Homecoming 2016 40 Watt Club Athens, GA 2/11,12 & 13

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Homecoming 2016 40 Watt Club Athens, GA 2/11,12 & 13

Post by beantownbubba »

lotusamerica wrote:This weekend I recognized true grit in the eyes of one of our own, BTB, as he took in both Grand Canyon and PWD with grace. I tried to make a couple of supportive comments, but fell far short of the mark, and was happy to see OTB lovingly hold on and sway beside him to PWD. BTB, I can't possibly imagine the pain involved in losing a child, and the challenges involved in finding your way back to living again and I wish you and your wife and family peace as I imagine there is no such thing as getting over it or past it but just continuing on anyway.
Thank you, lotus. For me personally and perhaps as guidance for future events that I hope don't occur in anyone's life but which will probably happen to someone, 'cause life is like that: there's no such thing as falling short of the mark. The situation is impossible, nothing can fix it. There's only making the effort or not. Making the effort matters. It costs so little and means so much.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

This place; these people <shakes head in wonder>

Bad timing on my part: I didn't read some waiting pm's until after I posted above. I won't post them because they're private so let me just say that what I wrote above was 100% correct. Collectively and individually you guys [gender neutral term] are the best.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

beantownbubba wrote:The wood duck, richard nixon quotes and pickle lighters all making appearances in the homecoming thread. This wkend keeps getting better.
Good to see you again, sir!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Homecoming 2016 40 Watt Club Athens, GA 2/11,12 &

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Seven years ago, after Homecoming 2009, I wrote a post here (or rather our predecessor forum 9B) extolling the life changing experience that was my first HeAthens Homecoming. Yeah, I didn't have a clue. In the years since I've met and gotten to know some of my very dearest friends, experienced some of the greatest Rock Shows and most importantly and astoundingly, met, started dating and married my wife all at various Homecomings. The 3DD and larger HeAthens community take this one weekend (ok more like week now) a year and pour ourselves into this thing heart and soul.

This year Lurleen and I got into town in Monday and mixed some work in but were still able to break bread with friends, soak in Athens again and see some other live music besides DBT. Hell, thanks to Cole Taylor of the DBT crew we even got some wrasslin' in. The main events were nothing other than amazing. The Camp Amped kids are always a treat but we actually got a graduate band from Nuci's this year in Monsoon. I know reaction was mixed on them, I personally dug the hell out of them, but Sienna Chandler proved herself a real talent and to see graduates of that wonderful program do so well is more than gratifying. Then after that warm up DBT brought us slow burner of a show with 25(!) songs over 2 1/2 plus hours featuring, as they would all weekend, many of the new songs from the upcoming record. After the show all over the room you heard people say simply "Thursday" and smile knowing it was only starting. Friday brought the very welcome return of Dave Marr and his band of Athens all star musicians and they played Dave's awesome new songs for us. Then of course there was Will Johnson who is both of my favorite musicians and people on the planet. You can never have too much of his awesome music. All that was followed by a rocking set that was shorter, but more intense, than Thursday's show. Southern Thing was a revelation among other highlights. Friday brought more Will Johnson, this time on electric guitar, followed by Five Eight who were, in a word, spectacular. Then the final Rock Show that was likely the best of a very strong 3 night run. Ain't Talkin' Bout Love. Just sayin'.

Of course this thing always has the end and every year it ends with more good friends, more smiles, the obligatory and awesome group picture, and more hugs than one person deserves. Some of those hugs have to last another year and some just a few weeks but they convey what this thing is all about; shared love of music, the love of good people and that you know that there is always a place where you belong in a community based around a talented band of outstanding people and the equally wonderful people around them. From the band, the crew, Nuci's Space and all the people that entails there is warmth and good feelings. In 2016 those things can be in short supply, but not among this group of HeAthens and not in Athens at Homecoming. No sir.

I often think back to that first Homecoming I attended and the post I made here following that and put that in context with everything that followed. I feel I have to pinch myself. We've all been through exhilarating times and tragic ones over the years and we've come out the other side with richer friendships and a deeper meaning to the event itself. I'll join with lotusamerica in what he said regarding Beantown Bubba. If there was one person we needed there this year it was him. We needed to give him extra hugs, extra smiles and to see him in his customary spot at the Tiki bar rocking with the rest with grace and gravity. Jeff is one of my dearest friends and seeing him this year was good for my soul and I hope(and believe) his. Someone here once took great exception to me calling this a community several years back but time has more than proven that it is one and the best kind too. You motherfuckers helped in raising $18,000 for Nuci's between the tee shirts, DVD fundraiser, the inaugural low country boil and the silent auction. We laughed, we cried, we Rocked and we did good. If that's not a community I don't know what is.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

I know I'm not alone in this, but I can't overstate how much the palpable 3DD sense of community adds to my enjoyment of the Truckers. There's always a friendly face to stand next to and share a smile or a high five when something awesome happens onstage. I've said it before and I'll say it again--I'm honored and proud to be a part of it.

