New songs thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

New songs thread

Post by Smitty »

With all the new songs being debuted, I think it's safe to say such a politically charged record will be perfect for an election year.
Last edited by Smitty on Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Eyes Above It

Re: speculation

Post by Eyes Above It »

Smitty wrote:With all the new songs being debuted, I think it's safe to say such a politically charged record will be perfect for an election year.
If Trump gets the Republican nomination Im sure Patterson will have plenty to say about it :lol:

Flea

Post by Flea »

Eyes Above It wrote:
Smitty wrote:With all the new songs being debuted, I think it's safe to say such a politically charged record will be perfect for an election year.
If Trump gets the Republican nomination Im sure Patterson will have plenty to say about it :lol:

That would certainly be bad for the country, but excellent for Patterson's creative output. A Trumphyrrhic Victory, in some fashion.
Now it's dark.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Flea wrote:[A Trumphyrrhic Victory, in some fashion.
Nice :D Can "Carsonogenic" be far behind? I'll be here all week, try the veal it's excellent.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

heaven's calling my name from the hallway outside the door

Clams

Re: New songs thread

Post by Clams »

So we know they are recording a new record this week. Rumor on FB is that Dave Cobb is somehow involved.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Clams wrote:So we know they are recording a new record this week.
Oh wow. News to me.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

David Barbe was in Nashville Saturday night if that means anything.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:So we know they are recording a new record this week. Rumor on FB is that Dave Cobb is somehow involved.
I'd like to see them work without Barbe (break out the comfort zone), but Cobb is extremely hit or miss.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Smitty wrote:I'd like to see them work without Barbe (break out the comfort zone)
plus 1.

who produces the blitzen trapper records?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Al Kooper
Jack White
Steve Cropper
Bob Dylan
Brian Henneman
Peter Buck
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I guess I'm one of the few that didn't know they had started recording. I've got mixed feelings about them possibly working with Dave Cobb. I hate for Barbe to not be involved simply because I like him. He's the one person connected with the band that I've ever met and he was real cool. He acted like he would have been happy to stand there and talk for an hour if I had wanted to.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

My only real experience with Cobb is Isbell and Houndmouth, which are produced very differently. I don't have a solid idea of how a Cobb-produced DBT record would sound
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:My only real experience with Cobb is Isbell and Houndmouth, which are produced very differently. I don't have a solid idea of how a Cobb-produced DBT record would sound
Haven't ever listened to Houmdmouth but have listened to the two he did with Jason, the two with Sturgill, and Chris Stapleton's record. All are somewhat different. I have no idea what it would sound like either. I just like Barbe. It might be great though.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:My only real experience with Cobb is Isbell and Houndmouth, which are produced very differently. I don't have a solid idea of how a Cobb-produced DBT record would sound
Haven't ever listened to Houmdmouth but have listened to the two he did with Jason, the two with Sturgill, and Chris Stapleton's record. All are somewhat different. I have no idea what it would sound like either. I just like Barbe. It might be great though.
Cobb doesn't seem to be a producer who tries to force his "style" onto the artist. The Isbell records are very controlled, very austere. The Houndmouth records are basically the band playing live in the studio, warts and all

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

My guess, if Barbe was in Nashville, was that they were just going to use Cobb's studio with Barbe working with Cobb's engineer who would know the setup there.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

zoid

Post by zoid »

On facebook Patterson posted a picture of Sound Emporium and commented: "Had what was probably the most amazing 3 days of recording in our band's history this week. What a phenomenal studio with so much history and vibe. What an experience."

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

dogstar wrote:My guess, if Barbe was in Nashville, was that they were just going to use Cobb's studio with Barbe working with Cobb's engineer who would know the setup there.
This is my guess as well.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

So they're shooting for a September release, in time for the election. I'm fucking loving Cooley's counterpart to "What it Means", " Ramon Casiano". It may be my favorite of the new ones so far. I think we heard yesterday that 9 songs were cut in Nashville, and they recorded another Cooley song yesterday, which I think is what theory debuted last night (the hipster cowgirl song, unofficial name of course)

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Smitty wrote:So they're shooting for a September release, in time for the election. I'm fucking loving Cooley's counterpart to "What it Means", " Ramon Casiano". It may be my favorite of the new ones so far. I think we heard yesterday that 9 songs were cut in Nashville, and they recorded another Cooley song yesterday, which I think is what theory debuted last night (the hipster cowgirl song, unofficial name of course)
I LOVE Ramon Casiano, by far my favorite of the new ones we've heard. I've listened to it several time's since I downloaded the shows, read the backstory, and tried to figure out some of the missing lyrics. Just a great song from start to finish
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Cooley's on some kind of hot streak right now. Ramon Casiano, Surrender Under Protest, and the cowgirl hipster song all sound like future classics.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

