Secret to a Happy Ending

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Lake Man

Secret to a Happy Ending

Post by Lake Man »

Hi all. I am a newby to this forum. I caught the DBT religion 3 years ago when I saw them in Boston. Then I started listening to Outlaw Country on Sirius radio (because they play DBT) and it just spiraled out of control from there. I saw DBT again this year in Athens (40 Watt) and Boston. This band is like nothing else out there - nobody has the passion and cares about the "music" like DBT.

Now my question - does anyone know when DBT may be releasing their documentary "The Secret to a Happy Ending" on DVD? I am anxious to learn more about the band and the personalities behind the music. Thanks!
A funny thing happened on my way to a strange way of thinking...

mark lynn
Site Admin

Re: Secret to a Happy Ending

Post by mark lynn »

No DVD release date has been set at this point. It's still in the middle of lawyers,guns,and money but fingers are crossed and it'll happen!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

mark lynn wrote:No DVD release date has been set at this point. It's still in the middle of lawyers,guns,and money but fingers are crossed and it'll happen!

Send in Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner!

Welcome Lake Man!! Gotta keep that New England contingent growing - being a minority ain't all it's cracked up to be :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

OtisTheBulldog

Post by OtisTheBulldog »

beantownbubba wrote:
mark lynn wrote:
Welcome Lake Man!! Gotta keep that New England contingent growing - being a minority ain't all it's cracked up to be :lol:

Agreed! Though the Boston Paradise show back in the BTCD tour was the first to sell out on tour. We need more dates!!! And we need a screening of Secret to a Happy Ending at the Somerville Theatre.

Lake Man

Post by Lake Man »

Somerville Theater would be the ideal venue for this film. Or the Cable Car Cinema in Providence. I went to the DBT show this year at the new House of Blues in Boston, and it was packed - so there is a contingent in this area for that "southern" sound.

kendix

Post by kendix »

I was just getting ready to start a thread about this.

They need to show it in more than 4 theaters before they release it on DVD.
I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

OtisTheBulldog

Post by OtisTheBulldog »

kendix wrote:I was just getting ready to start a thread about this.

They need to show it in more than 4 theaters before they release it on DVD.

Correct. And one of those theatres needs to be a 15 minute walk from my house. Somerville Theatre. Who shall make this come to pass?

Lake Man

Post by Lake Man »

I contacted DBT's mgmt company yesterday to find out how a venue is choosen to show the film. They said the film is being shopped around and if a theatre expresses interest they will try to make it happen. I have reached out to the Somerville Theatre outside of Boston to see if they can "make it happen"! Will keep ya'll posted.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I saw it as part of a film festival in Richmond at a 100 year old old art deco theater called The Byrd. The filmaker Barr Weisman was there (I guess he is at all showings at this point) and Wes and Jill Freed. The filmaker is a big fan and made this movie from funds out of his own pocket. It has lots of intimate interviews with Patterson, Cooley, Jason, etc.

It is well put together and definitely warrants repeat viewings.

Review here.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04326.html
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I'll start bugging my local art house, the Clearview Cinema in Red Bank. I bet they could get a good crowd. Maybe even an old fashioned, 1970's style midnight concert film screening where everyone shows up wasted and sneaks in booze. Man, I was an expert at those. Saw Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones and a bunch of others. I saw one movie that had footage of Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd. DBT would totally rock at a midnight concert film.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

OtisTheBulldog

Post by OtisTheBulldog »

Lake Man wrote:I contacted DBT's mgmt company yesterday to find out how a venue is choosen to show the film. They said the film is being shopped around and if a theatre expresses interest they will try to make it happen. I have reached out to the Somerville Theatre outside of Boston to see if they can "make it happen"! Will keep ya'll posted.

Nice! If you make this happen you're drinking for free that night (Somerville Theatre has beers on tap!)

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Lake Man wrote:I contacted DBT's mgmt company yesterday to find out how a venue is choosen to show the film. They said the film is being shopped around and if a theatre expresses interest they will try to make it happen. I have reached out to the Somerville Theatre outside of Boston to see if they can "make it happen"! Will keep ya'll posted.

Any news on this???? and I will so be buying you Turkey neat with a beer back dude!!!!! if you make this happen. Send me info and Ican will throw my 2 cents in as well!!!!
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Lake Man

Post by Lake Man »

BC

My inquiry to the Sommerville Theartre seems to have fallen on deaf ears. The person I reached out to was Ian Judge, Director of Ops at the Sommerville Theatre (ijudge@feitheatre.com and 617-625-4088). If enough folks contact him about hosting "The Secret to a Happy Ending", maybe he'll get some DBT religion and bring it to Sommerville (it is a perfect venue for this type of thing). I will post his contact info on the DBT Forum later today.

