New songs thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

LBRod

Re: New songs thread

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I'm sure I'll love it when I can understand one fucking word.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

one belt loop wrote:I'm sure I'll love it when I can understand one fucking word.
I'll give it a shot, probably way off though.

?in a dumpster as a stale smell rises through the ? Summer haze
To the rhythm of a ? Hipster cowgirl???
Monday mayhem the last of the AM's dash on a powered release?
To the rest of the day in the afternoon's rising relentlessly stifling heat

Up around the corner a ? Model Mazda sitting crooked between the lines
Feeling lucky that 27's the hardest thing she'll have to survive
Just don't mix your ?browns? With your whites and your wines and don't sit on your cigarettes
You'll feel like shit soon enough??????

That's what a life feels like for children caught between dog days when night turns them loose?
Its different for girls..???

Everyone's claiming the times are a changing as days pass them by
And everyone's right
Way down beneath all the talking and??? Reasons, excuses and doubts
???? Start to figure it out
But the old mans world was ??? More cut and dry

Now girls collect trophies as much as the boys and come home just as filthy and fried
Girls collect trophies as much as the boys and come home just as filthy and fried

To be continued
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Is anyone able to provide a breakdown of all the new tunes and who's songs they are?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Gaetzi wrote:Is anyone able to provide a breakdown of all the new tunes and who's songs they are?
Ramon Casiano, Surrender Under Protest, and Filthy & Fried are Cooley, What It Means, Guns of Umpqua, Ever South, and Darkened Flags (might have that wrong) are Patterson.

Smitty, I think "dash" might be "gasoline powered release," and I hear "the old man's world was more doing than thinking..."
Last edited by Duke Silver on Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Thanks Duke!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

After hearing several of the new songs again the past 2 nights "Surrender Under Protest" is my new favorite new song.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

OldCloverdale wrote:Seeing Patterson perform "What It Means" in Selma -- as the area was preparing for the 50th anniversary of the Bridge Crossing -- was a special moment.

I was there! Great show.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

So who wants to put links to all available new songs in one post? I'm thinking this is a job for my man Smitty :D
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

"Ever South" is my new favorite. Goddamn what a song. Although I wasn't crazy about it at first, the vocals on all the new ones were pristine in Birmingham and I really sat back and listened to the lyrics and holy shit has Patterson knocked it out of the park with this one. I think he referred to it as an update to "the Southern Thing" and it really is perfect for any year but especially 2016. I was and still am in awe. Musically it's a brute as well; goddamn that bass line...

and my Christian Southern brethren will all tell you the what for
Keep your heathen ways behind you and your shoes outside the door
Take your stand for noble causes till you just can't stand no more
and surrender to some savior praise the Lord
Surrender to some savior praise the Lord

But despite our best intentions, it pains me to report
We keep swinging for the fences coming up a little short
We sure can get it wrong for someone so devout
See you whistling past the graveyard looking down
Whistling past the graveyard looking down

Ever southern in my carriage ever southern in my stance
From the Irish of my complexion to the Scottish in my dance
and the way I bang my head on my daily circumstance

Let this blue eyed southern devil take you out on the prowl
with decadence and charm we'll take it into town
Tell you stories of our fathers and the glory of our house
Always told a little slower, ever south
Always told a little slower Ever South

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

There's also another new one called "When the Sun Don't Shine" that ain't accounted for yet.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:"Ever South" is my new favorite. Goddamn what a song. Although I wasn't crazy about it at first, the vocals on all the new ones were pristine in Birmingham and I really sat back and listened to the lyrics and holy shit has Patterson knocked it out of the park with this one. I think he referred to it as an update to "the Southern Thing" and it really is perfect for any year but especially 2016. I was and still am in awe. Musically it's a brute as well; goddamn that bass line...

and my Christian Southern brethren will all tell you the what for
Keep your heathen ways behind you and your shoes outside the door
Take your stand for noble causes till you just can't stand no more
and surrender to some savior praise the Lord
Surrender to some savior praise the Lord

