The Guns of Umpqua

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ThreeOnTheTree

The Guns of Umpqua

Post by ThreeOnTheTree »

Does anyone have a recording of, lyrics to or more information about the new track "The Guns of Umpqua"?

I assume it is a new Patterson tune, based on the story of the Oregon shootings. Was Chicago 11/13 the first time DBT played it?

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/drive-by- ... es43baa7ab

John A Arkansawyer

Re: The Guns of Umpqua

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

ThreeOnTheTree wrote:Does anyone have a recording of, lyrics to or more information about the new track "The Guns of Umpqua"?

I assume it is a new Patterson tune, based on the story of the Oregon shootings. Was Chicago 11/13 the first time DBT played it?

The first time they played it (other than soundchecks and so on) was in Little Rock on October 20th. I haven't seen a recording. From what I got of the lyrics in Chicago (I was on the rail in Little Rock and sound at that venue is difficult up front), it's written in the voice of a guy who came back from the wars in the Middle East only to be killed while going to school in Oregon. It reminded me very slightly of Two Daughters and A Beautiful Wife in tone.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

ThreeOnTheTree

Post by ThreeOnTheTree »

Thanks!

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Patterson handed me the lyrics after they played it in Chicago. I can transcribe them here when I get home tonight.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

I see birds soaring through the clouds outside my window
Smell the fresh paint of a comfort shade on this new Fall day
Feel the coffee surge through morning veins from half an hour ago
Hear the sound of shots and some distant screams from the hallway

Spent my last weekend camping out again down the road a ways
Just me and Joan and a couple of friends on this beautiful trail
Watched the sun slip down behind a mountain stream in these great Cascades
Saw a mighty hawk swoop down upon a stream to devour its prey

Now we're moving chairs in some panic mode to barricade the doors
As my heart rate surges on adrenaline and nerves I feel I've been here before
Made it back from hell's attack in some distant bloody war
Only to stare down hell back home

Outside my mind I wander freely past the rocky shore
Waves crash against the banks where Lewis and Clark explored
We're all standing in the shadows of our noblest intentions of something more than being shot in a classroom in Oregon.

It's a morning like so many others with green grass and blue skies
The sun burned the fog away, the breeze blew the mist away, my friend Jack just had him a baby
I see birds soaring through the clouds outside my window today
Heaven's calling my name from the hallway outside the door
Heaven's calling my name from the hallway outside the door

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I can see it now... the album after the next one will be a 2 disc concept album w/ parallel story lines:

One is the story of a band that comes out of the pacific northwest wearning flannel and beards, becomes an overnite sensation and spokesmen for a disaffected previously voiceless generation but the leader of the band can't handle it and kills himself.

The second story imagines that guy 20 years later, if he hadn't killed himself, moving back to his roots, realizing that while rock n roll had saved his soul he needed more as he moved into middle age and he finds it in his nurturing family (the one after the insane druf fueled celebrity marriage), the soaring mountains, raging rivers, splendid coffee and a community of people seeking a better way in the pacific northwest, home of reinvention.

And they'll call it...

Northwest Rock Opera. But they'll have to do better than the duality of the northwestern thing. It just doesn't have that ring to it.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Southern Efficiency

Post by Southern Efficiency »

The line about barricading doors, in addition to the veteran status of the protagonist, called to mind this guy, one of the good-news stories from the Umpqua shooting:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2382674

I haven't heard the song, but it was just chilling reading the lyrics. Thanks to those who put their life on the line for others. It's beyond my brain's comprehension how selfless that is.

hogfan

Post by hogfan »

Hey folks- i was taping that night in LR and would like to share. Pretty cool to get the first one out of the gate! First two to send me a pm gets a copy- if you promise to share with someone else.

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Message sent

hogfan

Post by hogfan »

Message sent back alquina- (i think)

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
ThreeOnTheTree wrote:Does anyone have a recording of, lyrics to or more information about the new track "The Guns of Umpqua"?

The first time they played it (other than soundchecks and so on) was in Little Rock on October 20th. I haven't seen a recording. From what I got of the lyrics in Chicago (I was on the rail in Little Rock and sound at that venue is difficult up front), it's written in the voice of a guy who came back from the wars in the Middle East only to be killed while going to school in Oregon. It reminded me very slightly of Two Daughters and A Beautiful Wife in tone.
A friend's son teaches at that college and I think knew or taught one of the victims of that shooting. Sad that we have had so many shootings I forgot about it since then. RIP.