Homecoming 2016 40 Watt Club Athens, GA 2/11,12 & 13

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Beaverdam

Re: Homecoming 2016 40 Watt Club Athens, GA 2/11,12 & 13

Post by Beaverdam »

Shit my pants on shit shots count!!!!!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Beaverdam wrote:Shit my pants on shit shots count!!!!!
Well crap, "world of hurt"

It's fuckin great to listen to a stream.

Thanks Tom and the comets and Sheldon cooper

Narducci19

Post by Narducci19 »

it's f***ing great to be alive!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Dead drunk and naked was my first favorite DBT song

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

My buddy Beef and I latched on after buying sro and about almost drove my wife crazy on a drive to Georgia playing ddn reoeatedly

Hud

Post by Hud »

Beaverdam wrote:Dead drunk and naked was my first favorite DBT song
:)
Mine too,thought it was 'get drunk and naked' for a while
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

My buddy Beef and I latched on after buying sro and about almost drove my wife crazy on a drive to Georgia playing ddn repeatedly. She's a good woman but that's a damn good song!!!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Big tom, I lift my glass and smile!! Thanks for the stream!,!!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Old fashioneds are great online

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Last night may have been sold out but tonight was SOLD OUT. Much more crowded up front tonight compared to Thursday. Fantastic main set, encore less epic then last night. Got a swallow of Patterson's tequila along with most of the front 2 rows. Fun was had by all tonight! Hard to believe tomorrow is Night 3 already.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shortly after the bad finished playing "The Southern Thing" I thought the story of the night was going to be the incredible and surprising re-working of the song. Led by Matt's funky as hell bass (including an actual bass solo for the first time in memory) the band mixed southern rock, heavy metal and disco into a heady stew that was a tour de force. It was breathtaking. And then pretty much every song they played after Southern Thing was a raving over the top gem.

Big crowd singing the loudest singalongs I can remember at a club show. Between the band and the audience it was deafening at times.

A 2 person horn section made a brief appearance as did Will Johnson.

This is shaping up to be a very memorable weekend.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

To paraphrase Robert Christgau's review of English Oceans, this isn't just two nights of epic shows by a major American band, this is something new. Here's my (true) opinion :D Virtually everything about them seems new to me since Homecoming of last year: the incredible closeness that musicians only develop while constantly on the road; the new arrangements, dynamics, and feel of much of the older material; the expansion and elevation of Matt's and Jay's roles; and Brad playing with more energy, empathy, and musicality than ever. EZB deserves the highest praise a drummer can earn--he plays musically.

I'm including the Mattador in this too. After playing together tons, great bands invariably end up mixing themselves in a live situation. Because the stage mix is so right on, Matt is free to express his creativity by highlighting certain passages or phrases or soloists as he feels it that particular night. For example, I was in Cooleyville tonight but never had an issue hearing Jay's or Patterson's guitar or keyboard parts. And I love how every so often he'll crank Patton's bass line for a phrase or two to emphasis the feel of the song.

However, tonight's most important question is: Did Patterson have a Marco Rubio moment when he quoted the same Patti Smith line (Love one another, motherfuckers) almost back to back? Did anyone else notice that or did one of those gravitational waves they just discovered knock me off my cosmic surf board? One more night to go. What the fuck are they going to do to top these first two? Can't fucking wait.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

laraelisabeth

Post by laraelisabeth »

Setlist 2/12/16 for anyone who wasn't able to get on the stream or was there but needs a refresher :

The Living Bubba
Gravity's Gone
Sinkhole
WTDDS
The Southern Thing
Surrender Under Protest
Ever South
1st Air of Autumn
What It Means
3 Dimes Down
Play It All Night Long > Ain't That Pretty At All > Play It All Night Long
Shit Shots Count*
World of Hurt**
Marry Me
Dead Drunk & Naked
Guitar Man Upstairs
Hell No I Ain't Happy

Encore:

