Homecoming 2016 40 Watt Club Athens, GA 2/11,12 & 13

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

bovine knievel

Re: Homecoming 2016 40 Watt Club Athens, GA 2/11,12 & 13

Post by bovine knievel »

LBRod wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Jason Thrasher got some amazing shots including one that will be hanging in our living room shortly. Check 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/ThrasherPhotoAndDesign
I'll take your word for it, TC, since it won't let me see. Damn facebook anyway.
Same here!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Flea wrote:
LBRod wrote:
Beebs wrote:Alright people! It's Wednesday already.

Where the hell are my pictures?
This. I saw a lot of cameras in use, and even stood still for a few. Let's see 'em, folks.

You do realize that every picture taken steals a bit of your soul?
That's making quite an assumption, Flea.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

one belt loop wrote:
Flea wrote:
Which assumption? The theft of the soul or the existence of the soul?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
one belt loop wrote:
Flea wrote:
Which assumption? The theft of the soul or the existence of the soul?
The existence of Rod's soul.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

I resemble that remark.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Rod is a soulful motherfucker.
Now it's dark.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Flea wrote:Rod is a soulful motherfucker.
Agree, and you should have seen him eating some soul food at 3am Saturday night.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

ramonz wrote:
Agree, and you should have seen him eating some soul food at 3am Saturday night.
I'll cop to this. Well, not Rod's soulfulness, but seeing him eat soul food. Having rolled in at 3:01, though, I got nothing, which was a shame, because I'd hardly eaten all week.

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

uncle rickey wrote:
ramonz wrote:
I'll cop to this. Well, not Rod's soulfulness, but seeing him eat soul food. Having rolled in at 3:01, though, I got nothing, which was a shame, because I'd hardly eaten all week.
Wasting away before our eyes...

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

There is pulled pork where my soul should be.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I've had a chance this week to listen to the Homecoming recordings (thanks Sloan Simpson for the excellent work) and really reflect on the shows themselves. I usually position myself on or near the rail and listening to the recordings gives an entirely different feel to the shows. It's nice to hear the organ/piano up in the mix. You get a lot of guitar on the rail (which I like) but Jay's piano/organ playing is sometimes lost. I think that overall this was my favorite Homecoming of the 5 that we have attended. This version of the band has really settled into a groove and they are a joy to watch. Some thoughts:

Thursday: Opening up with Ramon Casiano took some balls, but it's certainly to be expected with this band. I think I realized I loved this song about 1 minute in. What a start! The main set continued with the usual suspects but again this band is tight and on the money. Great story intro to What It Means and hearing it live won me over. I hadn't cared for this song that much from the recordings I'd heard of it. I feel differently now. Puttin' People On the Moon was a fantastic set closer. It was balls to the wall rock and roll, check out the video footage of this song on athensrockshow.com, it's one of my favorite versions ever. I wasn't expecting much for the encore. Last year we only got 2 songs on Thurs (I felt slightly cheated to be honest). Well they made up for it this year with an 8 song encore! We got a new Cooley song, When They Banned "Imagine", and the long awaited return (for me at least) of Get Your Ass On The Plane-->Angels & Fuselage. I was exhausted by the end of the show. The crowd was a bit larger by Thursday night standards and really into the show, plenty of sing alongs, etc. Well except for those in the back of the 40 Watt who going by the recording simply talked to each other all night.

Friday: I was expecting The Living Bubba or Lookout Mountain to open the show and wasn't surprised to get Bubba. Great opener. Was glad to get The Southern Thing which seems to have been played less and less the past 18 months or so. Two news songs back to back in the middle of the main set, Ever South & Surrender Under Protest, and the horns come out for Shit Shots Count & World of Hurt. I think this is the second time I've seen DBT play with horns (Homecoming 2014) and wish they could play with a horn section more often. I was a little disappointed in the encore after Thursday's massive encore, but this band raises expectations so high sometimes it's hard to reach them. The interesting thing, and to most it won't be surprise, is how different the vibe and feel of this show was compared to the night before. It's always a good idea to see multi-night runs when you can.

Saturday: The first Saturday night show I ever saw (1/14/2012) had been my favorite DBT shows for a few years after and to this day is in my top 5. I always look forward to Night 3! The main set was phenomenal! Uncle Rickey & I were discussing during the setbreak how it had to be the potential to be the best show we've ever seen...it was show 190 for him btw. Not only was the main set long (at 2 hours) but the set was a great mix of old, new, and crowd favorites! Two new one's again tonight, and I got my first Sands of Iwo Jima. Great story intro from Patterson almost ruined by some complete dickhead yelling at a woman in the audience who was trying to get her spot back after she went to get a beer. Luckily things got straightened out. The last 45 minutes of the set was just one weekend highlight after another Marry Me->Ain't Talking 'Bout Love->Women Without Whiskey->18 Wheels of Love->Ramon Casiano->I'm 18->Zip City->Hell No I Ain't Happy...just wow! It was freakin' awesome upfront surrounded by Ramonz, Flea, PA Heathen, Uncle Rickey, Cooley Girl, Tyler, and Tracy. Also great being surrounded by a bunch of great friends. Decent encore with my all-time favorite closer People Who Died. Plenty of jumping around, dancing, and singing. After a week to reflect I think this is my favorite overall DBT show I've seen. I'm still not 100% sure, but of the 29 I've attended this show is either 1 or 2.