Enjoy the show in Richmond - sounds like an awesome time to be had. I am heading down to the Austin City Limits music fest in 2 weeks. No DBT this year though :cry:

Lake Man

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

I hope they'll announce the DVD release sometime in the near future, so fans like me (from Israel) could watch it. Maybe I'll tell'em that if we'll meet in November on the europe shows :)
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

If my ears did not deceive me I think I heard PH say in a recent interview posted on 3DD that the details were being worked out for a DVD release and should be available sometime this fall. If I remembered where is was I would post the interview. I think it was done with MoBoogie??? Anyway...hopefully we'll hear something soon!
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:If my ears did not deceive me I think I heard PH say in a recent interview posted on 3DD that the details were being worked out for a DVD release and should be available sometime this fall. If I remembered where is was I would post the interview. I think it was done with MoBoogie??? Anyway...hopefully we'll hear something soon!

I know that Barr would love for this to have already been released. Don't think we are gonna see a DVD this year though.

GuitarManUpstairs

mark lynn wrote:
GuitarManUpstairs wrote:If my ears did not deceive me I think I heard PH say in a recent interview posted on 3DD that the details were being worked out for a DVD release and should be available sometime this fall. If I remembered where is was I would post the interview. I think it was done with MoBoogie??? Anyway...hopefully we'll hear something soon!

I know that Barr would love for this to have already been released. Don't think we are gonna see a DVD this year though.

Ah that sucks....but at least now i won't be expecting it anyday...

GuitarManUpstairs

Lake Man wrote:Hi all. I am a newby to this forum. I caught the DBT religion 3 years ago when I saw them in Boston. Then I started listening to Outlaw Country on Sirius radio (because they play DBT) and it just spiraled out of control from there. I saw DBT again this year in Athens (40 Watt) and Boston. This band is like nothing else out there - nobody has the passion and cares about the "music" like DBT.

Now my question - does anyone know when DBT may be releasing their documentary "The Secret to a Happy Ending" on DVD? I am anxious to learn more about the band and the personalities behind the music. Thanks!

Lake Man,

I was introduced to DBT at about the same time. I feel like I have been missing out...and i completely know what you mean by "spiraling out of control". At this point DTB has become by far the majority of what i listen to and it seems like anything new i run across just doesn't seem to measure up or i don't relate to it as well. They seem to do such a good job expressing the issues of our day and southern culture in particular that i ususally have to restrain myself from mentioning them when in conversation for fear of seeming overly obsessed...which I'm pretty certain i am. In any case, since you are here, i am sure you know their website in and out - they have a tremendous amount of background about the songs and for the last album they did the series of webisodes. (Thank you Dr.Obvious, i know.) Past that there's tons of stuff on YouTube from live concerts to interviews.

If anyone else has any other significant sources of info please feel free to share so I can spend more of my time obsessing over the details rather than actually do what I'm supposed to be doing....

Lake Man

Post by Lake Man »

Guitar Man,

Right on brother!!! My good friends put up with my DBT obsession - my wife on the other hand not so much.....

If you haven't already, on www.alabamaasswhuppin.com you can get a link to hundreds of live DBT shows. I have downloaded so many of these that my IPOD nano is just about filled up. Nothing like DBT live and the dialogue between each other, and the crowd. I have other music on my IPOD, but usually just end of listening to a handfull of DBT shows.

I grew up and live in the Northeast, but am very intrigued with the whole Southern culture. I have a good friend who lives in Atlanta and everytime I visit, its hard to come back north. Maybe in my next life I will reside in Huntsville or Birmingham or Athens.........!!

It sounds like The Secret to a Happy Ending and the new CD Go-Go Boots will be released in the next 3-6 months. CAN'T WAIT! Also looking forward to the 2011 tour dates. A trip to the 40 Watt is in order once the Athens dates are announced.

Lake Man

GuitarManUpstairs

Lake Man wrote:Guitar Man,

Right on brother!!! My good friends put up with my DBT obsession - my wife on the other hand not so much.....

If you haven't already, on http://www.alabamaasswhuppin.com you can get a link to hundreds of live DBT shows. I have downloaded so many of these that my IPOD nano is just about filled up. Nothing like DBT live and the dialogue between each other, and the crowd. I have other music on my IPOD, but usually just end of listening to a handfull of DBT shows.

I grew up and live in the Northeast, but am very intrigued with the whole Southern culture. I have a good friend who lives in Atlanta and everytime I visit, its hard to come back north. Maybe in my next life I will reside in Huntsville or Birmingham or Athens.........!!

It sounds like The Secret to a Happy Ending and the new CD Go-Go Boots will be released in the next 3-6 months. CAN'T WAIT! Also looking forward to the 2011 tour dates. A trip to the 40 Watt is in order once the Athens dates are announced.

Lake Man

Out of the three i probably recommend Athens...I do a lot of business there and I love the town. And i am definitely gonna hit up the 40Watt for at least one of the shows. I hope TSTAHE will be released soon but Mark Lynn burst my bubble on that earlier today...see above. Maybe i'll try to stay in denial and think he's just trying to throw us off...It is showing in Macon, GA. later in Oct. so I'm probably gonna try to make plans so that I am in town for that. Also - I have been on AAW some but have not explored it a fully as I could, thanks.