Birthday Boy
Righteous Path
Zip City
Grand Canyon***

*w/ horns
**w/ horns and Will Johnson
*** w/ Will Johnson
there's no comfort in survival but I guess it's the best option I've found

Hud

Post by Hud »

Markalanbishop wrote: One more night to go. What the fuck are they going to do to top these first two? Can't fucking wait.
Goode's Field Road, Mother Fuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Two nights, about 47 songs and about 6 repeats. And they still haven't played songs like Mercy Buckets, Space City, Let There Be Rock, Daddy's Cup (a man can dream, can't he?), Uncle Frank, Pauline Hawkins, Primer Coat, Lookout Mtn and on and on ... I'd call that a pretty deep catalog.

No, MAB, I don't think patterson intended the duplicate Patti Smith quote. I can't remember which song but we also had the obligatory Cooley forgetting the lyrics for a moment moment. Is that irony, coincidence or yet another sign of my advanced age?

Another stunning performance last nite. A little shorter than Thursday but I don't think anyone felt shortchanged. More guitar from Jay but the keys still figured prominently and as mark noted, matt was featured ever more prominently to great effect and good point, mark, about the Mattador's skill behind the board.

I've run out of ways to say that this is a great band at the absolute top of their game. I don't claim to be anything close to objective but I can defend the claim that right now they are the best rock band in the world, no caveats or exceptions. Sure as shit better than Coldplay, who got to play (or whatever it was they were doing) before a few hundred million people last week. In case you haven't heard, life ain't fair.

On a personal note, I've gotta say that Patterson about tore my heart out w/ his intro to Grand Canyon, paying tribute to members of the "DBT familly" who have died in the past year or 2. Patterson didn't say anything inappropriate or wrong or anything like that, it just hit home in a distinctly personal and deep way. Thanks to RolanK for the support.

I'm pretty much ready to declare it a rule that when the show starts w/ "Living Bubba" it's gonna e a good night. :D

The new songs were all excellent and continue to whet my appetite for the new album (I've heard they're aiming for a September release). As i said last nite, the show kicked into another gear w/ the extraordinary version of "The Southern Thing" but it turned bout that it wasn't a peak, just a really, really high plateau because pretty much everything that came after was sheer joy. It's still hard to believe that "Play It All Night Long" is a cover. It is a perfect DBT song and they wrung every last bit of goodness out of it last nite. "World of Hurt" was off the charts, but it's unfair to single out any song/performance. Was hoping for "Girls Who Smoke" after "Birthday Boy" but no complaints about the way it played out. They did do the "individual walk off thing" on Grand Canyon after not doing it on "A&F" on Thursday.

And there's still one more night!!!

phungi

Post by phungi »

beantownbubba wrote:I can't remember which song but we also had the obligatory Cooley forgetting the lyrics for a moment moment. Is that irony, coincidence or yet another sign of my advanced age?!!!
I believe it was First Air Autumn, if that adds to the irony...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So I had my epiphany of the weekend last night between Surrender Under Protest (If You Must)* and Ever South.

I've said before it seems to me that Cooley is the radical of the band. What occurred to me last night was that Patterson is the conservative of the band. Not in any right-left, liberal-reactionary sense of the word, but in the sense of valuing and preserving the histories that need valued and preserved. Cooley might just burn it down; Patterson is likeliest to keep it whole.

*What is the other half of that chorus, the line that precedes and follows that one? This bounty of riches, this cornucopia of Cooley, it's driving me crazy!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Sh*t Shot

Post by Sh*t Shot »

Anyone get any photos of the shirts, posters, and other assorted merch from this weekends shows?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Ok. Just got in the door. I didn't get in any hurry leaving Athens because, well, I didn't want to leave. But I'm super thankful for the two days and nights that I had.

As bubba said to me last night when we were saying our goodbyes, ""it's never enough time." So true.

