idea for a great summer tour

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

idea for a great summer tour

Post by chuckrh »

I recently posted this concept on "Via Chicago" & thought would share here as DBT involved. I went to see Neil Young with Promise of the Real backing him up in October. I have seen Neil many times & this was the best non Crazy Horse show I've seen. & I've seen him with Pearl Jam & Booker T & the MGs backing him. Anyway, for those who don't know, Promise of the Real is a young band with 2 of Willie Nelson's sons in it. They are very, very good & seemed to reenergize Neil. They were playing 2.5-3 hour shows covering Neil's whole career. There were several songs performed that Neil hadn't played live in 40 years (example: "Vampire Blues" & "Time Fades Away"). I've got most of the west coast tour on tape & it was an awesome tour. So anyway, here's my dreamish concept: an all day/night concert at venues like the the Gorge in Washington. Everybody would do nice, long sets with maybe a B stage for the setup times. The line up:
1. Neil Young with Promise of the Real
2. Wilco
3. Drive-by Truckers
4. My Morning Jacket
Is fun to dream about & a sound concept as all the fore mentioned bands definitely have excellent songs with amazing guitar. What's everyone think? I would travel for this one! PS: put Wilco as second bill just because they're a little more widely known than DBT. It was close!

oilpiers

Re: idea for a great summer tour

Post by oilpiers »

Certainly can't argue with that lineup. I have at least 6 albums from each one listed, and seen em all many times. MMJ already did the opening band thing for Wilco and Dylan, and all the feedback I heard, admittedly biased, was the order should have been reversed. Keep on Dreamin!

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I'm envious that you saw Neil do Time Fades Away and Vampire Blues. Slight correction to your post - Neil played TFA once in Germany in 2008. It's still great that he played it twice this year though.

I would love a day like you suggest in your post but I doubt it will happen. All 3 of the undercard bands can make more money by headlining their own shows than by opening for Neil Young. At least I would guess that to be true.

Neil Young & Promise of the Real will be touring the South in March 2016 and Europe in June 2016. I haven't heard anything beyond that.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Did you see Pearl Jam back up Neil on the West Coast or in Europe? I wish I had caught some of those shows in 1995 as I'm a huge fan of both Neil Young and Pearl Jam.

I've seen them play together at Bridge School Benefit but it wasn't nearly a whole show.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

I saw Neil in 1982 at UCSB during the Trans tour, where he sung through a headset connected to a primitive computer. Then I won 4 floor seats to the Weld Tour in 91, right in front of the mixing board. That was all hard Crazy Horse, not anything acoustic within a mile. Last time was SB Bowl in 03 for Greendale. 90% of the crowd had no idea it was going to be a play put to new music, and I was the only one around me that had even heard the album. Lot's of pissed off old hippies that night. I dug it.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Bill in CT wrote:Did you see Pearl Jam back up Neil on the West Coast or in Europe? I wish I had caught some of those shows in 1995 as I'm a huge fan of both Neil Young and Pearl Jam.

I've seen them play together at Bridge School Benefit but it wasn't nearly a whole show.
I saw Neil with Pearl Jam as his band at the Reading Festival. It was funny, as I'm from Seattle, that there were a bunch of Seattle bands @ Reading that year. Soundgarden & Mudhoney both played. May have been more but I'm a little fuzzy on that weekend. Lots of English beer & cider. Foo Fighters did their first UK show in a tent, I went to that. That was wild. Also saw Guided By Voices in the tent that year. Quite the weekend. Also saw Pearl Jam open for Neil with Booker T & the MGs twice. @ the Gorge in Washington, the stage got stormed during PJ. It was just carnage. A lot of people left, so I was able to walk up to the barricade & stood directly in front of Steve Cropper the whole show. That was a good one too.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

oilpiers wrote:I saw Neil in 1982 at UCSB during the Trans tour, where he sung through a headset connected to a primitive computer. Then I won 4 floor seats to the Weld Tour in 91, right in front of the mixing board. That was all hard Crazy Horse, not anything acoustic within a mile. Last time was SB Bowl in 03 for Greendale. 90% of the crowd had no idea it was going to be a play put to new music, and I was the only one around me that had even heard the album. Lot's of pissed off old hippies that night. I dug it.
I went to 2 shows on the Weld tour. By the time it got to the northwest, Social D was gone. Replaced by Drivin 'n Cryin, which was pretty cool. I got drunk with their guitar player in Portland. In Portland, there were hippies literally running out of the arena during Sonic Youth. Was very funny. I think Expressway to your Skull was the push over the cliff. The part where they start beating on their guitars with screwdrivers, haha.