These 3 nights were a transcendent musical experience. I was trying to explain why to my wife and she says, "It sounds like they've picked up the level of professionalism." I think that's close to being right, but I would say that they have a renewed investment in the band and the music that manifests itself by, among other things, becoming more professional onstage. And by that I mean that they clearly recognize that this lineup is the best sounding band in their history and they have committed to seeing how far they can push the envelope. They are fully communicating with and actively listening to each other onstage, which is why and how they have been able to change the arrangement and feel of much of the older material for the better. And this recommitment to the band and the music is self-perpetuating because nobody wants to be the one to let the others down by not playing their absolute best on any given night.

I know BTB and I have talked about how this band now "swings", which I think is a perfect description. Call it what you will, being "in the groove" or being "funky" or whatever, it all comes down to having an indescribable feel which can't be precisely defined, but you know it when you hear it. The Truckers are playing at a whole new level right now and I think we all hear it. See you at the Rock Show.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

That's some good stuff right there, TC and MAB. Mighty fine.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Smitty wrote:

my favorite of the new ones... the cowgirl hipster song
You'll feel like shit soon enough
Didn't know you made it, Smitty. Someday we will officially meet.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Cole Younger wrote: Getting to see Rolank K and dog star. Dog Star was the first 3ddner I ever met. That was great entry into this crowd. Our conversation at Flicker before the show on night two was awesome. I could have stayed in there and talked to y'all until closing time if not for the show.
Indeed, CY. That was really nice meting and talking to you again. To be continued...

And to all the rest of you: As I am finally back home and in front a functioning keyboard I feel the urgency to say this: Without the proper guidance and advice of my British travel companion (that would be dogstar for those in doubt) for the grand finale at Saturdays show I managed to walk out of the 40 Watt after the encore without having the decency to hug everyones necks and say "thank you, goodbye and safe travels" in a civilized manner. I guess I could blame my Norwegian-ness, but I choose to blame Clams instead. I also suspect being dead tired and just emotionally exhausted after three days of what may have been my top musical (and otherwise) experience ever, may have had something to do with it. See you at the Rockshow! (or the 'rickshaw' as my auto-correct insists on).
A Norwegian w/ a sense of humor Americans understand. This really is a special group :)

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

The music and the love... around you and through you and into your bones.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

laraelisabeth

Post by laraelisabeth »

Wood duck! Sorry I missed you!!!
there's no comfort in survival but I guess it's the best option I've found

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

Wonderful synopsis' have been posted above by intelligent and eloquent fans of one of the most special bands I have ever fallen in love with.

The band, the music, the communtiry and the love make the total so, so much betterr than the sum of the parts.
It was an incredibly special time. Yet again.

I know there will be many more DBT shows to see in the months ahead (excited to see both Brooklyn shows in a few weeks with my former northern neighbor Jonicont),

But

I certainly look forward to seeing ya'll again next year for HeAthens Homecoming 2017.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

The website www.AthensRockShow.com has some great video up from Homecoming for those of you like me who are back at work and missing Athens. Is Daniel Peiken a member here? Athens Rock Show is a fantastic website!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

I'm not going to add too much. Each and every one of you motherfuckers knows how I feel about you. In the past, I've seen the word "community" downplayed on this board, and I never understood why, my best guess is that whomever thought that was an inappropriate word, has never been to HC.

I won't list any names or specific experiences here. Only that tears were shed with friends on several occasions. And since I don't seem capable of tears anymore, that's hugely significant to me. I laughed harder than I have in a year as well. (I need someone to do a study, there is something special about that little 3x15 piece of concrete outside of Cutters). The music was great as always, but for me it's always been about you guys.

Just one little note to add, kind of bouncing off and personalizing some of what Bubba said above. Never, and I mean NEVER, feel bad, or awkward asking me about the Mrs. Of course I'm there to have fun, and escape, but there I'm also down there for therapy. I love to talk about home to people who care, I tend to be the one who tries not to bring it up so I don't bring the room down. Many people start that particular conversation with, "I don' know if I should ask, but..." Yes you should ask! And that doesn't just go for me, it goes for anybody else you know in trouble.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all. for making this weekend what it is.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hey y'all - really enjoyed reading the passionate reviews, especially Beantown Bubba's.

I caught almost all of the stream from Saturday night and I really liked the first new song that Patterson played. He said it was premiered that night.