We sure can get it wrong for someone so devout
See you whistling past the graveyard looking down
Whistling past the graveyard looking down

Ever southern in my carriage ever southern in my stance
From the Irish of my complexion to the Scottish in my dance
and the way I bang my head on my daily circumstance

Let this blue eyed southern devil take you out on the prowl
with decadence and charm we'll take it into town
Tell you stories of our fathers and the glory of our house
Always told a little slower, ever south
Always told a little slower Ever South
Yeah, this one is my favorite for sure long with Cooley's Ramon Casiano. Really looking forward to this record.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Every now and then, Patterson makes a word choice that drives me batty, and I think maybe I've found the clue: He likes the word "intentions" way too much.
I'm not sure that's a fair description of southerners because I'm not sure our intentions can be fairly characterized as good. If I were rewriting that song--now there's a ridiculous idea!--but if I were, I'd change "best intentions" to "aspirations". We definitely have aspirations; whether they're well-intentioned is unclear at best. That's a little thing, though.

The one that truly does bother me is one he got right the first time (in my opinion) and has changed since, and that's The Righteous Path. When the hapless "guy I've known all my life" has a list of bad intentions rather than bad decisions, he stops being hapless and starts being a scumbag and my sympathy drops. Now, this is the same theory on which Black Lives Matter was told to stop defending people wrongly killed while questionable things and focus on people clearly innocent of everything. I don't accept that; maybe I should accept Patterson making the guy less likeable yet advocating for him. I admire the impulse to defend, within the bounds of conscience, the worst among us. I just don't always share it.

Or maybe I just see too much of myself in that guy--the details map so closely to mine--and began empathizing with him when I first heard that song, probably at one or both of my first two shows. Maybe it's a better song when it empathizes with those harder to empathize with. Like Springsteen, Patterson does that a lot and makes me like it: My Sweet Annette, Bulldozers and Dirt, Fourth Night of My Drinking, and there are others. I don't know for certain what to think; I do know what it makes me feel. Funny that I listened to Think As A Brick last thing before heading to the show Wednesday, because this puts its third line--"I may make you feel but I can't make you think"--in my head now.

This has been your morning moment of a pissy amateur writer whining about someone better at it than he ever was.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I haven't been studying the new stuff with a fine tooth comb or anything but of the new material they broke out during the recent Cradle show, "Ever South" is the one that resonated with me most. I have a sneaking suspicion this is going to be a motherfucker of a record.

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

also "When the Banned Imagine" (not certain that is the title) is another Cooley song.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion this is going to be a motherfucker of a record.
This.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

ramonz wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion this is going to be a motherfucker of a record.
This.
Yep, every single song I've heard has been grade A material. I'm a fanboy slut so I've dug every record, but I honestly and objectively believe this has potential to be one the best yet. Lyrically it's got a wider scope than what I normally prefer; most of the time I'm drawn to more personal subject matter (think Decoration Day) than political but this time around the songs are so Damon strong it's an exception. They really seem to capture the zeitgeist of where America's at right now and of course I'm thankful to have the voice of a liberal white southerner expressed at a time when we're really not that represented; I haven't been too proud of most of the shit said lately with a southern accent in music and the media, to say the least.

But writing aside, their playing is the absolute best it's EVER been in my opinion. They're tight as hell without sounding sterile or rehearsed at all; the songs feel alive and don't ever sound the same two nights in a row.