What can you say about a weekend seeing your favorite band with a bunch of like-minded fantastic wild and crazy friends? What I can say is the Athens Crud I've been dealing with the past 6 days has been well worth it...every cough, every headache, every time I blow my damn nose, every ache...all worth it.
Last edited by brett27295 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Miss Trixie would be happy to help you blow your nose, brett.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Oh yeah: Nice write up :) That version of PPOM on Thurs absolutely smoked. Probably my favorite version as well. To paraphrase that guy in the commercials, they don't always close w/ PPOM, but when they do it's guaranteed to be a barnburner.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Agree, great write-up Brett. I meant to tell you I loved what you did when we were getting squished into each other the last few songs of Saturday night. While I think we formally met at 2015 HC, we'd never officially "hung" until that night. Instead of letting the squish get annoying for either of us, you put your arm over my shoulder and we rawked as Siamese twins for a few songs. That was some good brotherhood shit, man.

Flea

Post by Flea »

ramonz wrote:Agree, great write-up Brett. I meant to tell you I loved what you did when we were getting squished into each other the last few songs of Saturday night. While I think we formally met at 2015 HC, we'd never officially "hung" until that night. Instead of letting the squish get annoying for either of us, you put your arm over my shoulder and we rawked as Siamese twins for a few songs. That was some good brotherhood shit, man.

Get a room.
Now it's dark.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Flea wrote:
ramonz wrote:Agree, great write-up Brett. I meant to tell you I loved what you did when we were getting squished into each other the last few songs of Saturday night. While I think we formally met at 2015 HC, we'd never officially "hung" until that night. Instead of letting the squish get annoying for either of us, you put your arm over my shoulder and we rawked as Siamese twins for a few songs. That was some good brotherhood shit, man.

Get a room.
:lol:

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Flea wrote: Get a room.
You keep making comments like that and you'll never see your precious pickle lighter again.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Brett holds all the cards here. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Rocky wrote:Brett holds all the cards here. :mrgreen:
The cards and the pickle.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Flea

Post by Flea »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Rocky wrote:Brett holds all the cards here. :mrgreen:
The cards and the pickle.

Seems to me he's making a move for Ramonz' pickle, too.
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I know people use the phrase lough out loud waaaay too much. But The Tequila Cowboy's post made me laugh out loud. For real. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Flea wrote: Seems to me he's making a move for Ramonz' pickle, too.
I don't discriminate.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Rocky wrote:I know people use the phrase lough out loud waaaay too much. But The Tequila Cowboy's post made me laugh out loud. For real. :mrgreen:
Me too :lol:

The good news is that even though Flea won't be making it to the Cat's Cradle shows his pickle lighter will. Expect some photos with various 3DDers and Mr. Pickle enjoying the show!

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

brett27295 wrote:
Rocky wrote:I know people use the phrase lough out loud waaaay too much. But The Tequila Cowboy's post made me laugh out loud. For real. :mrgreen:
Me too :lol:

The good news is that even though Flea won't be making it to the Cat's Cradle shows his pickle lighter will. Expect some photos with various 3DDers and Mr. Pickle enjoying the show!
Well Flea, it looks like you're just going to have to dill with the loss of your lighter.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Markalanbishop wrote: Well Flea, it looks like you're just going to have to dill with the loss of your lighter.

That's not a thought that I relish.
Now it's dark.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Flea wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote: Well Flea, it looks like you're just going to have to dill with the loss of your lighter.

Hang in there buddy, and keep your spearits up.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Markalanbishop wrote:
Flea wrote:

Hang in there buddy, and keep your spearits up.

Is this the bread-and-butter of your punditry? That's kosher.
Now it's dark.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

brett27295 wrote: Uncle Rickey & I were discussing during the setbreak how it had to be the potential to be the best show we've ever seen...
I've been thinking about that a lot since the show. It's all subjective and wholly personal, of course (I severely doubt that the people in the vicinity of the jerkwad that Patterson singled out were having as good a time as we were), and while I can't put a definitive ranking on my favorite DBT shows I've seen, some nights everything just clicks into place and you know you've experienced something special and memorable.

Anyway, sorry for the thread derail. Feel free to go back to gherkin Flea around...

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

uncle rickey wrote:
brett27295 wrote: Uncle Rickey & I were discussing during the setbreak how it had to be the potential to be the best show we've ever seen...
I've been thinking about that a lot since the show. It's all subjective and wholly personal, of course (I severely doubt that the people in the vicinity of the jerkwad that Patterson singled out were having as good a time as we were), and while I can't put a definitive ranking on my favorite DBT shows I've seen, some nights everything just clicks into place and you know you've experienced something special and memorable.
I have a difficult time doing a hard ranking of shows I've seen, though I have favorites. I can say that the run from Marry Me to the end of the main set is the best 45-50 minutes or so of live DBT I've personally witnessed.