And seriously that was the BEST Southern Thing I ever heard. Listen to the recording.
Last edited by Rocky on Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

laraelisabeth wrote:Wood duck! Sorry I missed you!!!
Prolly didn't recognize me. Shapeshifter.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

WoodDuck wrote:
Glad we got you in a tangible moment. Good to see you Duck!

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

WoodDuck wrote:
As always. Next year brother.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

sloansimpson

Post by sloansimpson »

http://southernshelter.com/2016/02/five ... 016-02-13/

Five Eight - 2016-02-13
40 Watt Club - Athens, GA

01) Everything I Say
02) The Only One
03) The Ballad Of Frankie Jr.
04) Criminal
05) You Never Look In My Eyes
06) Motorcycle
07) Palace Estates
08) Little Black Cloud*
09) Song For Jim Gordon
10) Magnetic Fields

* w/ Gabriel Mantione - trumpet

[Opened for Drive-By Truckers]

www.fiveeight.com

Mike Mantione - guitar, vocal
Sean Dunn - guitar
Dan Horowitz - bass
Patrick "Tigger" Ferguson - drums

Source: Neumann KM-184(DIN)> Lunatec V2> Tascam DR-680(24/48)>
HDD> Reaper(DSP)> CDWave

Recorded and mastered by Sloan Simpson

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

sloansimpson wrote:http://southernshelter.com/2016/02/five ... 016-02-13/

Five Eight - 2016-02-13
40 Watt Club - Athens, GA

01) Everything I Say
02) The Only One
03) The Ballad Of Frankie Jr.
04) Criminal
05) You Never Look In My Eyes
06) Motorcycle
07) Palace Estates
08) Little Black Cloud*
09) Song For Jim Gordon
10) Magnetic Fields

* w/ Gabriel Mantione - trumpet

[Opened for Drive-By Truckers]

http://www.fiveeight.com

Mike Mantione - guitar, vocal
Sean Dunn - guitar
Dan Horowitz - bass
Patrick "Tigger" Ferguson - drums

Source: Neumann KM-184(DIN)> Lunatec V2> Tascam DR-680(24/48)>
HDD> Reaper(DSP)> CDWave

Recorded and mastered by Sloan Simpson
That is how you open a show. Will J slayed in a "le noise" kinda way, but five eight destroyed.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Preach, Smitty. That Everything I Say was awesome.

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

RolanK wrote:And to all the rest of you: As I am finally back home and in front a functioning keyboard I feel the urgency to say this: Without the proper guidance and advice of my British travel companion (that would be dogstar for those in doubt) for the grand finale at Saturdays show I managed to walk out of the 40 Watt after the encore without having the decency to hug everyones necks and say "thank you, goodbye and safe travels" in a civilized manner.
Did you avoid the Athens crud by leaving early though? :D

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

LBRod wrote:Preach, Smitty. That Everything I Say was awesome.
With "everything I say" and Will playing "Bakersfield" (I think), I figured we'd get "when I ran off and left her"
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Alright people! It's Wednesday already.

Where the hell are my pictures?
Beebs is not a ragey man

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Jason Thrasher got some amazing shots including one that will be hanging in our living room shortly. Check 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/ThrasherPhotoAndDesign

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

ilockyer wrote:
RolanK wrote:And to all the rest of you: As I am finally back home and in front a functioning keyboard I feel the urgency to say this: Without the proper guidance and advice of my British travel companion (that would be dogstar for those in doubt) for the grand finale at Saturdays show I managed to walk out of the 40 Watt after the encore without having the decency to hug everyones necks and say "thank you, goodbye and safe travels" in a civilized manner.
No. I think I got it too. Yourself?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

RolanK wrote:
ilockyer wrote:
No. I think I got it too. Yourself?
Ah, wondered if you'd stumbled on the secret to avoiding it by leaving at the end! :D
Not feeling great, but think it's more jetlag than anything, perhaps the two hour walk in -10c NYC on Sunday night helped kill it off, or it'll bite my ass tomorrow when I've got to go back to work!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Jason Trasher
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Jason Thrasher got some amazing shots including one that will be hanging in our living room shortly. Check 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/ThrasherPhotoAndDesign
I'll take your word for it, TC, since it won't let me see. Damn facebook anyway.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Beebs wrote:Alright people! It's Wednesday already.

This. I saw a lot of cameras in use, and even stood still for a few. Let's see 'em, folks.

Flea

Post by Flea »

LBRod wrote:
Beebs wrote:Alright people! It's Wednesday already.

This. I saw a lot of cameras in use, and even stood still for a few. Let's see 'em, folks.

You do realize that every picture taken steals a bit of your soul?
Now it's dark.