brett27295 wrote:
Smitty wrote:So they're shooting for a September release, in time for the election. I'm fucking loving Cooley's counterpart to "What it Means", " Ramon Casiano". It may be my favorite of the new ones so far. I think we heard yesterday that 9 songs were cut in Nashville, and they recorded another Cooley song yesterday, which I think is what theory debuted last night (the hipster cowgirl song, unofficial name of course)
I LOVE Ramon Casiano, by far my favorite of the new ones we've heard. I've listened to it several time's since I downloaded the shows, read the backstory, and tried to figure out some of the missing lyrics. Just a great song from start to finish
I am a pro gun/2nd amendment guy, and I love Ramon Casiano FWIW. Great song.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Eyes Above It wrote:I am a pro gun/2nd amendment guy, and I love Ramon Casiano FWIW. Great song.
Yep. Those of us who are only mildly enthusiastic about the second amendment need to realize not all the pro-gun people in the world think it's a fine idea to go around killing people for no good reason. The last thing that song is about is responsible gun ownership.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Was it 8 or 9 new songs we were treated with during this past weekend? I lost count. This has made me very excited about the album; Surrender, Casiano and Ever South may be my favorites at the moment, but it's hard to say after only one or two listenings. Ramon Casiano kept playing in my head post-show all through Sunday. Can't say I have experienced that very often when artists have showcased brand new songs during live shows.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

John A Arkansawyer

RolanK wrote:Was it 8 or 9 new songs we were treated with during this past weekend? I lost count. This has made me very excited about the album; Surrender, Casiano and Ever South may be my favorites at the moment, but it's hard to say after only one or two listenings. Ramon Casiano kept playing in my head post-show all through Sunday. Can't say I have experienced that very often when artists have showcased brand new songs during live shows.
Seven, I think, unless I've missed some:
  • New: Ramon Casiano (x2)
    New: What It Means (x2)
    Premiere: When They Banned "Imagine"
    Premiere: Surrender Under Protest (If You Must)
    Band Premiere: Ever South
    Premiere: Hipster Surfer Girl
    New: The Guns of Umpqua
A note: While this was the first time, so far as I know, the band has played Ever South in public, Patterson debuted it in Little Rock and played it both nights he was there. We got a lot of really good stuff that weekend and none of us have really written a full account. I myself honestly felt a little bad for those of you who weren't there and didn't want to brag.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

It's kind of hard to listen to the recording of When They Banned "Imagine", thanks to the chatterboxes in back, but I assume (till I learn otherwise) this song touches on 9/11 and the Clear Channel memo about songs to not play afterward. If I'm wrong, please tell me now, before I get too invested in this theory.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:It's kind of hard to listen to the recording of When They Banned "Imagine", thanks to the chatterboxes in back, but I assume (till I learn otherwise) this song touches on 9/11 and the Clear Channel memo about songs to not play afterward. If I'm wrong, please tell me now, before I get too invested in this theory.
That was my thought at the time, John.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
RolanK wrote:Was it 8 or 9 new songs we were treated with during this past weekend? I lost count. This has made me very excited about the album; Surrender, Casiano and Ever South may be my favorites at the moment, but it's hard to say after only one or two listenings. Ramon Casiano kept playing in my head post-show all through Sunday. Can't say I have experienced that very often when artists have showcased brand new songs during live shows.
Seven, I think, unless I've missed some:
  • New: Ramon Casiano (x2)
    New: What It Means (x2)
    Premiere: When They Banned "Imagine"
    Premiere: Surrender Under Protest (If You Must)
    Band Premiere: Ever South
    Premiere: Hipster Surfer Girl
    New: The Guns of Umpqua
A note: While this was the first time, so far as I know, the band has played Ever South in public, Patterson debuted it in Little Rock and played it both nights he was there. We got a lot of really good stuff that weekend and none of us have really written a full account. I myself honestly felt a little bad for those of you who weren't there and didn't want to brag.
Awright! Thanks John. ;)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

Cooley is definitely on a roll.

John A Arkansawyer

Now that I'm listening to it again, I think the one from Friday night I've been calling Surrender Under Protest (If You Must) is likelier to be called Compelled But Not Defeated. It's pretty damn good.
From the comfort zone of history
On the lips of trusted ...
To the .... frightened lies of angry ...
No sooner was it over
Than the memory made it noble
A selective lens by which to point the view

Compelled but not defeated
Surrender under protest if you must

If it's all you can remember
Then it's been that way forever
And for six long generations it's been told
That among the fallen was tradition
That tradition was the mission
And that the wrongness of the sin was not the goal

Does the color really matter
On the face you bring to failure
All the shaming for a ... losing cause
.... belligerence and aggressions (?)
Just remain each others' others
And the instigators never fight their own

The floor is open to amendments.