowboy
5. Lurleen McQueen
6. Bill in CT
7. Smitty
8. Ladonna
10. litdimly (Paige)
Looking forward to it!
Not completely unrelated, does anyone know the approximate address of the factory/warehouse where SRO was recorded?

grapico

Post by grapico »

I don't think I'm going to be able to make Friday and Saturday. Maybe one of the dates, but I doubt it. I have a pair both Friday and Saturday. Rows B & D and they are for sale. Let me know. Thanks y'all.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I'm looking forward to seeing you fine folks.

Does anyone know if there are opening bands this weekend?

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

litdimly wrote:
1. schlanky
2. Uncle Rickey
3. CooleyGirl
4. Tequila Cowboy
5. Lurleen McQueen
6. Bill in CT
7. Smitty
8. Ladonna
10. litdimly (Paige)
11. pa_heathen & the Mr.

Looking forward to it!
When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

For the 3DD gathering, I know about half of you and look forward to meeting the other half of you. I'll be wearing glasses and a blue t shirt with the English Oceans cover artwork.
Let the outside air in

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Birmingham
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Runaway Train
Women Without Whiskey
Tales Facing Up
Filthy and Fried
Hanging On
Sounds Better in the Song
My Sweet Annette
Ramon Casiano
Ever South
3 Dimes Down
Ronnie and Neil
Made Up English Oceans
What It Means
Love Like This
The Living Bubba
Marry Me
Buttholeville-->
State Trooper
Zip City
Let There Be Rock
Encore:
Birthday Boy
18 Wheels of Love
A Ghost to Most
Grand Canyon

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Fantastic night 1. It's kinda weird seeing DBT in a seated venue, but it was a great show. The venue looks like there's not a bad seat in the house.

I took my 20-year-old stepson to his first Rock Show tonight. His verdict was that DBT may not stylistically be what he's drawn to on some of the more country-sounding songs, but he dug a lot of the lyrics and guitar work and really liked the walk off ending for Grand Canyon. Would have liked to have hung around more after the show, but stepson is still a few months young for getting into bars. I'm very glad I got him out to the show though---and it's cool how much more they'll talk to you when you get them out of the house.

Right before the show started, Bill talked about how he wanted to see them do "Birmingham" and they opened with it. (Maybe tomorrow night he'll channel Road Cases or Plastic Flowers or Goodbye. :D ) State Trooper was a treat, as was My Sweet Annette. The new songs have really come along on stage, particularly "What It Means."
Let the outside air in

Clams's friend Deb

Post by Clams's friend Deb »

Agreed, it was a great show. The restored Lyric is beautiful, the sound was amazingly good and Schlanky's right; I don't think there's a bad seat in the house. DBT gets better every time I see them - Love Like This, Ever South, Ghost to Most, and Birthday Boy were particular standouts for me. The new songs we heard tonight have me looking forward to the new album.

Schlanky, we must have been on opposite sides of the floor, because it was hardly like a seated venue at all where I was. People from about the fourth row back stood for the whole show. I know I sound like someone's sour old granny, but I don't go to club shows anymore because I can't stand up for three hours. It would be so nice to sit at a seated venue and be able to see. The folks who were standing were dancing and having a wonderful time. I honestly don't begrudge them their good time, but they were forcing the people behind them to stand or not be able to see. I stood as long as I could then I'd sit and listen until I could stand up some more. I do begrudge the guy who told me to go fuck myself when I asked him if he'd consider sitting down for a while.

Enough of that. It was a great show; they are just on fire right now and the folks who will be there tomorrow and Saturday can look forward to something special.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Looks like a nice, long, fantastic setlist and what is surely a start to a great run of shows in Birmingham.

As a side note, I can't imagine sitting at a DBT show. I can't really even wrap my mind around it.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Jealous you got Birmingham, esp. right out of the gate. That's a song that needs to make a comeback
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Sorry we missed last night's show but we ain't missing tonight or tomorrow :D . See y'all later on.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Sorry we missed last night's show but we ain't missing tonight or tomorrow :D . See y'all later on.
Same here. Ready to get my Rock Show on.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Welcome back Annette!

Sounds like a heck of a show. Bastards.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

That was so much fun. It was clear the band was happy to be there. I swear Cooley twirled across the stage at one point!
The venue is beautiful. The sound up front was crystal clear. Runaway Train, Tales Facing Up & My Sweet Annette were highlights of the old songs. Also, during Buttholeville I said to UR I think they are about to do State Trooper! He looked at me like I was nuts, until we heard NJ turnpike... :shock:
I haven't quite made out all the lyrics to the new Cooley songs yet but i'm really enjoying them. I predict Ramon Casiano is going to be an almost every show song. It rocks. Matt's bass on Ever South was really amazing last night. I don't think I had heard it as well previously. I'll be curious to hear what others think, as well as hearing the studio version. I instantly fell in love with What It Means & it just keeps evolving during the live shows. I want to shout the lyrics at the top of my lungs, they say everything I'm thinking that I can't articulate.
Looking forward to the next 2 nights. It was fun hanging with Schlanky, Beaver dam, Bill & Lit dimly & nice meeting old Cloverdale. Clams' friend Deb, I'm so sorry you had rude people to deal with. I hate hearing that. Seated shows are weird. We checked with venue security before the show started. They said if you were seated in the first 2 rows, you were allowed to stand up front. If they had told us we couldn't, we certainly wouldn't have been rude about it. I hope it didn't ruin your night.
Looking forward to seeing all of you tonight!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

My wife bailed on me for this evening. :cry: She's not a DBT fan and had agreed to go just to see the restored Lyric, but this morning decided she really didn't feel like going. If anyone is looking for a ticket, I have a spare for tonight in the 6th row, center section--selling for face value.

CooleyGirl: Uncle Rickey has a message in his in box from me.
Let the outside air in

Clams's friend Deb

Post by Clams's friend Deb »

No, it didn't ruin my night. I posted something about it on one of the DBT fan pages on Facebook and it was a real eye-opener. You'd have thought by some people's reaction that I'd accused Patterson of wearing a pink tutu while he watches Lawrence Welk or something . It's clearly my problem and I know people just can't imagine not standing and dancing even in a seated venue. I really love the Truckers and seeing them live. It was particularly cool to see/hear them in Birmingham. I was a little frustrated when I came home, but I should have sat on my hands and counted to ten before I said anything. The rude guy needs to just keep living. He's got a big ol' karmic case of rheumatoid arthritis with his name on it.

The show was great, one of the best ones I've seen. I've never been to a bad Truckers show, but they seem to me to have hit a new level of both playing and writing. I can't wait for the new album.