Lots of highlights. Too many to name and right now I'm not even going to try. Great seeing y'all this weekend. And those of you that met my buddy Mike who got in Athens just late enough to barely miss the hang out yesterday, you made him feel like part of the family.

Im going to list some of my favorite parts of the weekend later on but for now y'all have a big time tonight and be careful. See you next time.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Sorry folks. We won't be able to stream tonight due to technical difficulties
Always go to the show

Hud

Post by Hud »

Jonicont wrote:Sorry folks. We won't be able to stream tonight due to technical difficulties
The past 2 nights have been absolutely Kick ass and the sound has been so good. Many times I wondered ..why does this stream sound so good? New equipment? Moved me so much I purchased cats cradle tix this morning.
Thanks for sharing with us that are not fortunate enough to be there. have a great time tonight , hopefully the tape will be rolling....so many nuggets still left for the makings of an epic show tonight!

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Good lord Night #3 was insane. I've seen DBT 29x, it was either #1 or 2 all-time for me. #SweetBabyJesus

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

Sands of Iwo Jima!

laraelisabeth

Post by laraelisabeth »

2/13/16 Setlist:

Tornadoes
Gravity's Gone
Lookout Mtn.
72 (This Highway's Mean)
Goode's Field Road
English Oceans
The Righteous Path
WTDDS
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Sands of Iwo Jima
new Cooley song: parts I caught- dog days... everyone tried...)
new Patterson song: (Cascades... callin' my name from the windows outside the door..)
Marry Me
Ain't Talkin' Bout Love
Women Without Whiskey
18 Wheels
Ramon Casiano
I'm Eighteen
Zip City
Hell No I Ain't Happy

Encore:
LTBR*
Birthday Boy*
Girls Who Smoke*
3 Dimes Down*
People Who Died**

*w/ Will Johnson
** w/ Will Johnson, David Barbe, and Wyatt the monitor guy whose last name I don't know
there's no comfort in survival but I guess it's the best option I've found

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

There are now 2 kinds of people in the world: Those who were at the 40 Watt Club on the night of 13-14 February, 2016 and those who were not. I fear that sounds obnoxious and that's not my intent at all. But fer real, you had to be there. It was completely over the top. Imagine a typical graph. You've got your left hand vertical and your bottom horizontal. Now find the spot 50 up and 50 over. That was "Tornadoes." Then imagine a line from that point going straight up and to the right. That was the rest of the show. More than one person said that it might be the best show they'd ever seen. Taking the easy way out I'll just say that it's certainly a contender.

Time for a little testifying: I was 57 years old on the night of 13-14 February, 2016 when rock 'n roll saved my life. I was in a deep dark hole, the kind that strikes without warning or reason and which had me shedding tears at the bar. Not bawling or anything, but still it was not a good moment(s). Then the boys hit the stage and the rest, as they say, is history. It is a rare and wonderful talent to be able to have that kind of impact on people and it is a rare and wonderful experience to be impacted that way. I am in your debt, gentlemen.

Goode's Field Road: P-Funk met the Allman Brothers and the gods danced.

If Bootsy Collins is the rockingest funk bassist, Matt Patton is the funkiest rock bassist. Dude can just flat out play. And Jay's remarkable ability to impact and color every song from each of his instruments continues to delight and astonish me. Somebody, perhaps Greil Marcus, once described Duane Allman's playing on "Loan Me a Dime" as a concise history of the electric guitar. On one of the early songs tonight, sorry i cant remember which one just now, Jay soloed on both organ and electric piano and between the 2 covered a substantial portion of the history of soul and blues keyboard playing. As I said to Jonicont, more or less, Jay's fills on both keys and guitar are always tasteful and generally propel the songs along while his solos can go in any direction, often stretching boundaries and going off in surprising directions heading towards "experimental" while staying solidly w/in the parameters of the songs.