I'm fucking stoked.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

They started the record in the fall right after a two show Nashville run that were two of the best shows I've ever seen. The band was tight in performance and loose in spirit and I can't imagine how going into the studio on that high didn't supercharge the recordings. The songs are phenomenal. Ramon Casiano sounds like a they've been playing forever, What it Means is topical and powerful and Ever South has some of my favorite lines from anyone in years. Yeah, we're in for a treat.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:They started the record in the fall right after a two show Nashville run that were two of the best shows I've ever seen. The band was tight in performance and loose in spirit and I can't imagine how going into the studio on that high didn't supercharge the recordings. The songs are phenomenal. Ramon Casiano sounds like a they've been playing forever, What it Means is topical and powerful and Ever South has some of my favorite lines from anyone in years. Yeah, we're in for a treat.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Super excited about a new record, though I wish they'd join the 21st century in terms of getting an album out......it doesn't take a year to make a record anymore, boys! :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Super excited about a new record, though I wish they'd join the 21st century in terms of getting an album out......it doesn't take a year to make a record anymore, boys! :lol:
Actually with putting out vinyl it's close. It's 4 plus months from mastering to final cut for almost any artist, longer for smaller acts. The vinyl manufacturers have increased capacity but with no one knowing what numbers the industry will settle in at they're not going hog wild with investment. DBT recorded in two sessions in October and I think January, mixed in mid February and mastered in March. With the 4 months lead time on the vinyl that puts them in the last week in July or first week in August with a month to package, distribute and ship. That puts you into September which is when the record is likely to come out. I guess theoretically they could have recorded it faster but you have 5 band members living in 5 states (OR, AL, GA, SC & MS) with the holidays in between the sessions and these are family men. Not sure where they could have cut time.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Release the vinyl later. Wilco can write an album on Friday and release the mp3's on Sunday. Sure, bigger band, etc. but more and more bands are accelerating the process. This isn't Metallica spending 18 months in the studio to make ten songs

John A Arkansawyer

Zip City wrote:Release the vinyl later. Wilco can write an album on Friday and release the mp3's on Sunday. Sure, bigger band, etc. but more and more bands are accelerating the process. This isn't Metallica spending 18 months in the studio to make ten songs
I'm so glad the wife and I decided to look at our kid in person before we knew the kid's sex. It was very satisfying.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Release the vinyl later. Wilco can write an album on Friday and release the mp3's on Sunday. Sure, bigger band, etc. but more and more bands are accelerating the process. This isn't Metallica spending 18 months in the studio to make ten songs
These guys consider the vinyl to be the album. I get it that the Wilco vinyl was 5 months later, that's not who this band is or at least I don't think so. I'm not sure I get why it matters.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
These guys consider the vinyl to be the album. I get it that the Wilco vinyl was 5 months later, that's not who this band is or at least I don't think so. I'm not sure I get why it matters.
The songs are recorded, mixed and mastered. Fans are hearing them at shows and are excited. But you're going to delay the release six months for the 1% who buy vinyl? If you cater to the niche format, you'll keep being a niche band.

But hey, if it's working for them, so be it. I just think a six month delay between mastering and release is silly in this day and age

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Because we live in an age of instant gratification. At my last job, I wrote a tiny little utility in about thirty minutes that gave every-five-second updates on the status of all our jobs running in on our data warehouse for business users. Simple, brain-dead code, impossible to mess up, easy to maintain. Later they spent I don't know how many thousands of dollars so that someone in a suit in a top-floor corner office could sit there and click-click-click that web page so as to know RIGHT THEN WHETHER THE JOB HAD FINISHED SINCE THE LAST CLICK. That sort of information is occasionally useful to technical people for troubleshooting and performance analysis; it is of no use at all to someone at that level. But they got it anyway.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

That has nothing to do with anything

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

John A Arkansawyer

Zip City wrote:That has nothing to do with anything
Maybe not. So why don't you explain what the actual benefit is to doing it the way you want it done? Because all you're saying is 1) it's faster and 2) other people do it that way. Those strike me as incredibly thin reeds on which to make a decision. Seriously, dude--who exactly is not going to buy this album because it comes out in October instead of May? What money are they leaving on the table? And have you considered that, in as much as DBT is not as big a band as Wilco, perhaps they trade time spent promoting the product in advance for money not spent out of their pockets doing advertising and promotion? Maybe it takes longer to promote it effectively given their particular situation.

So go on. Tell us why your preference is better. Like H. Ross Perot, I'm all ears.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I made a witty post about Xmas only coming once a year despite Santa having the ability to deliver toys year round but it got ate.