These guys have a sense of humor: Cooley asked if anybody had been proposed to tonight and nobody responded. Undeterred, he said it might still happen and launched into "Marry Me." Patterson then followed up w/ "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love." Well I thought it was pretty funny.

Once again, the new songs sparkled. Ramon Casiano is already evolving sounding somehow both more rock and more Latin tonight.

There are maybe a half dozen or so basketball teams that have a claim on the title of "greatest team of all time." The 1969-70 Knicks might be at the bottom of that list or might not even be on it, but they were probably the most perfect team, the most aesthetically satisfying team, that I ever saw. I see some similarities to DBT. You've got EZB holding down the middle like Willis Reed, undersized but w/ the heart of a lion. I wasn't 100% sure what MAB meant yesterday when he said that Brad was a "musical" drummer, but I heard it tonight. Don't know if i can explain it, but i got it. Jay is the Bill Bradley, the swiss army knife of the team, able to fill multiple roles without a glitch and the oil that keeps the machine moving smoothly, occasionally bursting forth in a starring role but always supporting the whole in ways obvious and obscure, combining superior brain power w/ serious talent. Matt can be nobody other than Walt Frazier, the coolest guy in the room with mad skills. Patterson is Dave DeBuscherre, the very talented and always dependable guy who sometimes gets overlooked because he's white and can't dance. And w/ apologies to Dick Barnett, Cooley is Cazzie Russell, the intuitive spark who may not have the best fundamentals but who can turn a game around in a heartbeat w/ a display of talent that the rest of us can only dream of. (Cooley blew a whole verse of "Marry Me" tonight but still scored 30, and there wasn't even a 3 point shot). And yeah, I'm sure not one of them is at all interested in a sports analogy. Sorry, it's what i got.

Kudos to OBL for being less than a minute off in predicting a reference to Justice Scalia's death (Cooley saying that sometimes he wished he believed in hell).

A truly magical weekend both in and out of the 40 Watt w/ 3 absolutely top notch, thrilling shows and great times all over town, from the hotel to restaurants to just walking the streets to Nuci's big blowout this afternoon (i hear a LOT of money was raised; there sure were a LOT of people - the event has just exploded). Thanks to everyone who played a part in making the weekend happen. Travel safely and let's do it again soon. Oh, and I got to cross a bunch of very cool people off my life list from the much rumored about but seldom seen smitty (and the lovely and awesome mrs. smitty) to the beautiful ngb (along w/ her alsum nephew catching his first rock show and becoming an immediate convert) to the talented ramonz to the ever interesting flea and more. Plus a cameo from the re-emergent Penny Lane.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Nice work BTB. You da man, for sure.

Just sitting here at 4:30 in the morning drinking bourbon sours (I blame Clams of course) like it's my job and contemplating what we were lucky enough to experience this weekend. Too late/early for me to form a coherent train of thought so I'm just laying around in the aftermath absorbing the experience. In the meantime, I'm in one hundred percent geek heaven opening all the new Trucker albums I got tonight. I don't think Paul was sure I was serious when I walked up and said, "I want the entire DBT catalogue on vinyl." Of course the flip side to my purchase is that I may turn up missing after my wife finds out, so I'm counting on you guys to tell my story :D Safe travels everyone.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

just got home.
didn't think the 2004 Tipitina's show would ever be topped for me, but I think it has.
so happy to see everyone; I made the trip for that reason alone, and getting into the show was serendipitous.
I'm gone to bed. more tomorrow.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

^^^^^ What y'all said!!'
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Had a few moments to put things in perspective over coffee this morning. I'm pretty sure that was the best Homecoming of the 5 we've attended & the best run of shows we've ever seen. More thoughts later when I've had a day or two to put it all in perspective.

Special shout out to our good friends and singing mates up front that made last night that much better: Uncle Rickey, CooleyGirl, PA Heathen, Flea, Ramonz, and anyone else near us I may have forgotten. There's nothing better than seeing your favorite band with people you've rocked out with many times before!